How to find your Apple Card number to buy something online

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 17
How do you buy something with a credit card that has no numbers printed on it? Fortunately, thanks to the Wallet App, you can get your card number in just a few seconds with no fuss.

The Apple Card comes without a traditional number printed on the front
The Apple Card comes without a traditional number printed on the front


The Apple Card has long been known to not feature any numbers on it. While a large portion of this choice was likely aesthetic as a card number would ruin that sleek, minimalist luxury feeling, there's also a security angle to omitting a visible number.

The Apple Card has the ability to switch your card number on the fly. This means that you -- not the card issuer -- are the first line of defense against card theft. If ever you feel like someone has the ability to do something nefarious with your card number, you can request a new card number instantly.

Requesting a new card number is always one tap away
Requesting a new card number is always one tap away


That still leaves the question of how you get the card number in the first place. Unsurprisingly, like a lot of services designed by Apple, it's a relatively quick process.
  • On your iPhone, open the Wallet app.

  • Select your Apple Card by tapping on it.

  • Tap the additional options menu designated by the three dots in the upper left corner.

  • Verify your ID, either via passcode, touchID, or faceID.

  • Tap Card Information.
Step by step walkthrough of retrieving your Apple Card number


Once you're in the menu, you can scroll down and see your card number and the associated security code. In this menu is also the ability to request a new card number.

Apple Card number


After you buy something with your Apple Card, it's important to make sure you know how to pay off your purchases as well.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 38
    Man, if someone can’t figure this out on their own ...
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 38
    SoliSoli Posts: 9,261member
    Hopefully you won't have to do that as Apple Pay gets more common for websites, but in lieu of that being an option I would suggest people add this information to 1Password (or another password manager) so that you can easily use that CC with a click without having to look it up each time.
    SoundJudgment
  • Reply 3 of 38
    Soli said:
    Hopefully you won't have to do that as Apple Pay gets more common for websites, but in lieu of that being an option I would suggest people add this information to 1Password (or another password manager) so that you can easily use that CC with a click without having to look it up each time.
    Or add it to the Apple Password manager.
    boxcatcher
  • Reply 4 of 38
    macguimacgui Posts: 1,456member
    Man, if someone can’t figure this out on their own ...
    That's easy to say while looking at a tutorial.  That said, a UI should be intuitive enough where nobody has to 'figure' it out at all. And a lot of Apple UI is not well done.

    Also this little tutorial serves to answer all the panicky questions about buying online that people have been asking since the card was announced. Now they can know in advance without having to figure it out.
    MplsPwilliamlondonGeorgeBMacmuthuk_vanalingamchemengin1
  • Reply 5 of 38
    Can you have one fixed one and one ephemeral?

    Or when you generate one, is that the only one temporarily tied to the account?

    For example, you might use the fixed one on Amazon, but any other purchases online gets a temp.
  • Reply 6 of 38
    Can you have one fixed one and one ephemeral?

    Or when you generate one, is that the only one temporarily tied to the account?

    For example, you might use the fixed one on Amazon, but any other purchases online gets a temp.
    You can readily request a new one, but the notes say is meant for If you think your number has been compromised
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 38
    macgui said:
    Man, if someone can’t figure this out on their own ...
    That's easy to say while looking at a tutorial.
    I figured it out without this tutorial ... it literally says, “View your card number” — not exactly rocket science.
    williamlondonapplesnorangeswatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 38
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 4,871administrator
    macgui said:
    Man, if someone can’t figure this out on their own ...
    That's easy to say while looking at a tutorial.
    I figured it out without this tutorial ... it literally says, “View your card number” — not exactly rocket science.
    It's good that you did, but as a reminder, AppleInsider is for everybody. 

    This has been a frequent request.
    bonobobchristophbJFC_PAeightzerowilliamlondonGeorgeBMacapplesnorangesfastasleepmuthuk_vanalingamchemengin1
  • Reply 9 of 38
    Can you have one fixed one and one ephemeral?

