Lamenting the loss of the adorable 12-inch MacBook

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 68
    dmaxRPdmaxRP Posts: 1member
    I guess I can see why they discontinued this especially with the recent updates to the MacBook Air. It would be great if Apple could get back to the days of exciting innovation & design, lately it just seems like small adjustments on the same old hardware. 
  • Reply 62 of 68
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    dmaxRP said:
    I guess I can see why they discontinued this especially with the recent updates to the MacBook Air. It would be great if Apple could get back to the days of exciting innovation & design, lately it just seems like small adjustments on the same old hardware. 
    The Air is the underwhelming notebook in the Apple lineup. It has the same processor as the MacBook but is nearly as big and heavy as the much more powerful quad-core MacBook Pro. Apple killed the wrong notebook yesterday. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 63 of 68
    ne1ne1 Posts: 69member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    neilm said:

#237  12" MacBook. Well, outside of a store I've never seen a 12" MB in the wild. Not one. Not Ever.

So "adorable"? Apparently not by many.
    Sorry man, I see them all over NYC. Huge with sales, marketing, executives. 

I've been thinking about getting one for my significant other, who suffers from ME/CFS and finds her 13" Pro a bit too much to haul around. Just wondering what the best way to work out a trade with someone might be, or if she should just be on an iPad Pro.
    I second this. Tons of marketing execs use them at our NYC-based tech company. Furthermore, I travel quite a bit and see many first class road warriors with them.

Since I purchased mine refurbished last year, it’s been extremely helpful in reducing the weight in my backpack in and around the city. The MacBook “Air” is still too heavy but adequate for most people. 

Apple had a huge missed marketing opportunity because the 12 inch really should have been branded the new Air back when it was released. What is now the MacBook Air should be the MacBook, since it’s the lowest tier portable that everybody buys. 

Hopefully, we’ll get an ARM version soon, which I would upgrade my 2017 to in a heartbeat. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 64 of 68
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    kpom said:
    It has the same processor as the MacBook 
    No, it doesn't. 
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 65 of 68
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    I think the iPad Pro line with the massively upgraded iPad OS is a good replacement for the underpowered MacBook. It was a pretty and compact machine though. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 66 of 68
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    kpom said:
    dmaxRP said:
    The Air is the underwhelming notebook in the Apple lineup. It has the same processor as the MacBook but is nearly as big and heavy as the much more powerful quad-core MacBook Pro. Apple killed the wrong notebook yesterday. 
    Not even close. You should read up on these r]things before writing g about them.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 67 of 68
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    I’ve written three novels on mine, and it’s been the perfect companion. For writing, I demand the tiniest, lowest-specced laptop I can get, stripped down to only writing-related software. Granted, my needs are pretty uncommon, but I’ve loved my MacBook. Now I guess I’ll be keeping it until it quits on me, because I’m not about to upsize to a hulking 13-inch lummox. (Kidding … but seriously.)
    You could pop macOS onto a new cheap PC 12" intel laptop when the time comes.  As a one time owner of a few Apple Dealerships I am not condoning this of course.  It's ludicrously simple to do these days though. The resulting set up would have limitations sure but none for your usage.
    edited July 2019
  • Reply 68 of 68
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    MacPro said:
    I’ve written three novels on mine, and it’s been the perfect companion. For writing, I demand the tiniest, lowest-specced laptop I can get, stripped down to only writing-related software. Granted, my needs are pretty uncommon, but I’ve loved my MacBook. Now I guess I’ll be keeping it until it quits on me, because I’m not about to upsize to a hulking 13-inch lummox. (Kidding … but seriously.)
    You could pop macOS onto a new cheap PC 12" intel laptop when the time comes.  As a one time owner of a few Apple Dealerships I am not condoning this of course.  It's ludicrously simple to do these days though. The resulting set up would have limitations sure but none for your usage.
    You can’t just “pop” it in. It requires pretty strict hardware requirements. Just look up the hackintosh pages. And every time the OS is updated, you risk it not working. Unless you’re playing around, I don’t recommend it.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra