What to expect at the 2019 WWDC from iOS 13 and watchOS 6

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    Things I’d like to see:
    1.  Mouse support for the iPad.  Just because you don’t want one doesn’t mean I don’t want one.  Using Excel on an iPad is a nightmare for me, as I select multiple cells, and I feel like I’m wearing mittens and eating M&M’s when using it.  Bluetooth would be preferred.
    2.  While still using an Apple Watch Series 0, and in the market for a new one (battery life at 15 hours with no workout, 6 with a 30 minute workout - now use Strava on my iPhone for bike rides because...
         I’d like to see complications on the Apple Workout app.  I’m a Type 1 diabetic, and having my blood sugar on my Apple Watch is great, but riding a bike, stopping to switch screens while on the workout app to check it is just cumbersome.  Being able to just look at my watch, see my heartbeat, miles ridden, blood sugar with trending information, and time worked out and other info would be ideal.  Plus, who know what other health information could be put there.  Blood sugar while working out is one of those critical things.
    3.  Yep, having the ipad as a 4th screen on my setup would be great, especially when using my flight sim.  It’d make a great flight panel.  Or better yet...
    4.  xR technology on the mac.  Having AR to use instead of 3 4K (OK, 2 4K and 1 5K) monitors would be a lot less drain on my iMac than an AR system, but then again, it would have to send it all wirelessly, which doesn’t really thrill me.  Maybe have it attach to the iPhone... but then the controls I have would have to attach somehow.  They’re low data bandwidth devices, so maybe a Bluetooth to USB box could accommodate the yoke/throttle/radio/switches, but that’s a very small sliver of the computing world, so I doubt this would be a “go”.

cgWerks
  • Reply 22 of 50
         I’d like to see complications on the Apple Workout app.  I’m a Type 1 diabetic, and having my blood sugar on my Apple Watch is great, but riding a bike, stopping to switch screens while on the workout app to check it is just cumbersome.  Being able to just look at my watch, see my heartbeat, miles ridden, blood sugar with trending information, and time worked out and other info would be ideal.  Plus, who know what other health information could be put there.  Blood sugar while working out is one of those critical things.

How are you getting blood sugar on your phone?  Do you have dedicated hardware and a dedicated app?
  • Reply 23 of 50
    pilopilo Posts: 5member
    Wow really 29.985 unread emails? I hope is a sync issue.... (My fix: create "Old" folder, move all to it except last two month emails, and then mark all read. Can't have more than 10 it 🤯.
    cornchip
  • Reply 24 of 50
    apple ][ said:
    DAalseth said:
    Sadly nothing about mouse support on the iPad. I've come around to liking the idea of attaching an iPad to an external monitor and using a mouse.
    I hope that they never add that. It should be forbidden forever.
    Yes, because your preferences somehow amount to natural law.

Seriously, why do some people get so triggered over this?  The mouse is a useful device.  I can see Apple not wanting to make the changes needed to support one, for instance, there's currently no concept of an on-screen pointer anywhere except a cursor when typing, so adding that could be a challenge, especially when Apple would want to do it "right" and not display it all the time.  But I don't get the "no, never!" attitude some people display over otherwise useful things.
    netmage
  • Reply 25 of 50
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    apple ][ said:
    I've only been using an Apple Watch for a few months now, but I'd like to see a health app on Mac OS, so that I can view all of the health data and walks, run data and maps from my Apple Watch on my Mac.
    I totally agree!
    Adding additional trackers to the Health App is good, but doesn't address its basic problem of being essentially a black hole where data goes in but nothing meaningful ever comes back out.

Three interrelated things contribute to it: 
    1)  The closed, iPhone only architecture limits its ability to report summaries and trends.
    2)  The tiny little graphs, many without delineated y-axis, are pretty much useless.
    3)  Difficulty sharing data with, say, Apple's Numbers app, constricts its usability even further.
    netmage
  • Reply 26 of 50

How are you getting blood sugar on your phone?  Do you have dedicated hardware and a dedicated app?
    The Dexcom sensor and app do it nicely.  There's a sensor that goes through the skin, and broadcasts to my pump and phone.  After that, it goes to the Watch.  The Freestyle Libre won't work for me, as I don't want to have to tap my phone or transmitter to it.  I've seen people do it (in passing), but I've never asked if it does it automagically, like the Dexcom does through bluetooth.

