Apple Card offers simplified and secure Goldman Sachs-backed credit card with daily reward...

Comments

• Reply 121 of 279
    sflocal said:
    Sign me up!!
    I signed up.  This is a great development for Apple.  I love how this card will not share anything of me to 3rd party folks.  Looking forward to canceling my other cards and giving them the middle finger.

This was a shot across the bow to other card issuers.  Just like Apple revolutionized the smartphone, I hope they do the same to credit cards which is LONG overdue!
    I did too (well, all that’s available right now is an option for them to notify me).

But I must admit to being somewhat surprised, even a tad disappointed, that Apple did not offer the contactless option for the physical card. It’s becming quite common all over Europe. 
    spock1234watto_cobra
  • Reply 122 of 279
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    Will the new Apple Card allow me to exceed the $100 limit in Canada that all cards, banks and stores currently implement. Whenever I pay for anything over $100, like groceries, Apple Pay on my iPhone won't work and I have to pull out my credit card and enter my PIN.
    I imagine Apple will need to adhere to whatever are Canadian regulations or standards.
    Some stores allow over $100 to be spent on Apple Pay. So it's not a regulation. It's either the credit card, the bank, or the store. Which is it? Can Apple fix this?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 123 of 279
    6502 said:
    ElJeffe said:
    6502 said:
    ElJeffe said:
    6502 said:
    ElJeffe said:
    Apple the most disruptive corporate force in entrenched business practices. They shook the Computer Industry to its core and changed the way people interacted with computers. They did this by changing the basic philosophy and premise of computing. They personalized it. Game Changer. They did it with music, how it was distributed, how it was carried, how it was consumed. Game Changer. Now they are bring that same disruptive force to the financial industry. Credit Cards have been pretty pedestrian for decades. They have been entirely industry (financial industry driven) as a result the ways they have tried to interact with their consumers have been more and more driven by their self interest with little concern for the consumer experience. AppleCard... Game Changer.

Does it break the mold for rewards? Nope. Does it break the mold for cost? Nope. Does it break the mold for all things reward driven Credit Card? Nope. It just thinks different and delivers a better consumer experience in delivering it. Apple just Apple-ized Consumer Credit. 10 years from now we will all look back and say "of course making it easier for Credit Approval should be this easy. Of course all of the things that AppleCard just delivered to consumer finance should have been implemented." Except Chase, Bank of America, Well Fargo, and a myriad of other Financial Industry Titans could have done it but didn't. They had to have the foundation of their business model moved beneath them by Apple.

Troll away with, how "Meh, my card does all that already. Big Deal! Why are Apple fanbois such tewls?", indifference. DOS command line users used to LOVE how easy it was to do things too. Now we all just do things differently. We all just do things differently, more intuitively, and simply, since Apple decided to innovate the processes.
    If you think the Apple Card is a game changer, you've set a very low bar.
    And your indifference to the shift will be looked at as part of the problem that Apple just solved for an industry it didn't NEED to be involved in. Apple doesn't make moves and involve itself in things if it doesn't feel like it can make a significant (read profitable) change in a significant way. This big dog doesn't get off the porch unless there is a need. You staring at the enormity of the dog and saying " psssshhht! I've seen bigger dogs" Misses the point a little. You pulling the curtain back and pointing to the Great Wizard, 5 minutes into the movie, misses the point a bit. It's all Meh bro, life isn't that complicated. Your indifference and nonchalantness isn't all that earth shattering, in fact Microsoft and IBM used to say "they only represent less than 3% of all computer users..." too. How is that indifference working out for them?
    So Apple is now a martyr for saving the credit card industry? My credit card is a next to nothing part of my life. I charge things on it, pay it off when due and don't think twice about it. This is not what made Apple great.
    LOL You sir are not the average consumer. Congrats on WINNING! Apple isn't a martyr. They won't die because of this. They will however, usher in a changed ecosystem that never existed before. They will usher in a new and easier way for the "average consumer" to interact with their finances. Bro clearly this isn't a big deal to you. However, your incredible money skillz aren't who this is for. This is for the average user. This is for the masses. This just took your "I'm winning at life cuz I can finance..." and made it easier for the average user to win. GAME CHANGER. Your once venerable DOS Command Line user skillz have just been fossilized. Welcome to irrelevance. 
    So it's for people who buy stuff they don't need, with money they don't have to impress people they don't like (to quote Dave Ramsey). In other words, imbeciles.
    The worst kind of imbecile is one who does not understand the opportunity cost of using one’s capital.

