avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    The Mate X is ready to go but market conditions are not appropriate. Three months won't change much in key areas of the design but from a marketing perspective, if the market conditions change, a September launch will have far more impact than a June launch.

More months for testing is a valid justification (especially as there is no real competition at the moment) and avoids them having to mention component bans etc.

Three months could come in very handy though for testing Ark OS on the device.
    Holy shit, the Wall Scum anal-yst market spin drivel is strong with this one!!!
    Perhaps you are unaware of the market conditions I mentioned. There is little or nothing to gain in releasing now.

No competition.
    Component supply issues.
    Government regulatory issues.
    Potential new OS to test.

Moving to September (conditions permitting) will pit the X (and the Mate 30 series) against the Note 10 and the iPhone 2019 refresh. That makes far more sense from a marketing perspective as neither Apple nor Samsung are likely to have folding options and Apple almost certainly won't have a 5G option (and 5G marketing will be a fever pitch by Christmas).

"5G marketing will be at a fever pitch".

Now might be the time to check your temperature...
    Take a look of which countries have gone live on 5G recently. Vodafone Spain has just begun its 5G marketing push. There are signs all over Barcelona already. By the end of the year coverage will be spreading fast and marketing will be right there with it.

Yes. In the run up to the Christmas season, 5G marketing will be fever pitch.
    My point is that very few people are going to miss out on 5G by waiting another year to purchase a phone. 

So, I would ask, will you be buying a new Honor phone this Christmas just for 5G?

Precisely the job of marketing is to try and convince you otherwise. To achieve that goal they will campaign. Campaigning will reach a peak in the run up to Christmas.

You failed to answer my question;

As someone posting at AI that has been vocal in the benefits of 5G, will you be an early adopter and purchase a Huawei / Honor phone at Christmas, or, as I have noted, are you just a cheerleader?

It's the concept of eating your own dog food; put up or shut up.

I will be buying this fall's rumored triple lens iPhone, and I'm not in the least concerned about 5G, considering it today to be nothing but hype.
    I am set for at least another year with my Honor 10. My area has no 5G coverage at present but the 5G roll out here will be far, far faster than with 4G. To give you an idea, I believe 5G will reach 50% of the Spanish population by year end.

Of course, the 5G marketing campaign will be raging around me all the same. That was the point, remember.
    "To give you an idea, I believe 5g will reach 50% of the Spanish population by year end"

Bullshit.

https://www.sdxcentral.com/articles/news/vodafone-and-telefonica-get-nod-for-spanish-5g-pilots/2019/05/

Spain will barely have enabled a small number of pilot projects by year's end.

Sure looks like Apple will be fine delivering 5G in the fall of 2020. 
    edited June 2019 docno42
  • Reply 42 of 86
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    The Mate X is ready to go but market conditions are not appropriate. Three months won't change much in key areas of the design but from a marketing perspective, if the market conditions change, a September launch will have far more impact than a June launch.

More months for testing is a valid justification (especially as there is no real competition at the moment) and avoids them having to mention component bans etc.

Perhaps you are unaware of the market conditions I mentioned. There is little or nothing to gain in releasing now.

No competition.
    Component supply issues.

Moving to September (conditions permitting) will pit the X (and the Mate 30 series) against the Note 10 and the iPhone 2019 refresh. That makes far more sense from a marketing perspective as neither Apple nor Samsung are likely to have folding options and Apple almost certainly won't have a 5G option (and 5G marketing will be a fever pitch by Christmas).

Take a look of which countries have gone live on 5G recently. Vodafone Spain has just begun its 5G marketing push. There are signs all over Barcelona already. By the end of the year coverage will be spreading fast and marketing will be right there with it.

My point is that very few people are going to miss out on 5G by waiting another year to purchase a phone. 

So, I would ask, will you be buying a new Honor phone this Christmas just for 5G?

