Apple Card opened up to more users ahead of official launch

Comments

• Reply 21 of 73
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I only signed up for the email notification yesterday so that may put me at the end of the queue, if they're using that as a method for the roll out. It's too bad (for me) that they aren't doing this based on how frequently you use Apple Pay.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 22 of 73
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    MplsP said:
    Bebe said:
    High credit card interest rate is irrelevant if you are diligent of not leaving balances.
    Yes. If you’re using a credit card properly, the interest rate is irrelevant.

For the people who have theirs, I’m curious - Is getting a physical card optional? Also, a previous thread stated that the card wasn’t compatible with Quicken and other financial software. Can anyone confirm or refute that?
    Getting a physical card is optional. The card and Wallet app is not compatible with auto-import to Quicken or other financial software.
    GeorgeBMaclostkiwi
  • Reply 23 of 73
    I noticed that the image of the card in Wallet has an etched effect that changes as you move your phone around, so it looks like the real etched titanium physical card we will get. Pretty slick!
    tobylwillisRayz2016
  • Reply 24 of 73
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,033member
    MplsP said:
    For the people who have theirs, I’m curious - Is getting a physical card optional?
    Yes, the physical card is optional. You are given the opportunity to decline the offer. You can also request one at a later time if you don't accept the offer when you apply.

Apple covers this in a support document:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209434
    Also, a previous thread stated that the card wasn’t compatible with Quicken and other financial software. Can anyone confirm or refute that?
    Sure. Unsurprisingly Apple confirms it in another support document:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209489

If you have other questions about the Apple Card, you may want to peruse:

https://support.apple.com/apple-card

Anyhow I was approved for a $9,000 credit limit with a 17.99% rate with a credit score of 802. That's a decidedly mediocre offering. The interest rate doesn't really matter to me since I pay off all my cards before the due date. I haven't paid a finance charge in over 20 years.

Until Apple/Goldman Sachs supports exporting data to Quicken, Mint.com, etc. this card is a black hole in terms of comprehensively monitoring my spending. I won't be using it much.
    edited August 2019 chemengin1cecil4444
  • Reply 25 of 73
    mpantone said:
    Anyhow I was approved for a $9,000 credit limit with a 17.99% rate with a credit score of 802. That's a decidedly mediocre offering.
    Yeah it is!

I was looking at GS's Marcus account and did their credit check, which also don't ding your credit until you accept their offer and they submit a hard check. They flat turned me down despite coming back with an 804 from TransUnion. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm sure I won't get turned down for an Apple Card, but I'm not expecting 12.99% (or more than a $10k limit) yet I see no reason why I shouldn't be given the best credit rating possible.
  • Reply 26 of 73
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    If you want to buy a tricked out Mac Pro, I bet in most cases they'll be inclined to levitate your credit limit ;-)
  • Reply 27 of 73
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    A few things of note:

I have what appears to be an answer to my question regarding payment by ACH transfer. In the Apple Pay/ Wallet control settings, I was offered the option to make the bank information i use for Apple Pay Cash the same as the bank information for Apple Card. It was indeed the ACH routing and account number, as I do not have a debit card. The authoritative answer will be when I make a payment, but it looks pretty definitive.

There is a scheduled payment option. Nice.

There is a MasterCard network benefits option. Also nice. I expect things to pop up here periodically, likely with some marketing efforts like emails. 

The T&C are linked too. Sometime when I'm bored, I may read closer to see if the Apple Card use is also subject to the usual T&C of Apple services - you know, the ones that govern use of your Apple Device...that curiously (and perhaps famously) prohibit using Apple devices from being used for illegal weapons (like WMDs.) Yes, legal esoterica, but I rather suspect Apple terms of service for iOS is a tad more restrictive than what a credit card issuer insists on. 
  • Reply 28 of 73
    eightzero said:
    The T&C are linked too. Sometime when I'm bored, I may read closer to see if the Apple Card use is also subject to the usual T&C of Apple services - you know, the ones that govern use of your Apple Device...that curiously (and perhaps famously) prohibit using Apple devices from being used for illegal weapons (like WMDs.) Yes, legal esoterica, but I rather suspect Apple terms of service for iOS is a tad more restrictive than what a credit card issuer insists on.
    You should read the T&C before you accept the offer.

But no, there's nothing like a Software License Agreement in the Apple Card customer agreement. It reads like a standard agreement from a credit card issuing bank.
    edited August 2019
  • Reply 29 of 73
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    mpantone said:
    eightzero said:

But no, there's nothing like a Software License Agreement in the Apple Card customer agreement. It reads like a standard agreement from a credit card issuing bank.
    I did, and you'll note I said I'd read closer again. The problem of course is that use of the Apple Card necessarily means using the iOS software that is subject to those other T&C. Do you think that is consistent with the FCRA?
  • Reply 30 of 73
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,241member
    robjn said:
    rob53 said:

edit: Also got an email from Apple saying there were changes to my billing information even though all my information was up to date.
    This is probably because you made the new card the default for you Apple purchases (in order to get the 3% cash back).

The card associated with your Apple ID was changed to the new one.
    Actually I didn't make it my default card. My Costco Visa is my default although this will probably change. I'll still use my Costco card for gas and purchases inside that store and the Apple Card for everything else.

I just went back to that setting and went ahead and selected it so all my Apple purchases with use that card. I thought it meant making the Apple Card my default ApplePay card.
    edited August 2019
  • Reply 31 of 73
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    MplsP said:
    Bebe said:
    High credit card interest rate is irrelevant if you are diligent of not leaving balances.
    Yes. If you’re using a credit card properly, the interest rate is irrelevant.

For the people who have theirs, I’m curious - Is getting a physical card optional? Also, a previous thread stated that the card wasn’t compatible with Quicken and other financial software. Can anyone confirm or refute that?
    Getting a physical card is optional. The card and Wallet app is not compatible with auto-import to Quicken or other financial software.
    Damn!   That just scratched it for me!   I was looking forward to getting one.   No longer.

But, aside from being disappointed that I can't get the card, I am disappointed in Apple -- because being able to download transactions has become pretty much a standard throughout the financial industry.   Honestly, it is so common, I never thought to ask!

p.s.  Thanks for info!   You stopped me from wasting my time!
    edited August 2019 cecil4444
  • Reply 32 of 73
    eightzero said:
    mpantone said:
    eightzero said:

I did, and you'll note I said I'd read closer again. The problem of course is that use of the Apple Card necessarily means using the iOS software that is subject to those other T&C. Do you think that is consistent with the FCRA?
    Sure, I don't see why not? The FCRA affects Goldman Sachs, not Apple. It states that Goldman Sachs must maintain certain records that may be requested by the Treasury Department. It promotes fairness and accuracy of consumer information used by consumer credit reporting agencies.

Technically, you could just use the physical platinum Apple Card for all of your transactions with the card. Goldman Sachs even has a provision that if you lose your qualified iPhone, you can still communicate to the Goldman Sachs customer service desk via phone, e-mail and make payments/administer your account in an alternate manner.

Note that you have already accepted the T&C of Apple. You have to accept during the setup process to finish the configuration. If you don't, you have a nice paperweight. It's still an iPhone and it's still your hardware.

Also, you are prompted to accept when new iOS software is installed and often when you try to access certain features.
    edited August 2019
  • Reply 33 of 73
    rob53 said:
    robjn said:
    rob53 said:

edit: Also got an email from Apple saying there were changes to my billing information even though all my information was up to date.
    This is probably because you made the new card the default for you Apple purchases (in order to get the 3% cash back).

The card associated with your Apple ID was changed to the new one.
    Actually I didn't make it my default card. My Costco Visa is my default although this will probably change. I'll still use my Costco card for gas and purchases inside that store and the Apple Card for everything else.

I just went back to that setting and went ahead and selected it so all my Apple purchases with use that card. I thought it meant making the Apple Card my default ApplePay card.
    Maybe not. One of the benefits of the Costco credit card is they offer an extra 2 year warranty for a total of 7 years for pretty much anything you buy, excluding vehicles, yup to $10k per item. That sounds like it's worth only getting 1% back from buying outside of Costco.

• Reply 34 of 73
    I got $40,000 credit limit and 12.99.  My credit score is 838.  Just an FYI if you didn’t notice or don’t have the card yet, if you tap on the card then select the options menu in the upper RH corner you’ll see Card information.  Select that and it gives you a credit card number along with exp date and security code for making purchases online.  This is a different card number than if you use Apple Pay directly from apple card.  I placed an order for a new iPad from Apple this morning using the credit card number and it works perfect.  I see the 3% cash back already.  
    kaitain4applesnorangeslostkiwiRayz2016
  • Reply 35 of 73
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    mpantone said:
    Also, a previous thread stated that the card wasn’t compatible with Quicken and other financial software. Can anyone confirm or refute that?

Until Apple/Goldman Sachs supports exporting data to Quicken, Mint.com, etc. this card is a black hole in terms of comprehensively monitoring my spending. I won't be using it much.
    Thanks for that info.
    That makes the Apple Card a non-starter for me.

Apple obviously worked very hard to report your spending in a timely meaningful way.   And, I'm sure that they did a very nice job of it.
    BUT, my spending is not limited to a single credit card.   It's comprised of multiple cards, checking account, income and money flowing in and out of investments, assets, liabilities, etc....   Reporting on ONE of those things is essentially worthless to me.   Quicken integrates all of that into a single package so that, I know every detail of every single penny that moved in or out of every one of any of my accounts for the past 20 years.  Aside from the basic information it has enabled me to manage my budget and account balances in a highly accurate, effective and efficient manner.

