Review: Microsoft's Surface Book 2 is expensive with mediocre performance

Comments

• Reply 41 of 79
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,860member
    ireland said:
    macxpress said:
    ireland said:
    ireland said:
    Sensibly, Microsoft has included an SD Card reader. It’s a popular media and not needing to visit dongletown for it is a huge boon for photographers and videographers—a decent percentage of pros.
    Yes there are many port freaks here who will pay $3000 for “integrated” (wow!) SD card and USB-A.
    I never said I’d buy this shitty computer. Say hello to Dongletown for me. We’re not “port freaks”, we’re photographers and videographers. Don’t be a dick.
    Which are using the current MacBook Pro...so what's your point? So you don't want to buy new cables we get it. I totally agree with @macplusplus. Most of the folks that still to this day bitch about this are just port freaks and want them there for the same of being there for the most part. Never mind the current gen is the most versatile Mac laptop ever released as far as what it will connect to. Its such a shame you have to spend $10 on a new cable OMG! God damn new technology anyways!
    Thank God we're not all like you. We'd have to suffer those shitty keyboards forever if you just assumed Apple always know best and that's it. Apple made a decision to kill the SD Card port. Now us photographers and videographers must (not only buy) but go get our cable every time we need to connect to our Mac. It's an inconvenience. Apple made a choice, and many of us disagree with it. Had they killed the SD Card and had a clever solution that was even more convenience we'd be delighted. But they killed it and pretty much said fuck you to those users. I'm sure Apple's pro workflow team just loves the missing SD Card slot now. You have your opinion, I have mine. I find needing a cable annoying.

Here you go...got you a 3-pack!
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 79
    TechSupportTechSupport Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    thedba said:
    ireland said:
    Sensibly, Microsoft has included an SD Card reader. It’s a popular media and not needing to visit dongletown for it is a huge boon for photographers and videographers—a decent percentage of pros.
    Yes there are many port freaks here who will pay $3000 for “integrated” (wow!) SD card and USB-A.
    I can’t understand the whining and complaining of so many posters on these forums that keep on pounding the issue of no ports on the MBP.
    I guess for them one TB3 port that can drive 2x4K monitors, power your machine and provide enough bandwidth for additional ports (USB-A, ethernet, etc.) is no ports at all. And on top of that, the 15” version has 4 of them. 
    But sure let’s applaud MS and other PC manufacturers for giving us maybe one USB-C port, that hasn’t even caught up to Thunderbolt 1 @ 10Mbits/sec. 
    Both UsbC and Thunderbolt 3 are up to 40Gbs depending on cable length.
  • Reply 43 of 79
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,893administrator
    thedba said:
    ireland said:
    I can’t understand the whining and complaining of so many posters on these forums that keep on pounding the issue of no ports on the MBP.
    I guess for them one TB3 port that can drive 2x4K monitors, power your machine and provide enough bandwidth for additional ports (USB-A, ethernet, etc.) is no ports at all. And on top of that, the 15” version has 4 of them. 
    But sure let’s applaud MS and other PC manufacturers for giving us maybe one USB-C port, that hasn’t even caught up to Thunderbolt 1 @ 10Mbits/sec. 
    Both UsbC and Thunderbolt 3 are up to 40Gbs depending on cable length.
    Not yet it isn't. Nothing USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 is shipping yet.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 79
    I have a original Surface Book and it's been very reliable. It did have a lot of firmware updates to iron out glitches early on, can't complain considering I never had any issues. I use it hard everyday for work (illustration) but it's been a good little workhorse. Probably going to get a Surface Studio at some point after being impressed with this machine.
  • Reply 45 of 79
    KITAKITA Posts: 409member

In Unigine Heaven we received a score of 529, an average frames per second of 21, and a max frames per second of 48.3. Comparing that to Apple's 13-inch and 15-inch MacBook Pro. The base model 13-inch MacBook Pro received a score of 784, and an average frames per second of 31.1 with a max frames per second of 66.7, while the top-spec 15-inch MacBook Pro with Vega 20 graphics pulled in a max FPS of 147.4 and an average of 82.3 with an overall score of 2072.

