Disney+ streaming service to offer entire Disney movie catalog, including 'Disney Vault' t...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2019
Disney CEO Bob Iger at the company's annual shareholders meeting on Thursday confirmed that the forthcoming Disney+ streaming service will incorporate Disney's entire movie library, including classic films that often remain out of circulation.

Disney

Speaking to shareholders at the Stifel Theatre in St. Louis, Mo., Iger said Disney+ will incorporate new films alongside classics typically siloed in the so-called "Disney Vault," reports Polygon. Disney's entire movie library will land on the service "fairly soon after launch."

"It's going to combine both the old and the new," Iger said. "All of the films that we're releasing this year, [starting] with Captain Marvel, will also be on the service."

Traditionally, Disney has maintained demand for older films by keeping them out of circulation for long stretches before making them available as limited releases. That system, dubbed the "Disney Vault," will apparently be succeeded by Disney+ once the service launches later this year.

"The service, which I mentioned earlier is going to launch later in the year, is going to combine what we call library product, movies, and television, with a lot of original product as well, movies and television," Iger said. "And at some point fairly soon after launch it will house the entire Disney motion picture library, so the movies that you speak of that traditionally have been kept in a 'vault' and brought out basically every few years will be on the service."

Turnaround times for recent releases could be relatively slow, however, as Iger said new movies are planned to reach the service within a year of their theatrical debut.

Disney is also producing straight-to-streaming original series in a bid to compete with industry stalwarts Netflix and Amazon. The studio previously announced plans to build on its Marvel and Star Wars properties as part of the push into streaming content, including a "Rogue One" prequel centered around character Cassian Andor.

Disney announced plans to launch its own streaming product last year in what was effectively a death knell for third-party availability.

Apple is also working on a streaming product rumored for unveiling in March. The tech giant is slowly building out a slate of original content from big-name Hollywood production companies, as well as smaller studios with industry cachet.

With Disney and Apple primed to enter the streaming market as competitors, some question whether Iger can continue as a member of Apple's board of directors. A report this week theorized Apple might ask Iger to vacate his seat citing a potential conflict of interest.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    DIdn’t they used to call it “Vault Disney”? 

I’m curious if they’ll be streaming in 4K. My guess is yes but I don’t see that mentioned. I currently have Netflix and Hulu and so far don’t mind paying for both as we use them enough. Disney+ seems like a service I’ll subscribe to for a month here and there, just to get caught up on stuff, maybe. 

It also seems like it may be a tough sell, considering Disney will still be releasing the new stuff in theaters and I imagine still on traditional media that can be purchased or rented. If I can run down the street and get, say, Captain Marvel on Blu-ray from Redbox there isn’t a huge incentive for me to be paying a monthly fee to Disney to see it there.  Whereas with Netflix content there’s nowhere to see it but on Netflix.

Either way, this will be interesting.

Oh, and who thinks Disney+ will be showing Song of the South?
    edited March 2019 entropystrashman69beowulfschmidtJaiOh81
  • Reply 2 of 42
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    It's like they've been planning it for years with their purchase of Studio Ghibli, Marvel, Star Wars, Fox etc.

I wish Apple would acquire some studios.
    edited March 2019 lolliver
  • Reply 3 of 42
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member

I’m curious if they’ll be streaming in 4K. My guess is yes but I don’t see that mentioned. I currently have Netflix and Hulu and so far don’t mind paying for both as we use them enough. Disney+ seems like a service I’ll subscribe to for a month here and there, just to get caught up on stuff, maybe. 

It also seems like it may be a tough sell, considering Disney will still be releasing the new stuff in theaters and I imagine still on traditional media that can be purchased or rented. If I can run down the street and get, say, Captain Marvel on Blu-ray from Redbox there isn’t a huge incentive for me to be paying a monthly fee to Disney to see it there.  Whereas with Netflix content there’s nowhere to see it but on Netflix.

I bet they keep Pochontas that had English jumping off a ship armored like Spanish Conquistadors equipped with pick-axes immediately digging for gold.
  • Reply 4 of 42
    supadav03supadav03 Posts: 503member

Hopefully they will stream 4K but I wouldn’t count on it. No 4K in Movies Anywhere which is also Disney. This is not a hard sell. As someone with 4 kids, do you know how often they rewatch movies? I can recite half of Disney’s movies line for line because kids gets obsessed with movies. Plus the Marvel & Star Wars universes are so well done they are always worth a revisit. There will be good amount of originals content too (like the Mandalorian & Tom Hiddleson’s Loki) and likely a back library of Disney cartoons (from the Saturday Morning cartoon series) and Disney shows like Hanna Montana, High School Musical, Kim Possible. I think you greatly underestimate their library of content and it’s appeal. 

