What to expect at the 2019 WWDC from iOS 13 and watchOS 6

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 50
    mpw_amherstmpw_amherst Posts: 565member
    What of the revised home screen? I recall this was meant to be one of the big feature of iOS 12 and then held over to iOS 13. I remember it being mentioned earlier in the year but nothing of late. I certainly feel it could be updates - it feels pretty stale and I’d love a few select apps to be there with information, rather like dashboard, every time I go ‘home’. 
    edited June 2019 netmage
  • Reply 42 of 50
    stanhopestanhope Posts: 160member
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    The WWDC Keynote is the best 2 hours of the year if you are an Apple geek.

• Reply 43 of 50
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    robbyx said:
    The iPad “mouse” already exists. It’s called the Apple Pencil.  I don’t see Apple adding a mouse and a cursor to the iPad. The iPhone and iPad are different from the traditional mouse-driven GUI because we actually touch the physical device. That’s the whole point.  It’s more “personal”. Apple hasn’t been this focused on touch to now dirty up the iPad screen with a cursor. The Pencil is the new mouse. It allows for more precision without breaking the touch paradigm. You still touch the screen, whether it’s with your finger or the Pencil. 
    That won't solve the problem. The pencil is only useful when you're using it in 'tablet' mode. When it is standing up with the keyboard, it is ergonomically poor, as well as horribly inefficient to use your finger or a pencil to interact with the touch-screen. If Apple wants the iPad to be a laptop-replacement of sorts (which it seems they do because of the keyboard cover), they have to have 'mouse' input.

gctwnl said:
    ... but it never was updated. So, for instance, how to migrate Mail Services is still missing. And I'm waiting for this info. I am afraid though, that Apple has simply dropped us original macOS Server users.
    They have dropped whole bunches of areas/technologies. I'm hoping it was more a matter of resources under the quick growth, and they'll eventually catch back up. Hopefully it all doesn't just sit stagnant, while they focus on poo emoji and TV shows.

apple ][ said:
    I am against it, because I believe that it would have a negative effect overall on the iOS ecosystem, so in the end, it would end up affecting me, even if I would never use one on iOS.

The mouse is a device made for desktop OS systems. iOS was created around a new UI concept using multitouch and I don't believe that bringing in legacy input devices would be a step forward. It would be a step backwards. It would not be evolution, it would be devolution.
    I agree... IF the idea is to keep 'desktops' and 'mobile' in their own separate domains. However, as I said above, Apple has already blurred that line by adding a keyboard to the iPad Pro and suggesting it as the new 'computer.' When you're using a tablet as a tablet, of course you want to be touch-centric. But, when you're using it more like a desktop/laptop, touch is quite inconvenient, slow, non-ergonomic, non-precise, etc.

Also, we don't get some kind of 'mouse' support, I think it will actually hamper the advanced growth you're looking for as the push to advance seems to be at least partly being driven by trying to make iPads and such push into the 'desktop' arena.

StrangeDays said:
    Bloated? How so? It’s not like we’re getting a bunch of useless and disjointed carrier and device maker apps tossed on top of the OSes. 
    I'm not sure I'd have picked that exact term, but I think I understand. We're getting more relatively useless features that almost can get in the way of the good-stuff, and more of the apps that used to be useful are now just taking up space. Yeah, not quite the same as bloated when thinking of other OSs/devices. Maybe more lack of refinement and finished-ness.

I think the general expectation with the Apple watch is that it becomes device independent. Much in the same way that the iPhone initially required a computer to set it up and sync it.
    Other than apps, the set up of the Watch relies heavily on the paired iPhone - this doesn't seem completely unsurmountable. Perhaps a nearby iOS device, Mac or iCloud web app could be able to perform this function along with providing the deeper access to configuration which is not currently possible on the device on its own.

Fast forward into the future and perhaps our 'watch' is our main computer - and screens/input devices are nothing more than devices to be engaged by the watch's near field technologies.
    Maybe I'm just not imaginative enough, but I think basic physics will get in the way, short of mini nuclear power plants inside the watch. I just don't think enough energy can be crammed into such a small device to do more 'real' computer work, let alone provide enough communications bandwidth aside from small bursts.

macgui said:
    AirPlay my iTunes library from my Mac to my HomePod. NOT from iCloud but from my Mac's iTunes library! Any song, all the songs, any play list, but not just playlists!
    You can't do that already? If not, they probably purposely broke that to push Apple Music subscriptions, like they did family sharing in iTunes.
  • Reply 44 of 50
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 13,040member
    cgWerks said:
    AirPlay my iTunes library from my Mac to my HomePod. NOT from iCloud but from my Mac's iTunes library! Any song, all the songs, any play list, but not just playlists!
    You can't do that already? If not, they probably purposely broke that to push Apple Music subscriptions, like they did family sharing in iTunes.
    You can absolutely do that today. I airplay from iTunes to my HomePods no problem. 

