iOS 12 now installed on 88 percent of compatible devices

Posted:
in General Discussion
Updated adoption statistics released by Apple show that iOS 12 adoption rates have reached 88 percent on compatible devices, a month before iOS 13 is set to release.

iOS 12 adoption rates

Apple has updated their adoption statistics on their developer page, showing that 90 percent of devices introduced in the last 4 years are now using iOS 12. The remaining 10 percent is split between iOS 11 (seven percent) and earlier operating systems (three percent.)

According to the data, iOS 12 is installed on 88 percent of all iOS 12-compatible devices. Like former iOS releases, iOS 12 has had steady adoption since it was released.

Earlier operating systems are likely iOS 9, which left behind the iPad 2 and the original iPad mini. It is still possible to install compatible apps on these older devices, using a user's purchase history.

In February, iOS 12 was installed on 80 percent of compatible devices, and 83 percent of those released in the last four years.

iOS 12 has seen rapid adoption rates, hitting 53% in under a month after initial release, jumping to 70% in December of 2018. In comparison, iOS 11 was installed on just 59 percent of devices in December 2017.

Introduced alongside the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max in September 2018, iOS 12 features powerful photography tools, tools to monitor and manage screen time, Group FaceTime, and ARKit 2. iOS 12 also saw the addition of Memoji characters.

Apple's focus on improved OS performance on older devices may explain the year-over-year increase in adoption of iOS.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    All devices? A lot of people I know are still running iOS 9. Where are they in the pie?

Besides, older devices running older iOS are performing BETTER than running newer iOS versions.
    edited August 2019
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    ivanh said:
    All devices? A lot of people I know are still running iOS 9. Where are they in the pie?

Besides, older devices running older iOS are performing BETTER than running newer iOS versions.
    Pretty obviously, in the "earlier" wedge.
    urahararacerhomie3chiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 7
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 434member
    ivanh said:

There are in the 3% represented on the chart. And yes older versions seemed more stable (my first iPhone was the 4s). Hence Apple’s focus on stability in the release of 12 and 13. iOS 11 was a bug fest imo. I’m loving iPad OS 13 public beta for sheer features and refinement. Let’s hope most of the bugs are squash on release. 
    caladanian
  • Reply 4 of 7
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    I'm finding it slightly confusing. The article starts out talking about 88% on compatible devices but the chart on the right says 88% on all devices.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    DAalseth said:
    I'm finding it slightly confusing. The article starts out talking about 88% on compatible devices but the chart on the right says 88% on all devices.
    The text explains (provides clarification) for the graphs...
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Is this among active devices or does the remaining 12% include broken or unused devices?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    mimsmims Posts: 24member
    Is this among active devices or does the remaining 12% include broken or unused devices?
    This was measured from visitors to the App Store. If the iPhone is broken / unused, it's safe to say that it is not part of the count. I also wonder about iOS 13. What percentage of us rebels are going against the advice of AI and Apple to install the public beta?