Developers talk about being 'Sherlocked' as Apple uses them 'for market research'

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 68
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    mattspace said:
    If you can't build a business on doing that as a product, rather than a service, maybe you don't actually have a business.
    Which is the plight of just about every iOS and iPAD OS developer. This is because 90% of iOS users want Photoshop and Logic level apps for $0.99 to $4.99.

I see so many people whining when some developer releases an app for$19.99 or more.

Writing a app is time consuming and time is money. Supporting that app after sale is time consuming and time is money.

A Store app can be used on any purchaser's authorized computer, compared to some non-Store apps that will only function on one machine and need additional fees to operate on multiple machines.

The two methods are different business models and well see the former become more prevalent as time goes on.

• Reply 62 of 68
    PCalc for IPhone Now Sports Profanity Filter “If you've never been exposed to the 5318008 flip trick, than count yourself as lucky. Those of us more experienced with the 8008's and heartbreaks know all too well why a calculator profanity filter is long overdue. The new feature is simple: If an unsuspecting mathematician types in a number that might look like a tasteless word when the calculator is flipped upside-down, PCalc will "discreetly" censor that word, saving you from the horror of inflicting yourself--or others--with inadvertent smut.“
  • Reply 63 of 68
    gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:
    Developers compete with Apple by making their products better than Apple’s. Apple’s products usually provide just enough functionality to be useful. We hear from users here all the time about how superior some app is to Apple’s offering. And as the article points out, these developers saw this coming a mile away and were prepared for it.
    Apparently Luna wasn't having misread Apple's intent when they asked for a demo and for a number of Luna dongles. We've had a few AI articles here over the years about developers or small techs being invited to Apple's home as tho a potential partnership or big order is in the works only to find out later it was nothing of the sort. I would imagine most big companies are like this with the small fry. 

As a business owner myself I've learned to be cautious when big companies ask for in-depth explanations and sample of my products while leaving the impression they are a potential customer or partner.  I've been Sherlocked myself in the past and it's not a warm fuzzy feeling when you anticipate business from a supposed friendly company only to find it was all about competing with you to begin with. It's part of the game, big dogs get fatter, most of us stay lean, but business is all about the profit and can be cutthroat. In general there are no friends, only temporary associates.

If you're doing well someone you know will want to be in your pockets if not snatch your pants off altogether. 

Or it could be that Apple was legitimately interested in some kind of partnership/acquisition but found the tech underwhelming after an in-depth evaluation. 

Many startups overly inflate their product’s excellence.

• Reply 64 of 68
    civaciva Posts: 78member
    So, let me get this straight, Let's say target, or walmart, or some grocery store has you put items in their store. They're doing market research, and they might introduce their own brand of a best selling product. 
    Apple is doing nothing different than any other retailer. 
  • Reply 65 of 68
    kwasrdmkwasrdm Posts: 1member
    This has been happening way before then android and iOS have been stealing developers code from jailbreakers for a long time! I am amazed there hasn’t been a class action lawsuit! At least give credit where it’s due!
  • Reply 66 of 68
    robabarobaba Posts: 228member
    Hidden APIs that are only there to run a 3rd party innovator out of business is textbook anticompetitive behavior and Apple needs to shut that shit down before the get a consent decree shoved down their throats.
  • Reply 67 of 68
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    civa said:
    So, let me get this straight, Let's say target, or walmart, or some grocery store has you put items in their store. They're doing market research, and they might introduce their own brand of a best selling product. 
    Apple is doing nothing different than any other retailer. 
    But mum, all the other kids are shoplifting too!