When And What Future Computer Will You Buy?

1235»

Comments

  • Reply 81 of 99
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Dec/Jan: iBook 600 Combo, upgraded to 640MB ram



    Sometime next year: build my own PC (prob AthlonXP) OR wait till end of next year / beginning of year after and see what G5 offerings there are (depending on if the iBook is driving me nuts (underpowered) and on my money situation)



    I hope no new iBooks will come out in January or else I'll shoot someone.
  • Reply 82 of 99
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    In Jan.

    a low end tower, unless Apple comes out with a monitorless iMac with a decent G4 processor, AGP 4X slot w/ Geforce, 133 bus, @ least one additional PCI slot at a decent price, $599 - $699.



    A monitorless iMac @ that price would leave a lot of money leftover for a new printer, digital camera, upgrade card for my current computer(to give my daughters), and scanner.



    either way I'm going to be
  • Reply 83 of 99
    macaddictmacaddict Posts: 1,055member
    It's kind of pointless to buy a $1500 Mac, then run in emulation software for WIndows that would run five times as fast on a $750 Athlon system. You can build a beautiful PC that will school everything Apple makes for less than a thousand bucks. Granted though, you're still stuck with Windows.
  • Reply 84 of 99
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    [quote]Originally posted by MacAddict:

    <strong>Granted though, you're still stuck with Windows.</strong><hr></blockquote>



    Exactly why Virtual PC is out Sacrafice a little speed hit to have the best of both worlds makes more sense to me. When the G5 comes out, there may not be any more speed hits. Anywhere.
  • Reply 85 of 99
    I would reallllly like to have a Quad with a nice fast bus to replace my aging webserver... rack mountable would be great, but I'm not counting on any of that.



    Odds are I'll be stuck buying two dual G4/5s (one for Apache and Lasso5 and another for MySQL) instead.



    ===

    That's for work, of course



    For my wife I'd like to get an iBook... not picky, but it'll bite that hers will be faster than mind.
  • Reply 86 of 99
    macaddictmacaddict Posts: 1,055member
    Yeah, but for a little more than the cost of VPC and a running copy of Win2K you can get a cheapo depot PC. It doesn't take much to outperform VPC.



    Like a Duron 600, 20GB HD, no vid card, no sound card, no case, lol.
  • Reply 86 of 99
    Now that the X-Box is going to take care of most of my gaming needs (I think Virtual PC will be able to handle The Operational Art Of War series) I can grab an iBook sometime in the next year.....As long as long-term reliability issues don't crop up with the current batch. I already delt with the GLOD, thank you very much.



    Amazing. A good Microsoft product is putting me in a position to get a Mac.



    [ 11-28-2001: Message edited by: DoctorGonzo ]</p>
  • Reply 88 of 99
    Two scenarios:



    1. Money no object:



    I would replace my G4 with a new computer when a "G5" is available, meaning a new powermac with a fully revised mobo, ddr RAM, 8x agp or whatever and a phat GPU. The MHz would need to be over 1.4 GHz, and of course Altivec or something similar.



    2. Money is the limiting factor:



    My current PMG4 400 MHz AGP is a fine computer. OS X 10.1.1 runs ok on it, and I'm looking forward to further performance optimizations from Apple. There is little I use my computer for that actually taxes it all that much, in other words, for most tasks I don't wait. Yeah, some audio processing takes time, but I can live with it. I've already invested money in RAM, SB Live, Radeon, and and CDRW Firewire drive, and my computer fulfills all my needs. So I don't have any use for a G5 at this time.



    If I could buy a CPU upgrade then I would, but it would have to be at least 933 MHz G4, and it could cost no more than $400.



    The single best upgrade to performance I could buy is DSL or Cable internet access, but I'm too cheap to pay for it.



    All in all, I'm a happy Mac user, with no urgent need for a faster system.
  • Reply 89 of 99
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]If I could buy a CPU upgrade then I would, but it would have to be at least 933 MHz G4, and it could cost no more than $400. <hr></blockquote>



    Well you know that's never gunna happen.
  • Reply 90 of 99
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Minimum dual 1.2 Ghz with DDR
  • Reply 91 of 99
    I'll buy the G4 iMac, hopefully with SuperDrive, when it comes out. Thanks very much.
  • Reply 92 of 99
    This is what I wanna do:



    Buy low-end G5 (1 or 1.2 GHz, DDR, 400 MHz bus, USB 2, Firewire 2, new case w/2 5.25" bays, Hyper Transport)

    then I would put my Lite-On 24x10x40x IDE CD-RW in the G5, max out the RAM with about 512 Mb, possibly more

    most likely wouldn't get a new monitor, View Sonic 17" is not the best but it's fine

    buy a digital camera, probably something in the moderate price range

    when GeForce 4 comes out buy that

    DVD-RW a must, hopefully on machine

    buy myself new MP3/CD player

    buy Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound receiver or maybe hook up stereo system to the Mac

    TV Tuner card
  • Reply 93 of 99
    Hey Whisper,



    I have an old PowerTower as well. I'm not daring enought to put OS X.1 on it yet (but it's on my bondi iMac).

    It is really dog slow? I may put it on there just for kicks.



    Griz from Alameda.
  • Reply 94 of 99
    [quote]Originally posted by Scott H.:

    <strong>I hate to say it but the next one I buy may be a Linux box. I'm still rather POed that Apple dropped support for the tray loading iMac in OS X. Apple's Iron Curtain policy of not telling people WTF is going on and what type of support to expect is very annoying. At least with Linux you know what you get.</strong><hr></blockquote>



    Since when did Apple drop this support? OS X works just fine on my original Bondi iMac with 192 megs of RAM.

    The only trick is that I have to partition my big drive into one smaller than 8 gigs and one bigger.



    Other than that, fine.
  • Reply 95 of 99
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Grizelmac:

    <strong>



    Since when did Apple drop this support? OS X works just fine on my original Bondi iMac with 192 megs of RAM.

    The only trick is that I have to partition my big drive into one smaller than 8 gigs and one bigger.



    Other than that, fine.</strong><hr></blockquote>



    Scott says they dropped support for it because there's still no Rage Pro drivers.
  • Reply 96 of 99
    I would **definitely** buy a G5 if they are released in January. No matter what. Probably lowest end model though.



    I *might* buy a G4 *only* if they're over the GHz barrier. And dependant on if there's a new case.



    Also, I would like to see the faster system bus and all, but I think that's probably more likely than not at this point.
  • Reply 97 of 99
    When I have the cash Im buying the highest end mac I can find.

    Other than that Im gonna be upgrading my PC a lot, which is one of the real nice things about PCs.

    My powerbook will run EV:Nova, and all the macOSX apps I want, and my PC will handle all the really hard stuff (games).
  • Reply 98 of 99
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    I'm in the market for a new desktop right now, but with MWSF so close, it's obviously not the best time to buy.



    I'm still trying to decide if I can scrape by with a PII 300 for a couple of months and wait it out.



    Can't really say what it will be. Depends on what Steve & Co. decide to unleash on us. iMacs, G5s, etc.
  • Reply 99 of 99
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    I've been waiting for 6 months now to buy the top of the line tower and cinema display (disappointed in July). But, I won't be buying a G4 if the G5 is right around the corner. If the G5 isn't released in Jan., maybe we'll catch wind of when it will be released and I'll make a decision then.
Sign In or Register to comment.