Everything you need to know about 5G on your iPhone 12

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 54
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    dewme said:
    I generally try to upgrade my iPhone every 3-4 years, so each new upgrade represents a significant across-the-board improvement in several functional aspects of the phone, from cameras to performance to storage capacity. If I was at a refresh point this year, which I am not, I would upgrade based on the total package the iPhone 12 series has to offer. Having 5G capability would be low on the list for this year, definitely not a go/no-go purchase decision point. Who knows, maybe Apple will do something with the dual-SIM capability of some iPhones to provide channel bonding so even 4G/LTE devices would be faster now and even faster with 5G availability. 

Unless you live outside the U.S. it's not about buying it for THIS year, but for the future.

Rather, it's that few knowledgeable people would want to invest in a high end phone knowing that it's communications tech was already dated.  Apple kind of had to come up with a 5G phone to just to maintain its position.
    avon b7
  • Reply 42 of 54
    razorpit said:
    hodar said:
    Unfortunately the 23.6 to 24 GHz bandwidth are winning over public safety.  Frequencies in the 23.6 to 24 GHz spectrum are reflective to water vapor, and are used by Weather RADAR systems to track, monitor and forecast severe weather, around the world.  Because of the "need" for faster bandwidth, the 5G bands will degrade our ability to track storms (thunderstorms, Tropical Storms, Hurricanes, Blizzards, etc) as well as predict their severity, direction and likely 2-3 day tracks.

You know, I can, and am willing to wait a few seconds; so that I can be better informed of severe weather, where it's going, and when it's going to hit.

Apparently, the FCC feels that money is more important than human lives.

And if the FCC a wasn’t pushing for 5G then the story would be “Orange man doesn’t want anyone having fast internet, der der der.” 

He obviously doesn't.  Or doesn't care.   He banned the lowest cost, highest quality provider for, excuse the expression, "Trumped Up", fact free, excuses.
  • Reply 43 of 54
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    razorpit said:
    hodar said:
    Unfortunately the 23.6 to 24 GHz bandwidth are winning over public safety.  Frequencies in the 23.6 to 24 GHz spectrum are reflective to water vapor, and are used by Weather RADAR systems to track, monitor and forecast severe weather, around the world.  Because of the "need" for faster bandwidth, the 5G bands will degrade our ability to track storms (thunderstorms, Tropical Storms, Hurricanes, Blizzards, etc) as well as predict their severity, direction and likely 2-3 day tracks.

You know, I can, and am willing to wait a few seconds; so that I can be better informed of severe weather, where it's going, and when it's going to hit.

And if the FCC a wasn’t pushing for 5G then the story would be “Orange man doesn’t want anyone having fast internet, der der der.” 

He obviously doesn't.  Or doesn't care.   He banned the lowest cost, highest quality provider for, excuse the expression, "Trumped Up", fact free, excuses.
    You forgot, widest back door.  :D
  • Reply 44 of 54
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,658member
    dewme said:
    I generally try to upgrade my iPhone every 3-4 years, so each new upgrade represents a significant across-the-board improvement in several functional aspects of the phone, from cameras to performance to storage capacity. If I was at a refresh point this year, which I am not, I would upgrade based on the total package the iPhone 12 series has to offer. Having 5G capability would be low on the list for this year, definitely not a go/no-go purchase decision point. Who knows, maybe Apple will do something with the dual-SIM capability of some iPhones to provide channel bonding so even 4G/LTE devices would be faster now and even faster with 5G availability. 

Unless you live outside the U.S. it's not about buying it for THIS year, but for the future.

Rather, it's that few knowledgeable people would want to invest in a high end phone knowing that it's communications tech was already dated.  Apple kind of had to come up with a 5G phone to just to maintain its position.
    It’s all about timing and specifically where you are in your self imposed replacement cycle versus the anticipated availability of 5G infrastructure where you use your phone. 

I’m halfway through my replacement cycle and planning to replace my phone in 2 years, which will hopefully be around the time that 5G will be generally more available and useful. I also anticipate that the overall feature set of the iPhone 14 or whatever it’s called will be significantly improved over what we’ll see tomorrow. Would I upgrade early just to get 5G sooner? Nope. 

Yes, Apple had to go to 5G to check the box against the competition this year. But in reality, having 5G available for home will be a bigger benefit than having it on my phone, at least based on current app and data requirements. I suspect that in 2-3 years some of the promised benefits of 5G will start to roll out as the infrastructure gets built out. 
  • Reply 45 of 54
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,688member
    Will iOS have a way to disable the 5G antenna if we don't want to use it because we don't trust it?
    Why would you NOT trust a feature which is enabled by Apple? What is the issue that are you foreseeing - is it health related? Or reliable connectivity?
    Why would you NOT answer my question? Is it because you don't know the answer? if you answer my question, I'll answer yours.
  • Reply 46 of 54
    Will iOS have a way to disable the 5G antenna if we don't want to use it because we don't trust it?
    Why would you NOT trust a feature which is enabled by Apple? What is the issue that are you foreseeing - is it health related? Or reliable connectivity?
    Why would you NOT answer my question? Is it because you don't know the answer? if you answer my question, I'll answer yours.

Yup, I don't know the answer to your question. And I believe no one in this forum can provide an answer with 100% certainty. So we are left with only guessing game until Apple makes the announcement.

Will iOS have feature to disable 5G? - Most likely "No". My guess would be that Apple would be selling 4G models and 5G models separately depending on the regions. With 5G components costing extra to make/license, there is no reason to believe Apple would be spending efforts in disabling the core technology in that model which costs extra. Rather, Apple would provide an option without the said hardware feature (in this case 5G) at a lower cost.

I expect the 4G model to launch in my country (India) with 5G rollout nowhere near "beginning". US will most likely get the 5G version and I doubt the 4G only version would launch in US. And iOS would automatically handle the switching between 5G and 4G depending on availability, so i doubt Apple would include a feature which is not needed (in Apple's perspective from a technology standpoint). Again, this is all my guess.

• Reply 47 of 54
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,962member
    razorpit said:
    razorpit said:
    hodar said:

You mean wider than Cisco's?  :#  :D
    edited October 2020 GeorgeBMacrazorpit
  • Reply 48 of 54
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,688member

Yup, I don't know the answer to your question. And I believe no one in this forum can provide an answer with 100% certainty. So we are left with only guessing game until Apple makes the announcement.

Will iOS have feature to disable 5G? - Most likely "No". My guess would be that Apple would be selling 4G models and 5G models separately depending on the regions. With 5G components costing extra to make/license, there is no reason to believe Apple would be spending efforts in disabling the core technology in that model which costs extra. Rather, Apple would provide an option without the said hardware feature (in this case 5G) at a lower cost.

I expect the 4G model to launch in my country (India) with 5G rollout nowhere near "beginning". US will most likely get the 5G version and I doubt the 4G only version would launch in US. And iOS would automatically handle the switching between 5G and 4G depending on availability, so i doubt Apple would include a feature which is not needed (in Apple's perspective from a technology standpoint). Again, this is all my guess.

I was expecting you to get angry but I was wrong. You were very gentle and kind in your response. I said I would answer your question, and I will. But if there's one thing I've learned in life, whenever anyone asks me a questions starting with "Why...", there's always more than one reason. Always. I'm not sure which reason I should give you. One reason is that some people earlier in this thread expressed health concerns with 5G. (I still cringe when I stand with my face in front of the window of my microwave, wondering if my eyeballs will burst.) Another reason is that I wanted to placate those people with health concerns by telling them they could just turn off the 5G. Another reason is that I wanted to be able to measure performance of 5G vs LTE in my city. Another reason was just to ask an insightful question (for the sake of my ego). Which reason is the real reason I asked? I have no idea. Does it matter? Not really. In any case, it's a fair question to ask, and others will ask it eventually.

But my iPhone 11 allows me to disable many hardware features: Bluetooth, Wifi, Cellular data, etc. It's entirely reasonable to think Apple might allow us to disable 5G, especially since 5G is expected to have reliability issues and some people might just want to have a reliable phone rather than a fast phone.

Another possible solution is to purchase a "4G LTE ONLY" carrier plan. That would probably disable the 5G antenna. But I'm kinda expecting all cell plans to include 4G and 5G combined going forward. There's another great question to ponder, wether that will be true or not. -- P.S. I'm not in the US, I'm in Canada, which means we tend to get rollouts at the same time as the US, but not always.
  • Reply 49 of 54
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,453member
    razorpit said:
    hodar said:

LOL!

He banned the lowest cost, highest quality provider for, excuse the expression  "Trumped Up", fact free, excuses.

For the record, Huawei's mercantilist policies. and the PRC are responsible for Huawei's headwinds, but sure, give Trump all the credit, when that should go to the Australians, who were first to ban Huawei.