Precisely the job of marketing is to try and convince you otherwise. To achieve that goal they will campaign. Campaigning will reach a peak in the run up to Christmas.

As someone posting at AI that has been vocal in the benefits of 5G, will you be an early adopter and purchase a Huawei / Honor phone at Christmas, or, as I have noted, are you just a cheerleader?

I will be buying this fall's rumored triple lens iPhone, and I'm not in the least concerned about 5G, considering it today to be nothing but hype.
    I am set for at least another year with my Honor 10. My area has no 5G coverage at present but the 5G roll out here will be far, far faster than with 4G. To give you an idea, I believe 5G will reach 50% of the Spanish population by year end.

Of course, the 5G marketing campaign will be raging around me all the same. That was the point, remember.
    "To give you an idea, I believe 5g will reach 50% of the Spanish population by year end"

Bullshit.

https://www.sdxcentral.com/articles/news/vodafone-and-telefonica-get-nod-for-spanish-5g-pilots/2019/05/

The statement that a cellular radio will reach x% of a population can be measured in so many ways that it's ridiculous without a buttload of qualifiers and clarification.
  • Reply 43 of 86
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,696member
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    I've seen one of these folding iWannabes break during a demo haha! The video is out there somewhere.

avon b7 said:

The official Huawei spokesperson has spoken. Thanks for the facts bro.

avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

No competition.
    Component supply issues.

"No competition"

An SNL skit couldn't make this up....

Firstly. The CEO of Huawei's Consumer Business Unit (not a spokesman) said the Mate X could ship 'tomorrow' if need be (this was before Trump's executive order). 

Secondly. The Mate X has already been in the hands of select media outlets for early evaluation - without any of the issues that affected the Fold.

If they have decided to delay the roll out for testing, try to put that into perspective. Try to apply a minimum of common sense and reach a conclusion as to why they are delaying the launch by three months.

That's what I did. No more. No less.

Thirdly: "no competition" - please enlighten me as to where the competition is. Right now, there isn't any and that is precisely why they can re-plan but this time taking into account current realities. Realities that simply weren't there when the original launch window was set.

You might consider changing your AI moniker to Huawei PR b7. 
    It's far removed from PR. I said from the start that folding phones would have to prove themselves in the market in terms of durability. The initial efforts will live or die by that factor alone although there are others. That applies to Huawei too.

The difference, with regards to some others, is that I just don't automatically assume this delay is related to the Samsung style issues and have pointed out where they might be. That's not PR, it's balance and common sense.

If there are doubts, and I do have some, they are related to other issues. That is because the issue of the fold itself requires real world use and we have to wait for that. For example the Mate X is an expensive flagship in a new generation of folding phones. This delay will see it ship (conditions permitting) after the release of the next Kirin SoC. That SoC might have an onboard Balong 5000 (no one knows at present) which is a marketing problem IMO as the Mate X is due to ship with the current Kirin SoC.

• Reply 44 of 86
    avon b7 said:
    I've seen one of these folding iWannabes break during a demo haha! The video is out there somewhere.

avon b7 said:

avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

No competition.
    Component supply issues.

"No competition"

Firstly. The CEO of Huawei's Consumer Business Unit (not a spokesman) said the Mate X could ship 'tomorrow' if need be (this was before Trump's executive order). 

Secondly. The Mate X has already been in the hands of select media outlets for early evaluation - without any of the issues that affected the Fold.

If they have decided to delay the roll out for testing, try to put that into perspective. Try to apply a minimum of common sense and reach a conclusion as to why they are delaying the launch by three months.

Thirdly: "no competition" - please enlighten me as to where the competition is. Right now, there isn't any and that is precisely why they can re-plan but this time taking into account current realities. Realities that simply weren't there when the original launch window was set.

"No competition" as a reason to NOT sell a product?

My goodness that has to be the worst excuse I've ever seen.
    No. It is the opposite, in fact.