I noticed you still haven't fixed this.

Well let's discuss the very important detail you left out... The resolution benchmarked at:

Surface Book 2 - 3000x2000 = 6,000,000 pixels

MacBook Pro 13 - 1440x900 = 1,296,000 pixels

MacBook Pro 15 - 1680x1050 = 1,764,000 pixels

And, of course, no mention of CUDA performance.
    bigtds
  • Reply 46 of 79
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 891member
    KITA said:

In Unigine Heaven we received a score of 529, an average frames per second of 21, and a max frames per second of 48.3. Comparing that to Apple's 13-inch and 15-inch MacBook Pro. The base model 13-inch MacBook Pro received a score of 784, and an average frames per second of 31.1 with a max frames per second of 66.7, while the top-spec 15-inch MacBook Pro with Vega 20 graphics pulled in a max FPS of 147.4 and an average of 82.3 with an overall score of 2072.

Well let's discuss the very important detail you left out... The resolution benchmarked at:

???

The Mac sizes are HiDPI, aka Retina (but there are differences in the definitions), meaning:

The 15-inch, is TRUE 2880x1800 pixels, but the "default", which they say is preferred, is 1680x1050 retina,
    (but on the 2015 15", the default/preferred is 1440x900, with the SAME PIXELS!!

The 13-inch, is TRUE 2560x1600 pixels, but the "default", which they say is preferred, is 1440x900 retina,
    (but on the 2015 13", the default/preferred is 1280x800, with the SAME PIXELS!!

I highly doubt the Surface Book, is 6000x4000, 3000x2000 HiDPI.  It's more like 1500x1000 HiDPI, 3000x2000 TRUE...

oh and if he made the Retina Ratio True HiDPI at 2:1, the Macs probably would have run a few ticks higher...

watto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 79
    Arina14Arina14 Posts: 29member
    $3k is way too much for a device with all of these flaws, especially when it is very clear that performance is 'concerning'. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 79
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    rezwits said:
    KITA said:

???

The Mac sizes are HiDPI, aka Retina (but there are differences in the definitions), meaning:

The 15-inch, is TRUE 2880x1800 pixels, but the "default", which they say is preferred, is 1680x1050 retina,
    (but on the 2015 15", the default/preferred is 1440x900, with the SAME PIXELS!!

The 13-inch, is TRUE 2560x1600 pixels, but the "default", which they say is preferred, is 1440x900 retina,
    (but on the 2015 13", the default/preferred is 1280x800, with the SAME PIXELS!!

I highly doubt the Surface Book, is 6000x4000, 3000x2000 HiDPI.  It's more like 1500x1000 HiDPI, 3000x2000 TRUE...

oh and if he made the Retina Ratio True HiDPI at 2:1, the Macs probably would have run a few ticks higher...

Huh? The screenshots posted clearly show the benchmarks at the resolutions he listed.  You can't credibly say on the one hand that the MacBooks have comparable resolution to the Surface Book, while also claiming a benchmark advantage taken when they're running at a reduced resolution.  That's not cricket.
    Carnagebigtds
  • Reply 49 of 79
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,449member
    rezwits said:
    ITGUYINSD said:
    This is some of the funniest stuff I've read in a long time!  Have you even USED Windows 10 lately?

Oh and by the way, there are probably over 3-4 Billion DVD players out there too, WOO HOO, BIG DEAL, what's your point?  Your argument (about how many Windows installations there are out there) is WAY OUTDATED...  You need to catch up to the times.  10-20 million Americans that stare at their Windows PC all day while drinking their coffee, getting their water, waiting for their lunch break, coming back from lunch, going to the bathroom, browse Facebook, click print on the ole Excel Spreadsheet or Word Doc, put it in a folder and give it to their boss, DAY IS DONE punch out!

OH WOW!  Amazing work people, you guys really get thru some stuff...  please...

I don't get what's your point.  Users have different needs, some of them are light while other are more complex.  What's wrong with someone working with Word or Excel?

