The Samsung Galaxy Fold doesn't look like it's coming back any time soon

Comments

• Reply 21 of 71
    ravnorodomravnorodom Posts: 713member
    This is like the boy who cries wolf. The third time around there would be no one showing up at the Samsung event.
    AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 71
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    This is like the boy who cries wolf. The third time around there would be no one showing up at the Samsung event.
    They really screwed the pooch on this one.
    AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 71
    chaickachaicka Posts: 257member
    I hope they do well.  Nothing sparks innovation like competition and someone looking to take your lunch.
    Samsung with innovation? Not their mobile unit. And not with that culture of theirs. Ask anyone who works in Samsung (not Samsung US) where it’s dominated by Korean leadership (meaning management levels are Koreans). That’s where true Samsung culture shows its tail (true colours).
    AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 71
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,481member
    I hope they do well.  Nothing sparks innovation like competition and someone looking to take your lunch.
    But innovation is not skimming the US patent office to figure out what the customer you are supplying screens to might be planning to do with them, then rushing to market to be first. It was revealed in 2016 that Apple received at patent for a folding phone. It was filed in 2014. It looks a lot like what Samsung tried to release. 
    chaickachiaanantksundaramAppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 71
    chaickachaicka Posts: 257member
    bulk001 said:
    People are always critical that Android makers are copying Apple. What innovation has Apple brought to iPhones recently? Thinner - yes, a newer camera - yes, increased speed in opening Safari - yes. Higher pricing to make it look cooler and more exclusive to the editorial writer here who says higher prices are better - yes. Beyond that? Not much between my current iPhone and the 6 I have as a backup. 
    Deja Vu...everyone who said the same to me years ago and switched to Samsung S5, S6 or S7 have all switched back to iPhone 8, 8 Plus or Xs Max despite being more expensive than Galaxy series. I wonder why?
    AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 71
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,312member
    A Folding screen device is something that's been talked about for YEARS.  I know MS was working on something called the Courier.  It folded like a book, you open it up, but it was 2 screens side by side.  An interesting device that ended up not being released.   You can find info on it.    It's an Interesting way to go with these flex screens.  Have a Phone and a tablet all in one.  Generally trying to be everything to everyone FAILS.   Trying to be a phone and a Tablet all in one, there are just too many compromises.   You would be better off with a Phone and a Tablet.  

When I first saw some real close up pictures of this Samesung FOLD, I could see issues with it.  For one thing, it doesn't fold completely flat.  it's almost 3/4" on the folded side.  I could also see what looked like a hole between the 2 halves and the screen.  The outside small screen I thought was odd as it's not centered on the phone.   It also has a HUGE Notch on the big screen and no headphone jack.  Shouldn't Samesung be bashed over this since they have been bashing Apple over this?

I figured 6 months and issues would start cropping up.  I had no idea that within 2 days the issues would start.  Didn't they test this phone with real people and out in the real world?  Now they once again have egg on their face.

AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 71
    frantisekfrantisek Posts: 761member
    spheric said:
    But…but…but… "First to market…!"

And first to basket....
    sphericfastasleepAppleExposedradarthekatkevin keewatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 71
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,407member
    avon b7 said:
    darkpaw said:
    bulk001 said:
    People are always critical that Android makers are copying Apple. What innovation has Apple brought to iPhones recently? Thinner - yes, a newer camera - yes, increased speed in opening Safari - yes. Higher pricing to make it look cooler and more exclusive to the editorial writer here who says higher prices are better - yes. Beyond that? Not much between my current iPhone and the 6 I have as a backup. 
    The "not much" part is the innovation bit:

• Face ID (and faster Face ID in the iPhone XS & XS Max)
    • Bionic CPU
    • The industry's first 7nm CPU in a mobile phone
    • Faster CPU
    • Faster GPU
    • Better battery life
    • Better screen technology
    • True Tone
    • P3 Wide Colour
    • Dolby Vision
    • HDR10
    • 3D Touch
    • Tap to Wake
    • 120MHz touch sensing (on the iPhone XS & XS Max)
    • Portrait mode photos
    • Smart HDR
    • Dynamic depth of field

Etc.
    That isn't lot in all honesty. I doubt the OP had 'better battery life' down as innovation.

You seem to be stretching things to extend the list and some points are dubious (tap to wake).

Face ID didn't actually change from one year to another. It is the same hardware. No higher resolution etc. It is faster simply as a result of the new chipset.

The 2018 refresh was to a large extent iterative and that, in part, is why the iPhone line is lagging behind it Android flagship competitors.

You could add a faster modem to the list but we all know the story behind that one. It really isn't up there with the top modems.

Dynamic depth of field has been available on some Android phones since early 2016. Tap to wake since 2015.

Portrait Mode appeared on Huawei phones before iPhones and when it appeared on iPhones it spent around a year in beta.

The first 7nm mobile processors were the Kirin 980 and the A12. The were  in both manufactureda in parallel by TSMC. Huawei made the chip official first. Apple shipped first (by a few weeks).

Apple hasn't done 'nothing' but it certainly hasn't done enough either.

What similar innovations have your employers at Huawei (or is it Xiaomi) had?

