Review: Arlo Ultra is a 4K HomeKit-ready smart home camera with endless features

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    We’re creating a world where you’ll always have to assume you are on camera, being watched, tracked, identified by face scanning software.  At one time this would have been unthinkable, but Big Brother didn’t have to be forced on us by government - we got seduced into it. I feel sad for future generations.
    So we had to invent religion and tell people that an omnipotent deity was watching every move your make to determine how will you spend eternity. Clearly that didn't work to convince humanity to actual in a civil manner so maybe this modern version of fear of punishment will.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 22 of 41
    Hey @ArloTimetraveler, will this improve in the future?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 41
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    Review from actual user: 0 out of 5.
    Absolutely DO NOT BUY.
    On the other hand I use a real Homekit compatible camera and it has problems too, like nowhere in the installation does it say it won't connect with a standard 5 GHz wifi network like the Apple Time Capsule or my ISP's wireless router/modem. These glitches would never happen with an Apple-branded camera. Apple doesn't have a camera, but there is hope, since Apple recently bought a camera company's portfolio: https://forums.appleinsider.com/discussion/209823  
    I think Apple needs a separate little company that produces HomeKit products. Despite launching so many years ago: there is not one decent Switch that is available in every market, and every single HomeKit camera, door bell and door lock is garbage. It's clear Apple have expertise here, but for some reason don't want to get involved on this level even though they would be uniquely capable of providing high quality HomeKit products to the widest number of markets.
    rainmakerGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 41
    Yet another subscription for using a camera is a big NO for me. Alternatively, take a Synology product and link a camera to it. No subscription fees needed. 
  • Reply 25 of 41
    Jaro360Jaro360 Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    "Promised" HomeKit Capabilities that never come to fruition, appear significantly late or require new hardware (hubs) damage the Apple HomeKit reputation and the reputation of any companies tied to these products and broken promises.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 41
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    Soli said:
    sirozha said:
    Two features make this camera a no-go for me: 1. Battery 2. Hub
    A lot of people prefer the battery. I for one. For an outdoor camera, a wire is a non-starter. The hub isn't a huge deal, it also will support Zigbee and Z-Wave soon which will work with other smart home products and replace their hub.

That hub is also what enables a wireless HomeKit camera, something that has so far been impossible.
    Actually for outdoor cameras I much prefer a wire (Power Over Ethernet). Who wants to recharge and eventually deplete batteries for a static use case? Wire once and never have to charge it or replace its depleted battery (and they all get used up, as batteries are a consumable power storage device)...Better and greener. 

Also, the review refers to “endless” and “countless” features, but that’s hyperbole. Can you use a number to give us an idea of how many features we’re talking about? A dozen? Dozens? More?
    It's quite seamless and very easy to recharge those batteries. Mind can go months between charges and plugging in micro-USB does the trick in short order. If, say your system was outdoors on your properly a decent distance from your home PoE would be even more of an issue. You could use their setup to have a battery back up connected, or a solar panel to charge it during the day. I've been very impressed with their HW, SW, features, usability, and power efficiency.
    I can’t speak to remote setups away from the home, but being a home security camera I’d argue PoE is less of an issue, and that a wired system that doesn’t require recharging, or replacement of used-up consumables (as all batteries are) is more convenient, greener, and cheaper. 
  • Reply 27 of 41
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    We Don't Need No Stinkin' Hubs!

If it doesn't attach directly to Homekit (even via AppleTV, Homepod or iPad), I will not consider it.   It not only adds complexity but generates competing, incompatible systems within the home but, perhaps most importantly, the hub is a major point of spying by the OEM.

When I make upgrades to my home -- particularly door locks and cameras -- security is my biggest concern.   And, to me, a hub destroys that security.

