Next-generation 'budget' iPad rumored to retain Touch ID, headphone jack

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    MisterKitMisterKit Posts: 496member
    MisterKit said:
    A few thoughts.

The lower cost iPads are more than enough for many of us. I have not come to any limitations on my 2017 that cost $249 on a 2017 Black Friday deal. The base model is a sweet spot at regular prices, a giveaway at sale prices.

It makes little sense to expect iPad Pro specs in an introductory level priced standard iPad.

No 3.5mm analog audio output renders any iPad useless for my needs.

Cant wait for a Mini 5. 
    renders it useless? you are unable to use a digital port or an analog adapter? the future is not bright for you. 
    It is not practical for me to sacrifice the lightning port for audio output. By having both lightning and 3.5mm there is no need to introduce any additional hubs or interfaces to get my work done on the go. That’s just how simple it is.
    baconstangmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 22 of 53
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member
    MisterKit said:
    MisterKit said:
    A few thoughts.

The lower cost iPads are more than enough for many of us. I have not come to any limitations on my 2017 that cost $249 on a 2017 Black Friday deal. The base model is a sweet spot at regular prices, a giveaway at sale prices.

It makes little sense to expect iPad Pro specs in an introductory level priced standard iPad.

Cant wait for a Mini 5. 
    renders it useless? you are unable to use a digital port or an analog adapter? the future is not bright for you. 
    It is not practical for me to sacrifice the lightning port for audio output. By having both lightning and 3.5mm there is no need to introduce any additional hubs or interfaces to get my work done on the go. That’s just how simple it is.
    Calling this little thing a hub is a bit of a stretch.

https://www.amazon.com/Lightning-Headphone-Splitter-Earphone-Connector/dp/B07N3Z6PVQ/
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 23 of 53
    payeco said:
    MisterKit said:
    MisterKit said:
    A few thoughts.

Cant wait for a Mini 5. 

https://www.amazon.com/Lightning-Headphone-Splitter-Earphone-Connector/dp/B07N3Z6PVQ/
    In agreement. That is a device to have. On second thought if it is only for charging and not a full lightning port access it has limited function. if it allows lightning MIDI input and audio out it’s a winner.
    edited March 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 53
    LaraCroft836LaraCroft836 Posts: 8unconfirmed, member
    lets all just chill until they officially announce it and those not prepared to buy a Pro now have a cheaper alternative

watto_cobramuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 25 of 53
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Probably more important to the 'Budget' iPad than what it will do for individual consumers is how it will deal with the epidemic of Chromebooks in schools.  Essentially, Google is crushing Apple in that arena and, like McDonald's Happy Meals, indoctrinating young people into its ecosystem early on.  
    That’s a trendy narrative, but can you point to any sales data? What Google chromebooks are selling outside of education? How many years do we have to wait to see this great commercial success? Because as far as I can too, chromebooks still suck for regular people. 
    Sorry, but Chromebooks are crushing Apple in schools.   And, yes, kids are being indoctrinated into that system.
    While you are correct that Chromebooks suck and adults hate them, that will become increasingly less true as 5G proliferates and makes instant response normal.

It was Apple who initiated the push back into education with the iPad Gen6 -- but they need to keep up -- and up their game -- to win that battle.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 26 of 53
    MisterKit said:
    payeco said:
    MisterKit said:
    MisterKit said:
    A few thoughts.

Cant wait for a Mini 5. 

In agreement. That is a device to have. On second thought if it is only for charging and not a full lightning port access it has limited function. if it allows lightning MIDI input and audio out it’s a winner.
    There are others that can do lightning data as well, they’re just more expensive.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 53
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    Probably more important to the 'Budget' iPad than what it will do for individual consumers is how it will deal with the epidemic of Chromebooks in schools.  Essentially, Google is crushing Apple in that arena and, like McDonald's Happy Meals, indoctrinating young people into its ecosystem early on.  
    That’s a trendy narrative, but can you point to any sales data? What Google chromebooks are selling outside of education? How many years do we have to wait to see this great commercial success? Because as far as I can too, chromebooks still suck for regular people. 
    Sorry, but Chromebooks are crushing Apple in schools.   And, yes, kids are being indoctrinated into that system.
    While you are correct that Chromebooks suck and adults hate them, that will become increasingly less true as 5G proliferates and makes instant response normal.