Microsoft is actually starting to "deprecate" or should I say just flat out stop supporting machines from HP, Dell, Acer, Lenovo, and anyone else, because they can't keep up anymore supporting all the various models and configurations from all the different manufacturers, ON WINDOWS 10!  Windows 10 is basically going to be EOL on PCs, and MS has said THIS IS THE LAST Windows they are going to make.  So if Windows 10 is so great what are you going to do if you don't have. a PATH anymore because you don't have compliant Hardware Components (i.e. CPU/GPU)?  Guess what, better start learning Linux, because that's where Microsoft is going to put you.  EXCEPT for their (Microsoft's) HOME GROWN PCs that THEY make, they'll support them the distance, but MS's ARM based Surface? haha please.  Because they want to be like Apple, except the only problem is Apple has 30+ years experience building "PCs" where Microsoft has about oh 5-10?  BAH!

Laters...

This article have details on the meaning of Windows 10 being the last version MS will make, and there is no mention of deprecating or Windows 10 EOL.  

https://www.theverge.com/2015/5/7/8568473/windows-10-last-version-of-windows

edited August 2019
  • Reply 50 of 79
    mcdave said:
    ITGUYINSD said:
    rezwits said:

I mean if you want to say, "Well iOS isn't macOS or iOS is not a REAL OS.  Well I got news for you, we've been saying the same thing about Windows for quite some time now.  And really I would almost say iOS is much more comparable to Windows 10, than macOS at this point.  macOS is akin Linux as is Android honestly...

I mean if I had some client or family member say they were looking at getting. a really nice machine (especially "starting out"), I would say:  "Well you like the iPhone right?  What about a nice 12.9" with 512 (4GB RAM) or 1TB (6GB RAM), a pencil and your choice of 3-4 keyboards?  for under $2,000?  I honestly would be WAAAY happier if they choose that, because I wouldn't have to worry, very much about anything...  you could push them off on their own and they would be just fine.  Give them a Windows 10?!?  are you kidding me?!?  But purely when iOS 13 hits, then that's that, iOS 13 ~= Window 10... (if we even want to give Windows that much credit :P )

This is some of the funniest stuff I've read in a long time!  Have you even USED Windows 10 lately?  Probably not.  You do realize that >80% of all computers run Windows?  And it's not a real OS?  Yet you consider iOS, which has no mouse support, a real OS?  If you travel outside your little box and imagine the world's office workers all sitting in front of mouse-less iPads and tiny keyboards, trying to do their daily work, how many of them would be thrown out the window or in the trash?  Currently, the iPad is NOT a replacement for a computer.  Someday, maybe.  I want to use my iPad Pro as my travel laptop, but lack of apps and no mouse support is a deal breaker.   I was excited to hear there was some form of mouse compatibility with the new iPadOS, but turns out you can't really do much with it other than click on something.  

I use Windows 10 (current build) everyday and it’s still a joke as a graphical OS and can’t be taken seriously at all for touch - it’s borderline fraudulent.
    Like most other professional, office-based workers, I didn’t decide on Windows and would use a Mac or iPad Pro in a heartbeat. The decision to use Windows was made by people who have no clue what business productivity is.  Given the BYOD/user-chosen tech stats I suspect most of those 80% Windows users would rather not be.
    If you could leave the 80s behind for a moment, you’d realise few people need a mouse (or local filesystem access). If only Corp IT would listen to its customers, we’d trade our total IT spend for a bunch of iPads + in-house software so we could leave our desks & do our real jobs rather than be chained to those desks by that disastrous desktop OS.
    Do you want to replace desktop PC's with iPads to work for 8-hours?  I don't think most customers would replace their 23"+ screen for a 12.9" screen with an awful keyboard, and a touchscreen in vertical position, as you would do with iPad.  Even Apple think touch screen in vertical position is a bad idea.  Federighi  said in an inverview "We really feel that the ergonomics of using a Mac are that your hands are rested on a surface, and that lifting your arm up to poke a screen is a pretty fatiguing thing to do," he said.
    https://www.wired.com/story/wwdc-2018-federighi-ios-apps-on-macos/

Do you really think users want that experience?

