Yahoo reaches $117.5M settlement for data breaches affecting 3 billion accounts

Posted:
in General Discussion
Yahoo has reportedly reached a $117.5 million settlement with the victims of multiple data breaches earlier this decade, which ultimately impacted some 3 billion accounts.

Yahoo billboard

The settlement must still be approved by U.S. District Judge Lucy Koh, based in San Jose, Reuters said. On Jan. 28 she rejected an earlier proposed settlement as it didn't identify how much it was actually worth, or what victims might stand to recoup.

Between 2013 and 2016 Yahoo suffered three data breaches exposing personal data, including email addresses. Despite the number of impacted accounts the company didn't begin disclosing the situation until late 2016.

By the time Verizon agreed to buy Yahoo in early 2017, the telecoms giant had managed to negotiate the takeover price down to $4.48 billion -- a $350 million discount, owing directly to the earlier hacks. It did however agree to split liabilities linked to lawsuits and government investigations.

Since 2016 there have been multiple major security breaches at other companies such as Facebook and Equifax. While lax security measures have sometimes been to blame, there have also been concerted attacks by criminals, as well as Chinese and Russian spy agencies.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    I can't wait to get my fair share of the settlement. Let's see... Siri, what 117.5Million divided by 3Billion?  $00.0392?  That new Apple 31" monitor is so mine!
    bigtdsracerhomie3lkruppcharlesatlaswonkothesanedysamoriacornchipTickTockNikdavgregCarnage
  • Reply 2 of 13
    widmarkwidmark Posts: 37member
    Justice served.. now the industry will be careful with sensitive personal data and CEOs won’t have incentive to hide breaches over long periods like Marissa Mayer did. 4 cents per account, before attorneys fees. That’ll teach em.

We all need to step up our push for lawmakers to fix this.
    edited April 2019 davgreg
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Now we all know how much the government thinks your privacy is worth. Four cents.
    racerhomie3dysamoria
  • Reply 4 of 13
    xiao-zhixiao-zhi Posts: 112member
    The last paragraph is misleading. Neither Russian or Chinese APTs have been implicated in any of the data breaches mentioned. Some Russian and Eastern European criminal gangs were implicated in the Yahoo data breaches, but these are criminal economic frauds, not espionage.
    These discrepancies are sloppy reporting and seem to be either click bait or deflection of responsibility from the hacked companies for very shady and lax data security.
    You should edit the story to remove these misleading statements or clarify the cases and relevance to the main subject.
    I’m not saying Russian and Chinese government entities don’t hack (all major governments do including the USA) but that it wasn’t a factor in the Yahoo, Facebook or Equifax cases and is irrelevant to this story.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

3 billion accounts? This is half the world population. 

cornchip
  • Reply 6 of 13
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    xiao-zhi said:
    The last paragraph is misleading. Neither Russian or Chinese APTs have been implicated in any of the data breaches mentioned. Some Russian and Eastern European criminal gangs were implicated in the Yahoo data breaches, but these are criminal economic frauds, not espionage.
    These discrepancies are sloppy reporting and seem to be either click bait or deflection of responsibility from the hacked companies for very shady and lax data security.
    You should edit the story to remove these misleading statements or clarify the cases and relevance to the main subject.
    I’m not saying Russian and Chinese government entities don’t hack (all major governments do including the USA) but that it wasn’t a factor in the Yahoo, Facebook or Equifax cases and is irrelevant to this story.
    Fair point.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    All this did was enrich some lawyers who will get 33 to 40% of the settlement.  There is no justice served since and no one will be held personally accountable.  
    cornchip
  • Reply 8 of 13
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    To borrow an old phrase:
    There is no justice there's just us.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    macgui said:
    I can't wait to get my fair share of the settlement. Let's see... Siri, what 117.5Million divided by 3Billion?  $00.0392?  That new Apple 31" monitor is so mine!
    Don’t laugh all the way to the bank yet. You forgot the lawyers’ cut.  
    cornchipCarnage
  • Reply 10 of 13
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    tzeshan said:

It seems you are assuming that it's only one account per person. I have three Yahoo accounts so I'm going to be laughing all the way to the bank with my $.12.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 11 of 13
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    All this did was enrich some lawyers who will get 33 to 40% of the settlement.  There is no justice served since and no one will be held personally accountable.  
    It does takes a bite out of Yahoo/Verizon. A civil trial can't put someone in prison (at least not directly as a result of the judgement).
  • Reply 12 of 13
    carnegiecarnegie Posts: 1,078member
    macgui said:
    linkman said:
    tzeshan said:

It seems you are assuming that it's only one account per person. I have three Yahoo accounts so I'm going to be laughing all the way to the bank with my $.12.
    One person can have multiple accounts. But there's also the issue of users who reside in the U.S. rather than elsewhere. I assume the 3 billion is meant to be a global number. This settlement only relates to users who reside in the U.S. or Israel. The proposal estimates that there are no more than 194 million such people.

That said, the proposal seems to anticipate that the vast majority of people who might be entitled to some form of relief under the settlement won't claim it.

The proposal is to make 4 different kinds of relief available: (1) reimbursement of costs incurred as a result of the breaches (e.g. for time spent dealing with issues they caused); (2) reimbursement of a portion of payments made (to Yahoo) for premium email services; (3) free credit monitoring for 2 years; and (4) alternative compensation of $100 (or possibly more) for those who already have credit monitoring.

Obviously, what's left of the $117.5 million settlement after attorneys' fees and expenses and administration costs - which would be, perhaps, $80 million - won't go very far if a large portion of the class seeks the kind of relief referred to in (1) and (4). That would require a proration of the relief which those who are entitled to such relief would receive.

But I'd guess that most of the class would only be entitled to the relief referred to in (3) - free credit monitoring for 2 years. For that, a credit monitoring service - AllClear ID - seems to be willing to shoulder the risk that a large number of people from the class will claim the relief they would be entitled to. It has, apparently, agreed to provide credit monitoring services to them for a set cost of $24 million regardless of how many people sign up for it. At a claimed retail value of $14.95 / month, $24 million wouldn't cover many people. Even with only 10 million people signing up, AllClear ID would only be getting about 10 cents per month per person.

That makes me wonder: (1) how good is the credit monitoring which class members are being offered and (2) whether, from AllClear ID's perspective, this is just a marketing tactic. Are they offering this service at what will be a loss, hoping that a meaningful portion of those who take advantage of the 2 free years will continue with the service (and start paying for it) after the 2 years is up?

edited April 2019