Tim Cook wanted Apple to fight US DOJ in court over encryption

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    steveausteveau Posts: 299member
    What is the "the 'no rails' technology industry"? I'm not a programmer, but I thought that Apple supported Ruby on Rails, or is he referring to something else?
  • Reply 42 of 46
    BxBornBxBorn Posts: 74member
    Whether we want to admit it or not there are appropriate situations where someone's phone should be made available to law enforcement. We see people getting their personal computers seized for evidence, why should a cell phone be any different? Would anyone be pushing on this point of "privacy" if it were a case that involved a child rapist who's phone may have or may not have contained information around other acts committed or future protection of other children? People only have their panties in a bunch because the word "terrorism" was associated to the San Bernardino case and if allowed, the big bad government would be stopping everyone on the street to take and scan their phones to steal our freedom. I honestly don't believe anyone here would be taking the hardline stance that they are if this was human trafficking case and accessing the phone meant saving kidnapped people and prevent future kidnappings...
  • Reply 43 of 46
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,118member
    steveau said:
    What is the "the 'no rails' technology industry"? I'm not a programmer, but I thought that Apple supported Ruby on Rails, or is he referring to something else?
    “We all have to be intellectually honest, and we have to admit that what we’re doing isn’t working,” said Cook, in an interview with former TIME Editor in Chief Nancy Gibbs. “Technology needs to be regulated. There are now too many examples where the no rails have resulted in a great damage to society.”

I think he's using rails as an analogy to regulation.
    steveau
  • Reply 44 of 46
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Johan42 said:
    tzm41 said:
    Cue "Timmy should stay out of politics" comments in 3...2...1
    He should stay out of politics.
    he's an american citizen, he has every right to have and speak his opinions. same as you. 

Soli
  • Reply 45 of 46
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    apple used to have a backdoor into folks phones. and then hackers tried to break it. given the amount of private info we keep on our phones, especially financial,  that's not a good thing. apple got rid of that backdoor to protect that information. the FBI etc has decades of experience investigating crimes without smart phones so this claim that they can't do their jobs without access to our data is a tad thin
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 46 of 46
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    sree said:
    lkrupp said:
    Rule number one. Don’t EVER pick a fight with politicians or the government. If they come after you, fine, fight ‘em but don’t attack them first. But it is slightly hypocritical to want to fight the U.S. but turn then around and cow-tow to China and India.

Just because they are far away from the US, does not mean china and india are the same. It is unfair to club them together.

China is a dictatorship, and india is a democracy with an independent judiciary. Whatever apps have had to be pulled from the indian app store, were pulled because some court directed them to do so. Would you expect apple to keep an app even after a US court orders it to remove it from the app store?
    It's hard to find anyone with a proper political viewpoint but I found one here. Some days it's even hard to find anyone with a brain, but you qualify for that too.