The Samsung Galaxy Fold doesn't look like it's coming back any time soon

Comments

• Reply 41 of 71
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 779member
    sdw2001 said:
    bulk001 said:
    People are always critical that Android makers are copying Apple. What innovation has Apple brought to iPhones recently? Thinner - yes, a newer camera - yes, increased speed in opening Safari - yes. Higher pricing to make it look cooler and more exclusive to the editorial writer here who says higher prices are better - yes. Beyond that? Not much between my current iPhone and the 6 I have as a backup. 

My XS max is far and away better than the X I had.  The X was far and away better than the 7 Plus.  Innovation?  Apple has never been about bleeding edge specs.  With rare exception, what they release actually works.  How about Face ID?  It's the best facial recognition in a smartphone, bar none.  Does that count as innovation?  
    FaceID only works when held in portrait mode. I actually prefer the touchID as it works regardless of the phone’s orientation. When using my phone on a tripod and it needs to be unlocked and have to pick up the whole tripod and point it at my face to unlock it. 
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 42 of 71
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,959member
    spheric said:
     What does "Huawei made official" mean?
    They announced it first, but didn't ship it first. 

That's really scraping rock bottom for arguments that make Huawei look better than Apple. 

jkichline said:
    bulk001 said:
    People are always critical that Android makers are copying Apple. What innovation has Apple brought to iPhones recently? Thinner - yes, a newer camera - yes, increased speed in opening Safari - yes. Higher pricing to make it look cooler and more exclusive to the editorial writer here who says higher prices are better - yes. Beyond that? Not much between my current iPhone and the 6 I have as a backup. 
    Um... let’s see... FaceID that’s actually fast and secure and not a cheap party trick. Processors that are faster than my laptop. True edge to edge screen, yes with a notch but that actually works.

Foldable display? Why? That’s just technology for technology sake.
    If I could successfully fold my phone out to a mini tablet or phablet, I'd be very interested from both a technical and practical perspective.

I know they would be out of reach on price and 'crude' to many people's eyes but there is a first step for everything.

I would make good use of the extra space when needed and fold it out if the way when it wasn't. Having two or three apps open at once - and visible would be a great time saver.

Unfortunately this Samsung release has hit the rocks. If they can re-float the concept with design improvements they might be able to convince people to buy into the idea. Perhaps a special warranty for the screen and hinge would make people feel safer in purchasing one.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 43 of 71
    bulk001 said:
    sdw2001 said:
    bulk001 said:

My XS max is far and away better than the X I had.  The X was far and away better than the 7 Plus.  Innovation?  Apple has never been about bleeding edge specs.  With rare exception, what they release actually works.  How about Face ID?  It's the best facial recognition in a smartphone, bar none.  Does that count as innovation?  
    FaceID only works when held in portrait mode. I actually prefer the touchID as it works regardless of the phone’s orientation. When using my phone on a tripod and it needs to be unlocked and have to pick up the whole tripod and point it at my face to unlock it. 
    Isn’t that kind of a stretch? Are you using your phone in a tripod for something other than taking photos? My phone can go straight to the camera app from the lock screen without unlocking. Flip side, I prefer Face ID over TouchID because when using the DJI remote the Home button was blocked but not with Face ID.
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 71
    darkpawdarkpaw Posts: 212member
    bulk001 said:

Try Face ID when you are shooting on a tripod. Doesn’t work. 
    Haha - Bionic CPU. What does that even mean?
    Incremental update. I asked 5 people in my office if a bionic cpu played any role in their purchase decision. It did not. 2 had just purchased phones and they were not Apple. One based on cost and one based on better sound in the phone he got. 
    Incremental update. 
    Incremental update. 
    Incremental update based on an app that’s they refused into the App Store. 
    Incremental update. 
    Etc etc etc. Almost all of your examples are slight updates on a maturing OS and not a revolutionary change.
    One area Apple is being revolutionary and where I don’t want to sell them short is on privacy but this is not a hardware design revolution. 

