AirUnleashed is a three-device Qi charging pad with Apple Watch compatibility

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    notwichrednotwichred Posts: 68member
    After being burned by dropping £100 on a Zens charger with Apple Watch after a glowing review on here, only to find it didn’t work and the company demanding I pay to ship it back internationally, I’m not going to trust this site on reviews again :( in that case it wouldn’t charge the AirPods case and was a “known fault”.

• Reply 22 of 28

Gerard here, co-founder of AirUnleashed.

To answer a few questions; AirUnleashed is not (yet) Qi-certified, it’s Qi-compatible and we are working on getting it certified. The charging cord is attached to the charging mat and has a standard USB Type A connector.

We look forward to AI’s review of the AirUnleashed!

watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 28
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    *smh*  When the renders don't even match the other photos supplied.
    It's a bit disingenuous for the manufacturer to suggest that their product delivers what Apple originally promised. Especially when other similar products have been available since shortly after apple showed AirPower.
  • Reply 24 of 28
    LatkoLatko Posts: 398member
    citpeks said:
    Is this thing even Qi Certified?
    No, and to be fair, they don't claim that it is, at least according to their site.  It's AI that is making that claim.

To be Qi-certified, the manufacturer has to be a WPC member, have its product tested by an accredited facility, and it would appear in the WPC product registry linked above.  Unless all of this is being done under their ODM's shingle, then one must assume that the AirUnleashed is not certified.

Other than an attempt to mimic the appearance of AirPower, there is little to distinguish this thing from any other multi-coil pad, many of which are better value propositions ($99 without an adapter?  And no certification at that price point?).

It wouldn't be unfair to characterize this as an attempt to capitalize on the failure of the AirPower, and lure the gullible and indiscriminate into believing it's almost the same thing.  It does not "deliver what Apple originally promised" and "radically simplifying it" means that it lacks what would have distinguished AirPower from every other wireless charger, making it no more than an AirPower lookalike with a high price tag.

Whatever it is (/pricewise), it can’t be inferior than a void. 
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 25 of 28
    Is this thing even Qi Certified?
    My guess is yes because it isn't anything remarkable at all...just like the entire Qi standard. Whoever came up with the current state of wireless charging was a total dunce.

No one, including Apple, is ever going to be able to achieve the level of ambitious innovation that Apple was going for with AirPower while staying within the pitiful Qi standard. 

Qi is like a proof of concept...that somehow managed to simply stop, and then become a standard.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 28
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,886member

Gerard here, co-founder of AirUnleashed.

To answer a few questions; AirUnleashed is not (yet) Qi-certified, it’s Qi-compatible and we are working on getting it certified. The charging cord is attached to the charging mat and has a standard USB Type A connector.

Is this not a real product photo then (from your home page)? This does not look like an attached cord and very much looks like a plug:

Attached is a bummer. Pets, wrapping in travel bags, etc...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 28
    I am more concerned that this product is not MFi approved. Embedding a charging coil for the Apple Watch does not meet MFi standards...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 28
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    chasm said:
    Having an Apple Watch charger included in the mat is a great touch. Looking forward to your review!

For the life of me I don’t know why Apple didn’t just scale back the AirPower to be something more like this. Sure, it would have been a technology breakthrough to have it so that you could place anything anywhere, but an Apple-quality version of AirUnleashed would likely have been priced around the same, and more than done the job.
    Because then it would be just like everyone else's? I don't think Apple was releasing something for the sake of releasing it when everyone else can do it too. Doing what Apple wanted to do was going to be very hard for others to duplicate (not impossible but harder than making a regular charging mat). 
    watto_cobra