Editorial: Steve Jobs would have been proud of Tim Cook's Apple News & Apple TV event

Comments

• Reply 21 of 93
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,766member
    There are two obvious differences between Steve and Cook. Steve was in it because he truly believed his products could make the world a better place, his prime motive wasn't profit. Cook seems to be in it for the money, which makes sense as he was an operations guy.

On stage, Steve was overjoyed to be presenting his latest new product. You see his genuine passion and how proud he was that Apple produced whatever thing he was presenting. He was excited to show you the attention to detail, the awesome little features that were so Apple-esque. Cook on the other hand seems false to me. Whether it's his drawling accent having a subconscious effect I don't know, but he just seems unimpressed with everything. His dragged out "it's really incrediball... and magical" is so false and overdone I'm surprised its not a meme. Steve also seemed more focused on what the feature/product would enable you to do, and was obviously excited about using the new feature. I get the impression from Cook that it's only great when it can add to Apple's bottom line.

Also, has there ever been a price reduction of any Mac or iPhone under Cook?
    edited March 2019 designrcgWerkschemengin
  • Reply 22 of 93
    mac_128 said:
    macxpress said:
    Never a fan of what Steve would have though articles or comments....oh well. Nobody truly knows what Steve would have though. I guess it was kind of a Steve Job jobs type Keynote, especially the movies portion at the end. I will say that was very well done. Hopefully it turns out as good as the Keynote did in the end. 
    Frankly I can’t believe any legitimate article, opinion or not, would trade on the concept of “Steve Jobs would have ....”. And I’m absolutely stunned AI would do it. Such articles completely undermine the credibility of not just the person presenting the article, but the website itself.
    Check out Daniel’s title for the article on his own roughlydraftedbeta.com: https://roughlydraftedbeta.com/home/2019/3/30/why-did-apple-throw-a-tim-cook-event-at-its-steve-jobs-theater, which, by the way, was published before it showed up here at AI.

Dan_Dilgerbakedbananas
  • Reply 23 of 93
    rkoelzrkoelz Posts: 1member
    Amen!
    Thanks for a real look at Apple and Tim Cook. 
    The "Apple Press" is almost always wrong. 
    Meanwhile, Apple is the most valuable public company in the world!

bakedbananaswatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 24 of 93
    NotsofastNotsofast Posts: 450member
    firelock said:
    What AI is pointing out is the classic non-doer critic's response to the doers. Whether or not Apple succeeds at everything it is trying to do right now in services is an open question, that they are making the attempt is what is more important. And if something fails Apple has shown its willingness to let go of what is not working (Ping, AirPower, Newstand, trashcan Mac Pro) and try something else rather than cling desperately to failing business model until it is too late. To quote Theodore Roosevelt: 

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” 

TR's quote was  more apt for Apple's early years with Jobs and Wozniak's struggles where they put it all on the line and "dared greatly," versus the "struggles' of the now most valuable company in the world in their efforts to produce a minor accessory like Airpower or some like Ping as those weren't the "high achievements" or "worthy causes" that TR was speaking about.
    gatorguy
  • Reply 25 of 93
    NotsofastNotsofast Posts: 450member

mac_128 said:
    macxpress said:
    Never a fan of what Steve would have though articles or comments....oh well. Nobody truly knows what Steve would have though. I guess it was kind of a Steve Job jobs type Keynote, especially the movies portion at the end. I will say that was very well done. Hopefully it turns out as good as the Keynote did in the end. 
    Frankly I can’t believe any legitimate article, opinion or not, would trade on the concept of “Steve Jobs would have ....”. And I’m absolutely stunned AI would do it. Such articles completely undermine the credibility of not just the person presenting the article, but the website itself.
    Not one of DED's best efforts as it seemed to lack some focus, but you seem to be suggesting Steve Jobs was some type of deity whose name can not be uttered except in the most reverential tones.  I am confident that is something Jobs himself would have rejected.  ;) 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 93
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 975member
    eideard said:
    "I wish I could get adult-oriented “stickers” but you can’t." Take the comparatively small amount of time needed to learn to use Apple and Apple-based software and you may create your own stickers.
    Yea, and I can go and shoot my own film and upload that to my phone as well so what’s your point?  I’m not an artist or looking to make my own.  I want to browse and buy from other people in the same way I can for Apple-approved “safe” stickers—and be able to get and use the ones my friends are using (or vice versa)—just as easily.  I thought that was obvious.

