Editorial: Here's why the 'iPhone 11' will do fine, despite no 5G

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    JWSC said:

Until they can figure out how to get 5G to penetrate walls thicker than cardboard, it’s application will be limited (that’s an understatement).

But my iPhone 7, good as it has been, is nearing its end of life.  I’m looking forward to using my Apple Card to purchase a new iPhone and a new 27” iMac with 3% rewards!  A thousand for the iPhone plus $2.5K for the iMac will get me around $100.  Not huge but I’ll take it.

Part of the 5G spec can. The fast mmWave part can't, which is what I'm assuming you're talking about.

mmWave won't ever penetrate walls thicker than cardboard. Physics are a bitch.
    JWSCtmaylolliverfastasleepGeorgeBMacMplsPwatto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 48
    seanjseanj Posts: 318member
    Taking a survey of USA based consumers and extrapolating it to apply to the entire world is not going to produce an accurate picture. With roll out of 5G lagging behind in the USA, naturally American consumers are not going to regard 5G as important.
    But in countries that already have networks offering 5G then consumers are savvy about how revolutionary it’s going to be, and demand for 5G phones exist.
    Which is why I this Brit like many others, will be holding off until Apple launch a 5G iPhone.
    muthuk_vanalingamGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 43 of 48
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,340member
    JWSC said:
    tmay said:
    Rajka said:
    I won't be purchasing an iPhone 11. I currently boycott Apple simply because I do not like what it is today, just another behemoth corporation that focuses primarily on shareholder greed rather than its customers. I boycott Apple because that is my best vote, or non-vote in this case. I will, however, continue to buy Apple products (for now) but only for replacement with an Apple device that dies; and then I will purchase the least expensive model. My boycott will last until Apple embraces the core values cultivated by Steve Jobs. Jobs was not perfect, but he demanded from Apple excellence. He dictated that Apple should deliver the very best user experience possible for a modest premium, the so called Apple tax. I agreed with this model and was passionate for Apple for decades, gladly proselytizing Apple at every opportunity. Today, I'm angry with Apple at times and meh at best. I don't expect things to change under Tim Cook. In fact, I expect things to continue to worsen, even as Apple's fortunes rise. But I have hope for his successor. Time will tell. In the meantime, maybe two guys in a garage are building the next great thing and I can jump the platform ship.
    As a Mac 128 user, a hugely expensive machine at that time, I can state that Apple's "core values cultivated by Steve Jobs" is alive and well. Maybe, just maybe, you are the one who has forgotten what those core values actually are. You might not be aware that Apple had that near death experience in 1996, barely survived, and did so only because of the team and culture that Steve Jobs built at Apple, which continues to this day.

128K Macintosh.  1984.  I bought one at Carnegie Mellon in my undergraduate days.  Upgraded to 512K when that became available. Magical days.
    I ordered the 128K about three weeks after announcement, and also did the 512K upgrade when it was available. I used to haul it to work in a big padded bag. Me and some of the other engineers used it for presentations that we were doing related to  equipment funding at our Naval facility in Alameda. There wasn't anything close to its capability, although another department had a couple of Lisa's available.

I use PC's for my MCAD stuff, but it's almost to the point that I don't even need to anymore. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 48
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Deleted here too, BigMike. Specifically for violation of Rule 12.

Summarize your post, link to the original. Do not copy and paste it here again.
    edited August 2019 lolliverfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 48
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    Rajka said:
    I won't be purchasing an iPhone 11. I currently boycott Apple simply because I do not like what it is today, just another behemoth corporation that focuses primarily on shareholder greed rather than its customers. I boycott Apple because that is my best vote, or non-vote in this case. I will, however, continue to buy Apple products (for now) but only for replacement with an Apple device that dies; and then I will purchase the least expensive model. My boycott will last until Apple embraces the core values cultivated by Steve Jobs. Jobs was not perfect, but he demanded from Apple excellence. He dictated that Apple should deliver the very best user experience possible for a modest premium, the so called Apple tax. I agreed with this model and was passionate for Apple for decades, gladly proselytizing Apple at every opportunity. Today, I'm angry with Apple at times and meh at best. I don't expect things to change under Tim Cook. In fact, I expect things to continue to worsen, even as Apple's fortunes rise. But I have hope for his successor. Time will tell. In the meantime, maybe two guys in a garage are building the next great thing and I can jump the platform ship.
    Nobody cares.
    seanjwatto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 48
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Rajka said:
    *yawn*
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 48
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    Next year they'll be saying that 5G is not a sufficient reason to upgrade the iPhone - and to be honest they would be mostly correct. 2020/21 is not going to bring ubiquitous 5G coverage, nor will it bring technologies that will utilise the 5G latency and bandwidth benefits where existing wireless coverage wouldn't provide a comparable experience.

If pure performance was the key selling feature of mobile phones, then there would be a lot more iPhone users out there.

The 4G to 5G upgrade echos the transition to 4K television. Non essential, only small experiential changes and limited scope for genuine use.
    edited August 2019 MplsPFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 48
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    tmay said:
    JWSC said:
    tmay said:
    Rajka said:
    As a Mac 128 user, a hugely expensive machine at that time, I can state that Apple's "core values cultivated by Steve Jobs" is alive and well. Maybe, just maybe, you are the one who has forgotten what those core values actually are. You might not be aware that Apple had that near death experience in 1996, barely survived, and did so only because of the team and culture that Steve Jobs built at Apple, which continues to this day.

128K Macintosh.  1984.  I bought one at Carnegie Mellon in my undergraduate days.  Upgraded to 512K when that became available. Magical days.
    I ordered the 128K about three weeks after announcement, and also did the 512K upgrade when it was available. I used to haul it to work in a big padded bag. Me and some of the other engineers used it for presentations that we were doing related to  equipment funding at our Naval facility in Alameda. There wasn't anything close to its capability, although another department had a couple of Lisa's available.

I use PC's for my MCAD stuff, but it's almost to the point that I don't even need to anymore. 
    Mine was supplied by my IT company -- along with the postscript printer.   All of which surprised me since it was very much an IBM shop.   But, it was great for proposals, presentations, project planning and documentation.