Recently I bought a pair of LifeX spot lights for my grandson to use in his gaming room.   You simply screw them into the socket and tap the "+" sign to add them to Homekit on his iPhone.  After a couple simple steps to set them up he controls their color and brightness through either his iPhone or his Apple Watch.   What could possible be better, simpler, or more secure?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 41
    Absolutely DO NOT BUY.
    On the other hand I use a real Homekit compatible camera and it has problems too, like nowhere in the installation does it say it won't connect with a standard 5 GHz wifi network like the Apple Time Capsule or my ISP's wireless router/modem. These glitches would never happen with an Apple-branded camera. Apple doesn't have a camera, but there is hope, since Apple recently bought a camera company's portfolio: https://forums.appleinsider.com/discussion/209823  
    Ummm!  Interesting!
    I thought most routers supported both 2.4 and 5.0 protocols  -- particularly since 2.4 gives wider coverage (at lower speeds). 
  • Reply 29 of 41
    Andrew_OSUAndrew_OSU Posts: 573member, editor
    Thanks for this product summary, Andrew. I have some HomeKit compatible cameras in and out of my house already. Some of this product's features are new/better but some are the same as my existing cameras. But I can't believe that the issue of privacy and security of the transmitted and stored images isn't even mentioned in this video. Are AI readers indifferent to their video data's security? And yet AI readers need to be told several times that this product has 12x digital zoom? This review sounds more like a review for CNN or FOX than for AI. My purchase and usage decisions are based partly on privacy and security issues. Which website should I go visit to get that sort of information?
    It isn't that it isn't extremely important, there just isn't a lot to say on the matter. Arlo uses all the standard security practices in securing your video. TLS and AES-128 bit encryption and account details over HTTPS are also used. Anyone who is using a security camera and cloud storage has to be ok with their information being stored on external servers, or they will have to manage their own storage but that comes with the issues of locally storing your footage which could get stolen/destroyed.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 41
    We’re creating a world where you’ll always have to assume you are on camera, being watched, tracked, identified by face scanning software.  At one time this would have been unthinkable, but Big Brother didn’t have to be forced on us by government - we got seduced into it. I feel sad for future generations.
    I understand your point.
    I witnessed the flip side though when I spent time at the Pittsburgh emergency 911 hub right about the time Pittsburgh was hosting the G20 summit.  Security was at a maximum for the important summit and for the world leaders attending -- while protesters were coming in from out of town to disrupt it.    What they needed but did not have adequate amounts of was visibility into what was going on:   For instance being able to see what happening on the bridges leading into the center of town.

Camera attached to that hub could have increased their ability to monitor conditions and respond in more efficient and effective ways to any issues or trouble.

Fortunately all went well and the cameras were not needed.
    But interestingly, the federal security forces who were involved rated Pittsburgh as one of the nation's most secure cities for that kind of thing because they, for the most part, could shut off access in and out of the city simply by shutting down a few bridges.
  • Reply 31 of 41

• App is slow and finding useful footage is an exercise in your time and patience. You will have to rewatch the footage at 1x, since skipping doesn't work
    • The cloud service is slow, you'll be waiting for your videos to load every single time.
    • The App maker seems to be unaware of the app-switching bar on iOS, you're just as likely to switch apps as you attempt to scrub footage.
    • The web version of the viewer still runs on flash (seriously) and will not work unless always on the latest version.
    • The detection features are absolutely crud, you'll likely get 3 seconds after the action has begun, a break and then the perpetrator moving away. (Even when on the highest sensitivity with the longest recording options available.)
    • The camera will randomly drop out, I've got 4 it's a game of which one is offline today.
    • Battery life is crap unless you directly connect to AC, in which case the device will randomly reject the AC charger - and it's no longer approved for outdoor use (because it's not water tight and will rust the contacts - This applies to the prior pro models.)
    • The solar panel battery charger is expensive garbage, you'll still be changing batteries regularly unless you live in the Sahara.

Absolutely DO NOT BUY.

I'm also an actual user, I've had this for about a month or so as well as 5 other different brands of security cameras in and outside for much longer. I've experienced almost none of these issues.

Finding footage is not particularly difficult. It breaks it down by day, then clips throughout the day. They can also be filtered by type of motion (person, animal, vehicle, etc).
    I haven't seen the cloud service to be particularly slow. There is some loading, but it is on par with what I get from Ring, Circle 2, and others.
    I'll admit I haven't used the web viewer, it just isn't something I need.
    I just checked about a dozen person-specific clips and I see no issues with it skipping around. I see a person entering the frame, doing stuff, and leaving. No cutting or jumping whatsoever. Maybe it is your placement?
    I have yet to have my camera drop out even once.
    Battery life has been fine for me and it doesn't take long to charge. Only a couple hours. Far less than my Ring battery. You can also just grab a second battery and swap them whenever it does die. That is a quick solution.

