When And What Future Computer Will You Buy?

Comments

• Reply 61 of 99
    While my PowerBook armada is up to date (iBook 500 MHz and Ti Book 667 MHz) my desktop unit is a B&W unit. I upgraded the processor with a Sonnet Encore G4 500 MHz right after MWNY this summer and it does quite well with the tasks I throw at it.

None of the new models offered me quite enough to justify the upgrade, based on my modest needs. The G5's are gonna change that for me, though. Hopefully a dual processor G5 tower and Cinema Display will grace my desk come next MacWorld.
  • Reply 62 of 99
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    I will be using my Rev D iMac until September 2003, when i go to school and get a portable.

I will get whatever portable apple is offering at that time...most likely a g4 iBook or g5 PB. Basically i will get whatever portable comes out at MWNY 2003 (assuming they release a portable there)
  • Reply 63 of 99
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Actually, releasing the Apollo in the PowerMac line-up only to have it replaced 6 months later does make sense. Especially when you consider that the G5 is likely 'Not Ready Yet.' Might as well start fabing those Apollos, they're going to need them for the next 2 years to serve in the powerbooks, and probably also in the consumer line-up. Better iron out those production lines with a lower volume product (the towers) because if/when G5 arrives, they're still going to need a ton of Apollos for everything else.
  • Reply 64 of 99
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,020member
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>Actually, releasing the Apollo in the PowerMac line-up only to have it replaced 6 months later does make sense. Especially when you consider that the G5 is likely 'Not Ready Yet.' Might as well start fabing those Apollos, they're going to need them for the next 2 years to serve in the powerbooks, and probably also in the consumer line-up. Better iron out those production lines with a lower volume product (the towers) because if/when G5 arrives, they're still going to need a ton of Apollos for everything else.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Not sure I buy that. The regular Apollo isn't suitable for a 'book, is it? I thought it was a special version they were using. If not, then what you say is plausible.

I still think the most likely scenario is a G5, with some leftover G4's on the ticket as well.
  • Reply 65 of 99
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>Actually, releasing the Apollo in the PowerMac line-up only to have it replaced 6 months later does make sense. Especially when you consider that the G5 is likely 'Not Ready Yet.' Might as well start fabing those Apollos, they're going to need them for the next 2 years to serve in the powerbooks, and probably also in the consumer line-up. Better iron out those production lines with a lower volume product (the towers) because if/when G5 arrives, they're still going to need a ton of Apollos for everything else.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well It would make sense if the &gt;1GHZ G4's were all you had available at the time of MWSF, its either that or no upgrade?
  • Reply 66 of 99
    I'm beginning to get the feeling that I'll stick with Apple for portables, and x86 for desktops and workstations. My next desktop will be a home brewed Athlon XP system with disgusting amounts of DDR RAM and nForce and Radeon 8500 goodness. The desktop after that will likely be a dual Clawhammer.

On the other hand, when I look to upgrade my Pismo, I'll go for a PB G4 or G5, whatever is available at the time. However, that probably won't be for a few years down the road.

Apple is second to none in the portable market, but their workstations leave much to be desired.
  • Reply 67 of 99
    Holy cow!

I've just installed OS X Server 10.1 on a 733/60/1.2 quicksilver server machine at work. Is this thing fast or what? Aqua is perfectly usable and enjoyable, feels much faster at everything than OS 9 on my Pismo/400 (go figure!). Compared to my 350 Yikes! at home this is a dream. Of course, I'm sure the 1.2 GB of RAM doesn't hurt either...
  • Reply 68 of 99
    falconfalcon Posts: 458member
    What: Tibook

When: Collage

Assuming there is a Tibook as we know it when I leave for collage.
  • Reply 69 of 99
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    I was a long time Mac user until last winter. I needed a new computer and decided to switch to Windows. I decided fast, cheap hardware was more important to me than software, and my year old PC is still quicker than most Macs. I did recently brake down and purchase a copy OS 10.1 for my old G4. I might as well throw my PC away. I can't go back. OS X is just a joy to use. I could care less now about hardware performance. I want a TiBook!

Think I'll wait for the 1GHz models to arrive this summer however. I'm not rich. I'll let Apple play catch up, and purchase a machine with OS 10.5 preloaded. Wow! If it is as superior to 10.1 as 10.1 is to 10.0, I will cry. Okay, I've ranted enough.
  • Reply 70 of 99
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,020member
    [quote]Originally posted by Falcon:

<strong>What: Tibook

When: Collage

Assuming there is a Tibook as we know it when I leave for collage.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Before you go you might want to learn how to spell C-O-L-L-E-G-E.

No soup for you!

sorry man I couldn't resist.
  • Reply 71 of 99
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    [quote]Originally posted by SDW2001:

<strong>

Before you go you might want to learn how to spell C-O-L-L-E-G-E.

No soup for you!

sorry man I couldn't resist.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Maybe it's a community college
  • Reply 72 of 99
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I will buy a PC for my kids (6 years for the elder), even if i hate Windows, i think that the PC is the best buy for games.