- Try Touch ID when your fingers are wet. Try typing in a password when you're drunk, etc. Problems with individual use cases do not dispute the fact that Face ID is the fastest and most secure facial recognition on any mobile phone anywhere.
    - Bionic CPU: https://www.apple.com/iphone-xs/a12-bionic/
    - You asked some people you work with if the Bionic CPU helped in their purchase decision? Okay. What does that prove? That some people said no? Others say yes. Who's right? It's just a marketing term for the features of the chip; features which are new and useful, and thus, innovative.

You cannot expect Apple to re-invent the phone every year. That's not possible, and it's also something NO OTHER COMPANY IS DOING EITHER! Why must you have higher standards for Apple than other companies?
    fastasleepAppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 71
    darkpaw said:
    bulk001 said:

Haha - Bionic CPU. What does that even mean?
    Incremental update. I asked 5 people in my office if a bionic cpu played any role in their purchase decision. It did not. 2 had just purchased phones and they were not Apple. One based on cost and one based on better sound in the phone he got. 
    Incremental update. 
    Incremental update. 
    Incremental update based on an app that’s they refused into the App Store. 
    Incremental update. 
    Etc etc etc. Almost all of your examples are slight updates on a maturing OS and not a revolutionary change.
    One area Apple is being revolutionary and where I don’t want to sell them short is on privacy but this is not a hardware design revolution. 

- Try Touch ID when your fingers are wet. Try typing in a password when you're drunk, etc. Problems with individual use cases do not dispute the fact that Face ID is the fastest and most secure facial recognition on any mobile phone anywhere.
    - Bionic CPU: https://www.apple.com/iphone-xs/a12-bionic/
    - You asked some people you work with if the Bionic CPU helped in their purchase decision? Okay. What does that prove? That some people said no? Others say yes. Who's right? It's just a marketing term for the features of the chip; features which are new and useful, and thus, innovative.

You cannot expect Apple to re-invent the phone every year. That's not possible, and it's also something NO OTHER COMPANY IS DOING EITHER! Why must you have higher standards for Apple than other companies?
    My fingers are usually not wet when we are using the phone to shoot video. And I can easily dry them with a towel. I don’t. I was originally pointing out that I find it refreshing that Samsung took a risk and tried something different. People then rushed out a bunch of iterative features as examples of great innovation. I disagree. This goes to my point about Bionic CPU - nobody knows what it is.  They could have gone with the ABC CPU and it would make no difference. The next phone Apple’s innovation will be to make it thinner, add another camera, andto put a couch in the middle of a roundabout in Paris using AI and probably more animated emojis. Phil Schiller’s ass indeed (look it up if you need to). 
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 46 of 71
    bulk001 said:
    sdw2001 said:
    bulk001 said:

Isn’t that kind of a stretch? Are you using your phone in a tripod for something other than taking photos? My phone can go straight to the camera app from the lock screen without unlocking. Flip side, I prefer Face ID over TouchID because when using the DJI remote the Home button was blocked but not with Face ID.
    No more a stretch than you using your experience to defend it?
  • Reply 47 of 71
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    geekmee said:
    And please remind me... What problem does the Samsung folding smartphone solve again??
    Excessive screen time. 

The folding phone limits you to 48 hours use.

Excessive screen time solved. 

Let’s see Apple top that. (Drops mic, trips over own feet while heading off stage)
    fastasleepAppleExposedsphericwatto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 71
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    bulk001 said:

My fingers are usually not wet when we are using the phone to shoot video. 
    Fnar fnar
    fastasleepAppleExposed
  • Reply 49 of 71
    bulk001 said:
    bulk001 said:
    sdw2001 said:
    bulk001 said:

No more a stretch than you using your experience to defend it?
    Thanks for agreeing that these minor, limited use cases are stretching the limits of a complaint. 

