Editorial: Super Frenemies - why the world is better off with both Apple and Samsung

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    cornchip said:
    knowitall said:
    In what way is Samsung a customer of Apple?
    First sentence after intro.

Edit:: well sorry abt that.
    No problem!
  • Reply 22 of 25
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    samrod said:
    Nice article DED. But In this epic between Apple and Samsung, I'm surprised you didn't mention Steve's 2002 announcement that Apple will invest $100 M in Samsung Semiconductor to secure display supply. That point marks significant contrast to their current relationship. https://www.cnet.com/news/apple-invests-100-million-in-samsung/
    Apple was going to invest $350 million in a plant with Samsung, that they would both own. Apple backed off after Samsung was convicted of fixing panel prices, as they had done previously, at least twice for memory pricing. So Apple remained a customer rather than entering into business with them.
    AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 25
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    avon b7 said:
    What has Sammy contributed to the world?

Competition is always good. It helps drive innovation and prevent stagnation. It also acts as a price check to a degree. If Apple was alone in an industry it would not be the Apple it is today

Absolute bull*** that has been debunked over the years. Apple doesn't need copycats to invent products. On the other hand.....
    You cannot be serious with that question.

Let's take the technology of 2019 - 5G - as an example.

Samsung is one of the leading 5G SEP owners. Even I know that and I'm way out of the loop on Samsung issues.
    Maybe, but their modems are considered to be inferior.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 25
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    avon b7 said:
    What has Sammy contributed to the world?

Competition is always good. It helps drive innovation and prevent stagnation. It also acts as a price check to a degree. If Apple was alone in an industry it would not be the Apple it is today

Absolute bull*** that has been debunked over the years. Apple doesn't need copycats to invent products. On the other hand.....
    You cannot be serious with that question.

Let's take the technology of 2019 - 5G - as an example.

Samsung is one of the leading 5G SEP owners. Even I know that and I'm way out of the loop on Samsung issues.

You can't be serious with that answer. Nice try though. Your uncle Sammy will always be that knockoff manufacturer.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 25
    p-dogp-dog Posts: 131member
    Excellent article DED!!! One of the best DED articles I ever read, in a long long time!!!
    I must concur. I always enjoy and cite DED's articles, but this one has been my favorite so far. Very insightful.
    watto_cobra