13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 56
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    gatorguy said:
    Soli said:
    gatorguy said:
    clarker99 said:
    Yeah the past 15 years taught me to ignore the noise.

iPhone not supporting a standard that no carrier yet supports?!?!!

DOOMED.

Reminds me of when 4G was the latest craze and carriers were passing off unfinished crap as "4G".
    It is pretty much a throw everything against the wall approach so they can say, ‘we did it first’. 

I am fine with companies pushing new things but when a main selling feature is something that cannot be used or even readily available for 2years?
    Whether it matters depends on how long you plan to keep your 2019 iPhone.
    Give me a duration.

2 years? Infrastructure still won't be built out, even regulations could still need ironing out, and cities that claim to support 5G will only have 5G in a few locations thereby making it pretty pointless extra for those who are easily tricked by iffy marketing data about how a carrier has "5G in over 30 cities."

5 years? Infrastructure still won't be built out across cities the same way it is now for 4G or to the same extent 3G and 4G were within a 5 year timeframe since we're talking about higher frequencies needing more towers compared to what we saw with 2G to 3G to 4G conversions. Then there are obstacles, like buildings affecting 5G where the fallback will be 4G. Additionally, if we're talking about people that keep a device for 5 years you're not taking about a user that gives a shit about buying a device that might be faster in a select area a half a decade down the road. They simply don't think that way; it's those that buy the latest devices on an annual basic that care most about real world performance specs, which is why these reasonable iPhone buyers aren't going to care an iPhone with 5G that can't be used.
    You're correct that in large effect it may not impact most users, altho those in a big metropolis may regret not having a 5G capable phone 3-5 years down the road even if the real-world benefits haven't completely caught up with the promise.

Absolutely nobody will regret not having 5G as 4G is already faster than what people need.

"Absolutely nobody will regret not having a horseless carriage as horses are already faster than what people need."
    ... Fixed that for you....

cornchip
  • Reply 42 of 56
    Ok, as I understand this article, Apple's inability to supply 5G capable phones because they can't find a provider willing and able to work with them is not a problem because it's Apple and Apple can do no wrong.

Got it.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 43 of 56

Absolutely nobody will regret not having 5G as 4G is already faster than what people need.

"Absolutely nobody will regret not having a horseless carriage as horses are already faster than what people need."

I love how you cut out the part of his post explaining exactly why he believes that statement to be true. It's almost as if you didn't want to address that part, and just wanted to make a pithy comment...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 56
    Lordhan said:
    Foldable phones will be flops.. even at the cheaper price, because it is difficult to imagine to most of the people actually carry and use it in their day to day life.
    Both of the folding phones introduced are capable of being used either in regular phone mode or in tablet mode at the user's discretion.
    Why is it hard to imagine that people would carry one or use one since they already use both?

In truth, Apple is starting to fall behind in both phone-to-tablet devices as well as tablet-to-laptop devices.
    They could close that gap anytime they chose.   But, so far, they have chosen not to.   Is it because the products "aren't ready" or because Apple is stuck in single use product type vision?  Hopefully it is not the latter, but that would be consistent with their minimalist design approach.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 45 of 56
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    gatorguy said:
    Soli said:
    gatorguy said:
    clarker99 said:

DOOMED.

Reminds me of when 4G was the latest craze and carriers were passing off unfinished crap as "4G".
    It is pretty much a throw everything against the wall approach so they can say, ‘we did it first’. 

I am fine with companies pushing new things but when a main selling feature is something that cannot be used or even readily available for 2years?
    Give me a duration.

2 years? Infrastructure still won't be built out, even regulations could still need ironing out, and cities that claim to support 5G will only have 5G in a few locations thereby making it pretty pointless extra for those who are easily tricked by iffy marketing data about how a carrier has "5G in over 30 cities."

