What to expect from the March 25 'It's show time' Apple News and streaming video event

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 60
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    MacPro said:

MacPro said:
    Regarding the comment about an Apple TV dongle, surely the Apple TV can be THE dongle easily enough with a minor software or firmware update.
    Current ATV requires too much power, thus the necessary power cord.
    I didn't mean like a FireStick I was meaning as a DRM protection, my bad I come from the era of dongles in the ADB port to prevent software copying.
    Oh man, the Quark one was the WORST.
  • Reply 42 of 60
    I have a touchbar MacBook Pro from 2018 and the big feature I like about it is the Touch ID. If they added Face ID I’d be happy to have my function keys back. 

I expected to hate the bar bar when I got it from reviews online. But it’s fine. I got used to changing volume and brightness differently. Most of the time I just ignore it. But if you ask me if it was worth the 500 CND it raised the price over the other models, no I don’t think it’s worrh it.

I think Apple eventually wants to make the MacBook Pro two iPads slapped together. Which might be fun if they can figure out how to let me comfortably touch type on it. But for now it is an answer to a problem nobody really had. 
    entropysmuthuk_vanalingamelectrosoft
  • Reply 43 of 60
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    zoidbert said:
    I don't want anyone throwing anything at my head, but are we going to get any kind of rumors on the Mac Pro anytime soon? I get this event is going to focus on media and etc., but I miss Mac rumor sites having more Mac news. (I get it; information & tidbits are few and far between.)
    We'd like to hear more about it too. There's just nothing circulating, other than the modular thing from a few weeks ago.
    I’m more inclined to think WWDC would be a better venue to announce the new Mac Pro.
  • Reply 44 of 60
    dewme said:
    zoidbert said:
    I don't want anyone throwing anything at my head, but are we going to get any kind of rumors on the Mac Pro anytime soon? I get this event is going to focus on media and etc., but I miss Mac rumor sites having more Mac news. (I get it; information & tidbits are few and far between.)
    We'd like to hear more about it too. There's just nothing circulating, other than the modular thing from a few weeks ago.
    I’m more inclined to think WWDC would be a better venue to announce the new Mac Pro.
    Yeah, I don't think we're going to get anything.
  • Reply 45 of 60
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    dewme said:
    zoidbert said:
    This is the perfect opportunity to write a feature piece on how much people want to hear about the Mac Pro, how there isn't anything circulating, how Apple is therefore doomed, that their priorities are all misplaced with some "media" event when there is a clear need for this piece of hardware that every EVERYONE is pining for. Some call it Fake News; others call it a Source of Revenue. 
  • Reply 46 of 60
    MacPro said:
    MacPro said:
    wood1208 said:
    May be too early but 2019 Macbook Pro upgrade announcement would be nice. Will have Intel 10nm processors, WiFi 6 and other enhancements and hopefully some versions without touch-strip. No tocuh-strip makes cheaper MBP, reduce hardware complexity and less cost to repair/replace/maintain,
    I don't see Apple surrendering the Touch Bar any time soon.
    I enjoy my Touch Bar, even just for volume control and muting. 
    I wonder how many folks that deride the Touch bar actually have a Mac with one?  It beats me how you wouldn't like it.  As I said earlier I go to Mac I have without one and miss it and hope Apple bring out keyboards for the Mac Pro with one (and iMac I guess, I don't use iMacs so forget about them).
    I deride the TouchBar and I own a Mac with one. 

Granted it can become innocuous after a while if you just choose to ignore it, but it’s really quite silly vis-a-vis any major functionality. I also find that quality of the ‘touch’ to be somewhat inconsistent and weird — some icons (e.g., emojis) need a harder press than others (e.g., Esc). 
    Using its contextual and graphical interface with Applications such as Logic Pro is surely light years ahead of a few function keys.  It reminds me back when I started demonstrating Lisa to clients who claimed typing was faster than a GUI!  ;)
    Fair enough. 

I feel like it underperforms, as do many other recent Apple innovations (the Watch and AirPods being notable exceptions). 
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 47 of 60
    eightzero said:
    dewme said:
    zoidbert said:
    This is the perfect opportunity to write a feature piece on how much people want to hear about the Mac Pro, how there isn't anything circulating, how Apple is therefore doomed, that their priorities are all misplaced with some "media" event when there is a clear need for this piece of hardware that every EVERYONE is pining for. Some call it Fake News; others call it a Source of Revenue. 
    Why would we do that? It's pretty clear that this event wasn't going to be about the Mac Pro.
  • Reply 48 of 60
    MacPro said:
    MacPro said:
    wood1208 said:
    May be too early but 2019 Macbook Pro upgrade announcement would be nice. Will have Intel 10nm processors, WiFi 6 and other enhancements and hopefully some versions without touch-strip. No tocuh-strip makes cheaper MBP, reduce hardware complexity and less cost to repair/replace/maintain,
    I wonder how many folks that deride the Touch bar actually have a Mac with one?  It beats me how you wouldn't like it.  As I said earlier I go to Mac I have without one and miss it and hope Apple bring out keyboards for the Mac Pro with one (and iMac I guess, I don't use iMacs so forget about them).

Granted it can become innocuous after a while if you just choose to ignore it, but it’s really quite silly vis-a-vis any major functionality. I also find that quality of the ‘touch’ to be somewhat inconsistent and weird — some icons (e.g., emojis) need a harder press than others (e.g., Esc). 
    Using its contextual and graphical interface with Applications such as Logic Pro is surely light years ahead of a few function keys.  It reminds me back when I started demonstrating Lisa to clients who claimed typing was faster than a GUI!  ;)
    Fair enough. 