It was Apple who initiated the push back into education with the iPad Gen6 -- but they need to keep up -- and up their game -- to win that battle.
    We've seen that movie before: "The Network is the Computer" motto of the late 90s... They've spectacularly gone out of business. Besides, what if Chromebooks are crushing Apple in schools? Apple has already conquered homes. You are talking about a generation who use a trackpad with both hands. Indoctrination or whatever does not apply to them...
    watto_cobrachiaStrangeDays
  • Reply 28 of 53
    Apple will probably step up the RAM and SoC to be more fitting for iOS 13. Look for 3GB RAM and A11!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 53
    Target has iPad 6 today for $249
    watto_cobraGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 30 of 53
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    To all those asking about the 3.5mm jack:
    Anything aimed at the education market needs to retain the audio jack, as the alternatives are far too costly for a school.
    • Lightning headphones: still so much more expensive than their 3.5mm counterparts, and students are unlikely to have their own, whereas they will have their own 3.5mm headphones. 
    • Lightning adaptors: not cheap, breakable, and prone to disappear into student’s pockets. 
    • Wireless headphones: again, expensive, and more prone to breaking than 3.5mm alternatives. 
    I’m a classroom music teacher in the UK, and have been doing the job for 26 years. The iPad is something many schools in the UK are beginning to provide to students: if the headphone jack disappears, so will that market for Apple. 

Seems a brutal synopsis for exceptional occurrences. Lightning headphones are supplied with the product as are adapters and with 3 generations of iPhones providing ‘spare’ headphones, is it that big a deal?
    watto_cobrachia
  • Reply 31 of 53

Have you actually talked to any of these kids who are using these Chromebooks? I have. Ask any of them and they’ll all tell you Chromebooks are junk.
    watto_cobrachiaStrangeDays
  • Reply 32 of 53
    mcdave said:
    To all those asking about the 3.5mm jack:
    Anything aimed at the education market needs to retain the audio jack, as the alternatives are far too costly for a school.
    • Lightning headphones: still so much more expensive than their 3.5mm counterparts, and students are unlikely to have their own, whereas they will have their own 3.5mm headphones. 
    • Lightning adaptors: not cheap, breakable, and prone to disappear into student’s pockets. 
    • Wireless headphones: again, expensive, and more prone to breaking than 3.5mm alternatives. 
    I’m a classroom music teacher in the UK, and have been doing the job for 26 years. The iPad is something many schools in the UK are beginning to provide to students: if the headphone jack disappears, so will that market for Apple. 

Seems a brutal synopsis for exceptional occurrences. Lightning headphones are supplied with the product as are adapters and with 3 generations of iPhones providing ‘spare’ headphones, is it that big a deal?
    Well to an extent any usage is “exceptional” - I would imagine the education sector is quite a large one still for Apple (after all, it’s why they named the computer “Macintosh”). There’s no way you could use the supplied headphones with the iPad - they’re too small and too easily stolen. Educational headphones tend to be over-ear and bulky, the type you’d normally expect to have a ¼ inch jack, although companies produce them with 3.5mm jacks specifically for this sort of purpose. The small size of the lightning-3.5mm adaptor is also the reason why that’s not an appropriate solution. Obviously this isn’t a good enough reason on its own for Apple to retain the jack socket, I’m just saying if they do get rid of it they’ve lost the education sector.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 33 of 53

We've seen that movie before: "The Network is the Computer" motto of the late 90s... They've spectacularly gone out of business. Besides, what if Chromebooks are crushing Apple in schools? Apple has already conquered homes. You are talking about a generation who use a trackpad with both hands. Indoctrination or whatever does not apply to them...
    Then why did Apple make the push into schools with the Gen6 iPad?   As I remember, it was introduced in a school.  And, yes, indoctrination applies to every human -- we tend to go with what know and what we feel comfortable with.

