Amazon shrinks Echo Show with new $90 5.5-inch model

Posted:
in General Discussion
Amazon has revealed a new model in its Echo product lineup, with the Echo Show 5 being a compact version of the original screen-based assistive device, this time equipped with a 5.5-inch display and a low price tag of $90.

The third Echo device to have a display following the larger stablemate the Echo Show and the circular Echo Spot, the Echo Show 5 is a more affordable version that provides the same functionality as the big-screen model, in a smaller frame and at a lower cost.

Like the original, the Echo Show 5 can be used to ask questions of Alexa, to control a smart home, and to perform the same automation and entertainment functions as one of Amazon's Echo speakers. This also includes connecting to various third party services, including Apple Music and Spotify for music streaming, audio books, and podcasts.

The visual nature also means the results of queries can appear on the display, as well as recipes and to-do lists, photographs, and a clock. The unit is also able to perform video calling and messaging with those using the Alexa app, an Echo device with a display, or Skype using its built in camera and microphone, and can even display a live video feed from the Ring Video Doorbell.

For privacy, it is possible to deactivate the camera and microphone with a button press, and an additional hardware slider can be put in place over the camera lens to ensure nothing visual can be captured by the device.

This time the Echo Show 5's 5.5-inch display has a resolution of 960 by 480, a step down from the 10.1-inch 1280 by 800 display in the larger model. The dual 10-Watt speakers with passive radiator and Dolby processing in the original has been exchanged for a single 4-Watt speaker, and the 5-megapixel camera has been replaced by a 1-megapixel shooter in the new version.

Released on June 26 in the United States, the Echo Show 5 is available to pre-order now at $89.99, less than half the price of the $229.99 Echo Show.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    kestralkestral Posts: 308member
    Kanye was right, "400 years later, we buying our own chains."
    Japhey
  • Reply 2 of 22
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    Still throwing spaghetti against the wall. Why would I want this tablet-on-a-stand instead of an iPad?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 22
    AF_HittAF_Hitt Posts: 143member
    Really wish this was around when we decided to get our Nest cams and Google Home Hubs for our baby monitoring solution. I’d much rather be in the Echo ecosystem, but it just wasn’t an option, and we weren’t about to pay $230 a pop for the echo show at the time. Oh well.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    [...] Why would I want this tablet-on-a-stand instead of an iPad?
    1. Cost.

2. Easy access to Alexa, which provides control of more devices than HomeKit.

3. Form factor preference. In a living room, a self-contained screen/stand/power supply may be preferred over a tablet on a stand. The size may also be a consideration.

4. Ease of use. It’s ready to go out of the box. It doesn’t require user setup and configuration to interact with Alexa-compatible devices.
    bigtds
  • Reply 5 of 22
    1. Cost.

3. Form factor preference. In a living room, a self-contained screen/stand/power supply may be preferred over a tablet on a stand. The size may also be a consideration.

4. Ease of use. It’s ready to go out of the box. It doesn’t require user setup and configuration to interact with Alexa-compatible devices.
    Serious questions:

2. What devices does Alexa control that HomeKit doesn’t?

4. So, I can buy one of these, bring it home and turn it on and it will control all the ‘smart home’ stuff in my house without me doing anything?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 22
    1. Cost.

Explain - how is a tethered tablet-on-a-stand better than a tablet that goes anywhere you do?

Everything requires some user setup, and this is
    no exception. Setting up a new iPad is also simple. 

Any device I could want is on HomeKit, and is more secure because of it. Google-owned Nest
    is the only exception due to being anti-user, but even that still has an app. 
    edited May 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 22
    1. Cost.

Explain - how is a tethered tablet-on-a-stand better than a tablet that goes anywhere you do?

Everything requires some user setup, and this is
    no exception. Setting up a new iPad is also simple. 

Any device I could want is on HomeKit, and is more secure because of it. Google-owned Nest
    is the only exception due to being anti-user, but even that still has an app. 
    I’m with you from the standpoint of not understanding the point of such a device when there are so much more capable devices. But @"lorin schultz" is correct with “1. Cost.” I’m sure there are plenty of people that will think it’s great no matter what because it’s $90.

