Comments

• Reply 41 of 50
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    apple ][ said:
    Android is popular with financially challenged people and Android does well especially in third world countries, for obvious reasons.

I also have a theory for why so many Android devices get sold, besides many of them being dirt cheap. It's simple, they don't last that long and they need to be replaced much more often.

Buying an Android phone is like buying a pair of socks.

People use iOS devices for many, many years, while they still get the latest updates and their devices function well for a very long time. My mom still has an iPad 2 from 2011 that she uses to FaceTime with and it still works fine, though I might surprise her with a new iPad mini 5 sometime soon. Most Android phones are obsolete as soon as they are bought, and the clock is quickly ticking down until they need to be replaced with yet another cheap garbage Android phone.

The lifespan of iOS devices are much greater than the lifespans of an Android device. It's like comparing the lifespan of an average human living in 2019 compared to the lifespan of some dude living in the Middle Ages.

iOS devices lead much more productive and happy, meaningful lives. Android devices lead a miserable existence, and face a cruel and hasty death.

Here’s an idea for DED or Neil Cybart over at Above Avalon.  Create a chart showing the number of active iOS devices versus the number of active Android devices over the years.  Android, of course, is a multiple, but not a big multiple.  Maybe 2x, which is interesting to contrast against sales, for which Android is typically at least 4x iPhones.  This chart, contrasting active devices (installed base) against sales volumes, would show the steady increase in percentage of total active smartphones represented by iOS, as these last longer, outweighing the much bigger sales volume of Android. 

Then I’d like to see layered onto this chart the estimated total resale value of each installed base.  I’m betting years ago, with a much smaller iOS installed base, iOS’ installed base total resale value  surpassed the total resale value of the Android installed base.  And never looked back.  

If others truly read the AI comment section, then I would expect someone to tackle this intriguing comparison.  
    What would be your reliable source for determining that so the charts could be assembled.
    The numbers I have seem posted are;

(2017) Google Android  2 billion
               Google services 1 Billion
    (2018) iPhone 900 Million

YMMV

Hmmm... I think he was asking for a "source," but never mind...
    I was. If the underlying data is less than reliable so will be the charts. It all becomes very analyst-like and I know how they're perceived here.
    Presumably, you have some initial sources?
    Not a darn thing I'd deem reliable. If it's not from the horses mouth it's at best an educated guess, and even then many companies make it muddy enough that it doesn't rule out fudging a tad. 
  • Reply 42 of 50
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,309member
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    apple ][ said:
    Android is popular with financially challenged people and Android does well especially in third world countries, for obvious reasons.

I also have a theory for why so many Android devices get sold, besides many of them being dirt cheap. It's simple, they don't last that long and they need to be replaced much more often.

People use iOS devices for many, many years, while they still get the latest updates and their devices function well for a very long time. My mom still has an iPad 2 from 2011 that she uses to FaceTime with and it still works fine, though I might surprise her with a new iPad mini 5 sometime soon. Most Android phones are obsolete as soon as they are bought, and the clock is quickly ticking down until they need to be replaced with yet another cheap garbage Android phone.

The lifespan of iOS devices are much greater than the lifespans of an Android device. It's like comparing the lifespan of an average human living in 2019 compared to the lifespan of some dude living in the Middle Ages.

iOS devices lead much more productive and happy, meaningful lives. Android devices lead a miserable existence, and face a cruel and hasty death.

Here’s an idea for DED or Neil Cybart over at Above Avalon.  Create a chart showing the number of active iOS devices versus the number of active Android devices over the years.  Android, of course, is a multiple, but not a big multiple.  Maybe 2x, which is interesting to contrast against sales, for which Android is typically at least 4x iPhones.  This chart, contrasting active devices (installed base) against sales volumes, would show the steady increase in percentage of total active smartphones represented by iOS, as these last longer, outweighing the much bigger sales volume of Android. 

Then I’d like to see layered onto this chart the estimated total resale value of each installed base.  I’m betting years ago, with a much smaller iOS installed base, iOS’ installed base total resale value  surpassed the total resale value of the Android installed base.  And never looked back.  