    Or when you generate one, is that the only one temporarily tied to the account?

    For example, you might use the fixed one on Amazon, but any other purchases online gets a temp.
    You can NOT have two numbers - ever.   Only a single number is assigned to your account, but this can be changed if the card is lost or compromised.  Unlike other cards, you can do this from Apple Wallet directly yourself - or, as is the case with other cards, the card company can change it on their end if they suspect problems and it will show up in Wallet along with their notification.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 38
    OK, so...
    if your away from your home computer and your phone battery dies...
    or even your portable mac battery... 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 11 of 38
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 4,871administrator
    OK, so...
    if your away from your home computer and your phone battery dies...
    or even your portable mac battery... 
    Then you're probably not buying anything online, and you can use your physical card at a retailer to buy a USB charger.
    bonobobJFC_PAStrangeDayseightzeroRayz2016williamlondonrazorpitGeorgeBMacbigtdsmacgui
  • Reply 12 of 38
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 1,651member
    According to this article I found online, the number given in the app is actually a virtual number. The actual card number is stored in the magnetic stripe on the card itself. If this is the case, Requesting a ‘new card number’ is really just assigning a new virtual card number. If the actual number on the card gets compromised, you’re probably still stuck getting a new physical card. Making virtual numbers, either via Apple Pay, the card chip, or the card app the default method of payment is clearly more secure, and greatly simplifies the old process of getting a new card, since GS simply needs to generate a new virtual number and link it to your account. 

    the system isn’t without flaws, however. If the true account number is actually stored on the physical card, as the tech crunch article says, it’s still vulnerable to skimming - if a gas pump has a skimmer installed, or if a shady waiter has one in their pocket, they can get access to your card’s data. Also, if you can only have one virtual number at a time, that means you’re still stuck with the hassle of changing the info with all the vendors with whom you have recurring payments. The biggest problem is that the most common source of account compromise/fraud is with online vendors. Since Apple Pay with online merchants is the exception, not the norm (and I’ve had mixed luck with it, even among those who do accept it,) the problem of getting your number hacked will likely not improve significantly. 

    Of all the times my accounts have been compromised, I’ve never had to pay a dime. Ultimately, the security really benefits GS, not consumers. Indirectly, it is possible that lower institution costs could translate to lower interest rates, etc, so we’ll see. 

    https://techcrunch.com/2019/03/28/how-apple-card-works/
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 13 of 38
    SoliSoli Posts: 9,261member
    emoeller said:
    Can you have one fixed one and one ephemeral?

    Or when you generate one, is that the only one temporarily tied to the account?

    For example, you might use the fixed one on Amazon, but any other purchases online gets a temp.
    You can NOT have two numbers - ever.   Only a single number is assigned to your account, but this can be changed if the card is lost or compromised.  Unlike other cards, you can do this from Apple Wallet directly yourself - or, as is the case with other cards, the card company can change it on their end if they suspect problems and it will show up in Wallet along with their notification.
    Sure you can. Apple Works by your financial institution creating a new card number for each device in which you set it up on. This is linked to you account. That's the ephemeral card number  seanismorris mentions.

    You can see end of the physical card number and your device-specific Apple Card number in the Wallet app. If you delete a credit card from Apple Pay and set it up again you should see that ephemeral number change.

    You can even have a single account with multiple physical card numbers for different users on an account, but this is not something that the is currently offered by GS's Apple Card.
    edited August 17
  • Reply 14 of 38
    Can you have one fixed one and one ephemeral?

    Or when you generate one, is that the only one temporarily tied to the account?

    For example, you might use the fixed one on Amazon, but any other purchases online gets a temp.
    You can readily request a new one, but the notes say is meant for If you think your number has been compromised
    I’d be tempted to generate a new credit card number for every online purchase...

    They say “trust but verify” ... my default is distrust.

    Experian: “The IRTC report also stated that the number of credit card numbers exposed in 2017 totaled 14.2 million, up 88% over 2016.”