The Mate X was supposed to go up against the Galaxy Fold. That is competition. With the Fold delayed, the plan was to simply continue with the original roll out but then came the Trump executive order and the fallout.

Now the Mate X release has been put back and there are many possible reasons/advantages to this. I outlined some of them but Huawei wants to take the spotlight away from competitors and this delay will put the Mate X firmly into tech media news throughout the rollout of the next Samsung and Apple flagships.

They hope to 'steal the show' as it were and as competitors will have little or nothing in the same line (that's the 'no competition') it won't be difficult to pull off.

On top of that the Mate 30 Series will also go head to head with the Note 10 and the new iPhone at the same time. Conditions permitting of course. 

AppleExposed
  • Reply 45 of 86
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:

avon b7 said:

avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

No competition.
    Component supply issues.

"No competition"

It's far removed from PR. I said from the start that folding phones would have to prove themselves in the market in terms of durability. The initial efforts will live or die by that factor alone although there are others. That applies to Huawei too.

The difference, with regards to some others, is that I just don't automatically assume this delay is related to the Samsung style issues and have pointed out where they might be. That's not PR, it's balance and common sense.

But but with no competition how is anyone supposed to release a foldable phone?!!?!

These foldable phones are just rushing to market because Apple patented this years ago. Reminds me of the edge display failure and the galaxy gear watch failure.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 46 of 86
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    avon b7 said:

avon b7 said:

avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

No competition.
    Component supply issues.

"No competition"

The company is being “cautious” after multiple build-quality issues surfaced around initial review units of the Galaxy Fold. The spokesperson said Huawei doesn’t “want to launch a product to destroy our reputation.”

So this statement is a lie?  They don't want issues to hurt their reputation?    That seems completely reasonable to me after what happened with Samsung.

It also seems that these units haven't been in the hands of many reviewers at all, aside from the initial controlled hands on.
    edited June 2019 AppleExposed
  • Reply 47 of 86
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

No competition.
    Component supply issues.

Bullshit.

I was speaking from memory, hence the term 'I believe'. 

I just checked and I was mixing two different statements.

Here is the Vodafone press statement (in Spanish):

http://www.saladeprensa.vodafone.es/c/notas-prensa/np_5g_comercial/

The 50% reference is 50% of the population, but of the fifteen initial cities, not all of Spain.

The population of Spain is largely compacted in the major cities.

Just with the Vodafone rollout that is a huge amount of potential users - at launch! Millions.

From there, coverage will be widened progressively.

Now, if we move onto your Google search, results and rushed conclusion, it is incorrect because you failed to catch specific details.

Vodafone's 5G commercial offering goes live tomorrow.

• Reply 48 of 86
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:

avon b7 said:

avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

No competition.
    Component supply issues.

"No competition"

But but with no competition how is anyone supposed to release a foldable phone?!!?!

These foldable phones are just rushing to market because Apple patented this years ago. Reminds me of the edge display failure and the galaxy gear watch failure.
    You lost me there. No one is saying they won't release a folding phone. The question is releasing at the most appropriate time for maximum effect.
  • Reply 49 of 86
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,342member
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

No competition.
    Component supply issues.

Bullshit.

The 50% reference is 50% of the population, but of the fifteen initial cities, not all of Spain.

Just with the Vodafone rollout that is a huge amount of potential users - at launch! Millions.

Now, if we move onto your Google search, results and rushed conclusion, it is incorrect because you failed to catch specific details.

What you are stating is that 50% of Spain's population is within the areas served by the pilot projects, which is a long way from serving 50% of the population on a daily basis. I don't think that Vodafone's single commercial offering will actually serve much of a geographical area, hence, not much of the population on a daily basis. Pretty much what one would expect of a pilot project in any country.

Your statement is a prime example of the hype behind 5G, not the reality of it.
    AppleExposedmelgrossStrangeDays
  • Reply 50 of 86
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    Soli said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

No competition.
    Component supply issues.

