All three 2020 iPhone models expected to have 5G wireless connectivity

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,971member
    M68000 said:
    wood1208 said:
    Much as 5G hype making me think to upgrade 2020 iPhone, I am thinking to upgrade 2019 and than in 2021 or 2022 models. I am OK to ride 4G LTE for a while than buy 5G service when I don't have choice or the cost of service is similar to current 4G LTE.

The biggest draw of 5G capable phones (at least initially) could be better reception.  Carriers will be spending a bundle building out towers and supporting the new frequencies.

If there is a wireless plan that caps performance to 4G speeds, even though your running on a 5G network, that might be a great “value”.  

Paying up for 5G speeds is probably a waste.  It will be interesting to see how carriers handle data caps, you could blow through 100GB of data at 5G speeds in a day...

Bottom line, if you have a iPhone you’re happy with, waiting a year might make sense.  Especially, if reception isn’t the best in your area...
    Actually,  if you do research on 5G you will find that "better reception" is not necessarily true.  The reality is that 5G has trouble going through certain materials that 4G doesn't have.   5G may turn out to be the biggest marketing ploy perpetrated on the public in years.
    That is where CPE's can help and while 5G chipsets, modems and cell towers get all the news, CPE's are there right alongside them at each presentation. They obviously need something to connect to on the outside of the home but once the data is inside, a mesh network can take over.

https://www.lightreading.com/mobile/5g/huawei-5g-outdoor-cpe-wins-red-dot-design-award/d/d-id/750048

https://www.gadgetguy.com.au/huawei-5g-cpe-pro-fast-fixed-internet-without-the-line/
    edited July 2019 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 22 of 44
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 4,000member
    avon b7 said:
    M68000 said:
    wood1208 said:
    Much as 5G hype making me think to upgrade 2020 iPhone, I am thinking to upgrade 2019 and than in 2021 or 2022 models. I am OK to ride 4G LTE for a while than buy 5G service when I don't have choice or the cost of service is similar to current 4G LTE.

The biggest draw of 5G capable phones (at least initially) could be better reception.  Carriers will be spending a bundle building out towers and supporting the new frequencies.

If there is a wireless plan that caps performance to 4G speeds, even though your running on a 5G network, that might be a great “value”.  

Paying up for 5G speeds is probably a waste.  It will be interesting to see how carriers handle data caps, you could blow through 100GB of data at 5G speeds in a day...

Bottom line, if you have a iPhone you’re happy with, waiting a year might make sense.  Especially, if reception isn’t the best in your area...
    Actually,  if you do research on 5G you will find that "better reception" is not necessarily true.  The reality is that 5G has trouble going through certain materials that 4G doesn't have.   5G may turn out to be the biggest marketing ploy perpetrated on the public in years.
    That is where CPE's can help and while 5G chipsets, modems and cell towers get all the news, CPE's are there right alongside them at each presentation. They obviously need something to connect to on the outside of the home but once the data is inside, a mesh network can take over.

https://www.lightreading.com/mobile/5g/huawei-5g-outdoor-cpe-wins-red-dot-design-award/d/d-id/750048

https://www.gadgetguy.com.au/huawei-5g-cpe-pro-fast-fixed-internet-without-the-line/
    My understanding is CPEs are essentially useful for pulling a cellular signal into your home so you can use it in leu of your regular broadband internet provider, meaning most of us would blow through our data cap in a couple of days. Most companies have a corporate wifi connection. While it may not be Gigabit speeds, it's already installed and free, and they aren't going to be chomping at the bit to buy a bunch of equipment that for the most part duplicates the infrastructure already in place.
  • Reply 23 of 44
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,898moderator
    TBH, I hope that Apple does not include MWave in their 5G phones until 2022 at the earliest.
    I am sure that there are lots of people out there just waiting to climb on the next 'lets sue Apple' bandwagon.
    There are lot of reports out there stating that MWave causes Cancer. I'd wait and let someone else take the sueballs first. Cancer is an emotive subject and not to be trivialised. If you have had it (like me with HCL) you know what I mean.

Even in 2019 we still get the occassional story about 3G/4G phones causing brain cancer. Why chance it while the jury is still out OR at least give users the option of NOT enabling the MWave hardware in the phone.

Does a phone That supports mm-Wave transmit on this frequency?  Or only receive on it?  