When someone says “I never take on debt,” they simply have no clue how they could have invested their capital to earn a higher rate of return, and therefore how, by avoiding debt, they’re incurring an opportunity cost. 

I recommend some Econ 101. 
    ElJeffewatto_cobra
  • Reply 124 of 279
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    6502 said:
    sflocal said:
    6502 said:
    I pay cash for all my cars. And, I sleep like a baby at night knowing I don't owe anyone a nickel. The borrower is slave to the lender. You are criticizing me for being fiscally sound? LOL. If you enjoy paying fees and interest be my guest. I know I'll never be sued for not being able to pay on a load I don't have.
    Well that's just good for you.  Paying cash when you can use someone else's money is not sound planning as far as I'm concerned.  I bought my car a couple years ago with 0% financing.  I had the cash, but why take my $50K out of the market when I can keep it working for me?

The money I made on that $50K over the two years resulted in a significant "discount" on my car when I paid it off 8 months ago.  
    Wow, you sure scammed them. Good for you. Zero percent auto financing is rare, usually reserved for poor selling cars or a bad economy. You know how many people went bankrupt "using someone else's money"? Sounds like a late night real estate infomercial.
    What the heck are you talking about?  I didn't "scam" anyone.  Stop changing the narrative to suit your agenda.  I have a perfect credit score of 850.  That 0% financing was offered only to folks with the best credit.  Folks with low credit don't qualify because obviously, if they are more a credit risk than they have to pay more for the privilege of financing.  In addition, that 0% was only for vehicles of the prior model year.  It has nothing to do with your fabricated "poor selling" vehicles.  My car is one on the best sellers for Ford so give it a rest.

That 0% deal is not rare.  Stop making shit up if you don't know.  This was offered to anyone that qualified, meaning responsible people.  If you really believe paying $50K for a car in cash is better than a 0% loan allowing you to keep your money working for you, then maybe you are the one that got swayed by those late night infomercials and got suckered into one.
    ElJeffebestkeptsecretasdasdmacguiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 125 of 279
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,033member
    melgross said:
    My question involves that card itself. Apple said that it was for when in an establishment that didn’t (yet) accept Apple Pay. But, with nothing on the card other than the chip, we’re (see, I already committed to getting this) going to have a problem for all of those places that are tardy enough to have not yet gotten chip readers. And despite the deadline having passed last year, I think, I still encounter places, mostly small, that can’t use a chip card.

well, still carrying other cards would be wise for a time.
    The deadline was not a hard one for deploying chip-based terminals. It was a transfer of liability. Before the deadline, any fraudulent activity was the responsibility of the credit card issuer. After the deadline, the liability transfered to the merchant.

Thus, a merchant can continue using swipe terminals, but with the liability of higher risk of fraud. Note that the transfer of liability dates were different between regular retail POS systems and gas station pump POS terminals.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 126 of 279
    wizard69 said:
    Soli said:
    hmlongco said:
    Standard isn’t always best when many cards have better rewards than 2%. Also, my standard purchases are extremely low compared to other categories. There’s practically nowhere that I purchase things that I can’t get at least 3% back and up to 5% on most things. 

Depends on how one defines "best", doesn't it? The Amazon Prime Store Card, for example, gives you 5% back... with a 28.24% annual APR.

Apple committed to a low (albeit unspecified) APR, with no fees, no late charges, and no penalties. Not to mention the not-so-minor fact that you get your rewards back daily as Apple Cash. Not at the end of the month, not when you redeem them. Daily.