Bullshit.

The statement that a cellular radio will reach x% of a population can be measured in so many ways that it's ridiculous without a buttload of qualifiers and clarification.
    AT&T has already reached tens of millions of Americans with 5Ge!
  • Reply 51 of 86
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member

avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:

avon b7 said:

avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

No competition.
    Component supply issues.

"No competition"

You lost me there. No one is saying they won't release a folding phone. The question is releasing at the most appropriate time for maximum effect.
    You can view that in different ways. If there's no competition when you release a product, you have the market cornered. The flip side is that if there's no foreseeable competition, you can delay the release of a product by a few months without compromising the advantage of being the only product with said feature. Lack of competition is not so much a reason to delay a product as it is a lack of a drawback to delaying it.
  • Reply 52 of 86
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,342member

avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:

avon b7 said:

avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

No competition.
    Component supply issues.

"No competition"

A more accurate scenario would be that Huawei was forced to rush its product to compete with Samsung's release, and when Samsung failed, Huawei had the opportunity to properly finish up the Mate X. 

If it's finished today, there isn't any reason for Huawei not market it, hence, it isn't finished.

Your PR spins does you no favors.

AppleExposedStrangeDays
  • Reply 53 of 86
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

No competition.
    Component supply issues.

Bullshit.

What you are stating is that 50% of Spain's population is within the areas served by the pilot projects, which is a long way from serving 50% of the population on a daily basis. I don't think that Vodafone's single commercial offering will actually serve much of a geographical area, hence, not much of the population on a daily basis. Pretty much what one would expect of a pilot project in any country.

Your statement is a prime example of the hype behind 5G, not the reality of it.
    No! These are not pilot projects. This is the Vodafone commercial roll out. The pilots were last year! In fact the pilots are mentioned in the press release (under the term 'pre-commercial')

Anyway, I gave you the Vodafone press release. It is crystal clear (even if you Google translate it).

I will translate a snippet:

"Con el lanzamiento comercial de 5G en España, Vodafone consolida su liderazgo en red móvil y pone a disposición de sus Clientes de contrato la conexión 5G márápida. La cobertura 5G en el lanzamiento, con especial foco en los centros urbanos y empresariales, alcanza aproximadamente al 50% de la población de las 15 ciudades incluidas y se continuará actualizando de forma progresiva."

English (my bold):

"With the launch of commercial 5G in Spain, Vodafone has consolidated its lead in mobile networks and makes the fastest 5G connection available to its contract customers.

5G coverage at launch, with special emphasis on urban and business areas, reaches approximately 50% of the population of the fifteen cities included [in the launch] and will continue to widen progressively"

I have translated that as literally as possible so you don't try to claim I am distorting anything by translating it into a more polished form.
  • Reply 54 of 86
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:

avon b7 said:

avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

No competition.
    Component supply issues.

"No competition"

Maximum effect would be when there's no competition.....
  • Reply 55 of 86
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:

avon b7 said:

avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

No competition.
    Component supply issues.

"No competition"

Maximum effect would be when there's no competition.....
    As I said, in September there will be little or no competition for the Mate X product (nor in June) but if the release can take some off the spotlight of competitors into the bargain, then it's a win for marketing. The same would apply even if the Fold saw a pre-Christmas release (because Huawei's plan was to go head to head with the Fold anyway - they think the Mate X is a better approach to the folding phone).
  • Reply 56 of 86
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 434member
    maestro64 said:
    So where is all the fake outrage Samsung fail yet again, which should not be any surprise. All you hear from the tech media is how daring and forward thinking Samsung is and they are pushing the outer limits of what can be done so it is not really a failure.