How is iTunes purposely broken? I can open iTunes on my iPad right now and download music my SO bought, due to our family sharing. Your conspiracy theory about Apple Music is tinfoil hat stuff. 
    edited June 2019
  • Reply 45 of 50
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,130member
    DAalseth said:
    Sadly nothing about mouse support on the iPad. I've come around to liking the idea of attaching an iPad to an external monitor and using a mouse.
    How about a monitor with a slot to slide an iOS device of your choice into; with a BT mouse and keyboard attached? Shades of my very first mac: the Powerbook Duo. 

Done right it would kill my need for a desktop mac. Already scheming to do something like this with a dock with my MacBook and a nice 4k display.

But it ain't gonna be at WWDC19.

edited June 2019
  • Reply 46 of 50
    apple ][ said:
    apple ][ said:
    DAalseth said:
    Sadly nothing about mouse support on the iPad. I've come around to liking the idea of attaching an iPad to an external monitor and using a mouse.
    I hope that they never add that. It should be forbidden forever.
    Yes, because your preferences somehow amount to natural law.

Seriously, why do some people get so triggered over this?  The mouse is a useful device.  I can see Apple not wanting to make the changes needed to support one, for instance, there's currently no concept of an on-screen pointer anywhere except a cursor when typing, so adding that could be a challenge, especially when Apple would want to do it "right" and not display it all the time.  But I don't get the "no, never!" attitude some people display over otherwise useful things.
    I am against it, because I believe that it would have a negative effect overall on the iOS ecosystem, so in the end, it would end up affecting me, even if I would never use one on iOS.

The mouse is a device made for desktop OS systems. iOS was created around a new UI concept using multitouch and I don't believe that bringing in legacy input devices would be a step forward. It would be a step backwards. It would not be evolution, it would be devolution.

It also seems as if Apple is in full agreement with this viewpoint. 
    With the larger screens of latter day iPads, a mouse on top of the desk could be (could be) easier to use and more ergonomically sound for some users and use cases than even a pencil, especially if one is pairing a bluetooth keyboard.

How would it "have a negative effect overall on the iOS ecosystem"?  I don't understand how.  Has Apple not demonstrated over and over again that it's been able to introduce features without sacrificing quality?
  • Reply 47 of 50

macgui said:

Cursor keys for iPad and phone, on device, not a keyboard. Also a Copy key. I'm tired of fidgeting with my finger time and having the cursor not ending up where I want or not being able to highlight what I want the first time. And by keys, I mean software keys.

Gods, this.  If nothing else ever, this.
  • Reply 48 of 50
    StrangeDays said:
    How is iTunes purposely broken? I can open iTunes on my iPad right now and download music my SO bought, due to our family sharing. Your conspiracy theory about Apple Music is tinfoil hat stuff. 
    Conspiracy theory? How about a track that isn't in Apple Music? Do you remember Family Sharing in iTunes (pre-Apple Music)?

beowulfschmidt said:
    How would it "have a negative effect overall on the iOS ecosystem"?  I don't understand how.  Has Apple not demonstrated over and over again that it's been able to introduce features without sacrificing quality?
    Well, if you kludge a mouse interface onto a tablet OS, or kludge a touch-OS onto a desktop OS (hello Microsoft?), it does turn into a mess. I suspect, that is the concern. Apple would have to think it through, and do it right. As to your last question... no, Apple has been kind of iffy on that lately, especially in software/apps.

But, as I was saying above, I think it needs to happen. Finger or pen, when you have the iPad propped up near-vertically in front of your keyboard, it's super-awkward to touch the screen with either your finger or a pencil, let alone do so accurately (assuming you don't knock the iPad over). Even a touch-screen on a laptop would work better, as at least it would be relatively stable.
  • Reply 49 of 50
    cgWerks said:

beowulfschmidt said:
    Well, if you kludge a mouse interface onto a tablet OS, or kludge a touch-OS onto a desktop OS (hello Microsoft?), it does turn into a mess. I suspect, that is the concern. Apple would have to think it through, and do it right. As to your last question... no, Apple has been kind of iffy on that lately, especially in software/apps.

Apple has made some mis-steps in recent years, but I'm skeptical that any implementation of mouse support they would introduce would be kludgy.  I would expect them to get something as simple and ubiquitous as mouse support right the first time.
  • Reply 50 of 50
    beowulfschmidt said:
    Apple has made some mis-steps in recent years, but I'm skeptical that any implementation of mouse support they would introduce would be kludgy.  I would expect them to get something as simple and ubiquitous as mouse support right the first time.
    Agreed (and let's hope!). I think the other concern is in terms of developer direction. If you introduce that, and then developers jump on it, it could quickly dilute the primary-touch-access usability of apps. So, touch always has to be the primary.... or, we/they have to make a decision that it's OK to have 'laptop mode' apps that don't work well when you don't have the keyboard/mouse. I'm not sure we want iOS to go there.