Nope!  I won't give up that level of financial management for any credit card.
    chemengin1
  • Reply 36 of 73
    I’m curious if anyone that got the card already is using the beta for iOS 13? Also, what if someone carries two phone (1 work 1 personal) can you put the card on both?
    I would imagine so. I have Apple Pay for cards on my iPhone, Watch, and Mac. You should at least be able to do a manual addition using the physical card details if your work phone doesn't have your personal iCloud credentials.
    edited August 2019 tobylwillis
  • Reply 37 of 73
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    mpantone said:
    MplsP said:
    For the people who have theirs, I’m curious - Is getting a physical card optional?
    Yes, the physical card is optional. You are given the opportunity to decline the offer. You can also request one at a later time if you don't accept the offer when you apply.

Apple covers this in a support document:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209434

If you have other questions about the Apple Card, you may want to peruse:

https://support.apple.com/apple-card

Anyhow I was approved for a $9,000 credit limit with a 17.99% rate with a credit score of 802. That's a decidedly mediocre offering. The interest rate doesn't really matter to me since I pay off all my cards before the due date. I haven't paid a finance charge in over 20 years.

Thanks for the info.  Ultimately, it's Goldman Sachs' call, not Apple's, although Apple could pressure GS on the issue, should they choose.  I agree with @GeorgeBMac, being incompatible with Quicken is a non-starter for many people and really unacceptable in this day and age. If you have more than one card (most people do,) software such as Quicken, Moneydance or Banktivity is the best way to keep track and make sure you don't miss things. My wife has a store card that won't import and we simply don't use it for that reason.

Soli said:
    mpantone said:
    Anyhow I was approved for a $9,000 credit limit with a 17.99% rate with a credit score of 802. That's a decidedly mediocre offering.
    Yeah it is!

I was looking at GS's Marcus account and did their credit check, which also don't ding your credit until you accept their offer and they submit a hard check. They flat turned me down despite coming back with an 804 from TransUnion. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm sure I won't get turned down for an Apple Card, but I'm not expecting 12.99% (or more than a $10k limit) yet I see no reason why I shouldn't be given the best credit rating possible.

That's a really piss-poor credit rate. I have 11.65% on my generic visa I get though my bank that also has a blanket 1% cash-back bonus.
    chemengin1
  • Reply 38 of 73
    MplsP said:
    Soli said:
    mpantone said:
    Yeah it is!

That's a really piss-poor credit rate. I have 11.65% on my generic visa I get though my bank that also has a blanket 1% cash-back bonus.
    No, no it's not. You getting a better APR doesn't equate to another being a point higher as being "piss-poor." The national average is 16.91%. My credit rating is well into the excellent range and yet I have a 22.xx% APR on my Chase Amazon card. That's not an issue for me since I pay off each statement in full, but it's still a very high APR. I keep it because 5% back on Amazon purchases has clear benefits since I don't carry a rolling balance. Furtherore, the reason your credit rating is so low is because your card has a poor rewards program. These cards are all designs to maximize their profit in various ways. Less stick less carrot, more stick more carrot.
  • Reply 39 of 73
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    Are people able to get the card on iOS 13? Most of what I've seen they're on 12.4. 
    12.4 only. 
    How do you know 12.4 only. I can’t find anything that says that?
    Because:

1) I work here and have been following it
    2) We've tried it in iOS 13 and it doesn't work
    and
    3) The functionality hasn't been added by Apple yet, and they've told us so.
    edited August 2019 tobylwillisGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 40 of 73
    MplsP said:
    Thanks for the info.  Ultimately, it's Goldman Sachs' call, not Apple's, although Apple could pressure GS on the issue, should they choose.  I agree with @GeorgeBMac, being incompatible with Quicken is a non-starter for many people and really unacceptable in this day and age. If you have more than one card (most people do,) software such as Quicken, Moneydance or Banktivity is the best way to keep track and make sure you don't miss things. My wife has a store card that won't import and we simply don't use it for that reason.

Apple Card transaction information is not available to online personal finance aggregators like Mint.com.

I have been using Quicken since the Nineties, Mint.com years before it was acquired by Intuit.

In my mind, it's a major oversight and disappointment. I really don't care what my spending categories are on any given card. What I care about is the aggregate view. If 10% of my Apple Card purchases are at coffee shops, that number is meaningless because I may be using other forms of payment at coffee shops (in fact, my usual mom-and-pop coffee shop is a cash only business).

It's really bizarre Goldman Sachs didn't make this happen. After all, they purchased the Clarity Money service a direct competitor to Mint.com. Apple Card isn't supported by Clarity Money either (I logged back into my account and looked). Clarity Money still hasn't added my credit union where I have three accounts (checking, savings, credit card) even though I submitted a request about three years ago.

If I recall correctly, another personal finance aggregator Personal Capital doesn't support cash transactions. Great, the $40 I spend at my weekly farmers market is a black hole as well as the $7 I spend weekly at the mom-and-pop coffee shop.

It's amazing that in 2019 these financial service businesses are still run by myopic blockheads.
    MplsPchemengin1cecil4444lostkiwi