Editorial: Manufacturers, it's time to put more USB-C ports on chargers

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 71
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Whenever forum members complain about the versatility of USB-C they sound like children who cry because their foods touch on a plate.

Rayer said:
    Soli said:
    waverboy said:
    You also haven't addressed the Death Star-sized problem with USB-C for EVERYTHING. The loss of the MagSafe power cable. That was the most brilliant thing Apple ever invented. I'm not even going to fact check that statement to see if Apple was indeed the first one to have a magnetically attached power cable to any device because I think it is that amazing. Its removal from the MacBook line is the biggest mistake Apple ever made. Bigger than the stupid hockey puck mouse, bigger than the structural integrity flaws in various iPhone models, bigger than Steve Jobs saying, "You're holding it wrong", bigger than the first Apple Pencil being charged by sticking out the bottom of the iPad just waiting for it to be snapped off and damaging both devices, the stupid fucking notch on the iPhone, charging the Magic Mouse 2 from the bottom, etc. Every single flaw, small and large, Apple has ever made has nothing on the removal of the MagSafe power cable.
    Agreed 10,000%.  Apple fucked up big time when they nixed MagSafe.  Stupid stupid stupid.
    No they didn't. If you oddly require MagSafe in 2019 then there is a cornucopia of options to make that happen.
    I'm going to use a saying from one of my old professors: It's ok, you're allowed to be wrong.
    Actually he’s right. There are aftermarket MagSafe alternatives. You insert a plug with a magnetic connector into a USB-C port and a cable with a matching magnetic end attaches to that. It pops off under stress the same way MagSafe does
    1) And already pointed out, you can also use your old MagSafe 1 and 2 power supplies with a variety of inexpensive MagSafe-to-USB-C adapters, too. This is an especially wonderful cost saving option for those with a modern Mac notebook (or really any modern notebook) who wants to have multiple PSUs.

2) I didn't think I'd live long enough to see people complain about Apple a non-proprietary setup with detachable sections for the PSU and cable that can be replaced by any number of vendors, not forcing users to charge from a single side of their machine with a single point of failure, and offering industry standard versatility. I've had to resolder many MagSafe cable ends (not to mention rearranging rooms based on the placement of my Mac's charging cable). That hasn't been an issue with USB-C because I can switch the side of my Mac, but even if it does become an issue I can easily replace the USB-C cable whilst keeping the PSU. I can also travel with my Mac PSU and fast charge an iPad Pro, and hopefully an iPhone this year.
  • Reply 62 of 71
    sflocal said:
    Hahahaha. 

Whoever sold you on the lie of USB was doing you no favors. 

Hold on while we run out and swap all the PS/2 ports in everything. 
    Fixed that for you.  You want to live in the early 2000's, go right ahead and get out of the way for the rest of us that haven't looked back.
    The entire world is still using USB-A.
    1) It's not.

2) I bet you were also claiming that no one should adopt USB-A until it's fully adopted by everyone, too. Do you really not see how such comments make no sense. If you really take issue with USB-C because USB-A is still more popular despite everything you could possibly need is available in USB-C (including MagSafe), then you need to just shut up and use your old Mac until reality sets in and you finally decide it's time to join everyone else in the present.
  • Reply 63 of 71
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    Rayer said:
    Soli said:
    waverboy said:
    You also haven't addressed the Death Star-sized problem with USB-C for EVERYTHING. The loss of the MagSafe power cable. That was the most brilliant thing Apple ever invented. I'm not even going to fact check that statement to see if Apple was indeed the first one to have a magnetically attached power cable to any device because I think it is that amazing. Its removal from the MacBook line is the biggest mistake Apple ever made. Bigger than the stupid hockey puck mouse, bigger than the structural integrity flaws in various iPhone models, bigger than Steve Jobs saying, "You're holding it wrong", bigger than the first Apple Pencil being charged by sticking out the bottom of the iPad just waiting for it to be snapped off and damaging both devices, the stupid fucking notch on the iPhone, charging the Magic Mouse 2 from the bottom, etc. Every single flaw, small and large, Apple has ever made has nothing on the removal of the MagSafe power cable.
    Agreed 10,000%.  Apple fucked up big time when they nixed MagSafe.  Stupid stupid stupid.
    No they didn't. If you oddly require MagSafe in 2019 then there is a cornucopia of options to make that happen.
    I'm going to use a saying from one of my old professors: It's ok, you're allowed to be wrong.
    Actually he’s right. There are aftermarket MagSafe alternatives. You insert a plug with a magnetic connector into a USB-C port and a cable with a matching magnetic end attaches to that. It pops off under stress the same way MagSafe does
    I’ve looked at a couple of these and noticed two things. First there’s no charging light. It’s a small annoyance, but it was very convenient to be able to see at. Glance if your computer was charged (or if it had come unplugged)

the second, more major concern is that all of these leave a connector sticking out from the side. We’re seeing more reports of usb c port failures, and I can see that connector getting caught every time I put my laptop in my bag, making it a setup for port failure.
  • Reply 64 of 71
    Soli said:
    sflocal said:
    Hahahaha. 