So, what are you using your phone on a tripod for aside from photos (or video) that totally messes up unlocking since it’s in landscape mode?
    AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 71
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,450member
    dysamoria said:
    The Fold seems to be the definition of an epic product failure.  Compared to that, Apple's withdrawal of its wireless charger is quite tame.

What I like about Apple is that they will not release a product untiled it meets their quality standards. That is why I always buy Apple products.

I used to believe that this was how Apple release products, but I just can’t any more. The thin obsession, profiteering, and software bugs are ludicrous now.
    Yes, Apple only recently started making things thinner and making profits and never had software bugs before. Solid case.
    AppleExposedsphericwatto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 71
    bulk001 said:
    [...] 
    JFC, the lengths people go to complain about shit. It literally takes a couple seconds to temporarily disable Face ID for unlocking the phone if you're using a tripod. Not to mention, you can access the camera from the lock screen if that's too difficult for you. Non-issue for 99.9% of users 99.9% of the time.

iPad Pro can unlock vertical and horizontal, presumably that'll come to the iPhone soon enough.

edited May 2019 AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 52 of 71

bulk001 said:
    I was originally pointing out that I find it refreshing that Samsung took a risk and tried something different.
    I'll bet you fifty bucks Apple has folded tons of screens in their prototype labs and were smart enough to not trot out some bullshit prototype that clearly wasn't ready for production like Samsung did. 
    SoliAppleExposedradarthekatsphericwatto_cobraRayz2016
  • Reply 53 of 71
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    bulk001 said:
    I was originally pointing out that I find it refreshing that Samsung took a risk and tried something different.
    I'll bet you fifty bucks Apple has folded tons of screens in their prototype labs and were smart enough to not trot out some bullshit prototype that clearly wasn't ready for production like Samsung did. 
    That's the weird aspect to all this. It's like some adult low IQ version of poorly developed object permanence: Apple hasn't said what they're doing so they must not be doing anything.
    edited May 2019 AppleExposedfastasleepsphericwatto_cobraRayz2016
  • Reply 54 of 71
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    A slap on the wrist for the Apple-wannabe.

Now imagine if only 14 iPhones had this problem? The media frenzy! (iPhone 6 comes to mind).

bulk001 said:

Androids are still using Apple designs. Why do you iKnockoff Knights only expect Apple tp recreate the phone every year while conveniently excusing the knockoffs of any responsibility?

avon b7 said:
    darkpaw said:
    bulk001 said:
    The "not much" part is the innovation bit:

• Face ID (and faster Face ID in the iPhone XS & XS Max)
    • Bionic CPU
    • The industry's first 7nm CPU in a mobile phone
    • Faster CPU
    • Faster GPU
    • Better battery life
    • Better screen technology
    • True Tone
    • P3 Wide Colour
    • Dolby Vision
    • HDR10
    • 3D Touch
    • Tap to Wake
    • 120MHz touch sensing (on the iPhone XS & XS Max)
    • Portrait mode photos
    • Smart HDR
    • Dynamic depth of field

Etc.
    That isn't lot in all honesty. I doubt the OP had 'better battery life' down as innovation.

Moving the goalposts!

klock379 said:
    bulk001 said:
    Since the topic is fold-able display, let's talk about Apple's innovation in this area.

Apple's idea of applying the fold-able display technology is to have it bend over and tug behind itself at the bottom of the screen to remove the chin that you see in every "edge-to-edge" Android phone.

Is Apple's way of applying fold-able display technology sexy or buzz-worthy? Not really. 

But is it innovative? I would think so.

Is it creative? Absolutely. 

LMAO. Samsung tried to copy this patent and released the garbage Galaxy Edge. A good reminder that copying without knowing WHY is absolutely foolish. The iKnockoff Knights to this day still claim it was "innovative". LMAO.

avon b7 said:

Dynamic depth of field has been available on some Android phones since early 2016. Tap to wake since 2015.