I'll take just one.

(See also below)
    edited May 2019 AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 71
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,407member

avon b7 said:

Dynamic depth of field has been available on some Android phones since early 2016. Tap to wake since 2015.

Portrait Mode appeared on Huawei phones before iPhones and when it appeared on iPhones it spent around a year in beta.

The first 7nm mobile processors were the Kirin 980 and the A12. The were  in both manufactureda in parallel by TSMC. Huawei made the chip official first. Apple shipped first (by a few weeks).

Cites, please? Which Android phones? What does "appeared on Huawei phones" even mean -- which ones, when? What does "Huawei made official" mean?
    AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 71
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    avon b7 said:

Cites, please? Which Android phones? What does "appeared on Huawei phones" even mean -- which ones, when? What does "Huawei made official" mean?
    Why even bother? He's touting Huawei as being first because they announcing something first even though Apple shipping in excessive quantities long before anyone else. He's the reason why companies like Samsung care about being first to announce something as pathetic as the Fold, even if it's a completely failure that isn't even close to ready. He's the kind of person that doesn't care that Apple made Touch ID fast AND secure in on the iPhone because he can point to some other company having a fingerprint reader long before Apple without concern for its speed, security, or overall utility. Apple creating a special chip specifically for security and never keeping your actual finger print in the secure element means nothing to him.
    StrangeDaysAppleExposedradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 71
    klock379klock379 Posts: 16member
    bulk001 said:
    Since the topic is fold-able display, let's talk about Apple's innovation in this area.

Apple's idea of applying the fold-able display technology is to have it bend over and tug behind itself at the bottom of the screen to remove the chin that you see in every "edge-to-edge" Android phone.

Is Apple's way of applying fold-able display technology sexy or buzz-worthy? Not really. 

But is it innovative? I would think so.

Is it creative? Absolutely. 

fastasleepAppleExposedradarthekatkevin keewatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 71
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    avon b7 said:
    darkpaw said:
    bulk001 said:
    The "not much" part is the innovation bit:

• Face ID (and faster Face ID in the iPhone XS & XS Max)
    • Bionic CPU
    • The industry's first 7nm CPU in a mobile phone
    • Faster CPU
    • Faster GPU
    • Better battery life
    • Better screen technology
    • True Tone
    • P3 Wide Colour
    • Dolby Vision
    • HDR10
    • 3D Touch
    • Tap to Wake
    • 120MHz touch sensing (on the iPhone XS & XS Max)
    • Portrait mode photos
    • Smart HDR
    • Dynamic depth of field

Etc.

Apple hasn't done 'nothing' but it certainly hasn't done enough either.

Apple has to reinvent the phone every year? I have an 8. All those innovations are worthy of getting a new phone but I’ll wait until the next one. 
    StrangeDaysAppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 71
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    The Fold seems to be the definition of an epic product failure.  Compared to that, Apple's withdrawal of its wireless charger is quite tame.

What I like about Apple is that they will not release a product untiled it meets their quality standards. That is why I always buy Apple products.

I used to believe that this was how Apple release products, but I just can’t any more. The thin obsession, profiteering, and software bugs are ludicrous now.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 34 of 71
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 646member
    You mean the launch of the folding Samsung phone is ‘Doomed’?
    AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 71
    dysamoria said:
    The Fold seems to be the definition of an epic product failure.  Compared to that, Apple's withdrawal of its wireless charger is quite tame.

What I like about Apple is that they will not release a product untiled it meets their quality standards. That is why I always buy Apple products.

I used to believe that this was how Apple release products, but I just can’t any more. The thin obsession, profiteering, and software bugs are ludicrous now.
    Nice opinion.
    AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 71
    And please remind me... What problem does the Samsung folding smartphone solve again??
    AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 71
    How does one improve on a diamond?... Incrementally.
    AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 71
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 13,037member
    Soli said:
    avon b7 said:

Why even bother? He's touting Huawei as being first because they announcing something first even though Apple shipping in excessive quantities long before anyone else. He's the reason why companies like Samsung care about being first to announce something as pathetic as the Fold, even if it's a completely failure that isn't even close to ready. He's the kind of person that doesn't care that Apple made Touch ID fast AND secure in on the iPhone because he can point to some other company having a fingerprint reader long before Apple without concern for its speed, security, or overall utility. Apple creating a special chip specifically for security and never keeping your actual finger print in the secure element means nothing to him.
    Indeed, shills don't often care about any of these things. Only moving goalposts and spinning a narrative yarn that puts their benefactors in better light. 
    fastasleepAppleExposedradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 71

avon b7 said:

Both the Huawei P9 Plus and the Honor 8 had portrait mode before the iPhone. The P9 was released in Spring 2016 and used two Leica cameras to achieve the effect. I have an iPad and bought my daughter an iPhone so no, I'm definitely not a paid Huawei plant/spy/shill. :blush: 
    sphericavon b7muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 40 of 71
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,665member
     What does "Huawei made official" mean?
    They announced it first, but didn't ship it first. 

That's really scraping rock bottom for arguments that make Huawei look better than Apple. 
    anantksundaramAppleExposedwatto_cobra