Then there's the secure unique randomized card number per transaction. No number or signature to steal on the physical card. No tracking of purchases. No sales of transaction data.

I don't know about you, but there's a ton of value in privacy and security.
    Fees and APRs don’t matter if you pay your balance in full. 
    You realize that being able to pay off your cards every month isn’t the norm, right?
    If you think the “norm” is being stupid then we have a problem.  By the way I learned this the hardway and have drastically changed my use of a credit card.    At this point I try to keep all card purchases beyond an emergency  at a level easily payable every month.   The average person can literally save themselves hundreds of dollars a year by doing so.  

Frankly it wouldnt hurt for our educational system teach students why being conservative in your use of money is so important.  
    Whether you believe it's stupid or not is completely irrelevant. Most people cannot pay off their cc every single month, and use it to get by when they need to. It's not even a matter of intelligence, I assure you.
    Consumer card debt is much lower outside the USA. Think about that.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 127 of 279
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    6502 said:
    Why are we debating the efficacy and morality of credit cards?  Virtually everyone in America has a credit card, so what's wrong with Apple offering one with better terms and security than most?  If you don't use credit cards, don't sign up for an Apple Card.  If your existing card is better under all circumstances than the Apple Card, or you don't want yet another credit card, don't get one.  

Now if Apple wants to get into the furniture rental scam, that's another story altogether...
    Mostly debating carrying a balance. And how humdrum the Apple Card is.
    Is there another card with no annual fee, no late fee, and 2% cash back (to say nothing of the security features)?  That would be a big deal if it were someone like Capital One announcing it.

BTW, no one here is arguing the other side of your "you should pay off your credit card every month--or not even use a credit card--if you can" proposition.  Yes, paying interest when you don't have to is bad.
    But it’s just not all 2% cash back. It’s 1% as well for all the many places that don’t have tap to pay terminals. Like every restaurant I go to doesn’t have that. So now I’m back to 1% because I have to use a card. 
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 128 of 279
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 433member
    Soli said:
    rob53 said:
    Finally!!!!

Getting this to replace my Costco Citibank VISA card. Better rewards program. 

Will costco allow the MasterCard version or does their Apple Pay use hide the credit card type?
    Really?!?! Because 4% for gas and 3% for dining on the Costco Citi Card is a better reward than 2% and 1% for the Apple Card. That’s not better to me. 
    What?! The Costco card is 1% for all standard purchases while Card is 2%.
    Standard isn’t always best when many cards have better rewards than 2%. Also, my standard purchases are extremely low compared to other categories. There’s practically nowhere that I purchase things that I can’t get at least 3% back and up to 5% on most things. 
    Good for effing you. So don’t get the damn card. And while your at it stop trolling the damn forum. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 128 of 279
    ElCapitan said:
    melgross said:
    ElCapitan said:
    They might as well have launched an Apple Cart. It would be equally unavailable and useless for the majority of Apple users. 

Is this a local US event? 
    This is actually useful for the majority of Apple users. You really need to give reasons. Just saying what you did says nothing.
    What is it about only being available in the US you don't understand? The majority of Apple customers are NOT in the us...
    ElCapitan is correct. The vast majority of Apple users do not reside in the USA. Apple’s number one market has been PR China for several years. Add them to the rest of the world and the USA market is a minority.
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 130 of 279
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    6502 said:
    Soli said:
    hmlongco said:

Depends on how one defines "best", doesn't it? The Amazon Prime Store Card, for example, gives you 5% back... with a 28.24% annual APR.

Apple committed to a low (albeit unspecified) APR, with no fees, no late charges, and no penalties. Not to mention the not-so-minor fact that you get your rewards back daily as Apple Cash. Not at the end of the month, not when you redeem them. Daily.

Then there's the secure unique randomized card number per transaction. No number or signature to steal on the physical card. No tracking of purchases. No sales of transaction data.