The Dexcom G6 (and G5) compare pretty closely to finger sticks.  G6 doesn't require them, but I still check anyway.
    edited May 2019 beowulfschmidtiqatedo
  • Reply 27 of 50
    Just fix Siri Tim. Do nothing until you do this. 
    macgui
  • Reply 28 of 50
    “Just fix Siri.”  I so agree.
  • Reply 29 of 50
    ericthehalfbeeericthehalfbee Posts: 4,486member
    I can sum up all the comments to save people the trouble of reading them:

• iOS copying features from Android again.
    • Apple didn't give me "insert feature". That's it, I'm finished with Apple.
    • Android had this feature since 1967 - nice of Apple to finally catch up,.
    • They want $$$ for the Mac Pro? I can build a machine that's twice as fast for half the price.
    • Apple still can't innovate.
    cornchipStrangeDayspscooter63macplusplusbeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 30 of 50
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    I only have on wish for this and all future WWDCs: simplify, simplify, simplify, just SIMPLIFY all the OSs.

They’ve all basically become a bloated mess.
    iqatedocgWerks
  • Reply 31 of 50
    gctwnlgctwnl Posts: 278member
    Maybe someone can ask Apple's engineers if they're ever going to complete (as promised) the document that explains on how to migrate your macOS Server setup to open source versions (for me: mainly Mail Services). The https://developer.apple.com/support/macos-server/macOS-Server-Service-Migration-Guide.pdf documentation to help with this transition was last updated in June 2018 and said:

This guide is designed to assist those administrators comfortable with installing and maintaining open source projects to migrate their service data to the underlying open source project that was previously bundled with macOS Server.

NOTE: This document will be updated with additional service migration tasks.
    but it never was updated. So, for instance, how to migrate Mail Services is still missing. And I'm waiting for this info. I am afraid though, that Apple has simply dropped us original macOS Server users.
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 32 of 50
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    I want Amazon Music on the Apple Watch......
    It’s up to Amazon to create a WatchOS app for this, no? Has Apple said ‘no’ to that?
    netmage
  • Reply 33 of 50
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    apple ][ said:
    DAalseth said:
    Sadly nothing about mouse support on the iPad. I've come around to liking the idea of attaching an iPad to an external monitor and using a mouse.
    I hope that they never add that. It should be forbidden forever.
    Yes, because your preferences somehow amount to natural law.

Seriously, why do some people get so triggered over this?  The mouse is a useful device.  I can see Apple not wanting to make the changes needed to support one, for instance, there's currently no concept of an on-screen pointer anywhere except a cursor when typing, so adding that could be a challenge, especially when Apple would want to do it "right" and not display it all the time.  But I don't get the "no, never!" attitude some people display over otherwise useful things.
    I am against it, because I believe that it would have a negative effect overall on the iOS ecosystem, so in the end, it would end up affecting me, even if I would never use one on iOS.

The mouse is a device made for desktop OS systems. iOS was created around a new UI concept using multitouch and I don't believe that bringing in legacy input devices would be a step forward. It would be a step backwards. It would not be evolution, it would be devolution.

It also seems as if Apple is in full agreement with this viewpoint. 
    edited May 2019 macpluspluspscooter63
  • Reply 34 of 50
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,884member
    I only have on wish for this and all future WWDCs: simplify, simplify, simplify, just SIMPLIFY all the OSs.

They’ve all basically become a bloated mess.
    Bloated? How so? It’s not like we’re getting a bunch of useless and disjointed carrier and device maker apps tossed on top of the OSes. 
  • Reply 35 of 50
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    I think the general expectation with the Apple watch is that it becomes device independent. Much in the same way that the iPhone initially required a computer to set it up and sync it.
    Other than apps, the set up of the Watch relies heavily on the paired iPhone - this doesn't seem completely unsurmountable. Perhaps a nearby iOS device, Mac or iCloud web app could be able to perform this function along with providing the deeper access to configuration which is not currently possible on the device on its own.

Fast forward into the future and perhaps our 'watch' is our main computer - and screens/input devices are nothing more than devices to be engaged by the watch's near field technologies.
  • Reply 36 of 50
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    I think the general expectation with the Apple watch is that it becomes device independent. Much in the same way that the iPhone initially required a computer to set it up and sync it.
    Other than apps, the set up of the Watch relies heavily on the paired iPhone - this doesn't seem completely unsurmountable. Perhaps a nearby iOS device, Mac or iCloud web app could be able to perform this function along with providing the deeper access to configuration which is not currently possible on the device on its own.