Portrait Mode appeared on Huawei phones before iPhones and when it appeared on iPhones it spent around a year in beta.

The first 7nm mobile processors were the Kirin 980 and the A12. The were  in both manufactureda in parallel by TSMC. Huawei made the chip official first. Apple shipped first (by a few weeks).

Cites, please? Which Android phones? What does "appeared on Huawei phones" even mean -- which ones, when? What does "Huawei made official" mean?
    Both the Huawei P9 Plus and the Honor 8 had portrait mode before the iPhone. The P9 was released in Spring 2016 and used two Leica cameras to achieve the effect. I have an iPad and bought my daughter an iPhone so no, I'm definitely not a paid Huawei plant/spy/shill. :blush: 

And still use the iPhone design...

I was thinking, I should copy the iPhone and slap a half-assed new feature on it just to get iKnockoff Knights excited.
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 55 of 71

Both the Huawei P9 Plus and the Honor 8 had portrait mode before the iPhone. The P9 was released in Spring 2016 and used two Leica cameras to achieve the effect. I have an iPad and bought my daughter an iPhone so no, I'm definitely not a paid Huawei plant/spy/shill. :blush: 

And still use the iPhone design...

What was that about moving the goalposts? ;-)

In my case I didn't actually move anything.

The OP brought up the subject of Apple's lack of innovation with iPhone in recent years.

That was countered by a list of 'innovation' but which actually struggled to put a dent in the OP's observation.

To the point that the list actually did very little to change the notion of Apple's lack of innovation and even drew attention to it by naming dubious examples (better battery life) and duplicity (Bionic, CPU, GPU).

My point drew attention back the OP's original point of lacking in innovation.

That's where the goalposts were and that is where they remained.

However, not content with letting my point sit on its own merits (I even supported it, picking out a few issues only, and refrained from savaging the post because I thought the poster was simply voicing what he or she perceived as a reasonable counterpoint) you not only jump in with a Nunzy-style one liner (a drive by comment) but, in the same post, you actually moved the goalposts yourself!

muthuk_vanalingamAppleExposed
  • Reply 56 of 71
    Soli said:
    bulk001 said:
    That's the weird aspect to all this. It's like some adult low IQ version of poorly developed object permanence: Apple hasn't said what they're doing so they must not be doing anything.
    Yes, exactly. How many posts do we see here saying “Apple has tens of thousands of employees and they’re not doing anything because x is overdue for an update”?
    sphericAppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 57 of 71
    habi000habi000 Posts: 10member
    This is what Samsung devices look like when they don't have Apple to copy.

It's amusing to think back how the iPhone was described as merely a collection of obvious design choices. Yet neither Samsung or similar had anything like it prior, and that the seemingly obvious collection of technologies wasn't achieved prior.
    And Cornings gorillaglass was one of the reasons this was a hit. I have a bunch of old PDA/"smartphones" that had a plastic screen and I remember the first time I understood that this had a glass screen. Oh boy was I pleased! Never ever would I buy a 1800$ plastic screen smartphone... Oh the scratches after a few months...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 58 of 71
    darkpawdarkpaw Posts: 212member
    avon b7 said:

The OP brought up the subject of Apple's lack of innovation with iPhone in recent years.

That was countered by a list of 'innovation' but which actually struggled to put a dent in the OP's observation.

To the point that the list actually did very little to change the notion of Apple's lack of innovation and even drew attention to it by naming dubious examples (better battery life) and duplicity (Bionic, CPU, GPU).
    Here's the original post:
    The OP didn't say how Android maker's phones were innovative and Apple's iPhones weren't, so I didn't really have a list to go against; I just made a list of some innovations Apple has implemented over the years. The OP merely expressed the opinion that Apple hasn't innovated - without providing a reason for their comment. Why must I prove Apple has been innovative, but the OP gets away with merely saying they aren't? I'd say it's now up to them to counter mine and others' comments.

