Dark mode, universal 'Undo' gestures touted to arrive in 'iOS 13'

Posted:
in iOS edited April 2019
The next major release of iOS will join macOS in having a "dark mode," a report claims, with "iOS 13" also tipped to introduce increased multitasking options on iPad, font management changes, and a universal gesture to undo commands.

At the Worldwide Developer Conference 2019 on June 3, Apple is anticipated to offer a preview of the features it intends to introduce in future versions of its main operating systems. The biggest attraction will arguably be "iOS 13," which should ship this fall at around the same time as the 2019 iPhone refresh.

A highlight feature of the mobile operating system update will be a dark mode, which will trigger apps to display with darker backgrounds and lighter text and other elements, in a similar way to macOS, according to people "familiar" with its development who spoke to 9to5Mac. Changed in the Settings app, the mode will also include a high contrast version.

Apps that work on macOS as well as iOS via Marzipan will also benefit from offering dark mode on both platforms, with the app appearing in an identical way in each operating system.

Another major change is based around multitasking on iPad. Apps will be able to have multiple windows, which can be detached from their location using a drag gesture and moved around the iPad display, stacked to keep them tidy, and to be dismissed by being thrown away.

Adding fonts in iOS will be updated via the introduction of a font management panel in Settings, rather than relying on users to install a profile to import new fonts. Developers will be able to include a new font picker in their apps, while iOS will have a facility to warn users if the document contains fonts that are not already installed on the iPhone or iPad.

The Mail app will gain features that make it "smarter," including categorizing incoming messages into searchable subjects, as well as the ability for users to set messages to "read later." The app may also feature simplified collaboration with third-party document apps, in a similar fashion to how iOS treats documents used in Apple-produced apps.

Safari users will be able to set the browser to ask for a desktop version of websites on iPad, instead of viewing the mobile version by default.

The operating system will reportedly introduce new gestures, including a system-wide undo and redo command that consists of a three-finger tap on a keyboard followed by sliding left or right. Other gestures for selecting multiple items in table and collection views, dragging with multiple fingers, and others will also be included.

Other changes tipped for addition to "iOS 13" include an updated Reminders app, a refined volume interface, improvements to multilingual keyboard and dictation support, changes to in-app printing menus, and better rejection for misheard "Hey Siri" vocal prompts.

So far, it has been confirmed "iOS 13" will include a new batch of emoji, including extra hair and skin options, and stylized expressions.

Earlier reports that hinted at the inclusion of dark mode also suggested upgrades to how CarPlay operates, a new home screen for iPad, and the ability to tab through several versions of the same app.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Would appreciate iMessage "Save text draft" feature so I don't have to cancel out from half written text to come back to finish it. Most people write and send text but every now and then you need to start writing text, need more thinking/time for later come back finish and send. Meanwhile, you may want to attend other text messages which you can't do unless you cancel out of current text.
    Alternative is if Google ports to IOS it's official "Message" app for texting (SMS, MMS) and chat (RCS).

edited April 2019 hypoluxakkqd1337
  • Reply 2 of 53
    iOS_Guy80iOS_Guy80 Posts: 813member
    wood1208 said:
    Would appreciate iMessage "Save text draft" feature so I don't have to cancel out from half written text to come back to finish it. Most people write and send text but every now and then you need to start writing text, need more thinking/time for later come back finish and send. Meanwhile, you may want to attend other text messages which you can't do unless you cancel out of current text.
    Same here. In the meantime copy/paste gets the job done.
  • Reply 3 of 53
    emoelleremoeller Posts: 574member
    Ditto!  Perhaps this new floating card system could be used, as this would allow more drag and drop options in both Messages and other apps.
  • Reply 4 of 53
    Nice!
    edited April 2019
  • Reply 5 of 53
    Except no one wants Dark Mode 24/7 the way it was implemented in macOS. I had to use a third party app NightOwl to get what people actually want which is automatic shifting between Light/Dark mode based on time of day.

iOS of course will not be able to be manipulated in any such way.
    doozydozenmazda 3skkqd1337
  • Reply 6 of 53
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I'd like to see better iOS support for dual-SIM operation. Right now it's far too limited for me to take advantage of it.

wood1208 said:
    Alternative is if Google ports to IOS it's official "Message" app for texting (SMS, MMS) and chat (RCS).
    Could you explain that further? I know I've written messages and left the app to come back later to finish and send all while it saved my content in the text field.
    MisterKiturahara
  • Reply 7 of 53
    thttht Posts: 5,443member
    Making text edit boxes in Safari resizable and fixing the cursor control issues in Safari text edit boxes would be great.