Warning : i a m not a pc moron, because me and my wife own 6 Macs. But i am sick of the high prize of the macs. If i use for my jobs : no discussion i will buy macs, because i know how to use it without any big problems. But with 1000 $ you can have a very good PC for games and educational soft. Futhermore some softs are only avalaible for PC, some of them interest me.
  • Reply 73 of 99
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    My next computer is going to be a Tablet.

I've waited for Apple longthehell enough. Whoever gets to market first (Apple or Windows) wins.

I'm tired of my infernal, graffitti oriented, little Palm III. In a meeting two weeks ago, I watched someone hook their iPaq to a digital projector and run a slide show from their iPaq. iPaq has a 206Mhz StrongArm Microprocessor, connectivity all over the place, native connectivity with Office apps vs. the Palm OS and "Documents to Go" (DTG: whoopee. Hey, Palm, no OS X connectivity! No, I will not go through classic to hotsync; it's nearly 2002, we shouldn't have to do that). The iPaq has about 90% of all the features that the Newton/PDA fans among us on these boards have hashed around for MORE THAN TWO YEARS.

I need a Tablet and I need a PDA that both integrate with my desktop operating system. You say that there's no market for them, I'll point you to Microsoft's Tablet page. They're going for it and they'll make a ton of money. Apple could have gone for it, but hasn't. If Apple can't come up with a portable suite -a PDA and a Tablet- (because Steve Jobs hates Scully, or he hates 'the internet junior experience' or he suffers from carbohydrate induced insulin rages or whatever), then their marketshare shrinks by one.

I've well and truly had it and thanks for listening.

Thriving in Heresy,

Aries 1B
  • Reply 74 of 99
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    [quote]Originally posted by powerdoc:

<strong>I will buy a PC for my kids (6 years for the elder), even if i hate Windows, i think that the PC is the best buy for games.

Warning : i a m not a pc moron, because me and my wife own 6 Macs. But i am sick of the high prize of the macs. If i use for my jobs : no discussion i will buy macs, because i know how to use it without any big problems. But with 1000 $ you can have a very good PC for games and educational soft. Futhermore some softs are only avalaible for PC, some of them interest me.</strong><hr></blockquote>

*ahem* ....Virtual PC
  • Reply 75 of 99
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    VPC is great for everything except games - well, it can handle games that don't require any graphic acceleration.

It can't take advantage of the onboard video card except for the most minimal functionality.
  • Reply 76 of 99
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    Lookit this:

<a href="http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/tabletpc/default.asp"; target="_blank">http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/tabletpc/default.asp</a>;

I'm fully aware that I'd be reinstalling systems, crashing here and there, etc. But I'll be doing it on a tablet and with a leading edge (ignoring the Newton) PDA .

Damn, but I've had it.

Aries 1B

PS: Look at these too. You'll see some old friends (that some of you Photoshop jocks may recognize):

[URL=http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/events/fallcomdex01/gallery.asp]http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/events/fallcomdex01/gallery.asp[/ URL]

To be optimistic, maybe we'll get this:

<a href="http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&ic=1&th=545b778a95fe42b7 ,2" target="_blank">http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&ic=1&th=545b778a95fe42b7 ,2</a>

[ 11-27-2001: Message edited by: Aries 1B ]

[ 11-27-2001: Message edited by: Aries 1B ]</p>
  • Reply 77 of 99
    My wants for MWSF2002 are simple:
    • low-end PowerMac with SuperDrive

• 15" Apple LCD

• for roughly $2000 - $2100

The most important item to me is the SuperDrive at the low-end price. There are a whole bunch of family movies and pictures that I would like to preserve to DVD.

The system specs are irrelevant as long as it gets the job done at a good value.
  • Reply 78 of 99
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I'll probably upgrade upon release of the following:

TiBook w/ 800Mhz G4

DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive (SuperDrive would be GREAT!)

Everything else is good to go otherwise.

Ah, a G4 Powerbook...Bye, bye Pismo.
  • Reply 79 of 99
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    I'm gonna buy a new Mac once they release G5 with all the new tech that is out there and that everyone has been waiting for.

I upgraded my 3 year old Beige in Spring, and it's doing ok, so in fact I don't need a new machine very soon. Only all the new titles comign out for OS X only are bugging me, I don't wanna upgade to OS X with this machine anymore.

G-news
  • Reply 80 of 99
    Since I'm still running on a 7600 w/375MHz G3 upgrade (and Firewire/USB upgrade) I need a new machine. My backup is a Umax C600 with 300MHz upgrade, but mostly used as a storage server since it has all the prewired internal bays.

My next purchase will be with my upcoming tax return (approx march, if I get my paperwork done on time).

So if it's available this is what I'll get (or wait til it's available).

The cheapest G5 model with a Superdrive. That's all I'm waiting for, not worried about the type of RAM or system bus or video cards available.

Just the cheapest G5 w/ Superdrive. If I need to BTO to get the best grapics card I will and I'll probably upgrade the RAM on my own since it's usually to pricey through Apple.