Apple's 'iPhone 11' event is probably on September 10

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2019
An asset buried in the seventh iOS 13 beta suggests that the 'iPhone 11' will debut in an event on Tuesday, September 10.

Images nestled in the iOS 13 beta, labeled as "hold for release" have a September 10 date. This is the first time in this beta cycle that the date has been specified.

While the graphics aren't solid proof that the event is on Sept. 10, in previous years, the beta releases and full deployments did the same thing. In 2018, the graphic showed September 12 -- which was the same date as the event that saw the release of iOS 12 and the iPhone XS family.

As we noted in 2018, Apple has a relatively predictable history of September events. While only Apple knows for certain when the next models will be released, the odds are certain that the launch is just a couple of weeks away.

Until the last seven years, it wasn't really a given that Apple will reveal new iPhones in September. The very first one was announced in January of 2007, for instance. Then for the next three years, a new iPhone was the staple of June and WWDC. And in 2011, the iPhone 4s was revealed in October.

However, since then we've had seven consecutive years of iPhone special events at near or exactly the same time. It's always in the second week of September, for instance, although only just barely in 2016 when it was on Wednesday September 7.

The graphic was first spotted by iHelp BRM.

There has been some speculation that there will be three models debuting at Apple's event and releasing simultaneously later in the month, with at least one of the models given the "Pro" tag. The range is thought to include one LCD iPhone and two OLED ones, and a recent render from a case manufacturer suggests a modification to the mute switch.

The new model is rumored to have a square camera cutout. The replacement for the iPhone XR is predicted to have two camera lenses, with the higher-end models having three, including a regular lens, a telephoto one and, new to the range, a wide-angle lens.

As well as the well-reported camera system, the higher-end new iPhones are expected to feature the ability to charge other devices. This is said to be similar to the functionality in the newly-announced Galaxy Note 10.

Apple is expected to reveal its new iPhones in September, as it generally does. Reports by Ming-Chi Kuo and others, suggest that Apple will wait until the release of the September 2020 iPhones to introduce 5G, and at the same time it will reduce the size of the notch needed for Face ID.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    The day before 9/11? That seems like a tone-deaf choice of dates.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,837administrator
    Why? Last year's iPhone event was on 9/12.
    edited August 2019 CloudTalkinStrangeDayslolliverfastasleepargonautchemengin1watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 25
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,300member
    I’m not getting excited yet.
    jahbladekkqd1337SpamSandwichchemengin1
  • Reply 4 of 25
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    They skip 9/11 all the time.

Most likely 9/10 or 9/12.
    kkqd1337argonaut
  • Reply 5 of 25
    tjwolftjwolf Posts: 424member
    Would it still be tone deaf had they chosen 9/9 or 9/13?  9/8 or 9/14?  Seems like an oversensitive objection.
    StrangeDaysdesignrlolliverMplsPseanjchemengin1watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 25
    kkqd1337kkqd1337 Posts: 423member
    that camera notch looks horrific, i can't believe that is staying this year. 

i do like FaceID - but would I rather the note 10 camera cut out? yes. 
    seanjchemengin1
  • Reply 7 of 25
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    Actually what seems tone-deaf (not to mention absurd) is that 9/10 (or 9/12) would have any special meaning...

It's amazing what BS people think, or even complain about!
    StrangeDayspaisleydiscololliverfastasleepseanjargonautchemengin1watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 25
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    kkqd1337 said:
    It's just OCD speaking, most people could not care less...
    StrangeDayslolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 25
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,821member
    Indeed, why? Is the entire week of a nearly two-decade old terror event reserved for non-commerce? If so the terrorists have won. 
    designrlolliverfastasleepmuthuk_vanalingambeowulfschmidtchemengin1watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 25

kkqd1337 said:

Complete non-issue in actual use. Give no more thought to it than I do having my rear-view mirror (and Subaru’s EyeSight camera array) cut into my windshield. The function outweighs the loss of space and I don’t even notice either. 
    edited August 2019 lolliverfastasleepMplsPwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 25

kkqd1337 said:

Complete non-issue in actual use. Give no more thought to it than I do having my rear-view mirror (and Subaru’s EyeSight camera array) cut into my windshield. The function outweighs the loss of space and I don’t even notice either. 
    I agree. In use I don’t notice it, but on that image it looks awful.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 25
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,052member
    I'll be tuning it, but not buying. Shall we commence the speculation on what "one more thing" will be? Maybe some info on AppleTV+. Free with an Apple Music subscription would seem to be a good starting point; a bundle of AppleTV+, Apple News, and Apple Music for $9.99/mo, or $14.99/mo family plan better. 

Or if Apple not doing that, maybe some wireless carriers will toss it in for free. 

Can't imagine anything more boring that an Apple event that says "here's three new iphones like we always do. look at these new features and how great they are and that we will now talk about for 2 hours." Yuck. 
  • Reply 13 of 25
    eightzero said:
    I'll be tuning it, but not buying. Shall we commence the speculation on what "one more thing" will be? Maybe some info on AppleTV+. Free with an Apple Music subscription would seem to be a good starting point; a bundle of AppleTV+, Apple News, and Apple Music for $9.99/mo, or $14.99/mo family plan better. 

Or if Apple not doing that, maybe some wireless carriers will toss it in for free. 

Can't imagine anything more boring that an Apple event that says "here's three new iphones like we always do. look at these new features and how great they are and that we will now talk about for 2 hours." Yuck. 
    How about: “Here are three new phones with better cameras and a cooler array of sensors on the high-end model...” and then (... ONE MORE THING...) “...Introducing Apple Transit, a new way to get from ‘where you are to where you’re going’, and the all new Apple View augmented reality system.”
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 25
    I don't think I've heard of a single Watch Series 5 rumor… there'd at least be some FCC filings by now, right? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 25
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,398member
    eightzero said:
    Oh good, the preemptive iPhone event complaining has begun. Don't watch it, then.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 25
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member

kkqd1337 said:

Totally agree. my only real complaint is that I wish the notch were slightly narrower so they could put a bit more information in the 'ears' (e.g. battery percent) I've had my XS for about 9 months and virtually never notice the notch. I do appreciate the convenience and accuracy of FaceID, however.

For the people complaining about the notch, why don't they complain that the entire top of the screen before was taken up by the clock, cell signal display, etc?
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 25
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,052member
    eightzero said:
    Oh good, the preemptive iPhone event complaining has begun. Don't watch it, then.
    Eh. More fun to watch it, then comment here about how much it sucked. 
    beowulfschmidtchemengin1
  • Reply 18 of 25
    New iPhone and hopefully new iPad Pro for me!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 25
    kkqd1337 said:

kkqd1337 said:

I agree. In use I don’t notice it, but on that image it looks awful.
    Good thing using a piece of equipment isn’t the same as looking at a picture of it.  B)
    edited August 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 25

eightzero said:
    Here’s where you’re confused - their continual improvement to their tools isn’t designed to entertain you like Saturday morning cartoons. These tools get better every year, and that’s a good thing. They aren’t going to introduce random BS just to make the event more interesting to you. 

I have a hard time imagining power tool customers complaining on forums about Dewalt or Bosch gear.

“OMG their cordless impact driver looks just like last year’s!”

“Same old tools. Where is the innovation? Give us something new!”

...lol. And yet, bored techies do this very thing.
    edited August 2019 watto_cobra