Disney CEO says Disney+ likely coming to Apple TV, intends to stay on Apple board

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    MacPro said:
    gatorguy said:
    MacPro said:
    gatorguy said:
    MacPro said:
    Awesome news.  Iger is obviously not a Schmitt.  So do we know what the additional cost will be on AppleTV, the same $6.99?
    Nope, the article says Disney hasn't even confirmed 100% that Disney+ will be available on the AppleTV+ service. I would certainly expect it to be but perhaps at a slightly higher cost than going direct. On the same note Chromecast was confirmed, but Android TV wasn't an absolute either, at least yet. Perhaps still negotiating the share percentages with some services before announcing availability, which would make sense. 
     I read "CEO Bob Iger elaborated on the upcoming release, saying the company plans to offer the product on Apple TV."  I highly doubt he's not going to follow through.  Anyhoo I just bought a load of DIS seems like a good bet.  My AAPL is up over 1000% on average (early purchases over 2000%) but my Netflix only 300% so I switched Netflix for Disney just for fun to see how it does for a year or two.
    Ah, you are looking at a different source then.

The AI article said, quoting:
    "The app will in all likelihood be available through traditional app distributors, Apple being one of them," Iger said. "So I'm fairly certain that if people want to buy the app -- sorry, subscribe to the app is probably a better way to put it -- they'll be able to do so through Apple and the iTunes Store."

While not an explicit admission that Disney+ will be made available on Apple TV as a tvOS app,..."

I hadn't seen the other quote you posted so it's appreciated. 
    Here you go.  From Apple Insider ... your part-time job for Google I assume?  Thanks to this I made a killing on DIS today and saved losing a ton on NFLX even if it is fake news. :)

That was AI's summation of what they interpreted his comments to be. I actually posted what he had to say. Geez o'Pete. I thought he might have said something else that you'd read elsewhere.  So since you didn't read the article again.

ronn
  • Reply 22 of 24
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    Disney stock price spiked, Apple stock took a hit on the announcement. Wall Street got it wrong. This is good news for both. Disney doesn’t own streaming hardware, it needs this service available on as many devices as possible to make the numbers work. AppleTV hardware combined with their new strategy to make AirPlay available on third party TVs makes Apple a growing platform for this content. The combination of Apple+ video content and Disney covers many bases (still not sure if Apple will include major network programming?). Netflix can win too as long as they halt price increases and don’t mess with Apple App Store, integration with AppleTV and AirPlay support. 
    edited April 2019
  • Reply 23 of 24
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    gatorguy said:
    MacPro said:
    gatorguy said:
    MacPro said:
    gatorguy said:
    MacPro said:
    Awesome news.  Iger is obviously not a Schmitt.  So do we know what the additional cost will be on AppleTV, the same $6.99?
    Nope, the article says Disney hasn't even confirmed 100% that Disney+ will be available on the AppleTV+ service. I would certainly expect it to be but perhaps at a slightly higher cost than going direct. On the same note Chromecast was confirmed, but Android TV wasn't an absolute either, at least yet. Perhaps still negotiating the share percentages with some services before announcing availability, which would make sense. 
     I read "CEO Bob Iger elaborated on the upcoming release, saying the company plans to offer the product on Apple TV."  I highly doubt he's not going to follow through.  Anyhoo I just bought a load of DIS seems like a good bet.  My AAPL is up over 1000% on average (early purchases over 2000%) but my Netflix only 300% so I switched Netflix for Disney just for fun to see how it does for a year or two.
    Ah, you are looking at a different source then.

The AI article said, quoting:
    "The app will in all likelihood be available through traditional app distributors, Apple being one of them," Iger said. "So I'm fairly certain that if people want to buy the app -- sorry, subscribe to the app is probably a better way to put it -- they'll be able to do so through Apple and the iTunes Store."

While not an explicit admission that Disney+ will be made available on Apple TV as a tvOS app,..."

I hadn't seen the other quote you posted so it's appreciated. 
    Here you go.  From Apple Insider ... your part-time job for Google I assume?  Thanks to this I made a killing on DIS today and saved losing a ton on NFLX even if it is fake news. :)

That was AI's summation of what they interpreted his comments to be. I actually posted what he had to say. Geez o'Pete. I thought he might have said something else that you'd read elsewhere.  So since you didn't read the article again.

No need to shout.  The reason my image was large was simply that it was a screenshot from a 4K monitor, my text was normal sized.  I said I'd read it ... I had, I showed you where.  
  • Reply 24 of 24
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Fatman said:
    Disney stock price spiked, Apple stock took a hit on the announcement. Wall Street got it wrong. This is good news for both. Disney doesn’t own streaming hardware, it needs this service available on as many devices as possible to make the numbers work. AppleTV hardware combined with their new strategy to make AirPlay available on third party TVs makes Apple a growing platform for this content. The combination of Apple+ video content and Disney covers many bases (still not sure if Apple will include major network programming?). Netflix can win too as long as they halt price increases and don’t mess with Apple App Store, integration with AppleTV and AirPlay support. 
    I agree Apple and Disney are good for each other. Wasn't much of a 'hit' either, that's more anti-Apple fake news.  It dipped a fraction but AAPL has been wobbling +- a few $s  a lot these last few weeks but overall is doing well.  One has to think the folks who are losing sleep are the traditional cable companies although I half expect a Netflix hostile takeover attempt from Comcast at some point.