YouTube pulling out of high-budget TV shows on the verge of Apple video service debut [u]

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 22
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Yikes! I totally forgot Google’s video streaming effort. The media definitely hadn’t written about it and most likely will let this latest killed effort fade away without clickbait headlines, over the top hyperbole, analysts claiming Google is doomed or lost its way or is trying to do too much outside its core strength, etc. 😉
    Gosh, in an update to the article it says Bloomberg was wrong and there is no killing off of YouTube Premium/YouTube TV original programming.
    When has Bloomberg ever been wrong before??
  • Reply 22 of 22
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    gatorguy said:
    maestro64 said:
    Looks like more people are going to be laid off. 

Did anyone notice that Google is abandon their little fiber to the home project. It sounds like they went cheap on getting fiber to people's home but cutting slits in the road and now things are falling apart.
    Yup, the last city they went into they had to go back and dig the cables a little deeper. Didn't help that ATT did everything they could including ignore municipal mandates to keep Google Fiber off the existing poles. ATT knew they'd lose apparently but figured (correctly?) that perhaps if they made it expensive enough...
    Maybe AT&T made it a little difficult to put fiber on a pole, but the unions has something to say about this as well. Google was not putting non-union people on a pole maintained by the utilities. Also, maintenance on a pole is much higher than laying fiber in the ground. Google put it in the ground since it was the lowest cost solution and they hope not to deal with ongoing maintenance costs. I remember hearing rumors Google did it on the cheap, But I found it interesting Google choose cities that made it easily to put fiber in the ground. They did not do the northeast, where everything is on the pole and they could not lay it in the ground due to lack of underground utility easements.

VZ put fiber in the ground in my neighbor, but we have underground utility easements, and they ran into all kinds of problems like cutting Comcast cables as well as copper phone lines which they owned. They also have to get right away easements from the local town and have to pay a right away fee to put in their fibers. Google obviously wanted to avoid all of this. This also the reason I felt Google fiber was not a long term deal for them.
    edited March 2019