Rumor says 10.2- & 10.5-inch iPads in the works, launching separately

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,884member

dougd said:
    I wouldn't take an iPad as a gift
    Well, there’s no accounting for common sense, I guess...or lack of it, judging by your comically anti-apple post history. Troll on, bro. 
    edited March 2019 randominternetpersonfastasleep
  • Reply 22 of 33
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,305member
    I wonder ... if you could remove the bezels off a 9.7-inch iPad (a la the Pro models) but otherwise keep roughly the same form factor ... wouldn't that make the screen ~10.2-inch?
  • Reply 23 of 33
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    dougd said:
    Shwew!  SUCH a relief!  That makes you so much easier to shop for...
    randominternetpersonfastasleep
  • Reply 24 of 33
    Ridiculous! It’s the 90’s all over again. Over saturated product line. I hope this isn’t true. What happened to “something BETWEEN a laptop and a smartphone.”

All we need is a 7.9 and a 9.7. You want smaller, get an iPhone. You want bigger, get a Mac or go somewhere else. These big iPads are more cumbersome to carry around than a laptop. Kind of like that 1st gen 12.9” model. My wife returned that thing after 3 days. There’s a reason (and Apple themselves have admitted to this) that the 9.7” has been their best seller. Cause it’s the perfect size!! DUH!

I played around with the two brand new Pros at the Apple Store recently. I couldn’t tell the difference (a whole inch and a half...wow) between the two sizes. What a waste, both of them. They should’ve just put that FaceID on the current 9.7” and kept the “Air” name and the lamanated screen so it doesn’t sound hollow when I tap it (like the 1st gen Air and the 5th and 6th gens.) Now THAT would be a worthy upgrade from my Air 2. 
  • Reply 25 of 33
    arlor said:

CoinX's record includes predicting that one of the 2018 iPad Pros would be 5.9 millimeters thick, and most notably exposing the names of the iPhone XS, XS Max, and XR.

How do we know "CoinX" is a "reputable leaker"?  This sounds like nonsense.
    You already quoted the relevant line of the article. Of course CoinX could be wrong this time.
    Strangely, he quoted the entire article just to write a one-sentence reply. 
    Yeah, sorry about that.  I don't always have the best luck with this editor.  My main point was that "reputable leaker" is basically an oxymoron.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    Mini 5 if it budget model, I will skip it and hope for a Mini Pro next year!
  • Reply 27 of 33
    dougd said:

You're right bro. You need to earn it.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    davdav Posts: 115member
    designr said:
    I'd be curious how well the iPad mini is doing in light of the larger phones these days.
    That's difficult to say, seeing the iPad mini hasn't been updated in years.  I'd be curious how well an iPad mini pro was doing now if one had been introduced in the fall of 2018.
  • Reply 29 of 33
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    dougd said:
    NOBODY CARES.
  • Reply 30 of 33

hentaiboy said:
    Apple is rumored to be replacing its 9.7-inch "budget" iPad with a 10.2-inch model
    So is it a 10.2” or a refreshed 9.7” as reported a couple of days ago?
    Do not give us another pricing tier for new iPads.
    Yes please do. $499 like we’ve always paid. A 9.7” with no bezels. Thanks. 
    I think with today’s durability you might be able to get away without a case.  The 9.7” would be amazingly small and light.  It would also feel modern without the bezel.  It might be a Pro device with Pencil support....
    Get away with? I’ve never used a case on any of my iPads in my life. Nor on my Watch. 
    Smart Cover though? I had one of those with my first iPad (2) and one with my Air 2, and they seemed like no-brainers for the 2x stand function alone. 

My main gripe with the 11" Pro is that Smart Cover isn't possible anymore due to the magnet setup, so you have to get a 2-sided "Folio" which covers the entire back as well. I bought Apple's Smart Folio and returned it — the first Apple product I've ever returned out of sheer dislike in decades! It felt awful (sharp edges that don't lay flat against the edges of the iPad) and at $80 felt absolutely insulting for the materials used. I took it off after a few days one night and handled the iPad alone and realized I was seriously disliking the whole experience due to the Smart Folio itself. I shopped around on Amazon and quickly learned that a Smart Cover type thing wasn't available (again due to the magnet layout, apparently there aren't any in the side anymore unfortunately), so I ended up ordering two 3rd party Folio covers — one at $15 and the other at $20. Just measured them both today, they're both 1mm thicker total than Apple's, and settled on one (the cheaper of the two) that had less branding on it and didn't stick out on the edges quite as much as the other. Overall, I like it better than Apple's — the edge is flat against the iPad and thus not two ridges pushed away from the edges on both side making it uncomfortable to handle, and obviously the price is right. I'll just have to deal with it as there's no Smart Cover option, but not being able to prop it up at the two angles these provide otherwise is a deal breaker.

My gf bought a plastic shell-type case with folding cover for her iPad and likes it, I would never do a full on shell-type case. I'm trying a case on my iPhone for the first time ever and hate it. :)
  • Reply 31 of 33

Annie2022 said:
    Apple is not only working on 10.2- and 10.5-inch iPads, but planning to ship them at separate times, a reputable leaker claimed on Wednesday.

2018 iPad Pro

Known publicly as "CoinX," the leaker didn't offer any other details, such as features or narrower launch windows. He did refer to the 10.2-inch model as the "iPad 7" however, and said the 10.5-inch model isn't a Pro. 2018 iPad Pros come in 11- and 12.9-inch sizes.

CoinX's record includes predicting that one of the 2018 iPad Pros would be 5.9 millimeters thick, and most notably exposing the names of the iPhone XS, XS Max, and XR.

Casting doubt on the latest rumor is that based on Apple's history, it's unlikely Apple would launch two iPads in such similar dimensions. Apple is rumored to be replacing its 9.7-inch "budget" iPad with a 10.2-inch model, yet it already has a 10.5-inch option in the form of 2017's iPad Pro, still on sale.

Conceivably Apple could position an updated 10.5-inch model in the mid-range, with superior performance to the "budget" line but without some Pro perks.

Apple has also been rumored as planning a fifth-generation iPad mini. That product is mostly expected to be an internal spec upgrade, in which case it would have to keep a 7.9-inch display.

New iPads could make an appearance at a March 25 press event. The focus, though, should be on a video streaming service and Apple News Magazines.
    hh
    A+ first post!
  • Reply 32 of 33
    arlor said:

How do we know "CoinX" is a "reputable leaker"?  This sounds like nonsense.
    You already quoted the relevant line of the article. Of course CoinX could be wrong this time.
    Strangely, he quoted the entire article just to write a one-sentence reply. 
    Yeah, sorry about that.  I don't always have the best luck with this editor.  My main point was that "reputable leaker" is basically an oxymoron.
    "It’s up to you, but this guy/girl/coin has 8 tweets, 7 of them (excluding this one, which most likely will be accurate as well) is a 100% hit." - one of the responses on their Twitter feed.