I have mentioned before that a friend of mine has an Echo Dot in her kitchen that she primarily uses to listen to music and set the occasional timer. It sounds terrible. I mean terrible. I don’t know why anyone would buy such a thing just to listen to music through. Personally, I’d rather listen to no music than music through an Echo Dot. But it was cheap so she thinks it’s great. And I’m sure she isn’t alone.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 22
    mr-davidmr-david Posts: 4member
    1. Cost.

Serious questions:

I'm not the OP but the Alexa controls Z-Wave devices (light switches, moisture sensors, locks) that are not supported by HomeKit. My Alexas control all devices in my home: both Z-Wave and HomeKit.
    dewme
  • Reply 9 of 22
    AF_HittAF_Hitt Posts: 143member
    1. Cost.

Serious questions:

4. So, I can buy one of these, bring it home and turn it on and it will control all the ‘smart home’ stuff in my house without me doing anything?
    2. The Nest thermostat that was already installed in our home when we bought it.

4. Everything has some sort of setup, but linking smart home devices to Alexa is objectively easier than HomeKit, and it’s  not very close.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Still throwing spaghetti against the wall. Why would I want this tablet-on-a-stand instead of an iPad?
    Because it’s limited in function, but far, far less of an investment in dollar terms. I think they’ll probably sell a lot of these.

And by the way, Apple could do well to enter this space. Imagine a “clock radio” with built-in FaceTime functionality for under $100. That could be a huge hit for Apple.
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 11 of 22
    mr-david said:
    1. Cost.

Serious questions:

I'm not the OP but the Alexa controls Z-Wave devices (light switches, moisture sensors, locks) that are not supported by HomeKit. My Alexas control all devices in my home: both Z-Wave and HomeKit.
    AF_Hitt said:
    1. Cost.

Serious questions:

2. The Nest thermostat that was already installed in our home when we bought it.

4. Everything has some sort of setup, but linking smart home devices to Alexa is objectively easier than HomeKit, and it’s  not very close.
    Ah, I see. I took that comment more as “categories of devices”, not as specific devices.

I’m curious, what is the setup process to add a smart home device to Alexa? It usually takes me less than 2 minutes to add a HomeKit device (not including installation, of course) and I don’t find it particularly time consuming or confusing.  All I have to do is add the code in the Home app, name it and assign a room.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 22
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member
    Not nearly as cute as the Spot but it definitely has a far more functional screen than does the Spot. It's not a question of whether I will buy one, it's only a question of when. I suspect the answer is "Prime Day 2019" when I suspect these will be discounted to at least $69.99 or possibly lower. I like the fact that it integrates with Ring cameras and video doorbells, which it should seeing how Amazon owns Ring, but I'd like to see an even deeper level of integration between Echo devices and the Ring Alarm system. Amazon recently released the Alexa Guard feature that allows Echo devices, even the low priced Dot, to serve as fire/CO alarm listeners and glass breakage detectors but the feature is not tightly integrated into Ring Alarm system - yet. I'd like to see the option of having the video from all of the camera equipped Echo devices plugged into the Ring app just like Ring cameras and video doorbells. The Amazon-Ring mashup has a lot of potential and they're just a few functional gaps away from where they really need to be to capture huge market share.

I imagine that Apple could make a bigger move into the home security area, perhaps by acquiring SimpliSafe or a company like it and rolling it in through HomeKit with Apple branding. Maybe I'm missing the obvious, but HomeKit feels like it's in a vapor locked state with insufficient third party product delivery and almost no Apple branded device options in the mix, other than Apple TV and iPad. 
  • Reply 13 of 22
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    dewme said:
    Not nearly as cute as the Spot but it definitely has a far more functional screen than does the Spot. It's not a question of whether I will buy one, it's only a question of when. I suspect the answer is "Prime Day 2019" when I suspect these will be discounted to at least $69.99 or possibly lower. I like the fact that it integrates with Ring cameras and video doorbells, which it should seeing how Amazon owns Ring, but I'd like to see an even deeper level of integration between Echo devices and the Ring Alarm system. Amazon recently released the Alexa Guard feature that allows Echo devices, even the low priced Dot, to serve as fire/CO alarm listeners and glass breakage detectors but the feature is not tightly integrated into Ring Alarm system - yet. I'd like to see the option of having the video from all of the camera equipped Echo devices plugged into the Ring app just like Ring cameras and video doorbells. The Amazon-Ring mashup has a lot of potential and they're just a few functional gaps away from where they really need to be to capture huge market share.