Fast forward into the future and perhaps our 'watch' is our main computer - and screens/input devices are nothing more than devices to be engaged by the watch's near field technologies.
    No doubt eventually. I think it is clearly step by step until hardware catches up with the vision.
     The near term alternative of course is to make an Android Apple Watch app ( missing some key iPhone based features of course). Once that happens it will be one watch to rule them all ( well, more than it is already).
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 37 of 50
    entropys said:
    No doubt eventually. I think it is clearly step by step until hardware catches up with the vision.
     The near term alternative of course is to make an Android Apple Watch app ( missing some key iPhone based features of course). Once that happens it will be one watch to rule them all ( well, more than it is already).
    I'm not sure if I see that happening. For starters, there is no Apple Pay on Android, for obvious reasons.

And I'm not sure if there's a huge market for people who have cheap phones to be buying premium watches that costs more than their phone. It's not a market or customer base worth pursuing, in my opinion. There are a ton of alternative cheap wearables on the market which will suit third world Android people and their budgets much better in my view.

• Reply 38 of 50
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    apple ][ said:
    entropys said:
    I'm not sure if I see that happening. For starters, there is no Apple Pay on Android, for obvious reasons.

And I'm not sure if there's a huge market for people who have cheap phones to be buying premium watches that costs more than their phone. It's not a market or customer base worth pursuing, in my opinion. There are a ton of alternative cheap wearables on the market which will suit third world Android people and their budgets much better in my view.

Well there is a windows version of iTunes. And not every Android is low end. Agree it isn’t simple though.
  • Reply 39 of 50
    entropys said:
    Well there is a windows version of iTunes. And not every Android is low end. Agree it isn’t simple though.
    Yes, there is a windows version of iTunes, and the main reason for its existence is the iPod I think. I do think that it was smart of Apple to open up the iPod and make it compatible not just for Macs.

I do remember Apple ditching the firewire port on it when that happened though and the iPod went USB.

I don't really see the Apple Watch as being comparable to an iPod though, as one was just a music player, while the Apple Watch is far more heavily integrated with Apple services and iOS.
  • Reply 40 of 50
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    Emojis??  Be still my beating heart for it bounds with exultation!! For fucking emojis! (Sorry about the mashup.) Oh yea and yay again!

My wish list is low-bar, very doable, and stands a snowball's chance.

New Watch faces. Not just one or two or four. A dozen at least. And make some of them rectangular, you know, to fit the shape of the Watch. No, just doing it for the Hermès line isn't enough. No third-party Watch faces either. The Pebble 'watch face store' or whatever should be warning enough.

Activity app displayed on the iPad (and maybe Mac) not just on the phone, displayed full screen. No extra iPad bits, just the app as seen on the phone but BIGGER.

Interval timer on the phone, Watch, and iPad. Set interval, set alert (audible and/or visual), set repeat limit, done.

Cursor keys for iPad and phone, on device, not a keyboard. Also a Copy key. I'm tired of fidgeting with my finger time and having the cursor not ending up where I want or not being able to highlight what I want the first time. And by keys, I mean software keys.

Mouse support for iPad. Why not. It already supports keyboards.

AirPlay my iTunes library from my Mac to my HomePod. NOT from iCloud but from my Mac's iTunes library! Any song, all the songs, any play list, but not just playlists!

Calculator for iPad. Seriously. Take the calculator app from the phone as is, and make it iPad size. NO iPAD BITS. As is from the phone and I'm happy.

Weather for iPad. Again! Take the phone app as is, and make it iPad size. Done. No gilding.

Send Siri to school. Siriously. Make her at least as smart as Alexa, who has her own faults, but is a frikken genius compared to Siri.

Speedometer for Maps. No, not a speedometer app. There are almost as many third-party speedo apps as there are/were flashlight apps. Just a simple digital speedo on the Maps display, same as every other GPS device and some third-party apps.

GPS window mode for Maps. By this I mean a mode where it doesn't ask for a destination. All related data (ETA, etc) is removed. Just bezel to bezel display of the area around you. I've seen this on GPS units and in cars. Without a destination plugged in, the phone turns off at the prescribed lock time. This is kind of a big ask and probably doesn't have any demand except from me. But I've asked Apple anyway.

Offline Maps. Ok, I admit this is a Big Ask. As is, Maps is 99% of what I need in a GPS. While other features of a dedicated GPS would be perks, offline Maps would be killer. And yes I've asked Apple, and no  am not holding my breath.

These are a few things that have occurred to me from the various Apple platforms. I'd like to see all of them happen and I've told Apple that at Apple Feedback. There was a saying the service, whenever we asked for something... 'If you wish in one hand...' I forget the rest, but I know it had something to do with not going to get what we wanted.