MS joins DVDRW Alliance

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>IIRC, this is basically lip service. Microsoft jumped in with the DVD+RW Alliance over 2 years ago shortly after Apple and Compaq started shipping DVD-RW drive equipped PCs.</strong><hr></blockquote>And another thing....

All too often we forget that computers are not the only devices that use DVDs. DVD+R/RW is supposed to be more capatible with older DVD players. Why this should be of interest people who buy new players is beyond me. At any rate, I recently spoke to a local high-end video salesman about the two formats. I asked him which format he thought would survive DVD-R/RW or DVD+R/RW. He stated flatly that it would be DVD-R/RW. If you look at the actual sales without the Microsoft FUD, DVD-R/RW is dominant. IMHO, in chosing DVD+R/RW, Microsoft is trying to leverage the market to its own advantage. However, the DVD market is extremely robust outside the PC space where Microsoft is an also-ran.
  • Reply 22 of 27
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>IIRC, this is basically lip service. Microsoft jumped in with the DVD+RW Alliance over 2 years ago shortly after Apple and Compaq started shipping DVD-RW drive equipped PCs.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Does Compaq still back the DVD Forum, though, with the takeover by HP?
  • Reply 22 of 27
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Well since this really is more of a tech discussion then future hardware, it's moving to GD.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    I wonder if this format war will over before Blue Ray discs or after.

The Blue Ray tech seems to be supported by almost everyone.

[ 02-25-2003: Message edited by: JLL ]</p>
  • Reply 25 of 27
    [quote]Originally posted by JLL:

<strong>I wonder if this format war will over before Blue Ray discs or after.

The Blue Ray tech seems to be supported by almost everyone.

[ 02-25-2003: Message edited by: JLL ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

There "Will" be competing HD-DVD. I believe Toshiba is still set on their own tech.

<a href="http://www.osopinion.com/perl/story/19171.html"; target="_blank">Toshiba/NEC decide to be buttheads</a>

One of the beautiful things about Digital is its ability to transmogrify Digital Data to suit different needs.

The most recent case of this in which it benefits the consumer is the DVD-Audio versus SACD battle. Companies with no real vested interest in only one format can easily support both technologies in the same "Combo" unit. The only thing they need to support is the individual chipsets needed for each format which incidentally aren't the most expensive piece. They're able to leverage the existing 5.1 outputs for both tech.

DVD Recording will follow the same pathe IMO. Consumers will flock to the device that offers both and so will System Integrators. This scenario provides the least amount of headache for all involved. Format Wars are bad!
  • Reply 26 of 27
    Here is my understanding of the situation.

The Sony drives used by Apple read and write to all the formats (except DVD-RAM), but will have some of the functionality disabled in firmware.

The formats most compatible with DVD video players, including older models, are -R and +RW.

DVD+RW has an advantage for data usage, because it does not require an erase pass before being written. However, I don't believe anyone currently provides OSX software for incremental write/erase/write functionality.

As a long time user of MO technology, I've been looking for a replacement which would have some compatibility with DVD, but so far, only DVD-RAM works the same, but with much slower speed.

I wish Sony and other manufacturers would take the next step and include all the formats, including DVD-RAM (technically possible, but a marketing decison which I believe Sony decided).

My own opinion is that the other major manufacturers will go the ± route and let the customers decide, since there seems to be no issue regarding the cost or the difficulty of including these technologies.

Maybe Panasonic will add + recording to their DVDBurner II which already does DVD-RAM and -R/RW.

Just my 2 cents!

[ 02-25-2003: Message edited by: Ponton ]</p>
  • Reply 27 of 27
    eskimoeskimo Posts: 474member
    [quote]Originally posted by Fran441:

<strong>Eskimo, it has to do with the DVD Forum saying that DVD+RW is an unsupported format.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well that's a stupid reason, DVD Forum is the backer of -R/-RW so of course they are going to claim it's unsupported. That's like IBM back in the day saying that Compaq and Tandy's were unsupported because they weren't actually IBM's but simply IBM Compatible PCs. Where is IBM in the desktop PC market now? If the DVD+RW alliance can make their products compatible with existing players, which from my experience they have, I don't see the issue. I'm not lashing out at you Fran.

[quote]IIRC, this is basically lip service. Microsoft jumped in with the DVD+RW Alliance over 2 years ago shortly after Apple and Compaq started shipping DVD-RW drive equipped PCs.<hr></blockquote>

What Microsoft said 2 years ago is that they would provide native support for DVD+RW in Windows XP. It's my understanding that they didn't formally join the alliance at that time and didn't actively develop the technology, just provided support for it in their software.

[quote]Does Compaq still back the DVD Forum, though, with the takeover by HP?<hr></blockquote>

Well since the takeover is complete Compaq doesn't exist anymore. A quick look at their products shows that they ship DVD+RW drives now in their computers.

[quote]I wish Sony and other manufacturers would take the next step and include all the formats<hr></blockquote>

The Sony DRU300AX drive for the PC supports everything except DVD-RAM and writes both DVD-R/-RW and DVD+R/+RW at 4X. Plus it's a pretty silver color If it has been less than the $300 or so it retails for I probably would've bought one.