I imagine that Apple could make a bigger move into the home security area, perhaps by acquiring SimpliSafe or a company like it and rolling it in through HomeKit with Apple branding. Maybe I'm missing the obvious, but HomeKit feels like it's in a vapor locked state with insufficient third party product delivery and almost no Apple branded device options in the mix, other than Apple TV and iPad. 
    That would be a smart move for Apple to acquire companies more tied into the home automation market.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    Do I need an Amazon Prime account or to pay monthly subscription fee to use it? Forget it if it does.

It may be price competitive to the Google Home Hub (Google Nest Hub) but by June I believe GHH will lower the price.

What I don’t like GHH is that it doesn’t have Chrome installed and can’t pair a Bluetooth keyboard. Can  Amazon Shoe 5 better than a GHH?
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Because it’s limited in function, but far, far less of an investment in dollar terms. I think they’ll probably sell a lot of these.

And by the way, Apple could do well to enter this space. Imagine a “clock radio” with built-in FaceTime functionality for under $100. That could be a huge hit for Apple.
    Sounds terrible. Don’t quit your day job, if you have one. 

How many of the previous iteration (the ugly, sharp-edged boxy one) did Amazon sell? What kind of numbers are we talking? Or revenue?
  • Reply 16 of 22

AF_Hitt said:
    1. Cost.

Serious questions:

Please detail the number of steps of an Alex device vs a HK device, if it is objectively easier as you say. My HK devices were very easy - a camera-scanner, or worst case inputting a device ID. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 22
    dewme said:

That would be a smart move for Apple to acquire companies more tied into the home automation market.
    Nah, not really. That’s like saying Apple should get back into the printers market. While such devices are nice and have value, it’s not Apple’s primary business. They aren’t a HK accessories company. And Dewme is quite incorrect, there are a million HK devices and manufacturers from all the serious players. Google/Nest is the only one that won’t play ball. I have no shortage of switches, outlets, dimmers, bulbs, lights, locks, etc, on HK. There are a million options and I’m not left wanting, Apple doesn’t make first party accessory gadgets because that isn’t their game. Doing so might even spook third parties out of the sector. 
  • Reply 18 of 22
    ds6254ds6254 Posts: 2member
    Where does the Spot fit into this? It’s $130 with 2W speaker, vga camera, and 2.5 in screen.
    edited May 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 22
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,239member

Evolution. Remember when houses only had a single landline phone? In the kitchen? Then people starting putting phones in several rooms.... bedrooms, dens, etc. Remember when homes used to have a single television set in the living room? Then people starting putting TVs in several rooms... bedrooms, dens, kitchens, etc.

These "smart" home devices bring the experience to you, instead of you having to carry around an iPad to every room (unless you do?).

So, you may not want these devices, but many consumers will, because they bring convenience to where life happens.

• Reply 20 of 22
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    AI, from another topic:
    Somehow, people are under the misconceived notion that because they aren't interested in the [insert name of any new tech product here] there is no market for it. If you can't figure out who will buy the new [insert name of any new tech product here], you aren't being thoughtful enough.
    And so it goes.

dewme said:
    Not nearly as cute as the Spot but it definitely has a far more functional screen than does the Spot. It's not a question of whether I will buy one, it's only a question of when. I suspect the answer is "Prime Day 2019" when I suspect these will be discounted to at least $69.99 or possibly lower.
    The Spot was/is a little over priced at $130, but was recently on sale for $90.

On board, it's not if but when. I almost pulled the trigger on the $90 Spot but didn't, and I'm glad. I like this Show 5 and there's a space on my night stand with the 5's name on it. I'll read up some more on it. The Spot is cute (and it reminds me of my Cube speakers) but even at $90, I was on the fence.

A big plus for me would be the ability to illuminate the display as an alarm function, making it increasingly brighter like the many 'sunrise' lamps on the market, with and without an alarm sounding. That may already be a possibility with Alexa and/or IFTTT. So yeah, when not if for me too.

I like the integration with a doorbell camera. I'd like to see somebody make a good door viewer camera. There are some out there but they'er crap. I'd like a door viewer camera that looks like a basic $7 viewer, that could be monitored from a phone or a Show or Spot.
    edited May 2019