Netflix drops AirPlay support citing unnamed 'technical limitations'

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2019
For reasons unknown, Netflix recently disabled the ability to stream content from an iOS device to Apple TV using Apple's AirPlay protocol, a move that limits customer options.

Netflix AirPlay
Netflix debuted AirPlay support in 2013.

The change in app policy was noted in a recent update to the official Netflix Help Center webpage, which now instructs iOS device users to connect to a TV using built-in Chromecast, Netflix 2nd Screen or a physical cable.

"Airplay is no longer supported for use with Netflix due to technical limitations," according to the Netflix document.

Customers attempting to stream video content to an Apple TV or AirPlay-compatible device are now met with an error message.

As noted by MacRumors, which reported on the development on Friday, the abrupt end to AirPlay support is something of a curiosity.

Netflix first offered support for AirPlay in 2013 and has maintained functionality until this week. Further, the company provides user access to a standalone tvOS app, which for many makes AirPlay a redundant feature.

While not confirmed, Netflix could be shoring up content protections as major TV manufacturers begin to integrate AirPlay 2 into their respective lineups. The addition means users will no longer need an Apple TV to stream video from apps that support protocol.

At CES 2019, Samsung, Sony and Vizio each revealed upcoming TV hardware support for Apple's streaming protocol in separate announcements. Korean tech giant LG followed suit in March.

Netflix's AirPlay reversal arrives just two days after Vizio launched a beta version of its SmartCast 3 software with support for both AirPlay 2 and HomeKit.

Netflix is making efforts to silo its content, and finances, to official channels like its own iOS and tvOS apps. In November, the company stripped its iOS app of in-app subscription options, effectively avoiding App Store revenue sharing fees.

More recently, Netflix CEO Reed Hastings in March said his company would not participate in a then-rumored Apple-branded subscription TV service. Apple unveiled Apple TV Channels and Apple TV+ at a special event a week later with no mention of Netflix integration.

"Apple's a great company. We want to have people watch our shows on our services," Hastings said at the time.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 54
    Why would anybody stream Netflix from their device to their Apple TV?  Why not just use the Apple TV app or the Netflix app on their TV?
    rogifan_newchristopher126flydogjahbladeqwerty52MacProasdasddarren mccoyHenryDJPbluefire1
  • Reply 2 of 54
    friedmudfriedmud Posts: 165member

Netflix is introducing "mobile only" plans in some markets at a steep discount.  They don't want those people to be able to "get around" the mobile only restriction by being able to use AirPlay.  I assume that they have more control over the chromecast stuff - so they can effectively shut that down for mobile-only users.

Personally - I've never used AirPlay for Netflix... as Dave points out I just use my AppleTVs connected to each one of my TVs (which also have their own Netflix app).  Hell - even my 4k Bluray player has a Netflix app... and so does my Nintendo Switch.  Airplay just isn't necessary...

gatorguyelijahgNY1822doozydozenmatrix077n2itivguyentropysracerhomie3chasmstevenoz
  • Reply 3 of 54
    tokyojimutokyojimu Posts: 529member
    Dave Kap said:
    Why would anybody stream Netflix from their device to their Apple TV?  Why not just use the Apple TV app or the Netflix app on their TV?
    Because it's easier to type in searches on your phone, and then AirPlay2 it to your Apple TV (or other device).
    racerhomie3deminsd
  • Reply 4 of 54
    Actually and to be frank e have discontinued use of Apple on all of our 4 smart LG tv’s - and the only device we now use is Roku. We found Apple device too controlling in switching devices including to the TV ... also Apples latest boxes always came on no matter when we did not even want to use them. It became unbearable - so they are all in a box waiting for the next garage sale. We are new to the Roku box but like these very much. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 54
    Dave Kap said:
    With AirPlay 2's licensing opening up, you could use a Samsung or LG TV as the targets. Now, why would that matter? I don't know. Maybe there's something about the data-gathering available to a content provider on a smart TV that Apple doesn't offer on iOS?
    MORGiON
  • Reply 6 of 54
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,727member
    What a bunch of crap. 

Netflix is controlling what I do with MY subscription on MY devices. 

Not right. At all. 

There are no tech limitations. 

Netflix streams a video. Then my iPad takes care of sending it to my big screen. 

Netflix literally has to work harder to PREVENT ME from enjoying the service the way I want than to allow airplay to work. 

