Should I wait for a 970 or buy an eMac now?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    The first 970 Macs will definitely have premium pricing. How can you ignore history? Remember G3, G4. Were they cheap?

Apple's marketing people are confident that they can price the first 970's high. Even I could write Jeff Goldblum's TV spot...

"Think steam, think rocket fuel. Think cassette players, think MP3. Think the telegraph, think the Internet. Apple presents the new 64-bit MacIntosh. Twice the bits, twice the power."

An exaggeration? Sure. What else is new?

This kind of campaign has a very good chance of pulling the big bucks from bleeding-edge designers and early adopters.

But I agree that the new Macs, particularly the 1.42ghz G4's, would be a good investment to hold you over until rev 2 of the 970's. The first revs will have the usual problems that will be resolved with rev 2. Why pay a premium for demo gear?
  • Reply 22 of 26
    I don't think the first 970's will have any problems.

1) It's nat a new architecture

2) It is based on the Power4, which has been around for a while.

3) IBM has been testing it for a while already.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    tiktik Posts: 57member
    I think what I'll do is buy a dual 867 PM and not buy again for 1.5 to 2 years. I'll be making much more money then and the 970s will have come down a bit. Perhaps we'll even have the 980s by then!

Wouldn't it be cool if the PPC advanced so fast that you actually might not have bought a computer with each variant?
  • Reply 24 of 26
    [quote]Originally posted by Splinemodel:

<strong>I don't think the first 970's will have any problems.

1) It's nat a new architecture

2) It is based on the Power4, which has been around for a while.

3) IBM has been testing it for a while already.</strong><hr></blockquote>I'm just not as optimistic as you. Apple knows power users are waiting on the 970, and the machines will be pre-ordered long before there are any objective reviews available. There is plenty of room for things to go wrong with the first 64-bit chips and OSx. I prefer to wait and pay less for the faster, cheaper, improved rev 2 model. Unfortunately, that requires having a good, useable Mac for the next year and a half.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    Well, how about buying a refurbished eMac? Apple has them (the last time I looked) for as low as $699.00 and even though it's a refurb, it comes with a one year warranty and is eligiable for extended Applecare. This would give you the upgrade you want now with and save you some money for your upgrade later.
  • Reply 26 of 26
    tiktik Posts: 57member
    Okay..I admit it. I broke down and bought a dual 867 PM DDR....I found an open box return for $1,200 and I just couldn't resist!

Now I'm set to weather the Rev A 970 sh**storm.

And you're right...the back-order is going to be so long on the 970s that it will just suck all the fun out of getting one...plus the inevitable Rev A problems. Perhaps July/Sept of 2004 I will get one.