I’d like to have 3 row onscreen keyboard so that there would be more room for apps, but perhaps that is asking for too much. Adding meta keys (command and control at least) and arrow keys would be great too.

Really looking forward to this update continuing to make the iPad more and more functional.
  • Reply 8 of 53
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    How about a setting to disable needing Face ID for apps, once I unlock the phone using Face ID?
    Like unlocking my front door and then needing to unlock each room in my house.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 9 of 53
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Except no one wants Dark Mode 24/7 the way it was implemented in macOS.
    I’ve had dark mode enabled 24/7 on all three of my Macs since it was introduced.
    edited April 2019 Solitshapidoozydozen
  • Reply 10 of 53
    frantisekfrantisek Posts: 756member
    wood1208 said:

Standard sharing option would be in 13th iOS iteration on Messages really in "time".
    edited April 2019
  • Reply 11 of 53
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    I hope iOS 13 makes text selection better. And I wish there was a way to set certain websites to always launch in desktop mode.
    MisterKitjcs2305StrangeDaysMplsP
  • Reply 12 of 53
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    this seems like the biggest change:

”Another major change is based around multitasking on iPad. Apps will be able to have multiple windows, which can be detached from their location using a drag gesture and moved around the iPad display, stacked to keep them tidy, and to be dismissed by being thrown away.”

...if true, moving to a windowed interface on iPad is a major departure.
    edited April 2019
  • Reply 13 of 53
    imagladryimagladry Posts: 105member
    Universal undo? Why is it reliant on the keyboard? What if I'm using paint/draw/photo editing/video editing/audio editing apps. It will be likely that I won't have the keyboard open. How willI be able to access "universal undo"?
    doozydozen
  • Reply 14 of 53
    MisterKitMisterKit Posts: 495member
    Undo in iOS is an enigma. It really is hard to imagine something that would be universal in a touch based environment. I am reasonably certain that the best minds at Apple have been brainstorming this for years.
  • Reply 15 of 53
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    Soli said:
    I'd like to see better iOS support for dual-SIM operation. Right now it's far too limited for me to take advantage of it.

wood1208 said:
    Could you explain that further? I know I've written messages and left the app to come back later to finish and send all while it saved my content in the text field.
    I thought the same thing.  If I have stopped typing for whatever reason. when I come back to the contact conversation what I wrote previously is still there and ready to be finished.  I just tried it in a existing conversation I have in iMessage just to make sure I wasn't confusing something and it worked. 

MisterKit
  • Reply 16 of 53
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 968member
    Except no one wants Dark Mode 24/7 the way it was implemented in macOS. I had to use a third party app NightOwl to get what people actually want which is automatic shifting between Light/Dark mode based on time of day.

You know, I thought so too, but now I find myself using Dark Mode on cloudy days and frequently indoors, it's turning pretty subjective. 

I see no reason why an automated switch won't come down the road, they already do that for Night Shift which is kind of related. But it makes sense to wait for broad adoption by the app ecosystem.
    edited April 2019
  • Reply 17 of 53
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member

I can't wait for this and I would leave it on 24/7.  With all the bright white backgrounds and over all brightness of IOS I find myself turning the brightness down on my iPhone sometimes because my eyes feel strained, and I actually keep the screen a bit dark to begin with and use True Tone.
    hmurchison
  • Reply 18 of 53
    macseekermacseeker Posts: 545member
    sflocal said:
    Except no one wants Dark Mode 24/7 the way it was implemented in macOS.
    I’ve had dark mode enabled 24/7 on all three of my Macs since it was introduced.
    I wonder when AppleInsider will have a dark mode setting.
  • Reply 19 of 53
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member

Not only do I want it, I've been using it on my Macs since it launched and even use the Accessibility option over enabling Smart Invert for times when I'm looking for a darker screen.
  • Reply 20 of 53
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    wood1208 said:

Use Drafts ...it's designed to collect raw text and then send that text wherever you want and apply a lot of nifty actions upon said text if desired.