Intel refreshes H-series processor used in 2018 MacBook Pro, still 14nm

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    deminsddeminsd Posts: 143member
    The title of the article is misleading a bit.  I took it to say the H-series CPU in the 2018 Macbook Pro was getting an upgrade (IN a Macbook Pro).  But the way the article reads, there is no news that the Macbook Pro is getting any of the upgrades.  Why even mention the Macbook Pro? Other manufacturers get it, but not Apple?
    pscooter631st
  • Reply 22 of 38
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,315member
    Will be interesting to see if Apple runs with Optane as an option or standard?
  • Reply 23 of 38
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    deminsd said:
    The title of the article is misleading a bit.  I took it to say the H-series CPU in the 2018 Macbook Pro was getting an upgrade (IN a Macbook Pro).  But the way the article reads, there is no news that the Macbook Pro is getting any of the upgrades.  Why even mention the Macbook Pro? Other manufacturers get it, but not Apple?
    You should maybe read the article again, It's pretty clearly spelled out. These are refreshes in the 8th gen H-series lineup that was used in 2018, that *may* appear in a refreshed MBP this year, or maybe they won't.

"refreshed its H-series processor line that was used in the 2018 MacBook Pro"
    "
    making them useful for temperature-constrained notebooks like the MacBook range"
    "
    It is unclear if Apple will adopt some of the processors in the range in its MacBook lineup at this time, but the group seem to be fairly suitable candidates."
    edited April 2019
  • Reply 24 of 38
    deminsddeminsd Posts: 143member
    deminsd said:
    You should maybe read the article again, It's pretty clearly spelled out. These are refreshes in the 8th gen H-series lineup that was used in 2018, that *may* appear in a refreshed MBP this year, or maybe they won't.

"making them useful for temperature-constrained notebooks like the MacBook range"
    "It is unclear if Apple will adopt some of the processors in the range in its MacBook lineup at this time, but the group seem to be fairly suitable candidates."
    I read it just fine, and your points clearing confirm what I said...that the title makes it sound like the Macbook Pro will get CPU upgrades, but it's purely speculation.

They could have just replaced "Macbook" with "Dell" and it would be the same story. 
    edited April 2019
  • Reply 25 of 38
    dt17dt17 Posts: 18member
    tomahawk said:
    DuhSesame said:
    I don't see any point to upgrade until switching to ARM.  In fact, I'd think that 2018 version will be the last one in the current generation.
    Except any location buying Macs because they support Bootcamp might want something newer and available through a transition.  I suspect Apple will loose a chunk of sales if they go all ARM and can't support running Windows (and all Windows programs, not ARM capable only).

That, or the ARM processors need to be able to emulate an Intel processor and near realtime performance for some type of virtual machine solution (aka Connectix Virtual PC on steroids).
    Windows now works on ARM too right?
  • Reply 26 of 38
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member
    Many years ago, my dad had a PC with Xeon processors that loaded photoshop in a split second. I've never seen anything like it on the Mac. Same with the iPad and iPhone. ARM processors have increased in power 100-fold yet WWF takes 15 seconds to load. This is what people see. My late 2013 iMac takes 10 seconds to load Affinity Photo. I'm looking forward to a day when apps load in a split second.
  • Reply 27 of 38
    vukasika said:
    Intel codenamed the new chip “Supernova” given its tendency to thermal throttle down to the speed of an i3 single core in the current slim MacBook Pro form factor... 
    vukasika said:
    vukasika said:
    vukasika said:
    Intel codenamed the new chip “Supernova” given its tendency to thermal throttle down to the speed of an i3 single core in the current slim MacBook Pro form factor... 
    it does absolutely nothing of the sort.
    So I’m the only one in the thread who’s concerned about heat management & thermal throttling issues of an even faster chip in the MacBook Pro as currently designed... LoL O-K
    No, you aren't the only one. However, we've already demonstrated that the existing processor doesn't, and the TDP on the new chips is the same.

We'll test it, the same as we always do. I guarantee that we won't see it drop to the speed of an i3 single-core.
    OmG if you thought the single core i3 comment was serious rather than an exaggeration to make the point of the throttling handicapping performance, you desperately need either a drink or sex, likely both... geez

fastasleeptmay
  • Reply 28 of 38
    lkrupp said:
    vukasika said:
    Horse manure.
    Got any to spare? My Roses could do with some...
  • Reply 29 of 38
    michelb76michelb76 Posts: 618member
    haha only for this time the title is not 'Apple may use Intel H-series processors in new macs'
  • Reply 30 of 38
    deminsd said:
    deminsd said:

"making them useful for temperature-constrained notebooks like the MacBook range"
    "It is unclear if Apple will adopt some of the processors in the range in its MacBook lineup at this time, but the group seem to be fairly suitable candidates."
    I read it just fine, and your points clearing confirm what I said...that the title makes it sound like the Macbook Pro will get CPU upgrades, but it's purely speculation.