If others truly read the AI comment section, then I would expect someone to tackle this intriguing comparison.  
    What would be your reliable source for determining that so the charts could be assembled.

YMMV

I was. If the underlying data is less than reliable so will be the charts. It all becomes very analyst-like and I know how they're perceived here.
    Not a darn thing I'd deem reliable. If it's not from the horses mouth it's at best an educated guess, and even then many companies make it muddy enough that it doesn't rule out fudging a tad. 
    Horace's numbers for iOS users is based on a solid methodology, so it's probably in the ballpark. Apple almost certainly has a fairly accurate number.

I haven't a clue about the size of the Android OS user base, how ever it is dissected.
  • Reply 43 of 50
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    apple ][ said:

YMMV

Horace's numbers for iOS users is based on a solid methodology, so it's probably in the ballpark. Apple almost certainly has a fairly accurate number.

I haven't a clue about the size of the Android OS user base, how ever it is dissected.
    All the analysts have what they consider a solid methodology. Sometimes some of us disagree with that, at the same time others here accept it all as fact. That's why building a chart on what analysts have to say will be ridiculed and dismissed by some.

Far too much doubt about "methodologies", and while you personally consider one of them "in the ballpark" another may say no way and no one can prove any different.  Just argument fodder. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 44 of 50
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    apple ][ said:

YMMV

All the analysts have what they consider a solid methodology. Sometimes some of us disagree with that, at the same time others here accept it all as fact. That's why building a chart on what analysts have to say will be ridiculed and dismissed by some.

Far too much doubt about "methodologies", and while you personally consider one of them "in the ballpark" another may say no way and no one can prove any different.  Just argument fodder. 
    I just found this from that Jan 29 conference call;

"Luca Maestri, Apple’s finance chief, said on the conference call:

Our global active installed base of iPhone continues to grow and has reached an all time high at the end of December. We are disclosing that number now for the first time and it has surpassed 900 million devices, up year over year in each of our five geographic segments, and growing almost 75 million in the last 12 months alone."

edited April 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 50
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    apple ][ said:

YMMV

Our global active installed base of iPhone continues to grow and has reached an all time high at the end of December. We are disclosing that number now for the first time and it has surpassed 900 million devices, up year over year in each of our five geographic segments, and growing almost 75 million in the last 12 months alone."

That's an example of a reliable number. If this "chart" is something you deem important then you should find an equally reliable number for Google Android. That would be something Google would have announced.  Maybe also charting various Android forks separately such as those in China and certain other smartphone lines could possibly be interesting to you as well. Whatever you'd like to put together. 

What would be the purpose of such a chart as that would affect the way you put it together and what you believe the data should be telling us?
    edited April 2019
  • Reply 46 of 50
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,622member
    avon b7 said:

Having correct or simply even contrasting information is key to understanding a discussion.

Yeah, you're so good at providing correct information. How could we possibly begin to pretend to understand what's going on in this forum without your valuable input! 
    Well, if you make an effort to back up what you are saying, people have more to go on. Believe me, far more people read what appears here than post. If you support what you are saying and post links to that support, people appreciate it.

I generally try to not put my foot in it by not making outlandish claims on subjects I don't have info on.

When it comes to opinion no one is right or wrong. As long as you remember to make it clear enough that what you are giving is simply an opinion there is no reason for it to creep up on you later and whack you over the head. People are free to change their opinions too.

No one is perfect though, so as a general rule I don't relish it when people post a howler and rarely rub salt into the wound when it happens. I have been corrected from time to time. I can't remember knowingly insulting anyone either.

I try to give credit where credit is due and not have pre-conceived opinion on things. I haven't posted in the Samsung Fold thread because I prefer to wait and see how things play out over the next few weeks with final production units. Others are just using the news to take a swipe at Samsung. I didn't criticise Apple for failing to deliver AirPower etc.

Basically common sense. Professionally, I prepare people for debates (among other things). That flows over into my posting obviously but I normally post while on public transport and in stops and starts. Often, you don't have time to polish things and the four hour cut off can come before you see something that seemed ok while you were drafting it but is disjointed. I think that happens to most busy people.