But thanks so much for siding with the PRC, yet again!

How bold of you.
    razorpit
  • Reply 50 of 54
    razorpit said:
    razorpit said:
    hodar said:

IF you choose to believe the world's biggest liar.    When asked for evidence of his allegations Trump has yet to produce even a shred.

• Reply 51 of 54
    tmay said:
    razorpit said:
    hodar said:

LOL!

He banned the lowest cost, highest quality provider for, excuse the expression  "Trumped Up", fact free, excuses.

For the record, Huawei's mercantilist policies. and the PRC are responsible for Huawei's headwinds, but sure, give Trump all the credit, when that should go to the Australians, who were first to ban Huawei.

How bold of you.

Siding with the PRC?   No,  I side with truth and honesty.
    Why would you side with the man of 20,000+ lies?   The man his own lawyer has labelled a "fraud, bigot, bully and a liar"  -- something not even his family, friends and allies deny!    A desperate man who can only win by tearing things and people down using his best weapon, lies, to make them appear to be even more deplorable than he is? 
  • Reply 52 of 54
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    razorpit said:
    razorpit said:
    hodar said:

IF you choose to believe the world's biggest liar.    When asked for evidence of his allegations Trump has yet to produce even a shred.

LOL, “even a shred”, you completely bought in to Rules for Radicals.
    tmay said:
    razorpit said:
    hodar said:

LOL!

How bold of you.

Why would you side with the man of 20,000+ lies?   The man his own lawyer has labelled a "fraud, bigot, bully and a liar"  -- something not even his family, friends and allies deny!    A desperate man who can only win by tearing things and people down using his best weapon, lies, to make them appear to be even more deplorable than he is? 
    You talking about the lawyer he dropped and was in jail for criminal charge of extortion and two criminal charges of wire fraud relating to his scheme to extort $25 million in hush money payments from the Nike Corporation? And also other charges that he defrauded past clients out of millions of dollars. Who was expected to release a ton of dirt on the president but never could. The guy CNN and MSNBC picked to be our next president after defeating Trump in the next election. The guy who was released from jail for COVID, required to surrender to authorities and return to the jail at the end of 90 days, but hasn’t yet? And not only did not return, but also voided the terms of his release?

You were kind of vague on who you were referring to. Wanted to make sure we were talking about the same guy. Is it that him?
    edited October 2020 gatorguy
  • Reply 53 of 54
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,962member
    In theory Apple will be using an on SoC Qualcomm modem for all the Gs (as opposed to a separate modem for 4G and older.)

You might get the option to selectively switch off 5G. On some Android phones you can select which G you prefer (from the SIM card settings) or leave it on 'auto' (which is the default). 

The handset will also be packed with antennas and many of them will be used for 5G.

The Huawei Mate 30 Pro from last year has 21 antennas in total but 14 of them are for 5G.

Those 21 include GPS, WiFi, NFC, Bluetooth etc. so I would think that you won't get direct control over 5G antennas but expect their use to be managed efficiently anyway. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 54 of 54
    razorpit said:
    razorpit said:
    razorpit said:
    hodar said:

LOL, “even a shred”, you completely bought in to Rules for Radicals.
    tmay said:
    razorpit said:
    hodar said:

LOL!

How bold of you.

You talking about the lawyer he dropped and was in jail for criminal charge of extortion and two criminal charges of wire fraud relating to his scheme to extort $25 million in hush money payments from the Nike Corporation? And also other charges that he defrauded past clients out of millions of dollars. Who was expected to release a ton of dirt on the president but never could. The guy CNN and MSNBC picked to be our next president after defeating Trump in the next election. The guy who was released from jail for COVID, required to surrender to authorities and return to the jail at the end of 90 days, but hasn’t yet? And not only did not return, but also voided the terms of his release?

You were kind of vague on who you were referring to. Wanted to make sure we were talking about the same guy. Is it that him?

LOL....  So, truth, reality and evidence are now the "Rules for Radicals"?    If so, call me a radical.   At least its better than a fool.

As for Cohen, just as for many/most Trump associates yes, he wasn't bound by law or ethics -- just like his boss.  he admitted as much.    The difference is that Cohen reformed while his former boss is still breaking laws and flaunting ethics.   And yeh, you Trumpers stay true to form:   when somebody speaks truth of your leader and exposes his corruption you attack the messenger....   So predictable.