You realize that being able to pay off your cards every month isn’t the norm, right?
    It is very normal for those of us who are mature with our money and only buy what we can afford. Look up Dave Ramsey. If being in debt is normal, I'm very happy being abnormal.
    Wow .... if a person needs to pay off an unexpected $600.00 bill over 4 months because they needed to use an credit card  doesn’t mean they ar heavily in debt,  or need the “Snowball Plan”  from Dave Ramsey.

My goodness!  Even if it isn’t an emergency paying something over time is just easier for some folks. Not every credit card has a 30% interest rate. 

Sometimes the convenience of not having to pay back an amount immediately is helpful.  It’s not always a signal of living beyond your means, or being buried in debt. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 131 of 279
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member
    I definitely welcome that kind of app that keeps track of my spending, like Mint.com but this one looks much easier and more clear. Mint is notorious for giving wrong label or doesnt give clear ID of the purchase.
    ElJeffewatto_cobra
  • Reply 132 of 279
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 433member
    6502 said:
    Funny to watch people get so excited about something as mundane as a credit card. Up next, the Apple shoelace! I use my costco card at costco and my 2% back citi MC everywhere else. I don't really care if I miss out on an extra 1% back on a $30 purchase. That extra $0.30 won't make a difference in my life. Outside the iPhone (and less so the Mac), Apple is turning into a company I care less and less about. But, I did make a lot of money on their stock :smiley: 
    Listen companies evolve and they change. IBM don’t make meat slicers anymore do they? I suspect until technology catches up with designers’ vision the first iPhone experience won’t be repeated anytime soon. Hope I’m wrong about intriguing new hardware but this service side of Apple is quite exciting. Let’s hope both aspects of this great company comes together in ways we can definitely enjoy. 
    ElJeffebestkeptsecretwatto_cobra
  • Reply 133 of 279
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Will the new Apple Card allow me to exceed the $100 limit in Canada that all cards, banks and stores currently implement. Whenever I pay for anything over $100, like groceries, Apple Pay on my iPhone won't work and I have to pull out my credit card and enter my PIN.
    I imagine Apple will need to adhere to whatever are Canadian regulations or standards.
    Some stores allow over $100 to be spent on Apple Pay. So it's not a regulation. It's either the credit card, the bank, or the store. Which is it? Can Apple fix this?
    If it’s the store, I really doubt it.
  • Reply 134 of 279
    65026502 Posts: 380member
    mpantone said:
    ElCapitan said:
    melgross said:
    ElCapitan said:
    They might as well have launched an Apple Cart. It would be equally unavailable and useless for the majority of Apple users. 

Is this a local US event? 
    This is actually useful for the majority of Apple users. You really need to give reasons. Just saying what you did says nothing.
    What is it about only being available in the US you don't understand? The majority of Apple customers are NOT in the us...
    ElCapitan is correct. The vast majority of Apple users do not reside in the USA. Apple’s number one market has been PR China for several years. Add them to the rest of the world and the USA market is a minority.
    Users, perhaps, but Apple gets most of its revenue from the US, China is 3rd after Europe.

spock1234randominternetperson
  • Reply 135 of 279
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,100member
    I save more money by not spending money instead of getting 2% back on the money I already spent  :p
    spock1234designr
  • Reply 136 of 279
    jcs2305 said:
    6502 said:
    Soli said:
    hmlongco said:

It is very normal for those of us who are mature with our money and only buy what we can afford. Look up Dave Ramsey. If being in debt is normal, I'm very happy being abnormal.
    Wow .... if a person needs to pay off an unexpected $600.00 bill over 4 months because they needed to use an credit card  doesn’t mean they ar heavily in debt,  or need the “Snowball Plan”  from Dave Ramsey.

My goodness!  Even if it isn’t an emergency paying something over time is just easier for some folks. Not every credit card has a 30% interest rate. 

Sometimes the convenience of not having to pay back an amount immediately is helpful.  It’s not always a signal of living beyond your means, or being buried in debt. 