If the latter then it won’t matter about your phone supporting it.  The waves are gonna be there piping through you if you’re near a tower that supports it. In this case it won’t be the phone giving you cancer whether your phone supports it or not or even if you aren’t carrying a phone.   It’s the service provider’s, if anyone, who would be the target of any lawsuits.  
  • Reply 24 of 44
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,971member
    MplsP said:
    avon b7 said:
    M68000 said:
    wood1208 said:

My understanding is CPEs are essentially useful for pulling a cellular signal into your home so you can use it in leu of your regular broadband internet provider, meaning most of us would blow through our data cap in a couple of days. Most companies have a corporate wifi connection. While it may not be Gigabit speeds, it's already installed and free, and they aren't going to be chomping at the bit to buy a bunch of equipment that for the most part duplicates the infrastructure already in place.
    Yes. That's basically the idea but it depends on your plan with regards to caps. Here in Spain, Vodafone has unlimited plans. If you have one of those or switch to one of those, 5G is included 'for free'.

I think those companies charging more for 5G or placing caps on data are shooting themselves in the foot.
    seanjGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 25 of 44
    seanjseanj Posts: 319member
    Well yeh, Duh!
    Why else would Apple have capitulated to Qualcomm but to produce a 5G phone?

The only real questions is:   Why would they wait 14 months to release it?   Samsung, Huawei and others (as well as all the carriers) will be well into 5G by then,  If they sit on their butt and do nothing till September 2020 they will look real bad.

They should release at least one 5G phone in the first part of 2020 - not wait till nearly 2021.
    Exactly. Last of the UKs mobile networks is about to go 5G, and for the Xmas shopping period people will be wanting 5G phones. Giving Android manufacturers an 18 month head start in sales of 5G handsets will just see Apples market share slide even further.
    Apple’s 2019 phones will have Qualcomm 5G modems, the 2020 models will have Apples own 5G modem chips, with the 2021 models featuring a processor that includes the modem.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 26 of 44
    chasm said:
    TBH, I hope that Apple does not include MWave in their 5G phones until 2022 at the earliest.
    I am sure that there are lots of people out there just waiting to climb on the next 'lets sue Apple' bandwagon.
    There are lot of reports out there stating that MWave causes Cancer.
    And these stories are bullshit. Show me a report from the CDC or sit down and research some legit news sources. You're aware that the frequencies used by MMWave are already in use for weather satellites, right?
    I totally agree that the stories are bullshit. I guess I didn't make my original post strong enough in that area.
    I was looking at it from the POV of those who might believe those stories and blame their cancers on 5G and Apple phones. Given how easy it is to file suit in some parts of the world with little or no chance of being asked to pay the other sides costs why not sue Apple? They have all the money in the world and don't pay their taxes... etc etc etc
    In this age of social media, it is so easy to spread fake news. We all know one person who does that on an almost daily basis. How easy would it be to start spreading 'oh my god, 5G gave me cancer' and sit back an watch it go viral.
    I was just suggesting that apple should be extra cautious with the MWave part of the 5G spectrum.
  • Reply 27 of 44
    frantisekfrantisek Posts: 761member
    HarriePW said:
    Not sure how much of the USA will truly accommodate 5G with it's short range for a long time to come. So yes, there phones may handle it, but unless you are lucky enough to live in a covered area, what good is it.
    Even one can agree,but people are buying phones for more then one year. There is man things to consider. And in future it will impact their resell value. Question is whether Apple wants push resell value down or not.
  • Reply 28 of 44
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 13,050member
    MplsP said:

Well yeh, Duh!

The only real questions is:   Why would they wait 14 months to release it?   Samsung, Huawei and others (as well as all the carriers) will be well into 5G by then,  If they sit on their butt and do nothing till September 2020 they will look real bad.

They should release at least one 5G phone in the first part of 2020 - not wait till nearly 2021.
    because they needed time to actually develop the phone? It does involve a bit more than just swapping out the chip.
    Consumers like this person don’t understand Apple or the product dev cycle. They fail to grasp that each year’s phone specs are locked down nearly a year prior, and then they get to engineering them, and then manufacturing them. They can’t add stuff like a new modem months before a September release. 
  • Reply 29 of 44
    Why the rear camera have to be so ugly and it’s insulting to the product impression. 
    Insulting to who? 

Camera bump complainer nonsense all over again. People don’t care. They do care about photos. 
  • Reply 30 of 44
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    wood1208 said:

That only works if you think iPhones still operate on a 2 year life cycle.
    The Times They Are A'changin'
  • Reply 31 of 44

wood1208 said:

It is a mistake to judge major advances in communications technology based on the capabilities of today's technology.   Historically, serious upgrades in communications have always produced bigger changes in computing that any new CPU.
  • Reply 32 of 44

MplsP said:

Well yeh, Duh!

because they needed time to actually develop the phone? It does involve a bit more than just swapping out the chip.
    Probably about as much as swapping out a CPU.   Routine stuff.   You can be sure that Qualcomm didn't simply produce a chip with no way to drive it or test it.  Apple won't be starting from scratch.
  • Reply 33 of 44
    avon b7 said:
    M68000 said:
    wood1208 said:

I quite agree:   I see 5G making WiFi as obsolete as running ethernet cables to every device.   It's slow, insecure, and even with Mesh Routers the drop off is too high -- even in the best of times my grandson gets only a third of the speed to his X-Box as what comes into his home -- and that sometimes drops to a tenth.  It's adequate, but barely.
  • Reply 34 of 44
    mac_dog said:
    Apple will incorporate/release it when it’s ready and benefits their product line—not out of this ridiculous idea of “pressure” from competitors. That’s how they react. 
    So you are saying that Apple is now the IBM that Steve railed against:   Telling their customers what they will get while always being a step behind in technology?
  • Reply 35 of 44

HarriePW said:
    Not sure how much of the USA will truly accommodate 5G with it's short range for a long time to come. So yes, there phones may handle it, but unless you are lucky enough to live in a covered area, what good is it.
    What good is it?

I think Benjamin Franklin answered that back in the 18th century when people asked the same question about flying in those new fangled hot air balloons:
    "What good is a new born baby?"
  • Reply 36 of 44
    MplsP said:

Well yeh, Duh!

Consumers like this person don’t understand Apple or the product dev cycle. They fail to grasp that each year’s phone specs are locked down nearly a year prior, and then they get to engineering them, and then manufacturing them. They can’t add stuff like a new modem months before a September release. 
    I was in IT for 20 years.   So, you might want to try another excuse.   But try harder this time.  This excuse was pretty weak.
    And, by the way -- I didn't say a September 2019 release.   But nice try at a strawman!  But again, you need to work on that.
  • Reply 37 of 44
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 946member
    So future proofing their phone lines? 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 38 of 44
    MplsP said:

Well yeh, Duh!

I was in IT for 20 years.   So, you might want to try another excuse.   But try harder this time.  This excuse was pretty weak.
    And, by the way -- I didn't say a September 2019 release.   But nice try at a strawman!  But again, you need to work on that.
    Re-read your message, which you can see by expanding the quotes. You're asking why it won't come sooner than 14 months. The answer should be obvious to you -- the suit was settled a month ago, it's much too late to put any new Qualcomm settlement tech, or in-house Apple modem tech, into the 2019 model. That leaves 2020....14 months. Get it?

Besides which, no one cares about 5G except you and your friend in Spain. I'm in enterprise tech, a software dev, and no one I know gives a crap. Apple is not 'late to the party' or 'sitting on their butts' or any of the nonsense we hear from folks like you any time there's a new spec and Apple doesn't immediately implement it. I'd think you folks would have learned this lesson after 3G, after LTE, after NFC, after OLED, etc etc... but nope. "Apple is lazy! Rar!"

Rinse and repeat.
    edited July 2019 roundaboutnow
  • Reply 39 of 44
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 4,000member

MplsP said:

Well yeh, Duh!

Probably about as much as swapping out a CPU.   Routine stuff.   You can be sure that Qualcomm didn't simply produce a chip with no way to drive it or test it.  Apple won't be starting from scratch.
    So you think the modems are interchangeable like upgrading from an old 486-25 to a 486-33? Nope. Like strangedays said, they just settled the suit a month ago, so they didn’t have access to the chips before then. Maybe they had access to the technical specifications, maybe not. Adding a 5G modem requires adding the chip, and the antennae. This requires redesigning the logic board, which then may have implications on other components. Then they have to code the OS software to control the modem. Then they need to test it. And by the way, antenna placement affects the case design, too. Swapping the processor is actually probably easier.
    StrangeDaysroundaboutnow
  • Reply 40 of 44
    MplsP said:

Well yeh, Duh!

Re-read your message, which you can see by expanding the quotes. You're asking why it won't come sooner than 14 months. The answer should be obvious to you -- the suit was settled a month ago, it's much too late to put any new Qualcomm settlement tech, or in-house Apple modem tech, into the 2019 model. That leaves 2020....14 months. Get it?

Besides which, no one cares about 5G except you and your friend in Spain. I'm in enterprise tech, a software dev, and no one I know gives a crap. Apple is not 'late to the party' or 'sitting on their butts' or any of the nonsense we hear from folks like you any time there's a new spec and Apple doesn't immediately implement it. I'd think you folks would have learned this lesson after 3G, after LTE, after NFC, after OLED, etc etc... but nope. "Apple is lazy! Rar!"

Rinse and repeat.
    Obviously I think you are wrong.   It doesn't take 16 months (not 14 as you shave it) to swap out a modem chip.  If it does, you need some better people working for you.  And again, I never said it would make it into the Sept 2019 release -- that's just your straw man (But good job knocking him down!)

But you are right, nobody cares about 5G -- except Trump, Huawei, Samsung, Apple, Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, China, S. Korea and most of the world.
    edited July 2019 avon b7