In short, not sure why you are having such a bad experience. I've really enjoyed this camera and plan on adding a couple more to the setup.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 41
    Yet another subscription for using a camera is a big NO for me. Alternatively, take a Synology product and link a camera to it. No subscription fees needed. 
    Still local storage which can stolen/destroyed during a break in or fire. Personally, I prefer having my stuff stored offsite. I can also set that up with my Synology drive but I still am paying for something and that would require me to do all the work. The subscription is also more than just the cloud storage. If you dont want cloud storage, just use the micro SD slot on the SmartHub, but you also lose out on e911, person identification, etc which are all done using the cloud-based AI.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 41
    NotsofastNotsofast Posts: 450member

• App is slow and finding useful footage is an exercise in your time and patience. You will have to rewatch the footage at 1x, since skipping doesn't work
    • The cloud service is slow, you'll be waiting for your videos to load every single time.
    • The App maker seems to be unaware of the app-switching bar on iOS, you're just as likely to switch apps as you attempt to scrub footage.
    • The web version of the viewer still runs on flash (seriously) and will not work unless always on the latest version.
    • The detection features are absolutely crud, you'll likely get 3 seconds after the action has begun, a break and then the perpetrator moving away. (Even when on the highest sensitivity with the longest recording options available.)
    • The camera will randomly drop out, I've got 4 it's a game of which one is offline today.
    • Battery life is crap unless you directly connect to AC, in which case the device will randomly reject the AC charger - and it's no longer approved for outdoor use (because it's not water tight and will rust the contacts - This applies to the prior pro models.)
    • The solar panel battery charger is expensive garbage, you'll still be changing batteries regularly unless you live in the Sahara.

Absolutely DO NOT BUY.

How did none of this get in the review???  These seem like basic things that should have been readily apparent, e.g., no skipping when you need to review footage, and problem with detection features??  And, as others have mentioned, how can there be no discussion of accessing data and privacy/security??  Inquiring minds would like to know.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 41
    Notsofast said:

Absolutely DO NOT BUY.

How did none of this get in the review???  These seem like basic things that should have been readily apparent, e.g., no skipping when you need to review footage, and problem with detection features??  And, as others have mentioned, how can there be no discussion of accessing data and privacy/security??  Inquiring minds would like to know.
    If there's something not covered, that is what this discussion is for. I already touched on security but it is all industry standard, nothing new here with the Arlo Ultra compared to the rest of the Arlo line. Full 128-bit AES encryption and TLS used for streaming video and HTTPS for account security.

The reason this particular list didn't get included in the review is because it is rubbish. I've been using this camera for weeks and I've had almost none of the issues put forth here. I explained it in more detail above, but needless to say we are having vastly different experiences. I'll be picking up another one of these for sure for the other side of my house.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 41
    Hey @ArloTimetraveler, will this improve in the future?

@bestkeptsecre, I want to tell you, but I can't screw with the timeline. Last time I did, selfies became a thing and millennials began to think avocado toast is special. 
    edited April 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 41
    MoggXMoggX Posts: 1member
    Hmmm, I bought a new house and like to decide on an eco system to build around.  Nest vs Ring vs HomeKit.

Two things I don't like on the Arlo:
    -Needing its own hub.  Especially I am looking to implement an Eero mesh system (1 base + 2 beacon setup) which only has one available ethernet port that this would take.  Sounds like you are forced to use the hub effectively ignores the mesh network while having multiple cameras spread around my property connecting to one central device.  It would concern me that there can be wifi interference causing connectivity issues.

-Wireless recording.  How long are the clip recordings?  I know Ring only does 30 seconds which is not enough for many instances.  Also are the recording lengths configurable?  eg, 30 seconds - 5 minutes?  

I want homekit to work, but I don't feel it's complete enough to meet my home automation needs yet.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 41
    Really basic question - I couldn’t see the answer in the review. 