5 years? Infrastructure still won't be built out across cities the same way it is now for 4G or to the same extent 3G and 4G were within a 5 year timeframe since we're talking about higher frequencies needing more towers compared to what we saw with 2G to 3G to 4G conversions. Then there are obstacles, like buildings affecting 5G where the fallback will be 4G. Additionally, if we're talking about people that keep a device for 5 years you're not taking about a user that gives a shit about buying a device that might be faster in a select area a half a decade down the road. They simply don't think that way; it's those that buy the latest devices on an annual basic that care most about real world performance specs, which is why these reasonable iPhone buyers aren't going to care an iPhone with 5G that can't be used.
    You're correct that in large effect it may not impact most users, altho those in a big metropolis may regret not having a 5G capable phone 3-5 years down the road even if the real-world benefits haven't completely caught up with the promise.

I remember getting gigabit Internet at home a few years back. Literally 10x faster than the old 100mb service I had. You couldn't tell the difference. Web pages all loaded at about the same speed, all our online games played the same and so on. This is because the limiting factor wasn't how fast MY connection was, it was how fast the servers at the other end would DELIVER content to me. People are dreaming if they think that because you have gigabit speed that a server is going to likewise allocate a full gigabit of bandwidth just to you.

The only time it made a difference if I was downloading multiple things at once (game patches or movies, for example). Only then could I hit my theoretical maximum speed. And who is ever going to be downloading large files like that to their phone?

BTW, in case you missed it, MOST phones sold by everyone yapping about their latest 5G phone are 4G. Samsung released 4 new models of the S10. The 3 most popular are all 4G and the most expensive (and likely least popular seller) has 5G. Does that mean Samsung is stupid for selling brand new phones that DON'T have 5G? Is the S10 a failure because it won't work on 5G in a couple years?
    I don't think anyone implied it was "stupid for selling brand new phones that DON'T have 5G".

If Apple offers it next year (2020) as expected even tho the infrastructure still isn't built out yet then some Apple fans, perhaps even you, won't hesitate anyway in declaring it to be amazing, blazingly fast, so useful, don't wait you gotta get this, so much better than the way "competitor A" did it, and so much more profitable too....
    even if it in reality it made little difference to the consumer anyway as you've been saying. Buyers are just convinced it does because, well, marketing works. It's proven so.

Surely you've seen editorials here and elsewhere that the smartphone industry is looking at 5G as the next big sales driver, Apple included. So how many years in a row now have we seen articles talking about "this year is the super-cycle" and sales will leap sky-high because whatever? Well 5G is supposedly the reason why this time it's for real. We mean it. Honest. Sales are gonna skyrocket.

I personally doubt it, but I guess we'll see.
    edited March 2019 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 46 of 56
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,693member
    wood1208 said:
    Apple never participated in MWC but Apple's silent presence is always there, felt.
    It isn't.

MWC is an industry fair NOT a CE fair.

The focus of the fair is not handsets. This is the kind of stuff that is dealt with:

http://carrier.huawei.com/en/events/mwc2019
    edited March 2019 gatorguysphericmuthuk_vanalingamGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 47 of 56
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,693member
    Nice to see I've upset the two resident trolls who try to be pedantic when they knew exactly what I'm talking about.

I never stated that MWC "itself" was always talking about Apple. It's all the media that reports on all the new devices and technology that drag Apple into every discussion. Do you deny that this is happening?
    If you say MWC, expect people to read it as MWC. 

If you mean 'the media reporting on MWC', why not just come out and say it?

Of course, if you did that, your comment would lose focus and fall into the bag of 'anti Apple narrative' which hasn't been representative of MWC or the media reporting on it to any appreciable degree. Understandable really because Apple isn't a communications company.

The media simply isn't dragging Apple into every discussion. That isn't the case at all. The media is talking about 5G and the 5G players because MWC2018/19 were dominated by 5G.

Apple has one big phone splash every year. The 2018 refresh is now old news. 5G is the newsworthy item and the handset/device makers have taken advantage of the media attention to announce new products. What MWC is really about is deal making and industry progress.

edited March 2019 muthuk_vanalingamGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 48 of 56
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member
    Good article overall, but I disagree with the following statement and am going to nitpick:

"Apple appears to be unique in being able to correctly envision what its customers will want, and then actually develop working, finished ideas it is then able to ship and—most importantly—sell to buyers in significant volumes. "

There is a difference between being correct in "what the customer wants" and "selling a lot of items to customers".   What I mean is that if I were given the option I would 100% buy a phone with a headphone port, but Apple doesn't afford me that option unless I want their older tech.  I 100% want expandable storage, even if that storage is limited only to the photos folder.  But Apple doesn't give me that option.  I am a loyal Apple user so the garbage other companies put out are not options for me.  