Fixed that for you.  You want to live in the early 2000's, go right ahead and get out of the way for the rest of us that haven't looked back.
    1) It's not.

2) I bet you were also claiming that no one should adopt USB-A until it's fully adopted by everyone, too. Do you really not see how such comments make no sense. If you really take issue with USB-C because USB-A is still more popular despite everything you could possibly need is available in USB-C (including MagSafe), then you need to just shut up and use your old Mac until reality sets in and you finally decide it's time to join everyone else in the present.
    And again you deny the obvious and try to change or distort what someone said so you have half an argument. We’ll keep living in the real world. Enjoy yours. 
  • Reply 65 of 71
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    MplsP said:
    Rayer said:
    Soli said:
    waverboy said:
    I’ve looked at a couple of these and noticed two things. First there’s no charging light. It’s a small annoyance, but it was very convenient to be able to see at. Glance if your computer was charged (or if it had come unplugged)

the second, more major concern is that all of these leave a connector sticking out from the side. We’re seeing more reports of usb c port failures, and I can see that connector getting caught every time I put my laptop in my bag, making it a setup for port failure.
    The first point is valid. You’re right, it’s not a major issue but it is handy.

I wouldn’t worry about the second point though. First, it doesn’t stick out very far. Second, the edges are rounded so they’re less likely to catch on anything. Third, the part that sticks out is much, much shorter than the part that goes in. That makes It hard to get enough leverage to do any damage even if it did somehow catch on something.

I think Apple just had a crappy batch of USB-C connectors in 2016. The ones they put in mine when they replaced them are much better. I don’t expect they’ll degrade the way the originals did, and I’m confident they would endure a magnetic connector just fine.
  • Reply 66 of 71
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    MplsP said:
    Rayer said:
    Soli said:
    waverboy said:

I'd also be a bit concerned about being able to remove the USB-C connector, should I ever need to, without damaging the port, since they don't exactly leave a lot of grip room.
  • Reply 67 of 71
    MplsP said:
    Soli said:
    sflocal said:
    Hahahaha. 

1) It's not.

And again you deny the obvious and try to change or distort what someone said so you have half an argument. We’ll keep living in the real world. Enjoy yours. 
    The 'obvious' is that USB-C is here to stay and that there are many inherent benefits to it. Your fear of change is the oddest argument of all since you aren't losing access to MagSafe simply because USB-C exists. When people like you bemoaned Apple's decision to move to Lightning because all the docks and devices you had with integrated 30-pin ports there was an actual argument for costing you some money to replace your iHome crap with its integrated 30-pin iPod connector, but there is no loss for you. You have all the benefits of MagSafe while the world marches on toward USB-C. 
  • Reply 68 of 71
    Soli said:
    MplsP said:
    Soli said:
    sflocal said:
    Hahahaha. 

1) It's not.

The 'obvious' is that USB-C is here to stay and that there are many inherent benefits to it. Your fear of change is the oddest argument of all since you aren't losing access to MagSafe simply because USB-C exists. When people like you bemoaned Apple's decision to move to Lightning because all the docks and devices you had with integrated 30-pin ports there was an actual argument for costing you some money to replace your iHome crap with its integrated 30-pin iPod connector, but there is no loss for you. You have all the benefits of MagSafe while the world marches on toward USB-C. 
    Re-read my last post and try again. If you’re still having trouble I can recommend some tutors for reading comprehension. 

Edit - My daughter just got a new pair of Beats headphones. They came with a USB A - Mini USB cable. Evidently USB A is still the present for Apple as well. Or is it an imaginary cable?
    edited July 2019
  • Reply 69 of 71

MplsP said:
    Rayer said:
    Soli said:
    waverboy said:

I wouldn’t worry about the second point though. First, it doesn’t stick out very far. Second, the edges are rounded so they’re less likely to catch on anything. Third, the part that sticks out is much, much shorter than the part that goes in. That makes It hard to get enough leverage to do any damage even if it did somehow catch on something.

I think Apple just had a crappy batch of USB-C connectors in 2016. The ones they put in mine when they replaced them are much better. I don’t expect they’ll degrade the way the originals did, and I’m confident they would endure a magnetic connector just fine.
    Which brand cable are you referring to?
  • Reply 70 of 71
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    MplsP said:

MplsP said:
    Rayer said:
    Soli said:
    waverboy said:

Which brand cable are you referring to?
    I forget. Soli probably remembers. It was the first one.