Is the camera suitable for mounting outdoors? Is it fully weatherproof?  If so can I wire it for permanent power? The review talks about a magnetic charger cable but it’s not clear how that would work outdoors. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 41
    MoggX said:
    Hmmm, I bought a new house and like to decide on an eco system to build around.  Nest vs Ring vs HomeKit.

Two things I don't like on the Arlo:
    -Needing its own hub.  Especially I am looking to implement an Eero mesh system (1 base + 2 beacon setup) which only has one available ethernet port that this would take.  Sounds like you are forced to use the hub effectively ignores the mesh network while having multiple cameras spread around my property connecting to one central device.  It would concern me that there can be wifi interference causing connectivity issues.

-Wireless recording.  How long are the clip recordings?  I know Ring only does 30 seconds which is not enough for many instances.  Also are the recording lengths configurable?  eg, 30 seconds - 5 minutes?  

I want homekit to work, but I don't feel it's complete enough to meet my home automation needs yet.
    Yes, that's been my thought --- that Apple started out good, but then kind of lost interest and focus.
    But, on the other hand, I just installed a pair of LifeX bulbs for my grandson which are setup and controlled strictly through Homekit -- and that worked well.  Very well.  

But, perhaps for other things like cameras it may not function as well.
    But, for me, for smart home things, its Apple or nothing.   I do not trust anybody else with my privacy and security.   I know Apple isn't bullet proof, but they put it at the top of their list.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 41
    uktechie said:
    Really basic question - I couldn’t see the answer in the review. 

Is the camera suitable for mounting outdoors? Is it fully weatherproof?  If so can I wire it for permanent power? The review talks about a magnetic charger cable but it’s not clear how that would work outdoors. 

Yes! Arlo actually sells an outdoor power cable (and a solar charger for that matter) so that it can be fully wired at all times outdoors and the cable is quite long.
    watto_cobrauktechie
  • Reply 40 of 41
    boosting1barboosting1bar Posts: 1unconfirmed, member

Absolutely DO NOT BUY.

I'm also an actual user, I've had this for about a month or so as well as 5 other different brands of security cameras in and outside for much longer. I've experienced almost none of these issues.

Finding footage is not particularly difficult. It breaks it down by day, then clips throughout the day. They can also be filtered by type of motion (person, animal, vehicle, etc).
    I haven't seen the cloud service to be particularly slow. There is some loading, but it is on par with what I get from Ring, Circle 2, and others.
    I'll admit I haven't used the web viewer, it just isn't something I need.
    I just checked about a dozen person-specific clips and I see no issues with it skipping around. I see a person entering the frame, doing stuff, and leaving. No cutting or jumping whatsoever. Maybe it is your placement?
    I have yet to have my camera drop out even once.
    Battery life has been fine for me and it doesn't take long to charge. Only a couple hours. Far less than my Ring battery. You can also just grab a second battery and swap them whenever it does die. That is a quick solution.

In short, not sure why you are having such a bad experience. I've really enjoyed this camera and plan on adding a couple more to the setup.
    I’ll add another 0 out of 5 DO NOT BUY recommendation from someone who has been (sort of) using these things since release day. I have many of the same issues as EsquireCats....when my cameras even work. For over a month now they can be accessed and viewed locally in live view but no recording is possible and no alerts or alarms trigger auto recording. There are numerous reports of this same scenario on the Arlo support forums and there is no fix that consistently works for everyone and for many, myself included, no fix has worked. Firmware updates, multiple factory resets and re-setups, uninstalling/reinstalling the app. Basically all they’re good for at this point is if I’m too afraid to look at my door to see who’s coming in to kill me I can pop the live view up and look at it. Unfortunately they’ll probably get away with my murder since there won’t be any video evidence. 

As as others have said this certainly reads as a paid shill review. I hope you really are having as nice an experience as you claim but you’ll have to forgive the rest of us who own these that are skeptical. Probably the only thing we agree on is the battery life is quite good (although mine may be much less if they actually recorded) and the image quality is quite nice.  Long story short, never shoulda sold my Nest Cams.