Apple Card to launch in first half of August

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    I do not care about cash back on a card that is charging the kind of interest rates common in the US.
    My current cad is 0.0% APR- I do not need cash back.\
    applesnoranges
  • Reply 42 of 53
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

there are many NFC POS readers all over the world that do not recognize ApplePay or ApplePay-compatible devices (iPhone/Watch).
    Really?  I've never encountered a single one.

Also, don't you need an Apple Pay enabled device to even sign up for the Apple Card?  Which would render much of your argument moot.
    Solimacgui
  • Reply 43 of 53
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    davgreg said:
    I do not care about cash back on a card that is charging the kind of interest rates common in the US.
    Whut? My card is $0 in interest because i never carry a balance, and the rate is irrelevant. I care about cash back because that means they pay me. Cool you have so much money you don't need any more. Can you send me some? I like free money.
    macguibeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 44 of 53
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    crowley said:

Also, don't you need an Apple Pay enabled device to even sign up for the Apple Card?  Which would render much of your argument moot.
    This is an excellent point, and one that I did not know. Yes, it does render major parts of my argument moot.
  • Reply 45 of 53
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I'll bite....   The standard 2% from ApplePay will be nice, but not a panacea as I'm getting 1.5% now.   For the rest of the benefits...   Meh...   I manage my finances using Quicken far better and far tighter than anything the AppleCard will provide -- so I will likely just ignore those other servies/benefits.

My plan is:  I will downgrade my main Chase card to paying recurring charges which will put my underperforming PNC card into retirement (I won't close it out however).  I'll use my Discover Card (which has a really nice benefit of ID Theft protection) for things like PayPal and also take advantage of its quarterly 5% cash back offers.   And the Apple card will become my main card -- of which 90-95% will flow through ApplePay.

I'll give it a go and see how it flies....
    I use Banktivity, which interacts with banks using the Quicken protocol, and I’ll be waiting to see if the Apple Card will support direct downloads of charge items. If not, they’ll all have to be entered manually, which may be a deal-breaker.
    Yeh, I hadn't thought of that -- but same here.   But it has become a pretty universal feature at any major institution, so I would bet on it.   But, yes, without it I would not want to go back to manual reconciliations.
  • Reply 46 of 53
    davgreg said:
    Can you post a link for this card?
    macgui
  • Reply 47 of 53
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    davgreg said:
    Translation: “I hate free money!”
  • Reply 48 of 53
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    crowley said:

there are many NFC POS readers all over the world that do not recognize ApplePay or ApplePay-compatible devices (iPhone/Watch).

You do? Well that sucks. I was thinking you could link the Apple Card to your account at a bank that doesn’t offer Apple Pay itself, and viola!
  • Reply 49 of 53
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    entropys said:
    crowley said:

You do? Well that sucks. I was thinking you could link the Apple Card to your account at a bank that doesn’t offer Apple Pay itself, and viola!
    I’m pretty sure they demoed the sign up process on-device. Whether it’s the only way to sign up wasn’t clear; maybe there’s a mail in option. I’d be surprised though.
  • Reply 50 of 53
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    larryjw said:
    Just this morning (1:45 a.m.) I received a fraud alert for an attempted transaction using my MasterCard debit card. Give credit to my bank for flagging this attempt. Nice catch.

I have my physical card so some one of a handful of businesses compromised my debit card or had their database of debit/credit card transactions hacked -- again. This is not the first time one of my accounts of been hacked. Could this hack have been part of the Equifax breach? 

I'll get the Apple Card -- of course. Will the Apple Card (Apple/Chase) prevent fraudulent transactions better or as well? 
    I would suggest you turn "alerts" on for your card where it sends you a text whenever any charge (or one over certain amount) is made on your card.   Most card companies send those texts within a few seconds of the charge being made -- so you know almost instantly that it was fraudulent and can report it immediately.   I've caught two fraudulent charges that way.   The last was just as I was getting into my car after grocery shopping a charge came through from a gas station for $25.  I immediately called the company and was told that the charge had been made in a gas station 300 miles away and they would investigate and remove the charge if they decided it was fraudulent.  I suspect that they stick to small amounts because they will tend to go unnoticed by most people -- so they can continue using the card.
    I agree. Alerts are one of the most useful services banks now offer. I've set alerts very low so most transactions are texted to me within seconds. Seeing transaction alerts are one of the most useful features of the Apple Watch glances. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 51 of 53
    psych_guypsych_guy Posts: 486member
    "Apple and financial partner Goldman Sachs are expected to launch the new Apple Card in the US within the first half of August. If correct, that means the launch would be in the next two to three weeks. While this puts the release at the end of Apple's stated 'summer' timeframe, sources say the timing is on schedule."

Seasonally, summer runs from late June to late September, so Apple is right smack in the middle of summer with this launch. Now, if you're talking summer vacation as schools observe it, well, yeah, that's a different story.
    edited July 2019
  • Reply 52 of 53
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    crowley said:
    I’m pretty sure they demoed the sign up process on-device. Whether it’s the only way to sign up wasn’t clear; maybe there’s a mail in option. I’d be surprised though.
    I don't remember seeing the sign-in demo, but I've seen it mentioned several times that sign-in will be done via the Apple Wallet app.

A mail-in application seems unlikely. It takes you outside the Apple eco-system. Apple further touted being able to manage your card via iPhone instead of having to contact a bank directly. So, again, I see a mail-in option as unlikely, at least for some time.
  • Reply 53 of 53
    zimmiezimmie Posts: 651member
    entropys said:
    crowley said:

Apple Cash is more what you're thinking about. It's a bank account with Green Dot. You can connect another bank account and electronically transfer funds between them, then use Apple Pay to spend money which you have loaded on your Apple Cash account. This acts like a debit transaction, which doesn't give cash-back or anything like that.

Apple Card is a "self-contained" credit card, not something you link to an existing account (except to pay the credit balance at the end of the month).