    Generating a new credit card number on the fly, might be the #1 advantage of Apple Card.
  • Reply 15 of 38
    MplsP said:
    According to this article I found online, the number given in the app is actually a virtual number. The actual card number is stored in the magnetic stripe on the card itself. If this is the case, Requesting a ‘new card number’ is really just assigning a new virtual card number. If the actual number on the card gets compromised, you’re probably still stuck getting a new physical card. Making virtual numbers, either via Apple Pay, the card chip, or the card app the default method of payment is clearly more secure, and greatly simplifies the old process of getting a new card, since GS simply needs to generate a new virtual number and link it to your account. 

    the system isn’t without flaws, however. If the true account number is actually stored on the physical card, as the tech crunch article says, it’s still vulnerable to skimming - if a gas pump has a skimmer installed, or if a shady waiter has one in their pocket, they can get access to your card’s data. Also, if you can only have one virtual number at a time, that means you’re still stuck with the hassle of changing the info with all the vendors with whom you have recurring payments. The biggest problem is that the most common source of account compromise/fraud is with online vendors. Since Apple Pay with online merchants is the exception, not the norm (and I’ve had mixed luck with it, even among those who do accept it,) the problem of getting your number hacked will likely not improve significantly. 

    Of all the times my accounts have been compromised, I’ve never had to pay a dime. Ultimately, the security really benefits GS, not consumers. Indirectly, it is possible that lower institution costs could translate to lower interest rates, etc, so we’ll see. 

    https://techcrunch.com/2019/03/28/how-apple-card-works/
    The hope is that most venders will accept Apple Pay as it’s more secure.  The credit card number is the backup to aid adoption.  Hopefully skimmers will become obsolete.  Skimming Apple Pay transactions in theory are much more difficult.

    I agree online credit card risk is the main risk, which is why virtual credit card numbers is so great.  Unfortunately, I’m not sure Amazon will ever accept Apple Pay, unless at some point there is a consumer lawsuit.

    I usually avoid other online retailers when possible.  Traveling/booking a hotel would be my #2 concern online, I’d use a virtual cc number every time.  In 2018 “Marriott Hacking Exposes Data of Up to 500 Million Guests” was news... I question their competency in keeping anything secure.  My default to distrust has paid off so far... no accounts compromised.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 16 of 38
    Apple Card also automatically appears in Safari Autofill for credit cards. For online sites that don’t use Apple Pay, this is the easiest way to use the card. I’m not even sure that I’ll bother adding the card to 1Password, since its number may change more often than with other credit cards.
    mr lizardStrangeDaysfastasleep
  • Reply 17 of 38
    SoliSoli Posts: 9,261member
    alexclst said:
    Apple Card also automatically appears in Safari Autofill for credit cards. For online sites that don’t use Apple Pay, this is the easiest way to use the card. I’m not even sure that I’ll bother adding the card to 1Password, since its number may change more often than with other credit cards.
    That's a nice bonus feature for ease of use.

    Of course, this, the RFID chip in the envelope, and all those other little bonuses exist in each and every card that has ever existed… at least that's what people who say the Apple Card offers zero advantages are saying /s.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 38
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 625member
    If you autofill, it'll request FINGERPRINT, and put the sucker in much akin to was ^^^ Alexcist just said...  It's NOT Apple Pay, but it will get you a number...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 38
    You don’t need to do this to use your Apple Card to buy something online. Safari will offer up your Apple Card in the autofill bar when you’re at the checkout stage. Just tap it and Safari will populate the card number field for you. 
    applesnorangeswatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 38
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 4,871administrator
    mr lizard said:
    You don’t need to do this to use your Apple Card to buy something online. Safari will offer up your Apple Card in the autofill bar when you’re at the checkout stage. Just tap it and Safari will populate the card number field for you. 
    It doesn't always. This depends on the implementation of the site.
    GeorgeBMacapplesnorangeswatto_cobra
Sign In or Register to comment.