Second, have you consider why most IT choose Windows over Apple?  One example is Apple lack of business / enterprise management tools for their own devices.  At least Jamf and even MS are doing something to fix this.  Another thing IT consider is ecosystem, and MS is miles ahead of Apple.  MS business / enterprise ecosystem is huge, MS Office, MDM. databases, virtualization, ERP, collaboration, ECM, Azure, and the list goes on.  if Apple had a similar ecosystem\, IT would have consider them for more than just iOS devices.  

Maybe IT is not the one to blame in your workplace for the lack of Apple devices.  
    edited August 2019 bigtds
  • Reply 51 of 79
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    You didn't mention its biggest problem by far: it doesn't run macOS
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 52 of 79
    Let’s set the record straight here.  First, the 13” SB2 is not $3k.  I got mine with dedicated GPU for $1699.  This device is amazing!  I have been using this device for VR work to teaching engineering and computer science.  The battery life is great and having the tablet capabilities is very helpful. Unlike Apple, this device has functions and features Apple could only dream about.

Also, we have these deployed in several locations and people love them.

Yes, it is time for a refresh and yes, this article is old news.
  • Reply 53 of 79
    danvm said:
    mcdave said:
    ITGUYINSD said:
    rezwits said:

I mean if you want to say, "Well iOS isn't macOS or iOS is not a REAL OS.  Well I got news for you, we've been saying the same thing about Windows for quite some time now.  And really I would almost say iOS is much more comparable to Windows 10, than macOS at this point.  macOS is akin Linux as is Android honestly...

I mean if I had some client or family member say they were looking at getting. a really nice machine (especially "starting out"), I would say:  "Well you like the iPhone right?  What about a nice 12.9" with 512 (4GB RAM) or 1TB (6GB RAM), a pencil and your choice of 3-4 keyboards?  for under $2,000?  I honestly would be WAAAY happier if they choose that, because I wouldn't have to worry, very much about anything...  you could push them off on their own and they would be just fine.  Give them a Windows 10?!?  are you kidding me?!?  But purely when iOS 13 hits, then that's that, iOS 13 ~= Window 10... (if we even want to give Windows that much credit :P )

This is some of the funniest stuff I've read in a long time!  Have you even USED Windows 10 lately?  Probably not.  You do realize that >80% of all computers run Windows?  And it's not a real OS?  Yet you consider iOS, which has no mouse support, a real OS?  If you travel outside your little box and imagine the world's office workers all sitting in front of mouse-less iPads and tiny keyboards, trying to do their daily work, how many of them would be thrown out the window or in the trash?  Currently, the iPad is NOT a replacement for a computer.  Someday, maybe.  I want to use my iPad Pro as my travel laptop, but lack of apps and no mouse support is a deal breaker.   I was excited to hear there was some form of mouse compatibility with the new iPadOS, but turns out you can't really do much with it other than click on something.  

I use Windows 10 (current build) everyday and it’s still a joke as a graphical OS and can’t be taken seriously at all for touch - it’s borderline fraudulent.
    Like most other professional, office-based workers, I didn’t decide on Windows and would use a Mac or iPad Pro in a heartbeat. The decision to use Windows was made by people who have no clue what business productivity is.  Given the BYOD/user-chosen tech stats I suspect most of those 80% Windows users would rather not be.
    If you could leave the 80s behind for a moment, you’d realise few people need a mouse (or local filesystem access). If only Corp IT would listen to its customers, we’d trade our total IT spend for a bunch of iPads + in-house software so we could leave our desks & do our real jobs rather than be chained to those desks by that disastrous desktop OS.
    Do you want to replace desktop PC's with iPads to work for 8-hours?  I don't think most customers would replace their 23"+ screen for a 12.9" screen with an awful keyboard, and a touchscreen in vertical position, as you would do with iPad.  Even Apple think touch screen in vertical position is a bad idea.  Federighi  said in an inverview "We really feel that the ergonomics of using a Mac are that your hands are rested on a surface, and that lifting your arm up to poke a screen is a pretty fatiguing thing to do," he said.

