Apple's 'It's show time' video and Apple News event is on March 25 at Steve Jobs Theater

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,753member
    entropys said:
    lkrupp said:
    Meanwhile we sit here with no iMac refresh/update in over a year. Sure, I have a late 2013 iMac 14,2 that’s running Mojave just fine but its beginning to show its age a bit. How long do I wait for the hardware to go along with the fancy services coming out? What about the Mac Pro? The MacBook category? Will there ever be a Mac oriented Apple Event? Is it all iOS from here on? 
    Quite so.
    although it is 644 days since the last iMac update. And no signs of a new one, so the generation old (or is it two?) iMac is still being sold at new price in Cook’s Apple.
    That's a lot of the reason people think Apple is a ripoff. Historically they updated Macs regularly enough so they were fairly current most of the year, making the gulf between Mac and PC prices less extreme. But now sales almost certainly drop off as the years roll by without an update nor a price cut.  Some of those potential buyers will switch to a PC rather than buying an old Mac for new price. Also the profit Apple makes rises as the devices age without a price cut, obviously.
  • Reply 22 of 49
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,275member
    lkrupp said:
    Meanwhile we sit here with no iMac refresh/update in over a year. Sure, I have a late 2013 iMac 14,2 that’s running Mojave just fine but its beginning to show its age a bit. How long do I wait for the hardware to go along with the fancy services coming out? What about the Mac Pro? The MacBook category? Will there ever be a Mac oriented Apple Event? Is it all iOS from here on? 
    I'm not arguing that it hasn't been a long while since the last significant iMac line update, but one is expected at some point this year. More to the point, if you're so eager for "hardware to go along with the fancy services," why don't you buy the current model now? What makes you think it won't get you the same six-to-seven years of dependable service your current one does? What makes you think a new one wouldn't run all the "fancy services" brilliantly for years to come?

In point of fact, your 2013 will probably run most of those services just fine as well (I would expect it to struggle with the 4K, but HD should not be an issue). The equipment you really should be looking at upgrading is your cable/DSL modem and your ISP plan's top speed -- that's what 100 percent of Apple's forthcoming music/video/news services will work best with.

PS. I own a 2012 MBP and cannot see YouTube 4K videos at native resolution, but this machine plays the 1080p60fps versions of those videos shockingly smoothly and without hiccups (since I have 600mbps).
    macxpress
  • Reply 23 of 49
    Meh. 

Not worthy of an Apple live event. 
    kkqd1337
  • Reply 24 of 49
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Apple television :)
  • Reply 25 of 49
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    chasm said:
    lkrupp said:
    I'm not arguing that it hasn't been a long while since the last significant iMac line update, but one is expected at some point this year. More to the point, if you're so eager for "hardware to go along with the fancy services," why don't you buy the current model now? What makes you think it won't get you the same six-to-seven years of dependable service your current one does? What makes you think a new one wouldn't run all the "fancy services" brilliantly for years to come?

In point of fact, your 2013 will probably run most of those services just fine as well (I would expect it to struggle with the 4K, but HD should not be an issue). The equipment you really should be looking at upgrading is your cable/DSL modem and your ISP plan's top speed -- that's what 100 percent of Apple's forthcoming music/video/news services will work best with.

PS. I own a 2012 MBP and cannot see YouTube 4K videos at native resolution, but this machine plays the 1080p60fps versions of those videos shockingly smoothly and without hiccups (since I have 600mbps).
    You can't see YouTube 4K vids because of the lack of VP9 support on macOS and iOS. In short, because Apple and Google do not will it so.
  • Reply 26 of 49
    chasm said:
    lkrupp said:

Why should he pay top dollar for a machine that's two years old? It means that it's effectively two years old even if he buys it today, which is two years less software support. Even if it does run everything a more modern machine can, it's slower than a new one. My 2012 iMac can run everything a 2017 iMac Pro can, but much slower.

Would you recommend people bought the 2013 Mac Pro too? Apple's put themselves in a bit of a pickle with that one, since they usually drop software support around 6 or 7 years after a machine is discontinued. Does that mean Apple's still going to be supporting the 2013 Mac Pro in 2026 when it's 13 years old? I doubt it somehow.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 27 of 49
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member

Calling the day off for this one!

That’s so sad. You get nothing out of calling off work for a low level announcement from Apple when you can get all the information after you get off work. 

Hell NO. Done that before and I have to get through so many spoilers by the time I find the video. Then when I find the video, I already know everything.

I don't have a critical job. It's not that big a deal dude. 

"You get nothing out of calling off work for a low level announcement"

So call off for WWDC?
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 28 of 49
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    lkrupp said:

Maybe just MAYBE Apple has been hard at work cooking up a special new line of ARM Macs? One would hope...

Meh. 

Not worthy of an Apple live event. 

How would we know?
  • Reply 29 of 49
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,109member
    They probably said “show time” on this invitation instead of “showtime” because they are announcing a streaming service and it would be too weird otherwise—it’s already kind of like saying “it’s net flicks.”

Speaking of Netflix, sharing a login isn’t necessarily against the terms of service. You can pay according to the number of simultaneous users, and set it up with with multiple user accounts. And HBO has also explicitly said that they aren’t opposed to sharing. 

As for hardware, I’d like to see an SE replacement with FaceID, although I just bought a Xs two months ago so I may have to refrain from buying it.
    muthuk_vanalingamtycho_macuser
  • Reply 30 of 49
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member

If I may, my dream event:
    It's show time.
    AppleTV 5 announced
    New video service
    HomePod Soundbar
    AirPower

And I want free energy from fusion, world peace, and Abba to write and perform new music. Oh wait, that third one is happening, so maybe you may get what you want.
    curtis hannah
  • Reply 31 of 49

Calling the day off for this one!