They could have just replaced "Macbook" with "Dell" and it would be the same story. 
    This site is full of speculation. Considering the MacBook Pro gets refreshes every year using similar chipsets, it’s not unlikely.
  • Reply 31 of 38

bugsnw said:
    Many years ago, my dad had a PC with Xeon processors that loaded photoshop in a split second. I've never seen anything like it on the Mac. Same with the iPad and iPhone. ARM processors have increased in power 100-fold yet WWF takes 15 seconds to load. This is what people see. My late 2013 iMac takes 10 seconds to load Affinity Photo. I'm looking forward to a day when apps load in a split second.
    Mine do. Got an old hard drive in that iMac by chance? 
  • Reply 32 of 38
    tomahawk said:
    DuhSesame said:
    I don't see any point to upgrade until switching to ARM.  In fact, I'd think that 2018 version will be the last one in the current generation.
    Except any location buying Macs because they support Bootcamp might want something newer and available through a transition.  I suspect Apple will loose a chunk of sales if they go all ARM and can't support running Windows (and all Windows programs, not ARM capable only).

That, or the ARM processors need to be able to emulate an Intel processor and near realtime performance for some type of virtual machine solution (aka Connectix Virtual PC on steroids).
    When Apple ARM Chips are TWICE AS FAST as Intel Chips, then Apple can feasibly use Intel Emulation to run as fast as Intel Chips.
  • Reply 33 of 38
    All I want is a 13" quad-core MacBook Pro. It should be the bottomline for MacBook Pros leaving dual-core for the MacBook and Air. With a T-2 chip for video encoding, I'm fine with the integrated graphics for general multimedia work.
    2018 13" MBPs are i5 Quad Cores.
  • Reply 34 of 38
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    wreighven said:
    All I want is a 13" quad-core MacBook Pro. It should be the bottomline for MacBook Pros leaving dual-core for the MacBook and Air. With a T-2 chip for video encoding, I'm fine with the integrated graphics for general multimedia work.
    Go buy one.  Available now (since the last MBP refresh) on the Apple web site...
    I assume the OP was referring to the non Touch Bar model, you know, the one that Apple decided to leave at full price without a refresh in an attempt to force people to pay for the Touch Bar that they do not want.
  • Reply 35 of 38
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    vukasika said:
    vukasika said:
    vukasika said:
    it does absolutely nothing of the sort.
    So I’m the only one in the thread who’s concerned about heat management & thermal throttling issues of an even faster chip in the MacBook Pro as currently designed... LoL O-K
    No, you aren't the only one. However, we've already demonstrated that the existing processor doesn't, and the TDP on the new chips is the same.

We'll test it, the same as we always do. I guarantee that we won't see it drop to the speed of an i3 single-core.
    OmG if you thought the single core i3 comment was serious rather than an exaggeration to make the point of the throttling handicapping performance, you desperately need either a drink or sex, likely both... geez
    It's probably worth reviewing the commenting guidelines, conveniently linked at the bottom of every forum page.
    chia
  • Reply 36 of 38
    saarek said:
    wreighven said:
    Go buy one.  Available now (since the last MBP refresh) on the Apple web site...
    I assume the OP was referring to the non Touch Bar model, you know, the one that Apple decided to leave at full price without a refresh in an attempt to force people to pay for the Touch Bar that they do not want.
    That one was for the Air market, and was no longer necessary to refresh when they had the actual new Air coming out.
  • Reply 37 of 38
    1st1st Posts: 443member
    did I missed something? Bravo Intel for using 14 nm achieve additional 30% improvement performance and 70% reduction on latency. That means optimization of layout (rather than simulated annealing) and possibly root out any long interconnect and kept thermal in check... hand route or AI? If Intel can do it for the above mentioned performance matrix, why use 10 nm? Testing would be much mature platform and thermal would be much better. The article didn't say if it is the same foot print or not (most of refresh is the same), that will allow PWB layout compatible with prior product, save user of Intel (OEM) a lot of dough. Die shrink, unless the PWB can walk off interconnect effectively, it cause more trouble than good - if it uses same module level foot print. the extra space in the module filled with molding compounds and cause warpage issues (thermoire and reflow profile need to be adjusted to minimize effect due to chip/2nd level packaging material thermal expansion difference, the module will "smile" or "frown" upon reflow at MFG). You use 10 nm, 7nm, 5nm either for get more block into the chip of similar foot print in order to achieve better performance, but if you can use the same platform achieve same without add more block, but possibly reduce them (since they reduce the latency, something is optimized), all the better due to thermal mgr. die shrink is good for device maker to get more chip in wafer - lower cost but add cost by using new infrastructure needed (such as test platform, buildin self test possibly). Die shrink plus package shrink is great for mobile phone - make space for other components, such as 3 cameras and lower voltage (however, leakage is pain), but if you don't need the space, such as laptop, why? Please educate me. Thx in advance for chip gurus on AI.
  • Reply 38 of 38
    2018 13" MBPs are i5 Quad Cores.
    There are still dual-core models and as I said before, I forgot to add into my requirements low power DDR4 ram up to 32GB.