Second, have you consider why most IT choose Windows over Apple?  One example is Apple lack of business / enterprise management tools for their own devices.  At least Jamf and even MS are doing something to fix this.  Another thing IT consider is ecosystem, and MS is miles ahead of Apple.  MS business / enterprise ecosystem is huge, MS Office, MDM. databases, virtualization, ERP, collaboration, ECM, Azure, and the list goes on.  if Apple had a similar ecosystem\, IT would have consider them for more than just iOS devices.  

Maybe IT is not the one to blame in your workplace for the lack of Apple devices.  
    To answer this...people would trade their 23” monitors gladly for a device that needs very little maintenance.  I have people at Cisco and other companies that would all argue that having an iPad and Macs increased productivity.  You can manage these devices via Microsoft Intune quite easily.  Many IT techs speak out of ignorance, but as an IT executive, I can tell you that Macs and iPads are more cost effective and the TCO is lower for Apple devices and our LCM is 6 years, if not more.

As a Microsoft leader,  you are talking like an old school tech.  Microsoft is going platform agnostic, which makes many of your arguments irrelevant. Their push is the cloud and the landscape of IT has changed. Regardless of the platform, you have to find what works for your organization.
    Gaby
  • Reply 54 of 79
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,893administrator
    Let’s set the record straight here.  First, the 13” SB2 is not $3k.  I got mine with dedicated GPU for $1699.  This device is amazing!  I have been using this device for VR work to teaching engineering and computer science.  The battery life is great and having the tablet capabilities is very helpful. Unlike Apple, this device has functions and features Apple could only dream about.

Also, we have these deployed in several locations and people love them.

Yes, it is time for a refresh and yes, this article is old news.
    The configuration that was sent by Microsoft for testing is absolutely $3000.
    edited August 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 55 of 79
    danvm said:
    mcdave said:
    ITGUYINSD said:
    rezwits said:

To answer this...people would trade their 23” monitors gladly for a device that needs very little maintenance.  I have people at Cisco and other companies that would all argue that having an iPad and Macs increased productivity.  You can manage these devices via Microsoft Intune quite easily.  Many IT techs speak out of ignorance, but as an IT executive, I can tell you that Macs and iPads are more cost effective and the TCO is lower for Apple devices and our LCM is 6 years, if not more.
    My point was related to ergonomics.  I already posted how even Apple think that touchscreen notebooks are terrible from an ergonomic POV.  That's how an iPad works with a smart keyboard.  So the combination of a small screen and terrible ergonomics is not the best when working with a device for 8 hours everyday.  TCO and productivity is another story, and it can easily go in favor or against Apple, MS, Google or whatever service or device you use.  As you said, many IT may speak from ignorance, but I think they are a minority.  I prefer to have a positive POV of the work IT departments do, and how they take educated decisions.  Some may see better results with Apple devices, while other with MS / Windows devices.  It's clear that Apple is not the better option for all cases, neither is MS.
    As a Microsoft leader,  you are talking like an old school tech.  Microsoft is going platform agnostic, which makes many of your arguments irrelevant. Their push is the cloud and the landscape of IT has changed. Regardless of the platform, you have to find what works for your organization.
    First, I'm not a MS leader.  I have devices from Apple and MS, and use services from both.  And in my line of work, I have to deploy and manage devices and services from both companies.  Regarding my post, it was about reasons why many IT departments prefer MS over Apple, and being platform agnostic, as you said, is one of them.  Second, Apple don't have a business / enterprise MDM solution / service.  I gave examples like Jamf and even MS that create solutions to help IT to deploy Apple devices, since Apple did nothing to help.  Now MS and Jamf are working together. 

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Enterprise-Mobility-Security/Microsoft-Intune-and-Jamf-Pro-Better-Together-to-Manage-and/ba-p/250455

Don't you think that Apple could have done a better job helping IT deploying devices, instead of waiting for Jamf and MS to take the lead?  No I can see IT departments having tools and better experience deploying and managing Mac's.  
  • Reply 56 of 79
    GabyGaby Posts: 191member
    rezwits said:
    You can also disconnect the display from the keyboard and use the Surface Book 2 as a tablet -- which you obviously can't do with anything from Apple. Disconnecting it is super easy thanks to the dedicated button on the keyboard, and connecting it back to the keyboard is plug and play.

