Apple updates 13-inch MacBook Pro, adding Touch Bar to entire range

Comments

• Reply 41 of 62
    imagladryimagladry Posts: 105member
    A pro laptop with only 256gb or SSD memory? and only on the top end model? Seriously? my MBP from 2013 has 512gb. There is no way I would buy a laptop with 1/2 the storage of my current laptop. I'm already moving files off to keep the current mahcine a functional machine. If I remember correctly my MBP was a $1.3k machine. I guess people are suppose to rely on Thunderbolt. Stuff hanging of a laptop that are constantly being moved around.is just asking for trouble when externals all too often gets unplugged.
  • Reply 42 of 62
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    xxx
    edited July 2019
  • Reply 43 of 62
    All I want is a redesigned, updated iMac with thin bezel and the T2 chip. Apple is still holding out on that update. 7 years will the same old design.
    Apple doesn’t do change for chsnge’s sake. The iMac design is excellent, a modern day classic. It does exactly what it’s supposed to. They won’t redesign the case just to alleviate your boredom in life. 
    doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 62
    avon b7 said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    avon b7 said:
    Also only 8GB RAM standard. 240€ to bump it to 16GB. That is supremely disappointing.

No one here believes you were going to buy one anyway. 
    Well I was itching for the 2016 MBP refresh but was forced to stay well away as Apple produced the anti-Mac.

Glued together, over priced, lacking expandability, dodgy keyboard but thin!

I have two stalwart laptops to keep me going until Apple gets things right again!

But, what on earth does your comment have to do with the paltry stock RAM offering?

Nothing.
    Suuuure you were. Hey why not post some links to that chinese knockoff you’ve been talking about for years? Looks just like an MBP and has a similar name. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 62
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Why are people complaining about storage they can upgrade?

I'm sure Apple knows what they are doing. The lowest option most likely sells well. Students, people who store files externally, authors etc. need these. If they weren't selling well Apple would have discontinued them.
    doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 62
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,665member
    xxx
    Kisses?

No. Your deleted comment was far off the mark.

In October 2018, the baseline SSD storage of the (very non-pro) Air was 128GB. A decade later it is the same on a 2019 MacBook Pro. 

IMO, this really is a poor showing (along with 8GB of stock RAM).

I would gladly live without the Touch Bar in exchange 16GB of RAM.
    edited July 2019 chemengin1
  • Reply 47 of 62
    zimmiezimmie Posts: 651member
    1.4Ghz on a Pro is a joke too
    The nominal speed doesn't matter. Modern Intel processors can clock themselves up as long as they have the electrical and thermal capacity to do so. Plug it into the wall and blow cold air through it, and this chip will run at 3.9 GHz all day long. The 2.4 GHz nominal chip in the four-port 13" MBP can clock itself up to 4.1 GHz. 71% higher nominal speed, but only 5% higher top speed.

The real question is how long it can run at top speed without taking extraordinary steps like external cold air blowers. What is the TDP of the chip, and what is the capacity of the system's cooling solution? The 13" four-port MBP has two fans. The 13" two-port, non-Touch Bar MBP had a single fan. We'll learn more when one of these new two-port Touch Bar MBPs is disassembled.
    doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 62
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    Well that confirms Apple is replacing the chasis next year, and they will probably sell these models alongside it.
  • Reply 49 of 62
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,570member
    So this update should be called the T-Update. Due to the new Touch ID, TouchBar, True Tone, and T2 chip.
    apple ][JWSCmacplusplusdoozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 62
    The low-end 13" MBP are still using the low-power 15W processors vs 28W for the higher-end (AKA true) 13" MBP.
    Is that confirmed? It wouldn't surprise me, but I haven't been able to find anything about the Iris Plus 645 or a 1.4 GHz nominal quad-core processor in Ark.