It sucks when apple goes to awesome lengths in crafting crafting wonderful tools to enjoy life easily and then stupid decisions like this are made by every little player to further their own ends. 
    bonobobStrangeDaysracerhomie3qwerty52shahhet2LordeHawkbluefire1
  • Reply 7 of 54
    mistergsfmistergsf Posts: 241member
    ... also Apples latest boxes always came on no matter when we did not even want to use them. It became unbearable - so they are all in a box waiting for the next garage sale. We are new to the Roku box but like these very much. 
    If your Apple TV turned on "no matter when", then it was defective for not going to sleep/off after a period of no activity. Or, it could be a remote control situation. I have a Roku also but prefer the ATV because of the cleaner UI and 4K picture quality looks much better (plus Dolby Vision and Atmos).
    vukasikamacseekergilly33StrangeDaysracerhomie3qwerty52
  • Reply 8 of 54
    tjwolftjwolf Posts: 424member
    tokyojimu said:
    Dave Kap said:
    Because it's easier to type in searches on your phone, and then AirPlay2 it to your Apple TV (or other device).
    (1) Just do your search on your phone & add it to your list - then go to Apple TV and play from list.  Pretty much just as easy and doesn’t clog your wifi.
    (2) When you do searches on Apple TV, your phone brings up a notification to let you type there (but I’ve found that to be flakey as he11)
    n2itivguyqwerty52jimh2
  • Reply 9 of 54
    tokyojimu said:
    Dave Kap said:
    Just use the remote app on your iPhone or iPad to control your ATV. 
    flydogstompyn2itivguyfastasleeproundaboutnowqwerty52
  • Reply 10 of 54
    NetFlix is a 'crap' product...I'd prefer to watch anything via iTunes and pay for it than navigate thru such a shit interface. 
    agilealtituderacerhomie3qwerty52HenryDJP
  • Reply 11 of 54
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    Dave Kap said:
    Lots of reasons.  Mine is that my HughesNet satellite internet sucks big time.  If you live in an area with landline cable you’d have no clue.  Netflix will typically stall 7-8 times over a two hour movie and I have to wait 30-60 seconds for it to buffer before the movie continues.  Totally unacceptable, but that’s HughesNet for you.  And I have few alternatives.  On the other hand, I have unlimited data on AT&T and I never get a stalled movie using it.
  • Reply 12 of 54
    puggslypuggsly Posts: 28member
    friedmud said:
    Airplay just isn't necessary...

Maybe not but it is convent if you are just sharing a clip of something. You can scan to it on your device and then quickly throw it up to the tv, even if you are deep into an episode of GOT from the HBO app without having to back all the way out, dive all the way in, find the show, find the clip and show it. This is a jerk move because they always have the ability to just deny certain content (ie your mobile only shows out through AirPlay. This is just one more way Netflix is making it so I can't use their App as effectively in my chosen ecosystem, and one more reason to ultimately ditch them as a regular service and only subscribe for brief periods when there is some content only they have.
    racerhomie3StrangeDays
  • Reply 13 of 54
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,124member
    tokyojimu said:
    Dave Kap said:
    It’s even easier to use your iPhone keyboard with your AppleTV. 
  • Reply 14 of 54

NetFlix is a 'crap' product...I'd prefer to watch anything via iTunes and pay for it than navigate thru such a shit interface. 
    Can’t tell if this is sarcasm because the iTunes user interface is an abomination. Content progress doesn’t sync properly (if at all) across devices, episodes don’t automatically play after the last one ends, frequent outages.  The list goes on. 
    elijahgchemengin
  • Reply 15 of 54

What a bunch of crap. 

Not right. At all. 

Netflix streams a video. Then my iPad takes care of sending it to my big screen. 

Netflix literally has to work harder to PREVENT ME from enjoying the service the way I want than to allow airplay to work. 

It sucks when apple goes to awesome lengths in crafting crafting wonderful tools to enjoy life easily and then stupid decisions like this are made by every little player to further their own ends. 
    You should sue. 
    chemengin
  • Reply 16 of 54
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    It's sometimes possible to trick some anti-Airplay apps into working by sharing the screen of the iOS device rather than using the little Airplay button in the scrubber bar. 
    dunksn2itivguyracerhomie3
  • Reply 17 of 54
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    My take on this is that their financial model charges more for concurrent streaming to multiple devices. As iOS 13 will allow multiple instances of the same app to be open on iPad you could theoretically airplay one video to a TV while watching a second video on the iPad using picture-in-picture mode.
    gilly33JWSC
  • Reply 18 of 54
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,573member
    How do other media distributors deal with this situation? Do they allow or prohibit Airplay 2 streaming? I have never used Netflix, but clearly "technical difficulties" is a barefaced lie to the public. And clearly the motivation for them is money. Even if it's not about an exploit, it may just be about customer information. But in the end, it's about money. But hey, it's a free market and Netflix isn't the only fish in the sea.
    gilly33
  • Reply 19 of 54
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    tokyojimu said:
    Dave Kap said:
    Why not just use the iPhone to input text into the ATV app when it prompts you, assuming you have something against using Siri?
  • Reply 20 of 54
    matrix077matrix077 Posts: 868member
    What a bunch of crap. 

Not right. At all. 

Not sure if you’re being sarcastic or not but “Netflix is controlling what I do with MY subscription on MY devices.“ is exactly right. Luckily it’s easy to cancel and re-subscribe so I’ll do that. I won’t give Netflix my money all year round anymore.