All three 2020 iPhone models expected to have 5G wireless connectivity

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 44
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 13,050member
    MplsP said:

Well yeh, Duh!
    Why else would Apple have capitulated to Qualcomm but to produce a 5G phone?

The only real questions is:   Why would they wait 14 months to release it?   Samsung, Huawei and others (as well as all the carriers) will be well into 5G by then,  If they sit on their butt and do nothing till September 2020 they will look real bad.

They should release at least one 5G phone in the first part of 2020 - not wait till nearly 2021.
    because they needed time to actually develop the phone? It does involve a bit more than just swapping out the chip.
    Consumers like this person don’t understand Apple or the product dev cycle. They fail to grasp that each year’s phone specs are locked down nearly a year prior, and then they get to engineering them, and then manufacturing them. They can’t add stuff like a new modem months before a September release. 
    I was in IT for 20 years.   So, you might want to try another excuse.   But try harder this time.  This excuse was pretty weak.
    And, by the way -- I didn't say a September 2019 release.   But nice try at a strawman!  But again, you need to work on that.
    Re-read your message, which you can see by expanding the quotes. You're asking why it won't come sooner than 14 months. The answer should be obvious to you -- the suit was settled a month ago, it's much too late to put any new Qualcomm settlement tech, or in-house Apple modem tech, into the 2019 model. That leaves 2020....14 months. Get it?

Besides which, no one cares about 5G except you and your friend in Spain. I'm in enterprise tech, a software dev, and no one I know gives a crap. Apple is not 'late to the party' or 'sitting on their butts' or any of the nonsense we hear from folks like you any time there's a new spec and Apple doesn't immediately implement it. I'd think you folks would have learned this lesson after 3G, after LTE, after NFC, after OLED, etc etc... but nope. "Apple is lazy! Rar!"

Rinse and repeat.
    Obviously I think you are wrong.   It doesn't take 16 months (not 14 as you shave it) to swap out a modem chip.  If it does, you need some better people working for you.  And again, I never said it would make it into the Sept 2019 release -- that's just your straw man (But good job knocking him down!)

But you are right, nobody cares about 5G -- except Trump, Huawei, Samsung, Apple, Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, China, S. Korea and most of the world.
    The 14-months figure is from your OP, go into the quotes and read it. September 2020 to this month (July) is 14 months. If that's not what you're referring to then you're going to have to explain yourself more clearly. 

The Sept 2020 iPhone is days away from 13 months, actually. Again, if you think it's somehow possible to implement a new 5G modem in an iPhone before Sept 2020, explain what on earth you're talking about -- the only other window is Sept 2019, and that's impossible. iPhones are on a 12-month release cycle, so when exactly are you speaking them to "get off their butts!" and release it?

Again, most US consumers give zero craps today about 5G. Nor will they in 40 days or so when the next iPhone comes out. Maybe they will by Sept 2020, but Apple certainly won't be late to the market. Early adopting stuff like 3G, LTE, OLED is demonstrably unimportant. 5G will be the same thing.
    roundaboutnow
  • Reply 42 of 44
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    5G...5G...5G...who cares?  Are things so bad with what we have right now that next gen cellular comms are worth all of the speculation and tech coverage?  In Canada, we are subject to such ridiculous data prices and caps...not sure I want cell companies investing more billions in bleeding edge tech just to have its customers pay for it all with even higher fees.
    Really? I just signed up for 10gb per month LTE + unlimited at 512kb after that, plus free calls across Canada for $60.- CAD pr month. That's pretty good, ainit?
    edited July 2019
  • Reply 43 of 44
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    MplsP said:

Well yeh, Duh!
    Why else would Apple have capitulated to Qualcomm but to produce a 5G phone?

The only real questions is:   Why would they wait 14 months to release it?   Samsung, Huawei and others (as well as all the carriers) will be well into 5G by then,  If they sit on their butt and do nothing till September 2020 they will look real bad.

They should release at least one 5G phone in the first part of 2020 - not wait till nearly 2021.
    because they needed time to actually develop the phone? It does involve a bit more than just swapping out the chip.
    Consumers like this person don’t understand Apple or the product dev cycle. They fail to grasp that each year’s phone specs are locked down nearly a year prior, and then they get to engineering them, and then manufacturing them. They can’t add stuff like a new modem months before a September release. 
    I was in IT for 20 years.   So, you might want to try another excuse.   But try harder this time.  This excuse was pretty weak.
    And, by the way -- I didn't say a September 2019 release.   But nice try at a strawman!  But again, you need to work on that.
    Re-read your message, which you can see by expanding the quotes. You're asking why it won't come sooner than 14 months. The answer should be obvious to you -- the suit was settled a month ago, it's much too late to put any new Qualcomm settlement tech, or in-house Apple modem tech, into the 2019 model. That leaves 2020....14 months. Get it?

Besides which, no one cares about 5G except you and your friend in Spain. I'm in enterprise tech, a software dev, and no one I know gives a crap. Apple is not 'late to the party' or 'sitting on their butts' or any of the nonsense we hear from folks like you any time there's a new spec and Apple doesn't immediately implement it. I'd think you folks would have learned this lesson after 3G, after LTE, after NFC, after OLED, etc etc... but nope. "Apple is lazy! Rar!"

Rinse and repeat.
    Obviously I think you are wrong.   It doesn't take 16 months (not 14 as you shave it) to swap out a modem chip.  If it does, you need some better people working for you.  And again, I never said it would make it into the Sept 2019 release -- that's just your straw man (But good job knocking him down!)

But you are right, nobody cares about 5G -- except Trump, Huawei, Samsung, Apple, Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, China, S. Korea and most of the world.
    The 14-months figure is from your OP, go into the quotes and read it. September 2020 to this month (July) is 14 months. If that's not what you're referring to then you're going to have to explain yourself more clearly. 

The Sept 2020 iPhone is days away from 13 months, actually. Again, if you think it's somehow possible to implement a new 5G modem in an iPhone before Sept 2020, explain what on earth you're talking about -- the only other window is Sept 2019, and that's impossible. iPhones are on a 12-month release cycle, so when exactly are you speaking them to "get off their butts!" and release it?

Again, most US consumers give zero craps today about 5G. Nor will they in 40 days or so when the next iPhone comes out. Maybe they will by Sept 2020, but Apple certainly won't be late to the market. Early adopting stuff like 3G, LTE, OLED is demonstrably unimportant. 5G will be the same thing.
    I don't adhere to your black and white thinking that there is a law somewhere that says iPhones can only be released once a year in September.   That's probably where you got confused.

And to continue your mantra that 'nobody cares about 5G' is senseless.  It sounds good -- but is obviously untrue because, if nobody cared, the governments and corporations world would not be shelling out so many billions of dollars to make it happen.
    muthuk_vanalingam