Iterations on a common element can be innovative, or are you suggesting Apple should replace the battery every year with some new non-Li-ion power tech, then replace it again next year with something completely new again? And the display should be completely different, too? Year 1: LCD, Year 2: OLED, Year 3: Holograms, Year 4: Frikkin' lasers beaming images directly into your retinas?

A phone with a folding screen that breaks within a day might be innovative, but it's also indicative of poor execution and a terrible desire to rush an unfinished product to market.

How do you know Apple aren't working on folding screens? Just because they haven't released a product with a folding display yet does not mean they aren't being innovative; it just means they're not ready yet. Where is Samsung's innovation with facial recognition? Apple has innovated there. Samsung hasn't, but the folding screen of their latest handset is the only thing we're allowed to confirm innovation against? Should Apple have to release unfinished products at the same time as Samsung release a product with some 'innovative' feature so we can tick boxes on a comparison sheet to gauge how innovative each company is?
    fastasleepAppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 59 of 71
    darkpaw said:
    avon b7 said:

Here's the original post:
    The OP didn't say how Android maker's phones were innovative and Apple's iPhones weren't, so I didn't really have a list to go against; I just made a list of some innovations Apple has implemented over the years. The OP merely expressed the opinion that Apple hasn't innovated - without providing a reason for their comment. Why must I prove Apple has been innovative, but the OP gets away with merely saying they aren't? I'd say it's now up to them to counter mine and others' comments.

Iterations on a common element can be innovative, or are you suggesting Apple should replace the battery every year with some new non-Li-ion power tech, then replace it again next year with something completely new again? And the display should be completely different, too? Year 1: LCD, Year 2: OLED, Year 3: Holograms, Year 4: Frikkin' lasers beaming images directly into your retinas?

A phone with a folding screen that breaks within a day might be innovative, but it's also indicative of poor execution and a terrible desire to rush an unfinished product to market.

How do you know Apple aren't working on folding screens? Just because they haven't released a product with a folding display yet does not mean they aren't being innovative; it just means they're not ready yet. Where is Samsung's innovation with facial recognition? Apple has innovated there. Samsung hasn't, but the folding screen of their latest handset is the only thing we're allowed to confirm innovation against? Should Apple have to release unfinished products at the same time as Samsung release a product with some 'innovative' feature so we can tick boxes on a comparison sheet to gauge how innovative each company is?
    The OP made a general comment on lack of innovation and named a couple of points.

It wasn't necessary to provide a list as the subject has been brought up many times and is a reasonable viewpoint when compared to competing phones.

You chose to provide a list. You didn't need a list to go up against.

Iteration on battery tech is not Innovation in my book. They still ship with 5W chargers which simply makes things even worse. They haven't made ANY jumps on battery technology AFAIK. The competition has done far more in that field (true fast charging - both in the phone charger, using graphene cooling, graphite, TüV certification, AI for battery maintenance and optimisation ...)

No one spoke of needling constant change but some innovation in battery tech is required. I can guarantee you that the 5W charger will be more come September. But that is the future, not now or the last few years, which is what we are talking about.

Your whole point on the future, folding phones, Samsung etc is irrelevant because we are talking about the reality over the last few years. Not what might happen in the future.

I have no idea why you focus on Samsung. Huawei has done more with its 3D depth sensing than Apple, for example.

Apple literally did NOTHING with it from one year to the next. 

While others innovated in key areas, Apple has done next to nothing and even took the second camera off the entry level iPhone.
  • Reply 60 of 71
    avon b7 said:

I have no idea why you focus on Samsung. Huawei has done more with its 3D depth sensing than Apple, for example.

Apple literally did NOTHING with it from one year to the next. 
    Literally nothing? My iPad Pro can unlock in any orientation. That's an advancement from my iPhone X.

While others innovated in key areas, Apple has done next to nothing and even took the second camera off the entry level iPhone.
    Ignoring the "next to nothing" bull, the entry level iPhone has always had a single camera. 
    watto_cobra