I feel like it underperforms, as do many other recent Apple innovations (the Watch and AirPods being notable exceptions). 
    How do you figure the 2018 MacBook Pros underperform? I have one and it runs fantastic. I'm a power user so I'm doing video editing and transferring raw files daily. 
    lolliver
  • Reply 49 of 60
    I have a touchbar MacBook Pro from 2018 and the big feature I like about it is the Touch ID. If they added Face ID I’d be happy to have my function keys back. 

I expected to hate the bar bar when I got it from reviews online. But it’s fine. I got used to changing volume and brightness differently. Most of the time I just ignore it. But if you ask me if it was worth the 500 CND it raised the price over the other models, no I don’t think it’s worrh it.

I think Apple eventually wants to make the MacBook Pro two iPads slapped together. Which might be fun if they can figure out how to let me comfortably touch type on it. But for now it is an answer to a problem nobody really had. 
    Please don't sound ignorant. The Touchbar did not add 500 CND to the price. In fact if you used any amount of logic you'd know the function keys had to be removed first. That lowers the cost. The Touchbar goes in place of the function keys. You'd have more an argument if the Touchbar was added on top of the function keys. That's not the case so don't make stuff up. 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 50 of 60
    HenryDJP said:
    MacPro said:
    MacPro said:
    wood1208 said:

Fair enough. 

How do you figure the 2018 MacBook Pros underperform? I have one and it runs fantastic. I'm a power user so I'm doing video editing and transferring raw files daily. 

Who said the 2018 MBP underperforms? 

Read the thread, man.
  • Reply 51 of 60
    macseekermacseeker Posts: 545member
    I expect the Mac Pro update.  I'm not interested in any streaming service.
  • Reply 52 of 60
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    MacPro said:

MacPro said:
    Regarding the comment about an Apple TV dongle, surely the Apple TV can be THE dongle easily enough with a minor software or firmware update.
    Current ATV requires too much power, thus the necessary power cord.
    I didn't mean like a FireStick I was meaning as a DRM protection, my bad I come from the era of dongles in the ADB port to prevent software copying.
    Oh man, the Quark one was the WORST.
    You must be as old as me!  ;)
  • Reply 53 of 60
    macseeker said:
    I expect the Mac Pro update.  I'm not interested in any streaming service.
    Yeah good luck with that. I expect an announcement at WWDC. 
  • Reply 54 of 60
    asdasd said:
    HenryDJP said:
    MacPro said:
    wood1208 said:

No disrespect meant, honestly, but you truly do not sound like you're an owner of a MacBook Pro with Touchbar. You sound like the ones who despise it from a distance, then going in the Apple store and trying it out and deciding after 5 minutes you hate it. 9 times out 10 I've seen people hate on the Touchbar,  then they buy a Mac with it, then come back and post how much they really like it after using all their apps that are coded for it. 
    I have one. It’s useless. A proper use if a keyboard depends on muscle memory but the touchbar keeps changing. I’ve grown to like the new keyboard though. And touchID is cool. 
    Useless for you maybe, others find it extremely useful. And the proper interface for the TB is context sensitive; I don’t think very many people would be able to touch type on the TB, even if you locked it to the F-keys.

Personally, I’d prefer the TB be above a traditional row of F-keys but there may not be sufficient real estate on the 13” model. 
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 55 of 60
    Dial it back a bit.
  • Reply 56 of 60
    eightzero said:
    Why would we do that? It's pretty clear that this event wasn't going to be about the Mac Pro.
    Honestly, I assumed there was intended to be a /s after that.  It reads like sarcasm or satire to me. :)
  • Reply 57 of 60
    Apple's video streaming service is almost guaranteed to be a failure. The reason is simple. Apple's idea of what videos people should see is very different from the kinds of videos that users want to see. Apple wants its viewers to watch happy, uncontroversial (in its mind) videos with no adult content at all. We know this by reading about how Apple keeps firing directors and writers that refuse to go along with their white bread vanilla wafer creative vision. Take a look at Netflix's line up and ask yourself how many would appear on an Apple video service? Would that Fyre festival documentary make the cut? How about House of Cards? Apple is about to waste billions of dollars by failing to understand the diverse interests of its users. It is the same hubris that is preventing many apps getting into the App store because Apple is uncomfortable with giving users real freedom to decide what they do with their own iPhones and iPads.
    I think it would be more accurate to say that "Apple's idea of what videos people should see is very different from the kinds of videos that some users want to see."  It might be even more accurate to for you to say "Apple's idea of what videos people should see is very different from the kinds of videos that I want to see."  Since it's unlikely that you speak for a all users.

And let's be fair, "adult content" doesn't necessarily mean "sex and violence".  Looking through the list of stuff that Apple is said to be producing, or thinking of producing, there is no dearth of adult themed content, even if there's little in the way of sex or violence.  Just because HBO has massive success with Game of Rape and Kill doesn't mean that's the only thing people want.
  • Reply 58 of 60
    eightzero said:
    Honestly, I assumed there was intended to be a /s after that.  It reads like sarcasm or satire to me. :)
    Now that I re-read that, that is a possibility.
  • Reply 59 of 60
    wood1208 said:
    If anything they might stop producing of the function key model, they didn’t even update it last year.