In no way does that mean Apple has some sort of 6th sense about what I want.  What they are good at is putting together an entire product that as a whole is more reliable and easier to use than the alternatives.  
    edited March 2019 gatorguymuthuk_vanalingamrandominternetperson
  • Reply 49 of 56
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member

DOOMED.

Still barely have reliable 4G in my area (though I am on T-mobile) :p not holding my breath for 5G. My 5S wouldn't be able to use it anyway 😅
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 56
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

gatorguy said:
    Soli said:
    gatorguy said:
    clarker99 said:

DOOMED.

Give me a duration.

In 5 years users will regret having 5 year old phones....
    LOL! True dat.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 51 of 56
    rr41rr41 Posts: 10member
    Denial of reality is not a good sign.
  • Reply 52 of 56
    Ok, as I understand this article, Apple's inability to supply 5G capable phones because they can't find a provider willing and able to work with them is not a problem because it's Apple and Apple can do no wrong.

Got it.
    And they can't do a foldable phone because Samsung would not sell them the screens.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 53 of 56
    airnerd said:
    Good article overall, but I disagree with the following statement and am going to nitpick:

"Apple appears to be unique in being able to correctly envision what its customers will want, and then actually develop working, finished ideas it is then able to ship and—most importantly—sell to buyers in significant volumes. "

There is a difference between being correct in "what the customer wants" and "selling a lot of items to customers".   What I mean is that if I were given the option I would 100% buy a phone with a headphone port, but Apple doesn't afford me that option unless I want their older tech.  I 100% want expandable storage, even if that storage is limited only to the photos folder.  But Apple doesn't give me that option.  I am a loyal Apple user so the garbage other companies put out are not options for me.  

In no way does that mean Apple has some sort of 6th sense about what I want.  What they are good at is putting together an entire product that as a whole is more reliable and easier to use than the alternatives.  
    Maybe Apple was unique 6 to 10 years ago, nowadays is only a runner up.
  • Reply 54 of 56
    gatorguy said:

gatorguy said:
    Soli said:
    gatorguy said:
    clarker99 said:

DOOMED.

Give me a duration.

In 5 years users will regret having 5 year old phones....
    LOL! True dat.
    It was probably true for phones launched before 2016 (particularly in terms of performance). It may not be the case any more, especially if someone spent >$500 for their latest phone.
  • Reply 55 of 56
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    Soli said:
    gatorguy said:
    clarker99 said:

DOOMED.

Give me a duration.

I remember getting gigabit Internet at home a few years back. Literally 10x faster than the old 100mb service I had. You couldn't tell the difference. Web pages all loaded at about the same speed, all our online games played the same and so on. This is because the limiting factor wasn't how fast MY connection was, it was how fast the servers at the other end would DELIVER content to me. People are dreaming if they think that because you have gigabit speed that a server is going to likewise allocate a full gigabit of bandwidth just to you.

The only time it made a difference if I was downloading multiple things at once (game patches or movies, for example). Only then could I hit my theoretical maximum speed. And who is ever going to be downloading large files like that to their phone?

BTW, in case you missed it, MOST phones sold by everyone yapping about their latest 5G phone are 4G. Samsung released 4 new models of the S10. The 3 most popular are all 4G and the most expensive (and likely least popular seller) has 5G. Does that mean Samsung is stupid for selling brand new phones that DON'T have 5G? Is the S10 a failure because it won't work on 5G in a couple years?
    I don't think anyone implied it was "stupid for selling brand new phones that DON'T have 5G".

It's not a matter of smart or stupid.   They can't.  They don't have a supplier willing & able to sell them the modems.
  • Reply 56 of 56

I love how you cut out the part of his post explaining exactly why he believes that statement to be true. It's almost as if you didn't want to address that part, and just wanted to make a pithy comment...
    I think your horse needs to be fed.