If it is confirmed, that's still a fair step up in total throughput potential from the Retina MacBook Air's 8210Y at 7W.
    doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 62
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    tht said:
    spheric said:
    welshdog said:
    ziadjk said:
    I personally have yet to meet anyone who likes the touchbar..
    Well, we haven't met.
    So that makes nine or ten of us so far, alone in this thread. 
    I like the one on my 2018 MBP15 too. So, +1. No real problems with the keyboard either. Maybe my biggest complaints are that it isn’t force touch sensitive and it isn’t configurable enough.

I think it will only get larger (like 1” tall, 2” tall, ...) and eventually it will just be a second display for content. Who knows, it may become an iPad display size.
    Get BetterTouchTool and you can build your own buttons. 
    doozydozen
  • Reply 52 of 62
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    Apple has just updated the MacBook Pro range, bringing Touch Bar, Touch ID, T2 and True Tone to all models, along with faster processors.
    This article is confusing as hell. Apple didn’t update the “range”, or “bring” all those things to all models, they just replaced the low end 13” MacBook Pro with Function Keys. No mention of the fact these are still distinct low end MBPs with only two TB3 ports, lower wattage processor, and presumably single fan cooling and removable storage as in the previous Escape models, if those aspects stayed the same. The entire range of “real” MBP line was updated in May, so nothing was “brought” to those models, just the formerly-Function model which hadn’t been updated since 2017.
  • Reply 53 of 62
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    AppleExposed said:
    The function keys are still there if you want them
    Of course. Your comment ignores the context of my remark, which was a response to asking who might still want them.

AppleExposed said:
    I don't remember using them when I ran Pro Tools.
    Then you were a mouser. Changing modes (slip, shuffle, spot) is done with function keys.

• Reply 54 of 62
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    > 128GB SSD storage

They should be ashamed of themselves for continuing to sell a laptop with only 128GB storage. It's not 2005 anymore.

edited July 2019 javacowboy
  • Reply 55 of 62
    doozydozendoozydozen Posts: 539member
    ktappe said:
    > 128GB SSD storage

They should be ashamed of themselves for continuing to sell a laptop with only 128GB storage. It's not 2005 anymore.

The MacBook Pro did not exist in 2005, lol. The 2008 MacBook Air was the first Mac to get an option for SSD. 64GB option cost $1300 on top of the base price. Third party vendors sold 1TB options for over $4K at the time. The 2006 MBP had 80GB, 100GB, 120GB HDD. Even today SSDs cost more than 5 times the price of HDDs. Your remark is so dumb it hurts to read. 
    fastasleep
  • Reply 56 of 62
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    ziadjk said:
    I personally have yet to meet anyone who likes the touchbar..
    Have you met anyone who likes function keys?
    Yes, users of Avid Pro Tools. Common functions make extensive use of the function keys.
    Interesting. Logic Pro is way more flexible with the TouchBar. I really, really like the TouchBar there. I just wish I could set it to default to a specific display mode (e.g. have it show transport keys by default). 

The moment Apple finally bring an external keyboard with TouchBar, I’m buying it for the studio, instantly.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 57 of 62
    The low-end 13" MBP are still using the low-power 15W processors vs 28W for the higher-end (AKA true) 13" MBP.
    Looks like this is now confirmed. The 13" two-port MBP is believed to use the i5-8257U. The specs match up with Apple's claims, and it is a 15W part. That means this MBP probably still has one fan. We'll see for sure when there's a teardown.

The raw benchmark scores seen so far put it on-par with the 2.4 GHz "true" 13" MBP (maybe 5% slower). The question now is how long that performance can be sustained with the stock cooler without exceptional measures.
  • Reply 58 of 62
    McJobs said:
    A premium Pro laptop with 128GB of soldered storage is a joke in 2019.
    Except it's not "premium". This is the entry-level model.
  • Reply 59 of 62
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    McJobs said:
    For Apple’s line-up. 

It’s still three times what most people seem to spend on a new laptop. 
  • Reply 60 of 62
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,665member
    McJobs said:
    I think all MBPs are deemed to be premium, even when 'entry level'.