Microsoft teases Chromium-based Edge browser for macOS

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    apple ][ said:
    I hope that Safari gets a dark mode which will work on all webpages.

I'm on dark mode on Mojave right now, but take this site for example.

I'm using Safari right now, but the background of the forum page is white. I should be able to override that and turn this page into dark mode, to blend in with my overall dark mode which I'm using on Movaje. I saw that there is some sort of third party paid app which claims to do this on the App Store, but it should be built into Safari.
    Safari supports dark mode media queries in CSS. It’s the site that needs to provide that code though, you can’t automate that in any reasonable way and have it look good in most cases. You can’t just switch the background color.
    I see. I'm not a web developer, so I don't know anything about coding or web design.

This is one site that should definitely support Dark Mode though, seeing as it is an Apple related site.

I like sites where I can choose between light and dark, offering people a choice. Dark mode forums look much better to me, but that's a personal opinion and preference of course.

Now that Mojave has been out for a while, I wonder what the stats are between users using light vs dark? I don't think that Apple has ever released those stats, but it would be interesting to see, just out of curiosity.

My money is on dark mode winning, but that's just a guess from me.
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 22 of 30
    djames4242djames4242 Posts: 651member
    chasm said:

2. Edge doesn't have a low share on Windows because its a bad browser -- it's not. It's not the finest browser in the world, either. It falls very squarely in the middle. The reason it has a low share is because towards the end of IE quite some years ago, every Windows fanboy/tech was recommending anything but IE because IE was horrible, and that advice was taken. People like FF and (stupidly) Chrome, so Edge -- despite being pretty similar -- has been ignored.

4. If you are on a site that says it's best compatible with IE, run the other way. They either haven't updated it in a decade, or it's a warren of malware (or both).
    I have to disagree wholeheartedly on your second point. When I “upgraded” my Windows 7 VM to Windows 10, I tried out Edge. And as a sometime web developer, I have to ensure my sites work on everything. Edge is awful. Using it is, to me, akin to using notepad as a text editor. Yes it works, but it feels very stripped down. Even IE offers a better user experience.

As for your fourth point, on that I wholeheartedly agree. These days you have to work pretty hard to find ways to make your site work best on IE. Microsoft finally embraced web standards, making life so much easier for front-end development and using IE-specific features takes effort.
    sebrauf
  • Reply 23 of 30
    lowededwookielowededwookie Posts: 1,143member
    Actually there is one feature of Edge I'd like to see come to the Mac version and iOS versions or even come to Safari and that's site markup. I once thought it was a stupid feature until I tried it on a study site I use and it was so helpful. It would be really cool to use this feature on the Mac but I doubt that I'd ever use it as my default browser, I just trust Safari too much for that.  :)
  • Reply 24 of 30
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    apple ][ said:

I'm using Safari right now, but the background of the forum page is white. I should be able to override that and turn this page into dark mode, to blend in with my overall dark mode which I'm using on Movaje. I saw that there is some sort of third party paid app which claims to do this on the App Store, but it should be built into Safari.
    Not going to happen. This is the manipulation of intended by owner of the page formatting. Apple is not going to “fix” visuals on internet. 

But you can use extension called Dark Reader. 
    I have been using it for over a year. You get your pages in the “night mode”. You are welcome. ;)
  • Reply 25 of 30
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    apple ][ said:
    apple ][ said:

Safari supports dark mode media queries in CSS. It’s the site that needs to provide that code though, you can’t automate that in any reasonable way and have it look good in most cases. You can’t just switch the background color.
    I see. I'm not a web developer, so I don't know anything about coding or web design.

This is one site that should definitely support Dark Mode though, seeing as it is an Apple related site.

I like sites where I can choose between light and dark, offering people a choice. Dark mode forums look much better to me, but that's a personal opinion and preference of course.

Now that Mojave has been out for a while, I wonder what the stats are between users using light vs dark? I don't think that Apple has ever released those stats, but it would be interesting to see, just out of curiosity.

My money is on dark mode winning, but that's just a guess from me.
    I am a web developer, so just chiming in.

This site will make a Dark Mode CSS file around the time they make the forums work well with iOS text editing, macOS push notifications, etc. Your best bet is to advocate for an "inverse mode" like we have on iOS for Safari from Apple under the Accessibility options.

I'm starting to learn that Accessibility might be the best place for a lot of the requests we see from the forum dwellers. Mouse control, for example. Nobody else will even know it's there.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 629member
    Next thing you know they will getting into phones.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    chasm said:
    Some misconceptions:

1. Chromium isn't Chrome. It's the core of Chrome with the Google spyware taken out.

2. Edge doesn't have a low share on Windows because its a bad browser -- it's not.... and isn't disguised spyware like Chrome. 
    Here's another misconception you yourself may have:
    Google Chrome is considered far more secure than Edge, and equally capable of protecting user privacy (or not LOL) 

Don't mistake Edge for being the same as Chromium. It may use it for the underpinnings much like other browsers including Google Chrome (afterall it's a Google open-source project), but MS has still built their own Microsoft-benefitting version on top of it. Yes it collects user data if you read the EULA, and still lacks some of the controls that privacy conscious users might want to toggle on. Is it "spyware"? Probably not anymore than Google Chrome is, at least IMO. For both there's privacy controls, and at least with Google they are substantial altho all restrictions on data do have some effects on the value of user-facing services. Keep that in mind. 

Kudos for your mention of Brave tho. Note too that you could use the open-source ready to use Chromium browser itself if you don't mind the rough edges but still like what it offers in the way of features and security. 

https://www.expressvpn.com/blog/best-browsers-for-privacy/
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 28 of 30
    scdundasscdundas Posts: 13member
    I knew Microsoft was switching over to Chromium a few months ago, the reason was reportedly due to Google deliberately slowing their sites for anyone using the Edge browser. The Edge engine wasn't bad and in fact was faster than the Blink engine in many cases. 

As for why bring it to the Mac, and why not use the Webkit engine. It's simple really. Chromium and it's Blink engine are likely easier for developers to work with on Windows and it's easy enough to port to macOS. I believe that the Blink engine actually began as a fork of Webkit. 
  • Reply 29 of 30
    charlesatlascharlesatlas Posts: 398member
    Even with Mozilla's massive screw-up this past weekend, I would never choose a Microsoft browser over Firefox.
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 30 of 30
    lowededwookielowededwookie Posts: 1,143member
    Even with Mozilla's massive screw-up this past weekend, I would never choose a Microsoft browser over Firefox.
    I’m sorry but having used pretty much every browser out there for a number of years on all the platforms of note I can safely say that Firefox is just such a tedious browser to use these days. In fact the only reason I’ve ever had it on my Mac was to run one site that refused to run properly in Safari but I’ve not had to use that site since leaving IT and so FF got the boot. Edge is actually a very good browser and quite fast as well. Chrome is a steaming pile of dog turds and once again I’ve only needed it while working in IT for a couple of sites but generally if it works in Chrome it works in Safari so I don’t let Google near my browser history. I don’t see why Mac users are so bothered by Microsoft still. Yes past relationships weren’t good but today’s MS isn’t the same company. They’re actually making quite good products now and that includes Windows 10 which is by far the best version of Windows out there. Edge really is quite a capable browser despite what the Google nerds say.

That being said they’re still decades away from getting anywhere near close to Apple who will then have surpassed them again tech wise.