That’s so sad. You get nothing out of calling off work for a low level announcement from Apple when you can get all the information after you get off work. 

Everyone's got hobbies and passions. Just because it doesn't seem worthy of taking a day off to watch this for you, it doesn't mean everyone has to feel the same way.

What's sad is your condescending tone.

edited March 2019 tycho_macuser
  • Reply 32 of 49
    laytechlaytech Posts: 335member
    "Apple previously used the "it's showtime" -- notably without the space between "show" and "time" -- tagline in September 2006 when it debuted the Apple TV."

If I may, my dream event:

It's show time.

AppleTV 5 announced
    New Siri remote with 3D touch and Taptic Engine
    animoji karaoke
    A12 Chip with game developers on board.

New video service
    free to all Apple users
    Apple will support 4k Dolby Vision/Atmos on every production

HomePod Soundbar
    Atmos support and pairs with HomePods

AirPower
    Internal battery so it works unplugged
    Supports new Siri Remote

Big call for free to all Apple users maybe free to all Apple Music Subscribers that would be a wow factor but the numbers surely could not add up unless content is a loss lead.

For me, all I want is BBC News streamed live so I can finally get rid of Foxtel (satellite TV).

In fact, allow me to pay the UK TV license and get all BBC television would be a bargain in my book.
    curtis hannah
  • Reply 33 of 49
    Apparently, there are no non-US parties invited. Might point to Apple Video being a US-only service. At least, for the time being. 

Meanwhile, there is no iMac update. 
    Meanwhile, there is no Mac Pro update.
    Meanwhile, there are no Apple branded monitors. 
    Meanwhile, there is still no Apple Pay in the Netherlands. 
    Meanwhile, Siri is still rubbish. 
    Meanwhile, AirPower is still non-existent. 

How about getting your things together, Apple? 
    tomjunior39
  • Reply 34 of 49
    elijahg said: Why should he pay top dollar for a machine that's two years old? It means that it's effectively two years old even if he buys it today, which is two years less software support. Even if it does run everything a more modern machine can, it's slower than a new one. My 2012 iMac can run everything a 2017 iMac Pro can, but much slower. 
    How much slower would a 2017 iMac be vs. an updated 2018 iMac? Would you expect a significant difference? Just look at the smartphone industry now, where most review sites (including this one) blow off the annual updates to the A series SoC as being something users won't notice too much in everyday use. But then you have to read articles bemoaning a lack of incremental updates to laptops/desktops as if the world turns on spec bumps. 
    macxpress
  • Reply 35 of 49
    We shall see what this event shows us and what the event in the Fall shows us. Not sure if I’m going to stick with Apple but as of right now yes. Dazzle us Apple, bring back the WOW factor. Tim said that they’re working on products that will blow us away. We shall see. 
  • Reply 36 of 49
    lkrupp said:
    Every day, Hackintosh is looking better and better to me.  It's not that I don't like iMacs (I do, I have 4 of them, and i'm looking forward to a 5th), it's just that I've had the funds set aside for a year to get one, but there isn't a new one out, and I've bought exactly one that was upgraded within a month (Never buy the "Back to School" sale if you want a top of the line product... wait a month...), and felt foolish.

I know the risk of the Hackintosh, but the other side has it an able Windows machine as well.
  • Reply 37 of 49
    I hate to say it but this could be the biggest swing and miss Apple has made in their services play since it’s inception.

There are a lot of things that could encompass an Apple “video streaming service“  and I am 100% positive that none of the things that would be compelling, interesting, or worth paying for are going to be included. 
  • Reply 38 of 49
    elijahg said: Why should he pay top dollar for a machine that's two years old? It means that it's effectively two years old even if he buys it today, which is two years less software support. Even if it does run everything a more modern machine can, it's slower than a new one. My 2012 iMac can run everything a 2017 iMac Pro can, but much slower. 
    How much slower would a 2017 iMac be vs. an updated 2018 iMac? Would you expect a significant difference? Just look at the smartphone industry now, where most review sites (including this one) blow off the annual updates to the A series SoC as being something users won't notice too much in everyday use. But then you have to read articles bemoaning a lack of incremental updates to laptops/desktops as if the world turns on spec bumps. 
    Not much - but the GPU would be a fair bit better, they could add more RAM and ditch the HDD. But more to the point you wouldn't be paying through the nose for a 2 year old machine. PC manufacturers drop prices regularly after release as their costs decrease, and they frequently update their models. Lack of updates wouldn't be so much of a problem if Apple didn't artificially drop software support for older Macs. You'd get two years less software support on the machine than someone that bought it on release day, despite paying the exact same price.
  • Reply 39 of 49

We shall see what this event shows us and what the event in the Fall shows us. Not sure if I’m going to stick with Apple but as of right now yes. Dazzle us Apple, bring back the WOW factor. Tim said that they’re working on products that will blow us away. We shall see. 
    Unfortunately Tim's idea of something that will blow everyone away is increasing iPhone prices. It may actually work however, since this seems to blow everyone away to Android.
    edited March 2019 tomjunior39Metriacanthosaurus
  • Reply 40 of 49
    elijahg said:

Unfortunately Tim's idea of something that will blow everyone away increasing iPhone prices. It may actually be true however, since this seems to blow everyone away to Android.
    Unfortunately, I must agree with you. 
    elijahgMetriacanthosaurus