If it's truly an emergency, then it should come out of your emergency fund (you do have an emergency fund, right?). If you're too lazy to just pay it off and rather pay interest then I have no sympathy for you being poor. How hard is it to pay a bill for god sakes? What's happening to us? I'm scared for our future.
  • Reply 137 of 279
    gilly33 said:
    6502 said:
    Funny to watch people get so excited about something as mundane as a credit card. Up next, the Apple shoelace! I use my costco card at costco and my 2% back citi MC everywhere else. I don't really care if I miss out on an extra 1% back on a $30 purchase. That extra $0.30 won't make a difference in my life. Outside the iPhone (and less so the Mac), Apple is turning into a company I care less and less about. But, I did make a lot of money on their stock :smiley: 
    Listen companies evolve and they change. IBM don’t make meat slicers anymore do they? I suspect until technology catches up with designers’ vision the first iPhone experience won’t be repeated anytime soon. Hope I’m wrong about intriguing new hardware but this service side of Apple is quite exciting. Let’s hope both aspects of this great company comes together in ways we can definitely enjoy. 
    On the service side, apple is just playing catch up to the rest of the industry.
  • Reply 138 of 279
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member

Apple knows it's clientele incredibly well. Titanium card for no AF, 2% with ONLY Apple Pay and 1% MOST everything else, Machine learning + Apple Maps to simplify finances. No Forex fees on a no AF card is nice.

Sounds pretty interesting to the normal person, but horribly mediocre to people that maximize credit cards full rewards. 

spock1234
  • Reply 139 of 279
    I am the 1% and I want my 2%!
    SoliElJeffewatto_cobra
  • Reply 140 of 279
    sflocal said:
    6502 said:
    sflocal said:
    6502 said:
    I pay cash for all my cars. And, I sleep like a baby at night knowing I don't owe anyone a nickel. The borrower is slave to the lender. You are criticizing me for being fiscally sound? LOL. If you enjoy paying fees and interest be my guest. I know I'll never be sued for not being able to pay on a load I don't have.
    Well that's just good for you.  Paying cash when you can use someone else's money is not sound planning as far as I'm concerned.  I bought my car a couple years ago with 0% financing.  I had the cash, but why take my $50K out of the market when I can keep it working for me?

The money I made on that $50K over the two years resulted in a significant "discount" on my car when I paid it off 8 months ago.  
    Wow, you sure scammed them. Good for you. Zero percent auto financing is rare, usually reserved for poor selling cars or a bad economy. You know how many people went bankrupt "using someone else's money"? Sounds like a late night real estate infomercial.
    What the heck are you talking about?  I didn't "scam" anyone.  Stop changing the narrative to suit your agenda.  I have a perfect credit score of 850.  That 0% financing was offered only to folks with the best credit.  Folks with low credit don't qualify because obviously, if they are more a credit risk than they have to pay more for the privilege of financing.  In addition, that 0% was only for vehicles of the prior model year.  It has nothing to do with your fabricated "poor selling" vehicles.  My car is one on the best sellers for Ford so give it a rest.

That 0% deal is not rare.  Stop making shit up if you don't know.  This was offered to anyone that qualified, meaning responsible people.  If you really believe paying $50K for a car in cash is better than a 0% loan allowing you to keep your money working for you, then maybe you are the one that got swayed by those late night infomercials and got suckered into one.
    Zero % car financing is rare as obviously they make no money on loaning you money. Show me a manufacturer offering 0% currently. They probably just wanted to get rid of that car that's been on their lot all year (it was costing them money as they probably took a loan out to buy it). The only way you get a perfect credit score is by borrowing a lot of money, after all it is called a "credit" score. I assume once your home mortgage is paid off, you'll remortgage it and invest that money in the stock market. After all the mortgage rate is 4.5% and the market returns 10%. But, you know you won't do that. You're forgetting about risk.

I'll continue to be a multimillionaire that never goes into debt, and you can continue to do whatever it is you do.