I tend to agree to the point, except when you tell everyone the product is done we done all the testing and take people money. Ops it falls apart and they are not going to ship you a product and AT&T saying you're not getting your money back but we will give you an AT&T gift card you can use to buy other A&T stuff. Where is all the outrage from our outrage society we live in today. Where are the lawsuit, why aren't people demanding their product they ordered.
    Apparently AT&T are offering a refund. The gift card is ‘in addition to’. 
  • Reply 57 of 86
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    sflocal said:
    maestro64 said:
    So where is all the fake outrage Samsung fail yet again, which should not be any surprise. All you hear from the tech media is how daring and forward thinking Samsung is and they are pushing the outer limits of what can be done so it is not really a failure.

I tend to agree to the point, except when you tell everyone the product is done we done all the testing and take people money. Ops it falls apart and they are not going to ship you a product and AT&T saying you're not getting your money back but we will give you an AT&T gift card you can use to buy other A&T stuff. Where is all the outrage from our outrage society we live in today. Where are the lawsuit, why aren't people demanding their product they ordered.
    If Apple did this screwup, there would already be several class-action lawsuits lined up.
    Yes, Apple is held to a higher standard than other electronics vendors.
    Even a minor problem makes front page headline news.

I think it actually holds them back because the simply aren't allowed to make a mistake.

And, Huawei, because of Trump's propaganda attacks on the company, has entered that same arena:   Everything they do is scrutinized and even a tiny mistake would be made into a mountain.
  • Reply 58 of 86
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Are you people serious? All this talk of waiting for Apple to “do it right”... You actually want Apple to go with this particular pathological tech idea? It’s not a good idea. It was never a good idea. It will probably never be a good idea for reasons of basic physics.
  • Reply 59 of 86
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:

avon b7 said:

avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

No competition.
    Component supply issues.

"No competition"

If there are doubts, and I do have some, they are related to other issues. That is because the issue of the fold itself requires real world use and we have to wait for that. For example the Mate X is an expensive flagship in a new generation of folding phones. This delay will see it ship (conditions permitting) after the release of the next Kirin SoC. That SoC might have an onboard Balong 5000 (no one knows at present) which is a marketing problem IMO as the Mate X is due to ship with the current Kirin SoC.

A company announces a new type of product. A type thatvmany see has bein difficult to produce. Another company announces a simile app product , and gives them out to reviewers and writers a month. Or so, before release. That product quickly runs into severe problems relating whatvthecproduct’svtechnologybis. The company puts the release back because of those problems, several times. The other company then states, and yes they did, they they too are delaying their similar product. Why? Because of some unrelated reasons? No, because they carefully evaluated what happened to their competitor, and got cold feet about their own introduction. So they’re going to look at their product and tear it apart to see what they likely missed in the design or materials that might also result in embarrassing publicity.

thats why it was withdrawn. It’s also what happens when two companies try to rush out a product in some misguided attempt to get ahead of the herd.

so, there’s the same interesting question we’re thinking about with Samsung: Why wasn’t this major flaw caught in beta product testing before they were sent out for review, and imminent release, with at least, hundreds of thousands already being produced for all of those advance orders? Now, I’ll admit that because Huawei quickly decided to not release this, and hadn’t yet sent any out for public review, we don’t know if there’s a fatal flaw like that of samsung’s. But I can’t imagine the screen on the outside design being reliable and scratch resistant for very long.
    StrangeDaystmay
  • Reply 60 of 86
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member

avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

No competition.
    Component supply issues.

Bullshit.

Except that, like most announcements of this type, it’s mostly hype. It’s like Verizon’s introduction of 5G here. In theory, millions are within some sort of reception zone, certain;y according the van. But the reality, as shown by those who have been testing it, almost no one can receive those signals because of the reception difficulties. And as we know, most 5G will always rely on 4G services. That’s not going away. So when it’s said that 5G will be available, what does it really mean? When AT&T announced their version of 5G, which was really available 4G, they were denounced for it, and I suppose they should have been. But the thing about it is that those services are the ones 5G will be using from 4G. So, in a certain sense, it is, kinda sorta, a 5G implementation.
    tmay