Microsoft Store loses eBook sales fight, will refund users & delete books in July

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    Johan42 said:
    dysamoria said:
    So the content people bought will be removed from their access? Why anyone buys ephemeral digital content that cannot be perpetually maintained I will never understand. 
    It’s the future...unfortunately.
    Heh, yeah, and in like 1000 years (if humanity is still around), no one will be able to figure out what happened during the early 2000s as all information from that era was lost.

lkrupp said:
    Well, some people have 50 years worth of National Geographic magazines stockpiled in their attics too. It’s a hoarding mentality and it applies to digital media too. 
    I guess that depends on what the information/content is. If it isn't junk, then it is called a library.
    I'm glad the ancients didn't think like this.

knowitall said:
    Digital books just don't work and have no value.
    It's a different kind of value, though there are certainly trade-offs.
    For example, you can't carry 1000s of songs or audio books around with you if they are stored in print on on discs.
    Or, you can't instantly search 1000 print books, or carry them in your backpack to class.
    Or, you can't run some of the more advanced forms of analysis on physical scrolls like they are doing in some of the modern textual-critical analysis of ancient texts.

I think DRM is more the problem than digital, though some well-thought-out forms of archiving have to be implemented.

melgross said:
    this would seem to be something Apple is aware of, or certainly should be, since it’s obvious it’s happening. As other apps don’t have this problem, it can’t be that hard to fix, unless something in the way they’re programmed is screwy.
    I just can't figure Apple out some days. For example, the Voice Memos app on everyone's iPhone is buggy as hell. The bugs are so obvious you can't miss them. Yet, Apple seems to not address them.

Sincere question: could I potentially lose access to the one book I bought on the Apple Book store if Apple closes it down?
    We don't think so. There doesn't appear to be an external content kill-switch mechanism in iBooks.
    Except at some point, you might get a new device/OS that no longer supports Books and then you're screwed.

dave marsh said:
    The true value in a book is in its content.  The physical binding is great to handle and look at, and smells great too, but acquiring physical books is an option I no longer have the space for.
    The other thing, is that as your eyes get older (or even potentially fail) digital books bring other opportunities like changing the font size, or even having the device read it to you. And, as I mentioned above... from a scholarly perspective, being able to search everything including your notes, is a pretty big deal.

I love digital... and like you we've sold many bookcases full of books (we're down to about 1 standard Ikea type bookcase now). But, I do worry about everything being so personal to just my use. When I'm gone some day... will my son maybe read any of my digital books (if he even has access)? Will they be any benefit to future society, like the libraries people built in the the past?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 23
    dysamoria said:
    So the content people bought will be removed from their access? Why anyone buys ephemeral digital content that cannot be perpetually maintained I will never understand. 
    And companies wonder why people prefer to pirate their content instead of "buying" it
  • Reply 23 of 23
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    dysamoria said:
    And companies wonder why people prefer to pirate their content instead of "buying" it
    No. One thing has nothing to do with the other, and you know it.
    watto_cobra