Review: Microsoft's Surface Pro is the best Windows tablet to get, if you need one

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Abalos65 said:
    I'm disappointed in this review. It reads to me as it is worse, because Windows. If it was a review on the hardware primarily, this would less of a problem. But you only give surface level review of the hardware itself by listing of the specs and in two sentences describing the keyboard and trackpad before delving into the main point of software. There is no mentioning of actual day to day use; things like battery life, performance, how useful the kickstand is , does the pen work better than the Apple pencil etc, etc.
    If you are going to say that the software is worse, because of lack of 'integration' and 'synergy' as your main point, it would benefit the reader if you give at least some examples to support this conclusion. Explaining how this is not possible on Windows, or how the way Windows does it is more cumbersome would convince readers in your conclusions.
    Battery life and performance are discussed, pretty clearly. Integration is also discussed, specifically, how the Surface hardware responds to the pivot. Admittedly, not as much as you'd have liked, though.
    edited June 2019
  • Reply 42 of 46
    bigtdsbigtds Posts: 167member
    xp17 said:
    No, I don't need windows tablet. LOL
    Do you think this was a personal sales pitch made specifically for you?
  • Reply 43 of 46
    bigtdsbigtds Posts: 167member
    So... MicrosoftOutsider now?

With all due respect to Mike (whose content is generally great), there are dozens of places that already provide review content like this.

I am forced to use a Windows machine at work.  AI used to be my escape from all that.
    What's wrong with reviewing hardware from other manufacturers? It's good to see how the competition stacks up.
  • Reply 44 of 46
    thttht Posts: 5,450member
    mac_128 said:
    The ergonomics are no different then using pencil and paper or reading a book on a table, something almost every human being does for most of their formative years, and some their entire lives. It’s no more a problem than any other activity that causes repetive stress injuries.

The medical advice is rather specific to computer usage and to individuals. It’s at best a loose guideline, people should be paying attention to what their body is saying, and don’t try to conform to a device if it makes one uncomfortable. Eg, some people don’t have the right arm joint structure to come in near perpendicular to a keyboard. They shouldn’t and should get a split keyboard that their arms can approach from an angle. With a software keyboard, it’s a matter of changing the layout, which Apple should be working to offer more options too.
    Most people don’t read books laying flat on a table. I can’t think of a more uncomfortable position. Yes, I take notes on paper at a table, but I don’t find I write extensively in that position. In order to use the iPad as a computer replacement as you suggest, it requires continual neck bending and leaning over the table to see the screen, read, type, whatever. Most professional artwork prior to the computer was and still is done on an angled table:  drafting, type layout, drawing — paintings typically on an easel. Even Bob Cratchit used an angled desktop to keep his books. And just because that’s how people once did things on a routine basis — and you’d have to go back the 18th century before the invention of the typewriter — doesn’t mean we should return to that way of doing things. I have a standing desk with the option to sit, my computer monitor is at eye level, and my keyboard and mouse are raised to just under the level of my 90 degree forearms. I can’t imagine working any other way, as I spend hours each day interfacing with the computer. I can’t imagine how much pain I’d be in if my head was bent, hunched over the desk so I could see the iPad display.

I guess this is where we agree to disagree.
    We’re definitely way into opinions instead of data stage here. When you say “most people”, you are thinking about a specific type of reading style, like paperback fiction books, right? Unless I’m 30 years out of date, I think the only way people are reading hardback textbooks are on a table, and there will be a large fraction reading hardback fiction books and large format paperback books on a table. So, hunched over a table reading isn’t uncommon at all imo.

The thing about the ergonomics is that they really are just a loose, very loose, set of guidelines and there isn’t one way to protect your body from RSI. There isn’t one correct posture for everyone, nor is there one correct typing posture, nor one correct pencil holding technique (I’m a lefty with a big curl), nor one correct reading posture. RSI is highly dependent on individual characteristics and the key word is “repetitive”, not posture. After 30 years of tennis, my left arm has no strength left in it. There was nothing wrong with my posture, but repetition, yeah, and our bodies have not evolved to withstand more than 20 years of strenuous or repetitive activity. So, changing posture to break from repetition helps too. I digress.

If using pencil or pen on paper flat on table was really an issue, we would see issues crop up from the kids and adults who do this all the time in school, people who write in notebooks for work, etc. So, to me, it is no worse, no different than using a computer, but you have to pay attention to what your body is telling you.
  • Reply 45 of 46
    KITAKITA Posts: 393member
    chasm said:
    KITA said:
    Interesting timing for the review given the redesigned 2019 version might only be a few months away.
    Let me stop you right there ... the 10nm chips Intel is shipping this year are only the lowest-end and slowest chips in the entire line. The 10nm chips one would use in a Surface or MacBook are coming sometime next year ... maybe ... (and that comes directly from Intel). Given Microsoft's history of iterating the Surface Pro, the next one will continue to be underpowered and overprice compared to iPads and even the lowest-end of MBs. But it will probably have somewhat better graphics, processor and ... years late .. USB-C (gen 1 or gen 2?).

It's not going to move the needle, and the Surface Pro will continue to sell a tiny fraction of what iPads/MBs sell. The overall Surface line does somewhat better, but is only a real competitor to Apple's gear in terms of its very nice, high-quality form factor engineering. The other big problem is that ... Windows tablet mode sucks. There I said it.
    Did you even bother reading my post? Perhaps you simply stopped reading right there.

The 10 nm chips shipping this year are U series processors, the exact same processors that the Surface Pro would use.

The Dell XPS 13 2-in-1 (coming in a few months) is using a 10th gen quad core i7 with Iris Plus graphics and 32 GB of RAM.

To top it off, Microsoft just recently showed new Surface devices at an internal company all-hands for employees.