Apple finally kills vestigial Dashboard in macOS Catalina

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member

nikdim said:
    The screenshot you have in the article shows Launchpad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    No shit. Look closer.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 22 of 53
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member

mrhatken said:
    Worthiness of a feature is not just the number of people who use it but the number of people multiplied by the value they get from it. I believe a significant but admittedly small number of users (like me) got a great deal of value from Dashboard. I will be looking for a third-party alternative if there ever is one... that Apple didn't kill of when it created Dashboard.
    You could more or less recreate it with various apps all in a Space you keep off to the left of your main Space. Or, apps that offer Notification Center widgets in the Today view.
    command_f
  • Reply 23 of 53
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    nikdim said:
    The screenshot you have in the article shows Launchpad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Nice catch. I can’t believe no one else pointed it out and that AI posted it.

lotones said:
    Among other things, I webclipped weather radar of my area and always had a quick live local weather radar view available, one button away.

That was extremely useful. Really going to miss that.
    There are apps for that, just saying.
    There are apps and websites, but a single keyboard button or swiping s mouse cursor to a corner will likely be faster and easier than loading complex apps.
  • Reply 24 of 53
    ednlednl Posts: 61member
    What I'll miss terribly is Calcboard, a free form calculator with functions. One keypress away and with a transparent view of the desktop, to see the numbers I need.
  • Reply 25 of 53
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    R.I.P.
  • Reply 26 of 53
    mindwavesmindwaves Posts: 98member
    Wont be missed by me as it requires one additional swipe left, same as the widgets on iOS which I rarely use, for the very same reason. Now, if we could have pinned some widgets to the desktop, I would have used them a lot more often. I can't believe cannot offer basic pinning abilities.
  • Reply 27 of 53
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    I actually prefer to use Notification Centre rather than Dashboard, but have had to hang on to the latter because I can’t find a unit conversion widget for NC that’s anywhere near as good as the one in Dashboard. Third-party widgets don’t seem to include currency conversion, and It seems currency conversion is only offered by elaborate, dedicated widgets that are constantly updating, when all I need is to occasionally check “How much is that in Canadian?”
  • Reply 28 of 53
    alexonlinealexonline Posts: 241member
    nikdim said:
    What is the screenshot supposed to show? It shows a ? for the Dashboard icon. 

There is no Dashboard anymore, so what were you expecting to see?
    StrangeDaysSolifastasleep
  • Reply 29 of 53
    command_fcommand_f Posts: 421member
    ednl said:
    What I'll miss terribly is Calcboard, a free form calculator with functions. One keypress away and with a transparent view of the desktop, to see the numbers I need.
    Try Command-Space?

Spotlight does lots of calculations these days. Example: sin(pi/2)+sqrt(2) works fine.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 30 of 53
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    proline said:
    Please tell me Stickies.app is still alive?
    No, it’s dead as a door nail. Not sure how to recover my data either. 
    Stickies is still in Catalina.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 31 of 53
    alexonlinealexonline Posts: 241member
    proline said:
    Stickies is still in Catalina.
    Great news!
  • Reply 32 of 53
    I’ll never understand why Dashboard wasn’t more widely used. Three finger swipe; I see at a glance:
    • The weather forecast at home; at the lake; at my best friend’s house 220 miles away
    • Times zones for the three people I’m most likely to FaceTime abroad
    • My pending deliveries
    • My stock prices
    • iStat
    I see nothing that replaces this functionally. Notification Center doesn’t cut it: I see far less info; I must scroll and click to see less than what I currently get with a swipe and a glance into Dashboard.

It’s a mistake to abandon Dashboard, but perhaps not a mistake Apple made. It seems that the Mac community abandoned it long ago. It seems there is actual contempt for Dashboard (which is ridiculous.)
    lotones
  • Reply 33 of 53
    neilmneilm Posts: 985member
    proline said:
    WHAT? They even updated it to 64bit last time, or at least I recall checking to make sure it would make the 32bit cut.

I kinda joke about it, but it's literally one of those legacy apps I use ALL THE TIME and every year I quickly check to find out if it's been axed. I figured the 64bit version meant it was here to stay.
    I use it all the time too, both for myself and to leave notes for people after I've worked on their Macs at the office. Since Stickies is 64-bit (and it is), perhaps it might be transferred manually to Catalina? Might be an issue with app signing though.
    edited June 2019 fastasleep
  • Reply 34 of 53
    mindwaves said:
    Wont be missed by me as it requires one additional swipe left, same as the widgets on iOS which I rarely use, for the very same reason. Now, if we could have pinned some widgets to the desktop, I would have used them a lot more often. I can't believe cannot offer basic pinning abilities.
    It doesn't require a swipe left. You had it set as its own space.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 35 of 53
    I’ll never understand why Dashboard wasn’t more widely used. Three finger swipe; I see at a glance:
    • The weather forecast at home; at the lake; at my best friend’s house 220 miles away
    • Times zones for the three people I’m most likely to FaceTime abroad
    • My pending deliveries
    • My stock prices
    • iStat
    I see nothing that replaces this functionally. Notification Center doesn’t cut it: I see far less info; I must scroll and click to see less than what I currently get with a swipe and a glance into Dashboard.

It’s a mistake to abandon Dashboard, but perhaps not a mistake Apple made. It seems that the Mac community abandoned it long ago. It seems there is actual contempt for Dashboard (which is ridiculous.)
    I have paid for the Deliveries app on macOS and iOS, but still use their free Dashbaord widget the most. I'm always surprised that they keep updating their widget. I think their last update to the widget was just a few weeks ago.
    FelixMendeldog
  • Reply 36 of 53
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    I will miss the world clock/weather.  iStatPro was great back when I needed it, but mainly use other things now for that function.  It is a shame Apple didn’t put more energy into it, but the way it has been it is likely best for it to die off.
  • Reply 37 of 53
    I'm seeing enough interest in Dashboard that I wouldn't be surprised if a 3rd-party option doesn't step in to take up the mantle.
  • Reply 38 of 53
    wozwozwozwoz Posts: 263member
    How can we continue to use Apple's Converter App (which converts lengths, currencies etc). It is really cool and easy to use.
  • Reply 39 of 53
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    The only thing I really ever used it for was SlothCam. I found all sorts of cams from around the world and opened multiple windows showing Tokyo, the Giza Pyramids, etc... It was fun to see all those places live at the same time.

Of course I still pine away for SeeUSeeMe and the guy who pointed his camera out his window towards the NY Thruway back in the mid 90s. Nothing like the 8-bit greyscale rendition of headlights at night!

It was all fun but I don't miss it and routinely turn off Dashboard for people.
    CU-SeeMe... now there’s a name out of the past.
  • Reply 40 of 53
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    Soli said:
    nikdim said:
    Nice catch. I can’t believe no one else pointed it out and that AI posted it.

This is Launchpad, yes. Note what the red square is surrounding.
    fastasleep