What you seem to be suggesting is: I have to be a registered developer; make a sticker set in Xcode on a Mac; use my phone as a test device to install the stickers; and if I want to share them I have to use the Test Flight app (presumably as a paid developer) to share them to other people via a link, which may conflict with Apple’s terms of service anyway.  And you’re seriously putting that as a rebuttal to my point about censorship and oversight? That’s some pretty decent Apple defending I gotta say.  Hats off!

If I’m missing something I apologise, but I can’t really see how your not-so-subtle dig had anything to do with the point I was making in relation to this thread.
    gatorguy
  • Reply 27 of 93
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    Notsofast said:

mac_128 said:
    macxpress said:
    Not one of DED's best efforts as it seemed to lack some focus, but you seem to be suggesting Steve Jobs was some type of deity whose name can not be uttered except in the most reverential tones.  I am confident that is something Jobs himself would have rejected.  ;) 

Self referential statement.
    tenthousandthingsjony0
  • Reply 28 of 93
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member
    mac_128 said:
    macxpress said:
    The original headline was "Why did Apple throw a Tim Cook Event at its Steve Jobs Theater?"
    The article isn't even about "What Steve Jobs would have."
    bakedbananaswatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 93
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Always interesting to see the reaction of the negative naysayers to a positive article on an Apple centric website. The “fanboy” invective is trotted out almost immediately. 
    bakedbananassacto joeJWSCwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 30 of 93
    Yes.  Steve Jobs would have been very proud especially about the TV & TV+ presentations because his dream will come true...
    AppleTV hardware and software will eventually become the defacto standards for TV because it simply works better.

tvOS apps are more responsive because the OS is better architected and it is also more feature rich.
    SIRI integration in tvOS has greatly improved to fully support CableTV applications like Spectrum, DirecTV Now, PlayStation Vue and soon Optimum etc...  using single signal or zero signal. (No competing platform does this.)  

When you say Tune to CNN, regardless of what app is currently running, tvOS knows whether to launch your cable application and Tune it to CNN or launch the CNN app etc...
    This fully integrates on demand and live television using SIRI/AI.  (No competing platform does this.)

Apple is pulling all the right strings despite resistance of cable companies and it is working.
    Dan_Dilgersacto joewatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 93
    I don't follow the credit card, news or games industries, but for streaming TV, AppleTV+ was a flop or at best, whether it will flop is to be decided. Here's Apple's problem, they are not an innovator in this market. They are actually quite late. Netflix has defined the market so that there are just two ways to compete. Netflix and Amazon have the advantage of being incumbents and making use of subscriber inertia to keep them from jumping ship, so Apple is locked out of the incumbent option.

Option !: Apple can do like Disney and AT&T will be doing: compete using big, monster, global brands like Star Wars and Game of Thrones. Make new content exclusive to their streaming services and watch the subscriptions rack up. Apple has no brands like this (Spielberg and Oprah aren't franchise blockbuster brands), but they could go on a shopping spree and buy brands from CBS, Comcast, Sony, etc or in some cases just buy the whole company.

Option 2: The other way to jump is the meta-service direction. Their bundling scheme, which so far just mimics Amazon (maybe), is a step in this direction. The problem here is, why should people get HBO for $15/month from Apple, when they can get it for the same price from HBO? Apple would do better if it started negotiating discounts. If we get Apple+, they throw in HBO for $12/month. This requires cooperation by AT&T of course and also raises the issue of who is seeing and in control of the customer data? I see that as the ultimate prize in all this, and fights over accessing and managing customer data could screw up the emergence of a true meta-service.

So our job now is to wait to see if Apple makes any inroads on either or both of the potentially successful strategies open to them. because I'm not seeing any other option for them here. They have to make one of those strategies work, if not both, or they get shut out of what will be a very small roster of winners in global streaming. It could be four - Netflix, Amazon, Disney, AT&T - or if Apple muscles in, it could be five. But it won't be much more than that because the paying customers aren't going to opt for a lot of these services. They will choose two or three and that's it. Maybe churn between them but they're not going to have six at once.
  • Reply 32 of 93
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,654member
    Let’s revisit this article in a year and see what comes out of it, eh?   The negativity of the media and the fan base is at an all time high, I’d say.   Everyone judges, but no one keeps score. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 93
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,250member
    tvOS apps are more responsive because the OS is better architected and it is also more feature rich.
    SIRI integration in tvOS has greatly improved to fully support CableTV applications like Spectrum, DirecTV Now, PlayStation Vue and soon Optimum etc...  using single signal or zero signal. (No competing platform does this.)
    I've no idea what you're referring to. Could you explain that a little better or supply a link? "No signal" I guess means something other than what we typically think? I believe that Android TV is projected to become a de facto standard for the boxes cable providers are supplying according to a recent article, but perhaps you're talking something different. 
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 34 of 93
    MisterKitMisterKit Posts: 500member
    What would put Apple in an unprecedented position would be to own a piece of the cellular industry. This is the middle link between hardware and services. Imagine your Apple LTE devices came ready to use right out of the box and you just add the services you want.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 93
    "MacBooks should just be thicker, because that's what people really want: a thick PC with USB-A ports and maybe a tablet mode featuring detachable bases, m most importantly with no "butterfly" keyboard. " Except for the detachable base, that's what some of us do want. I would consider a laptop again as my main machine if they would make one that didn't have the goal of having as few ports as possible. The keyboard issue is nothing but bad publicity - the drive to thinness has sacrificed usability. As a bonus, they could put larger batteries in such a machine.
    edited March 2019 bigpics
  • Reply 36 of 93
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Notsofast said:

mac_128 said:
    macxpress said:

Nah. Jobs was just a guy who was very good at what he did. I object to any use of a deceased person to endorse or disparage a thing for which they have no ability to defend, much less by a third party who didn’t even personally know the man, but the well crafted image Jobs presented, and commented on by others.
  • Reply 37 of 93
    gatorguy said:
    I've no idea what you're referring to. Could you explain that a little better or supply a link? "No signal" I guess means something other than what we typically think? I believe that Android TV is projected to become a de facto standard for the boxes cable providers are supplying according to a recent article, but perhaps you're talking something different. 
    Well, The SIRI for Cable control is relatively new.  You can tell SIRI to Tune or switch or change to any cable network channel that you want and from anywhere in the OS or other application and it will knows how to use Spectrum, DirecTV Now, PlayStation Vue and soon Optimum to automatically switch to that channel.  This uses 0 signon or single signon + AI to work.  It knows which channels you are subscribed to from your cable provider.  This makes AppleTV a very easy TV Platform to use.

The tvOS Apps being more responsive and smoother comes from the integration of the tvOS graphics APIs along with custom ASICs to encode/decode HE-AAC leading to very smooth interface and high performance video streaming on relatively low bandwidth.  You will need to try the AppleTV along with the Roku and the FireTV and GoogleTV to appreciate it.  Not to mention features such as watching multiple sporting events on the same screen with apps that support it etc...

I think tvOS is the future and other platforms that do not run the TV application will gradually become irrelevant.

edited March 2019 sacto joe
  • Reply 38 of 93
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,250member
    gatorguy said:
    Well, The SIRI for Cable control is relatively new.  You can tell SIRI to Tune or switch or change to any cable network channel that you want and from anywhere in the OS or other application and it will knows how to use Spectrum, DirecTV Now, PlayStation Vue and soon Optimum to automatically switch to that channel.  This uses 0 signon or single signon + AI to work.  It knows which channels you are subscribed to from your cable provider.  This makes AppleTV a very easy TV Platform to use.

The tvOS Apps being more responsive and smoother comes from the integration of the tvOS graphics APIs along with custom ASICs to encode/decode HE-AAC leading to very smooth interface and high performance video streaming on relatively low bandwidth.  You will need to try the AppleTV along with the Roku and the FireTV and GoogleTV to appreciate it.  Not to mention features such as watching multiple sporting events on the same screen with apps that support it etc...

I think tvOS is the future and other platforms that do not run the TV application will gradually become irrelevant.

I have Apple TV but the 1080P gen, I also have Roku, both the in-built TCL and standalone (somewhere), and a Shield TV,  
  • Reply 39 of 93
    firelock said:
    What AI is pointing out is the classic non-doer critic's response to the doers. Whether or not Apple succeeds at everything it is trying to do right now in services is an open question, that they are making the attempt is what is more important. And if something fails Apple has shown its willingness to let go of what is not working (Ping, AirPower, Newstand, trashcan Mac Pro) and try something else rather than cling desperately to failing business model until it is too late. To quote Theodore Roosevelt: 

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” 

Maybe the grandiose language should be reserved for people working on curing pancreatic cancer and Grand Unification and not someone shilling credit cards.
    gatorguydesignrcgWerksIreneW
  • Reply 40 of 93
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:

I have Apple TV but the 1080P gen, I also have Roku, both the in-built TCL and standalone (somewhere), and a Shield TV,  
    OK.  the fourth generation 1080P is now called AppleTV HD. Depending on your cable tv provider you may have an App for them. Which one do you prefer?