Apple reveals which Macs will run macOS Catalina

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2020
Users looking to benefit from Apple's forthcoming macOS Catalina innovations will need to have a desktop Mac or MacBook Pro from 2012 or later, or a MacBook from 2015 onwards.

Alongside its reveal of the new macOS Catalina at WWDC 2019, Apple has announced which Macs will be capable of running the updated operating system when it is launched to the public later this year.

A new page called "See if your Mac can run macOS Catalina" has appeared on Apple's website but it isn't entirely clear.

The summary is that 2012 desktop Macs like the Mac mini, iMac, iMac Pro and Mac Pro, or later will be compatible. With notebooks, Apple requires a MacBook Air or MacBook Pro from 2012 or later, or a MacBook from 2015 onwards.

Apple's guide to macOS Catalina compatibility
Apple's guide to macOS Catalina compatibility

However, in the case of the MacBook Pro, there is some uncertainty. While Apple states "MacBook Pro 2012 or later," there were actually two models released that year, one in mid-2012 and another in late-2012.

Each entry on Apple's page, including those for MacBook Pros, includes a Learn More button which takes you through to how you can identify which Mac you've got. This identification page makes no reference to Catalina, though, so we can only presume that this macOS will run on both the "mid-2012" and "late 2012" models.

Apple released the first beta version of macOS Catalina to developers for testing on Monday, with members of the Public Beta Program due to receive the software in July.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    So my late 2013 27” iMac 14,2 will run Catalina but should I upgrade? I was called away from my desk when the macOS announcements were being made. Any mention of Catalina being 64bit only or has Apple kicked that can of worms down the road?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 12
    archienyarchieny Posts: 12member
    lkrupp said:
    So my late 2013 27” iMac 14,2 will run Catalina but should I upgrade? I was called away from my desk when the macOS announcements were being made. Any mention of Catalina being 64bit only or has Apple kicked that can of worms down the road?
    It's 64-bit only, it was announced as expected.
    edited June 2019 caladanianvisualzonewatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 12
    xyzzy01xyzzy01 Posts: 134member
    lkrupp said:
    MacOS has been 64 bit for a while now... I have the same iMac specced to the max, and I've held off on upgrading: The last upgrades have been disappointing. The innards have been upgraded a bit, but no new design (less bezel, bigger screen), a bit behind on networking (no 802.11ax), meh graphics, no HDR on the screen, and no new stuff (T2, FaceID /Touch ID ). Storage also needs a redesign when it comes to what (5400 RPM drives should go out) and pricing.
    visualzone
  • Reply 4 of 12
    jimdreamworxjimdreamworx Posts: 1,095member
    So the video card I bought to run Mojave on my old 2010 Mac Pro won't let me do Catalina.

Not that I'm surprised that a nine-year old computer is finally phased out.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    I guess my 2010 MBP is finally obsolete :(
    welshdogwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 12
    jimh2jimh2 Posts: 617member
    So the video card I bought to run Mojave on my old 2010 Mac Pro won't let me do Catalina.

I am sure someone will devise a workaround.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member

Don’t worry, your Mac Pro should easily handle Catalina. Just wait for the inevitable patch from the genius at http://dosdude1.com/

Apple understandably wants to keep official support to within the 7-8 years for an OS, but typically a 10 year old Mac will easily run the latest version of Mac OS. Well, assuming you upgraded said Mac with an SSD drive and 8GB Ram.

My wife’s 2008 Aluminium MacBook is flying along in Mojave with the patch from them.
    edited June 2019 cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 12
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,296member
    Man that 2012 MBP was the best investment in Apple hardware I have *ever* made.

That said, I will likely leave it at Mojave for a few years to run a few abandonware apps I haven't found a substitute for (nothing vital, but some fun and useful things I like) and get a new(er) machine for my daily driver. I maxed out the 2012 just about as far as it could go (only 1TB SSD though), and it has served me incredibly well for seven full years and could go on longer for many of my usual tasks if I wished.

I definitely got my money's worth out of it, and will continue to do so on at least a casual level for at least another three years, barring mechanical failure. Thanks, Apple!
    visualzonewatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 9 of 12
    visualzonevisualzone Posts: 298member
    I have a late 2014 27" iMac(fully loaded with a 3TB fusion drive) and I doubt I'll upgrade. Not happy with some of the changes( no iTunes, no 32-bit, etc.) in Catalina.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    So my Mac mini will run Catalina. Cool. Although I was thinking of upgrading it soon, but still not too sure whether I need to. Knowing it supports Catalina at least lets me procrastinate further.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 12
    I have a 2012 MacMini Server. I know that 2012 MacMini is on the list but the server version did not make the grade in Mojave, as it did not support the internal raid setup. So has this situation changed for Catalina? Does anybody know the answer to this question?