Microsoft Surface Book 2 in tablet mode
    Microsoft Surface Book 2 in tablet mode

---===---

But Dude, the thing is:  This isn't pre-2015 anymore!  The iPad Pro has been out for almost 4 years now, and a, it's a legitimate machine, especially the 2018 model.

I completely concur with this sentiment.For me the surface line have more in common with iPad than MacBooks. Regarding the OS; Windows isn’t a patch on Mac or even iOS imho. When I bought the new 12.9” pro, i was genuinely gobsmacked by the capability of it, and pair it as said with your keyboard of choice and the pencil and honestly for most peoples needs there is no reason to even consider a mac. For professionals that prefer or need to work with a desktop or MacOS I can understand for some applications, but for photo editing, word processing, spreadsheets, and even video editing to a point, iPad is a viable option now. Granted there are some limitations, and adjustments to make and transition your workflow and input etc, but still I’d whole heartedly recommend the iPad to a large majority based on capabilities, simplicity/ease of use and the unlikelihood of needing support with it.
    edited August 2019
  • Reply 57 of 79
    GabyGaby Posts: 191member
    "The keyboard on the Surface Book 2 is great, it offers plenty of key travel, and it's well spaced out for a 13-inch laptop. It's a nice refreshing change from Apple's butterfly keyboard which may end up breaking months after purchase."

Any laptop keyboard could end up breaking months after purchase. Scissor mechanism keyboards break in all the same ways that butterfly keyboards do. 
    They don't break nearly as often as the butterfly keyboards do.  Period.

Additionally, if a key breaks, you can fix it yourself.
    https://www.replacementlaptopkeys.com/microsoft-surface-book-2-keyboard-key-replacement/
    They haven’t even sold in enough numbers in all the years of availability to qualify that statement honestly!
  • Reply 58 of 79
    Gaby said:
    "The keyboard on the Surface Book 2 is great, it offers plenty of key travel, and it's well spaced out for a 13-inch laptop. It's a nice refreshing change from Apple's butterfly keyboard which may end up breaking months after purchase."

Any laptop keyboard could end up breaking months after purchase. Scissor mechanism keyboards break in all the same ways that butterfly keyboards do. 
    They don't break nearly as often as the butterfly keyboards do.  Period.

Additionally, if a key breaks, you can fix it yourself.
    https://www.replacementlaptopkeys.com/microsoft-surface-book-2-keyboard-key-replacement/
    They haven’t even sold in enough numbers in all the years of availability to qualify that statement honestly!
    MS sold enough Surface devices to notice the sleep issues they had.  I think if they had keyboard issues as Apple, customers had notice them too.  So it looks like Surface keyboards are better, in quality and tactile feedback, compared to Macbooks.  
  • Reply 59 of 79
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    danvm said:

“You're using it wrong”: iPads are tablets, so no add-ons. Typing can be done all day on an iPad laying on a table with a slight angle and hands around it at the near end. Works like a charm.

Management tools means obstruction and restriction on a computers use, thats not suitable for a Mac, it just blends in. IT (hate that abbreviation) can close the shop. 
  • Reply 60 of 79
    knowitall said:
    danvm said:

“You're using it wrong”: iPads are tablets, so no add-ons. Typing can be done all day on an iPad laying on a table with a slight angle and hands around it at the near end. Works like a charm.

Management tools means obstruction and restriction on a computers use, thats not suitable for a Mac, it just blends in. IT (hate that abbreviation) can close the shop. 
    I think people have not problems with soft keyboard for light tasks.  But they will never replace a full desktop / notebook for extended periods of work. 

Mac not "just blends in."  That's the reason you need Jamf and MS tools to manage them in business.  And sometimes it means restrictions and obstruction, but sometimes that's the only way to protect business information, files and other type of data from misuse, loss and theft, among other security issues.  I don't think they can close the shop, as you said.