Alleged screenshots for Music and TV apps in macOS 10.15 surface

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited September 2019
A set of new screenshots have emerged, with sources familiar with the matter claiming that they are part of new apps for macOS, in what may herald a breaking up of iTunes into discrete apps.

The screenshots have a resemblance to iTunes, as was previously predicted. The screenshots feature the familiar side bar, and media player. However, one set of shots is clearly for an app with video separate from music.

The shots also see the return of color to the sidebar, with gradients and the like.

The screenshots were supplied to 9to5 Mac. AppleInsider cannot vouch for their authenticity.

On Tuesday, new screenshots claimed to show a new "Dark Mode" in iOS 13. A new Reminders app for the iPad was also allegedly exposed.

Apple is expected to debut iOS 13, macOS 10.15, watchOS 6, and tvOS at next week's Worldwide Developers Conference in San Jose, California. Other iOS 13 upgrades should include new health features, and updates to Screen Time, iMessage, and Apple Books.
Harrigan

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    Regardless if if this is real, moving back toward color in the source list makes sense with Marzipan since iOS uses color. 
    Harrigan
  • Reply 2 of 17
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    Marzipan & a new ARM based MacBook might make me buy a new Mac.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    thttht Posts: 5,443member
    What information is really being derived here? It’s just a sidebar and a top tool bar, which is is like standard macOS UI convention for browser based information displays. 
    rogifan_newmdriftmeyer
  • Reply 4 of 17
    AppleishAppleish Posts: 691member
    I want to be able to organize my playlists. Folders would be nice.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    tht said:
    What information is really being derived here? It’s just a sidebar and a top tool bar, which is is like standard macOS UI convention for browser based information displays. 
    Yeah these leaks are kind of pointless. Same with the iOS one yesterday. They don’t really tell us much.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    djames4242djames4242 Posts: 651member
    Appleish said:
    I want to be able to organize my playlists. Folders would be nice.
    I have folders for my playlists in iTunes...

• Reply 7 of 17
    majorslmajorsl Posts: 119unconfirmed, member
    I suspect the screenshots just show an empty library, so you wouldn't see the Playlists until you actually add things.  Aside from that, praise be!  It looks uncluttered and simple.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    That honestly looked like something someone threw together using Interface Builder in Xcode...
  • Reply 9 of 17
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    I have had a love/hate relationship with iTunes for a long time. 

If they have finally separated Podcasts, TV and Movies out it will be a good thing. What would be better is if Apple has improved the way Apple handles metadata. Ask anyone with a large local library of non-iTunes store media. 
    minicoffee
  • Reply 10 of 17
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Will there be a separate program just for podcasts on macOS? Should all audio “products” go through this Music app, including audiobooks? Are audiobooks currently sold through the Books app?
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 11 of 17
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Sulayman on his flying carpet, we’ve only got a week to wait anyway. Why this now?
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Is this the end of iTunes?? 
  • Reply 13 of 17
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    If so, it’s about time.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    If so, it’s about time.
    So says an iTunes hater. For millions upon  millions of iTunes users who are using the app and are satisfied it will mean anger and confusion if iTunes is broken up into separate apps and everything has to be relearned. I personally spent a long time learning how to use the app and I’m perfectly satisfied with it. Once again, it’s only the tech blog comment sections where iTunes is constantly attacked by so-called expert or power users. A pox on all your houses and I predict you and others will be back here bitching about the new apps too if they come to exist. Nothing will satisfy this ilk.
    cornchip
  • Reply 15 of 17
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    iTunes will be the backend haul for everything, while the dedicated apps will be very light based services apps drawing upon the backend provided by iTunes. This way, they can maintain as much of the underpinning code base between Android, Windows and OS X/iOS/tvOS/watchOS.
  • Reply 16 of 17
         As someone who has developed (as a hobby) iOS and Mac apps and pays attention to the 1st party Mac apps, I think that these "screenshots" seem very suspicious. First, notice all of the discrepancies between the two app windows.

First, the title bar, which normally extends completely horizontally, stops at the sidebar in the purported Music app screenshot while it continues in the normal fashion for the purported TV app. More revealingly, there are navigation buttons on the top of the sidebar in the Music app. That simply doesn't make sense from a UX standpoint and Apple is not exactly known for sloppily throwing things together (in fact, Apple has a reputation for quite the opposite).

Second, the search bars are in completely different locations, and they both appear as native AppKit search bars, not the UI search bars that we've seen in the Marzipan apps so far. If they were both in the same location I would be tempted to dismiss this as improvements to Marzipan, however these two suspicious facts about the search bar placement alone seem very... concerning.

Third, certain aspects of the sidebars look like typical macOS sidebars (such as section titling) while others look like Marzipan sidebars. Maybe some massive improvements to Marzipan have been made, but a lack of details in the TV app's "genre" section seem rather odd. Why do only four genres appear? Has the person who posted these mysterious "screenshots" been downloading movies/TV shows in these four categories alone? And if they have, wouldn't they retract those details as well? Something is off here as well.

Fourth, those music controls look suspiciously like they were lifted off of iTunes and airbrushed in a little bit. The entire interface there distinctly clashes with the overall interface of the apps. And the left and right parts of the interface are distinctly different.

And fifth, why retract when the content could have been set to its default state? That could be a sign of authenticity or a lack thereof. This last point is the least conclusive.

In conclusion, though, this seems to almost certainly be a series of false screenshots (and I have a feeling the related iOS screenshots are also fake, although they were posted in a separate 9to5Mac article). We'll see next Monday.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 17 of 17
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
         As someone who has developed (as a hobby) iOS and Mac apps and pays attention to the 1st party Mac apps, I think that these "screenshots" seem very suspicious. First, notice all of the discrepancies between the two app windows.

First, the title bar, which normally extends completely horizontally, stops at the sidebar in the purported Music app screenshot while it continues in the normal fashion for the purported TV app. More revealingly, there are navigation buttons on the top of the sidebar in the Music app. That simply doesn't make sense from a UX standpoint and Apple is not exactly known for sloppily throwing things together (in fact, Apple has a reputation for quite the opposite).

Second, the search bars are in completely different locations, and they both appear as native AppKit search bars, not the UI search bars that we've seen in the Marzipan apps so far. If they were both in the same location I would be tempted to dismiss this as improvements to Marzipan, however these two suspicious facts about the search bar placement alone seem very... concerning.

Third, certain aspects of the sidebars look like typical macOS sidebars (such as section titling) while others look like Marzipan sidebars. Maybe some massive improvements to Marzipan have been made, but a lack of details in the TV app's "genre" section seem rather odd. Why do only four genres appear? Has the person who posted these mysterious "screenshots" been downloading movies/TV shows in these four categories alone? And if they have, wouldn't they retract those details as well? Something is off here as well.

Fourth, those music controls look suspiciously like they were lifted off of iTunes and airbrushed in a little bit. The entire interface there distinctly clashes with the overall interface of the apps. And the left and right parts of the interface are distinctly different.

And fifth, why retract when the content could have been set to its default state? That could be a sign of authenticity or a lack thereof. This last point is the least conclusive.

In conclusion, though, this seems to almost certainly be a series of false screenshots (and I have a feeling the related iOS screenshots are also fake, although they were posted in a separate 9to5Mac article). We'll see next Monday.
    Good call. I had only glanced at these earlier, but they sure as hell looked inconsistent. Looking again after reading your notes, I can easily see why. No way these are shipping looking as inconsistent from each other as this. As they are now, they look like shit as well.

edited May 2019