Apple quietly pulls 12-inch MacBook from sale

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    BombdoeBombdoe Posts: 56member
    jcc said:
    Once again Cook shows that he doesn't know anything about product. Steve would have had this portable lineup:

MacBook 12"
    MacBook Pro 13" Touch bar
    MacBook 14"
    MacBook Pro 15" Touch bar

It means there's a flavor for everyone from 12" all the way up to 15". NO 16"!!!
    I've been reading this site for years and during Jobs'day there was constant bleating here about  the lineup on offer and what people wanted and what they were not being offered by Jobs/Apple. 
  • Reply 22 of 30
    Such great news!!!

Into the bin you go. Terrible hateful little machine. 

So glad it's dead. Long live the MacBook Air
  • Reply 23 of 30
    starwarsstarwars Posts: 72member
    jcc said:
    Once again Cook shows that he doesn't know anything about product. Steve would have had this portable lineup:

MacBook 12"
    MacBook 14"

It means there's a flavor for everyone from 12" all the way up to 15". NO 16"!!!
    a touch screen would be much more welcomed than touch bar in which is pretty useless.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    gbdocgbdoc Posts: 83member
    Just want to add one more voice of dismay. A 12" Mac is a good size for those of us who carry it around, enough screen and a useful keyboard; bigger is not better. I hope such a machine will be available again, perhaps with even more capability.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    jcc said:

MacBook 12"
    MacBook 14"

Nope.  Enough of the Steve Jobs’ would have could haves.  Steve was all about killing off useless products.  MacBook and MacBook Pro was all that was needed. Prior to that, iBook and PowerBook.  On the desktop front, iMac and Power Mac, later as the iMac and Mac Pro.   Now it has become a convoluted mess.  The MacBook was always the entry level laptop.   The MacBook 12” was overpriced, underpowered, and lacked ports compared to the less expensive Air and Pro.  No wonder Apple killed it.  
  • Reply 26 of 30
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    jcc said:

MacBook 12"
    MacBook 14"

Nope.  Enough of the Steve Jobs’ would have could haves.  Steve was all about killing off useless products.  MacBook and MacBook Pro was all that was needed. Prior to that, iBook and PowerBook.  On the desktop front, iMac and Power Mac, later as the iMac and Mac Pro.   Now it has become a convoluted mess.  The MacBook was always the entry level laptop.   The MacBook 12” was overpriced, underpowered, and lacked ports compared to the less expensive Air and Pro.  No wonder Apple killed it.  
    It amazes me that people can trot out the "Steve would have" trope despite it being under Jobs that the MacBook, the 1" different in iBook display sizes compared to PowerBooks, and the 17" MBP all went away. But, sure, a dead guy would've absolutely done something because some rando forum poster said so.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    jcc said:

MacBook 12"
    MacBook 14"

It's truly great that you know what Steve would have done.   Congratulations on your insights.   

The 12" MacBook was 2.03 lbs.  The Mac Book Air is 2.75 lbs., a bit heavier, but I don't think is a deal breaker.   The 12" Mac Book had a 1.3GHz dual-core processor with 512GB/8GB for $1600 or a 1.2GHz dual-core 256GB/8GB for $1300.    The higher level Air is almost the same for the same $1300 and has an SSD.    For the same $1300, you can get the lowest level MBP 13" with a quad-core i5 128GB SSD/8GB.    It sure seems to me that the 12" MacBook didn't make sense anymore.   Having said that, with the form factors getting thinner and lighter, I always thought it would have been the Air to be discontinued as it didn't really seem necessary anymore. 

And in addition, you believe there needs to be a 12", 13", 14" and 15" but there doesn't need to be a 16"?   Why not?  Because YOU don't want one?   You can't say there should be a flavor for everyone and then say there should be no 16".   Now I happen to think that the 16" should be a 17" so that there's more differentiation.  An argument in favor of a 17" is for people doing video editing and the like on one screen or for programmers who have many windows open.   The argument against a 17" (or even a 16") is that with ever higher screen resolutions, it's not as necessary as it was when the 17" MBP existed.  But if Apple can make the bezel a little smaller, a 17" would only be very slightly larger than a 16" and a 16" would only be very slightly larger than a 15".  
  • Reply 28 of 30
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    jcc said:

MacBook 12"
    MacBook 14"

Steve actually HAD this portable lineup: 

12“ iBook
    12“ PowerBook
    14“ iBook 
    15“ PowerBook 

If they can take the 15“ MBP to 16“, why not make the 13“ a 14“ MBP?

Macbook Air 13“
    MacBook Pro 14“
    MacBook Pro 16“ 

Done. 
  • Reply 29 of 30
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    spheric said:
    jcc said:

MacBook 12"
    MacBook 14"

12“ iBook
    12“ PowerBook
    14“ iBook 
    15“ PowerBook 

Macbook Air 13“
    MacBook Pro 14“
    MacBook Pro 16“ 

Done. 
    They certainly could, but they also may want to keep the larger difference in display sizes. I could also see both the 13" getting a smaller casing with smaller display bezels so that it's more portable as well as keeping it the same variance it is now because of lower costs.
  • Reply 30 of 30
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    Soli said:
    spheric said:
    jcc said:

MacBook 12"
    MacBook 14"

12“ iBook
    12“ PowerBook
    14“ iBook 
    15“ PowerBook 

Macbook Air 13“
    MacBook Pro 14“
    MacBook Pro 16“ 

Done. 
    They certainly could, but they also may want to keep the larger difference in display sizes. I could also see both the 13" getting a smaller casing with smaller display bezels so that it's more portable as well as keeping it the same variance it is now because of lower costs.
    How about keeping those mainstream machines fan-less?  Only pro-level laptops need active-cooling when necessary.

I wouldn’t imagine that without a processor change, of course.