(As for using a trackpad with both hands -- that's only because Macs don't have the left & right mouse buttons on the trachpad.  Ya kinda gotta.)
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 34 of 53
    designr said:

We've seen that movie before: "The Network is the Computer" motto of the late 90s... They've spectacularly gone out of business.
    True. But it doesn't mean it still can't happen. I'd argue that those might have been ahead of their time. In many ways the phone has become a hybrid of standalone computer and network computer. The network infrastructure is much, much better than in the 1990s. Heck it's much better than even 10 years ago. That's a key that could make a difference. In fact even Apple is kinda-sorta building this out with iCloud and the ability to offload some things from your phone (and computer). Web-based apps are head-and-shoulders above what they were then. The NC idea is much more feasible today.
    And 5G could shift that equation even further.   Much further.  In fact, that's the intent -- at least for things like remote surgery and self driving cars and trucks:  near immediate response times. 
  • Reply 35 of 53
    payeco said:

Have you actually talked to any of these kids who are using these Chromebooks? I have. Ask any of them and they’ll all tell you Chromebooks are junk.
    Yes, I have.   My grandson for one.   He refuses to use his Gen6 iPad for homework and will only use it for YouTube & such.   He has no problem with Chromebooks or laptops.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 36 of 53
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    I really want a mini 5. It'll be the first new Apple kit I get. I'm hoping for pencil support, but since it'll no doubt have a non-laminated screen, the offset will be slightly disappointing.

My mini 2 does show it's age from time to time, particularly in scrolling. The scrolling (120Hz) of the new Pros is absolutely amazing. Butter smooth. There will be one in my future. The money I save by Apple not having a new phone for me will go towards a Pro. I just have to decide on which one!

I'm wouldn't expect the new non-Pro iPads to change much. Spending money to make significant changes (no earphone jack, include Face ID, no Home button) just doesn't seem likely for a budget model. At least not while preserving Apple's profit margin.

My tax return can't come too soon.
  • Reply 37 of 53
    I am slightly annoyed at the lack of a headphone jack in the iPad Pro, and wish they kept it. I just bought some soft silicone “sleep” headphones for use in bed with my iPhone and precious iPad Air 2, and will probably keep the latter around for watching stuff in bed for that reason alone. I got a USB-C adapter, but obviously switching adapters for both devices would be a pain and defeats the point of the lightning headphones I just bought. Before you say AirPods, I plan to get v2 but not for falling asleep in, or I’ll be searching for them every morning. :)

This is also one of a few reasons after gettting my iPad Pro following my new MacBook Pro that I want the iPhone to move to USB-C — in addition to one charger to rule them all. 
    I think you can't have it both ways... All pro devices support both old school and 'modern' connectors. On the space constrained devices (iPads and iPhones), something has to give.  

As for the iPhone going to the USB-C adaptor... I think what you'll see is all the chargers evolving to a CtoLightning charge connector.   Yes an 'extra' cable if you have iPad Pro, but for the same reason as you like the 3.5mm space, the lightning earbuds are just now reaching critical mass in the market.  

I concur the iPad V7 and Mini should retain the 3.5mm space to hold their market share in the classroom environment.  3.5mm earbuds are $5 or less in quantity, and make for accomodating  public school income disparities...  
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 38 of 53
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Fatman said:
    Now imagine if this new model had the same 9.7” display with a reduced bezel & size or a larger 10” display within the same size - that would be a more compelling product.
    So you want the iPad Pro, but want to pay the entry-level price. Uh huh.
    No, quite happy to pay $499 like we used to for cutting edge iPad tech.
  • Reply 39 of 53
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,886member
    MisterKit said:
    MisterKit said:
    A few thoughts.

Cant wait for a Mini 5. 
    I'm curious, what work are you doing that you need to reserve the digital port for non-audio at all times?
  • Reply 40 of 53
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,886member

Uh, like I said -- you propose that kids who use them in school will automatically start buying them outside of school. But this hasn't happened. Anywhere as far as I can tell. What's wrong? How many years do we have to wait before ex-students start buying Chromebooks as their personal machines?