But I try to at least provide correct information.

muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 47 of 50
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    apple ][ said:

YMMV

That's an example of a reliable number. If this "chart" is something you deem important then you should find an equally reliable number for Google Android. That would be something Google would have announced.  Maybe also charting various Android forks separately such as those in China and certain other smartphone lines could possibly be interesting to you as well. Whatever you'd like to put together. 

What would be the purpose of such a chart as that would affect the way you put it together and what you believe the data should be telling us?
    Those previous Android OS numbers were sourced from the 2017 Google I/O, so they should be solid to that date. What's happened in the two years since, I haven't any data.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 50

avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

Having correct or simply even contrasting information is key to understanding a discussion.

Yeah, you're so good at providing correct information. How could we possibly begin to pretend to understand what's going on in this forum without your valuable input! 
    Well, if you make an effort to back up what you are saying, people have more to go on. Believe me, far more people read what appears here than post. If you support what you are saying and post links to that support, people appreciate it.

I generally try to not put my foot in it by not making outlandish claims on subjects I don't have info on.

When it comes to opinion no one is right or wrong. As long as you remember to make it clear enough that what you are giving is simply an opinion there is no reason for it to creep up on you later and whack you over the head. People are free to change their opinions too.

No one is perfect though, so as a general rule I don't relish it when people post a howler and rarely rub salt into the wound when it happens. I have been corrected from time to time. I can't remember knowingly insulting anyone either.

I try to give credit where credit is due and not have pre-conceived opinion on things. I haven't posted in the Samsung Fold thread because I prefer to wait and see how things play out over the next few weeks with final production units. Others are just using the news to take a swipe at Samsung. I didn't criticise Apple for failing to deliver AirPower etc.

Basically common sense. Professionally, I prepare people for debates (among other things). That flows over into my posting obviously but I normally post while on public transport and in stops and starts. Often, you don't have time to polish things and the four hour cut off can come before you see something that seemed ok while you were drafting it but is disjointed. I think that happens to most busy people.

Pretty sure that was snark, as in, no you aren't providing correct information.

Me, I think that most of your analysis of Apple is way off the mark, and I provided data to that effect. You obviously ignore any data that doesn't support your various meme's. 

anantksundaramwatto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 50
    guscatguscat Posts: 59member
    avon b7 said:
    flydog said:
    Doesn't make any sense. According to the forums Apple's greed and lack of innovation is killing their sales.
    This article is for US sales only and is an estimation. Also, Apple in the US only has competition from Samsung. There is virtually no competition from Chinese manufacturers.

In that context it makes some sense. However, if you look back over the last few years and see sales flattening out, even in the US, it starts to look like the typical 'peak' centred around Apple's biggest sales period. 

In the rest of the world, price and lack of innovation do in fact seem to be impacting iPhone performance.
    I think price is definitely impacting them though if the Android fanboys were honest price is impacting Samsung a lot more than it's impacting Apple. I don't really see where Samsung or the Chinese manufacturers are meaningfully innovating either. You have a certain amount of stagnation which means people are buying their phones less often. I think the Chinese companies are moving into the middle tier, and that's really hurting Samsung. It will be interesting to see what eventually happens to the Chinese handset makers.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 50
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,622member
    tmay said:

avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

Pretty sure that was snark, as in, no you aren't providing correct information.

Me, I think that most of your analysis of Apple is way off the mark, and I provided data to that effect. You obviously ignore any data that doesn't support your various meme's. 

I feel pretty confident in what I've stated here, especially over the last two years. haven't seen anything that contradicts it. Pretty much everything remains as I stated.

You cannot say the same as you often go out on a limb with absolute affirmations that often extend further than pure opinion. As result you put yourself at the mercy of how things eventually play out.

BTW, snarking isn't my style. I think I'm quite respectful of other people's opinions too. I think you would agree on that. I can be robust in the defence of my opinions but always setting out with the goal of fair play.