And on Song of the South (and I’ve seen this asked a lot today) I think it’s zero chance. I wish they would. It’s  only Disney movie I don’t own on Blu-ray. I’ve searched eBay, garage sales, collectible stores, etc. Pretty sure I remember reading a few years ago where Disney said that movie would NEVER be re-released. 
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 5 of 42
    supadav03 said:

And on Song of the South (and I’ve seen this asked a lot today) I think it’s zero chance. I wish they would. It’s  only Disney movie I don’t own on Blu-ray. I’ve searched eBay, garage sales, collectible stores, etc. Pretty sure I remember reading a few years ago where Disney said that movie would NEVER be re-released. 
    I think it was never released on home video because Disney took heat for its racial overtones. I know I liked that movie as a kid but I barely remember it. Interesting that Splash Mountain, one of Disney’s more popular rides, is based on Song of the South but that’s as close as they seem to want to get.
  • Reply 6 of 42

I bet they keep Pochontas that had English jumping off a ship armored like Spanish Conquistadors equipped with pick-axes immediately digging for gold.
    That reminds me of when German director Roland Emmerich depicted the British burning Americans in a church alive in the movie The Patriot when it was really the Nazis who did that in WWII and not the British during the American Revolution.
    MacProchristophb
  • Reply 7 of 42
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,020member
    As a fan of classic Disney (anything while Walt Disney was alive), I am stoked to hear this news. I have most of the Walt Disney Treasure DVDs and since I no longer have a DVD player this is awesome! I hope that both the format of the service, and the price point is decent though I can easily see them charging a premium for such a service. It would be nice if they had different tiers as I personally think everything produced after the early 90's is pure garbage (not including Pixar!)
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 8 of 42
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    It's like they've been planning it for years with their purchase of Studio Ghibli, Marvel, Star Wars, Fox etc.

I wish Apple would acquire some studios.
    I can see tons of families getting this.  As a single adult male I’ve very few of the Apple content seems appealing.   It all sounds very “Safe” in a family sense.   Hopefully they will have somethings on par with West World or Game of Throwns to lure subscribers in.   I got HBO just because of GOT.
    AppleExposedtrashman69robertsmtyler82
  • Reply 9 of 42
    supadav03 said:
    I think it was never released on home video because Disney took heat for its racial overtones. I know I liked that movie as a kid but I barely remember it. Interesting that Splash Mountain, one of Disney’s more popular rides, is based on Song of the South but that’s as close as they seem to want to get.
    It was released sometime in the 90s I think in Europe in PAL format on VHS. I think it may have even made LaserDisc at one point. I have a converted-to-NTSC copy I got when I was a kid from a friend of my parents. I should probably find that and capture it in digital format. 

Also, Disney announced a few years back when Blu-Ray was still new that they’d release SOTS on that format but it never materialized. There are much worse movies in terms of racial undertones that are still available to purchase today on Blu-Ray and digital formats. 
  • Reply 10 of 42
    Under Japanese law it's in the public domain...and well the web is worldwide.

https://archive.org/details/SongOfTheSouth_Disney

studiomusic
  • Reply 11 of 42
    supadav03supadav03 Posts: 503member
    supadav03 said:

100%. Racial overtones were a big issue and would be even bigger in today’s climate. Bob Iger (Disney CEO) said himself Disney wouldn’t re-release it as it was “antiquated” and “fairly offensive”. I think it was released in the 80s in Europe and 90s in Asia on VHS/LaserDisk and clips have been included in different compilation DVDs (all prior to Iger’s comments). There was another article, can’t seen to find it where Disney said they may re-imagine it as oppose to re-releasing it. Think to make it less racist/avoid the racial stereotypes. 
  • Reply 12 of 42
    Song of the South was a great movie that showed love and caring was color blind. All the lonely little boy wanted was Uncle Remus. Didn't matter skin color or anything else. 

I have this on DVD. They released it in England and other countries. You can (or could) get them and have them converted to Region 1. 
  • Reply 13 of 42
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    I don’t care about the “me too” Disney streaming, but it would be unfortunate if they pulled their content from Netflix, Amazon, Apple, etc.

There might be some legal issues if they attempt too... 
  • Reply 14 of 42
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    But will they have Steamboat Willie in 4K?

thos will be great for anyone who has kids. I’m curious to see if this will be only ‘Disney’ titles or if it will include all their other studios like Pixar, etc. the fact that they mention Star Wars and Marvel titles makes me hopeful it will be more than straight Disney

ironically, this may be an example of  competition not being good for the consumer. If there are 40 different streaming services and each one keeps the ‘prime’ content for itself, you end up paying more for multiple services rather than being able to have one or two subscriptions that cover everything.    
    applesnoranges
  • Reply 15 of 42
    pigybankpigybank Posts: 178member
    Dumb. The last thing we all need is another streaming service.
  • Reply 16 of 42
    LatkoLatko Posts: 398member
    If Disney & Apple aren’t collaborating, Cook should have removed the Iger character from the Apple Board. So probably Apple will offer a portal to this service.
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 17 of 42
    Apple's streaming service is DOA.  There's no way they compete with this.
  • Reply 18 of 42
    Oooh, how about the Buzz Lightyear TV series?
  • Reply 19 of 42
    supadav03 said:

If you know anyone in Canada, especially Quebec, try asking them.
  • Reply 20 of 42
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    I don’t care about the “me too” Disney streaming, but it would be unfortunate if they pulled their content from Netflix, Amazon, Apple, etc.

There might be some legal issues if they attempt too... 
    Already done as far as Netflix. I believe the last of the Disney contracts expire this year, after which no Disney property will be available on Netflix. That includes Star Wars and Marvel stuff.
    tycho_macuser